Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,957 members, 7,835,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa (39530 Views)

With The Current Rate Of Japa, Is Poverty Rate Exaggerated In Nigeria? / Dark Side Of Rome; Life Of Undocumented Immigrants In Italy / The Real Reasons Why Many Are Stuck Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by GoodFaith: 3:23pm On Sep 19, 2023
tshtsh:

I learnt long ago that building wealth and attaining financial freedom is a very slow process that requires consistency and perseverance. The Nigerian culture can be oppressive hence people feel they need to acquire things they don’t need or can barely afford to prove to others that they’ve arrived. I don’t subscribe to that and I enjoy my peaceful life. My 15 year old Camry is there in Lagos. Once I’m in naija I start it and drive around. Some people have been telling me that as I’m in Canada I ought to have shipped in a better car but I no send them. Even in the Toronto I don’t have a car. Rented an apartment 2 mins walk from a subway station / bus station and it’s serving me well. I no dey compete lol
Dude
" building wealth and attaining financial freedom is a very slow process "-- hard
Building wealth have opportunity Cost what are you giving up for a better tomorrow
agreed with You
Edo state
I use bus, keke and Bolt
I left home over 37 years ago.
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Nobody: 3:29pm On Sep 19, 2023
People's mothers are dying everyday while still being stuck in Nigeria.

People will always die!

2 Likes

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by lendahand(m): 3:30pm On Sep 19, 2023
tshtsh:

Nigerians that even earn 500k monthly can do many things easily without being in debt. Two of my guys who moved to Canada less than a year ago are already in possession of a BMW and Mercedes indebted to the tune of almost $50,000 each. They sent pictures of the car to people in Nigeria already lol showing how great there life is.
so what's the essence of the pomp and show?? That's the fake lifestyle that guy was talking about...
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Ifakiland(m): 3:31pm On Sep 19, 2023
sukkot:
So this topic has to be explored because I know many people personally under this category. Now I don’t know about other countries but let’s focus on the UK for this topic.

I know that unless you are extremely lucky it is going to take you between 10 to 15 years to fully settle in terms of papers and money and career and housing etc. in between that time you are running from pillar to post and the silent prayer is that God please don’t let my mother or father fall sick within this 10 to 15 year timespan or else I am most likely never going to see them again.

Well I have many friends and relatives who this happened to. In that time span that they are still unsettled and looking for paper or money, mama get cancer for naija. They are stuck abroad. Mama eventually die. So they never got to see their mother for over 10 years and will never see her again.

So I guess the question is if you find yourself in a situation like this, being in the UK for over 8 years and papers never correct so you are stuck, then you hear that your mother is dying.

WHAT DO YOU DO? DO YOU ABORT MISSION AND RETURN BACK TO NIGERIA TO BE WITH YOUR DYING MOTHER KNOWING YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO RETURN TO THE UK AGAIN OR DO YOU JUST FASHI MAMA AND LET HER DIE WHILE YOU CoNTINUE YOUR QUEST TO LOOK FOR PAPERS AND POUNDS ? What would you do?
thats why you need to japa with correct visa and paper.....illegal immigration isnt japa, its a crime.

1 Like

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by fetrillion(m): 3:32pm On Sep 19, 2023
Amotolongbo:
One could leave the UK and travel out to wherever one wants if you enter into the country legitimately. It is even hard to live and prosper in the UK illegally nowadays.
One doesn’t have to wait till after 10 or 15years before one can go back to see the loved ones in Nigeria except you are not sincere or something is shady.

If you have the Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) as a student, worker or a dependant, you could enter and go out so far you have your money for flight and informed your school or took permission from your place of work.

That your kind of scenario is common in Canada, Australia and US where people that are extremely fortunate to enter with tourist visa or student visa and decided not to go again.

The op is uninformed.

This write-up should not even be centered on UK because you can hardly survive in UK illegally.

If you even find yourself in Scotland,you are dead.Because without your brb ,you can't do anything meaningful.

98 percent of employer here would ask you for your sharecode/Write to work validity visa.

The op should have focused more on US,CANADA.
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Ifakiland(m): 3:33pm On Sep 19, 2023
sukkot:
it’s a reality. Just happened to my relative 2 weeks ago. I am still in mourning. Obviously I am related to the woman who passed
so your relative na illegal immigrant? that your relative problem....nobody said you cant visit home cos you japa na your relative no get valid visa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by fykes(m): 3:36pm On Sep 19, 2023
sukkot:
the bolded. yes.

in UK as well but with UK its lack of money that makes most people stuck. you need like 5000 pounds for a journey like this. not many can gather 5000 pounds cash.

I don't know where you people live in UK...5k pounds is nothing if you work as a PM in London even some care workers make 5k in a month
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by fykes(m): 3:38pm On Sep 19, 2023
fetrillion:

The op is uninformed.

This write-up should not even be centered on UK because you can hardly survive in UK illegally.

If you even find yourself in Scotland,you are dead.Because without your brb ,you can't do anything meaningful.

98 percent of employer here would ask you for your sharecode/Write to work validity visa.

The op should have focused more on US,CANADA.

I marvel at the boldness of ignorance on this forum. Peeps just pick up their lousy phones to boldly type about societies they know nothing about and then seek to pass it off as veritable even to other people with first hand experience. Duh
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by GoodFaith: 3:38pm On Sep 19, 2023
tshtsh:

What is the justification for moving abroad without the right permit ? If I am narrow minded for moving abroad with "paper" as you call it or thinking that the proper thing to do is to be a legal resident then so be it. There are tons of Nigerians in Canada with valid study permit, work permit, PR and citizens. Those that opted to come here as tourists and stay back for 15 years stuck made the choice. I won't normalize it after all everyone I know in Canada has a valid right of residence.

People move for better life
U are not narrow minded for having paper before u moved to Canada- smart move
You thinking all Nigerians have the same opportunity like U is not correct
from illegal to legal 90% of Nigerians
Please don't tell me about Canada because I know better.
Canada is my second home from my present third home
I felt I could do better in my present home than Canada when I moved out of Canada and Yes I have done better
Canada is a better place compared to 28 years ago for black regarding jobs opportunities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by folake4u(f): 3:42pm On Sep 19, 2023
Sweetvie:
You dey mind Sukkot grin grin

Lmao. Na your brother oh. grin
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by lendahand(m): 3:42pm On Sep 19, 2023
GoodFaith:
\

That is the mistake some people make
A co-worker told me I was hiding my high end car at home Mercedes. I told him I don't have any high car that was like 6 years ago,
Today I am still driving my old car
Other co-worker that seat across from me once told me thanks. because he hear lot of my personal business why I am on the phone
He made the same move I was moving in life
Dude said he might retire sooner that he was planning
why do I have headache reading your English?? To think you're in Canada is even more worrisome...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by fykes(m): 3:46pm On Sep 19, 2023
alphabbey1:

So if I didn't quote you, you won't know you are supposed to add these to your initial reply.
Someone that read your message will belive Canada student route is same as UK student route...

And for the bolded, you are still wrong using the word easier... Maybe its UK of olden days you are reffering to.... The care Job will still be sold to you, if you like, be living beside the agency house... They ain't gonna give you sponsorship for free....
And don't tell me you've seen someone that got the care with sponsorship for free, there are always exception and whataboutism to things.... We talking of general cases here...

And am not the type you will be forming proudness for with that ur statement you started with "cho cho cho". If you are rich, am equally rich. We just no dey form for here.... so relax ur ego and have civil conversation

No cap wetin you no know...free care sponsorship plenty here. Especially auxillary care. Infact one is currently ongoing in Reading as this morning
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by GoodFaith: 3:47pm On Sep 19, 2023
lendahand:
why do I have headache reading your English?? To think you're in Canada is even more worrisome.
Sorry, I haven't lived in Canada for over 28 years now.
I knew I could do better in other country. I moved had PR
I moved out and I have done better now.
Canada was great and Canada is a different place today compared to 28 years ago
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Rebelutionary: 3:56pm On Sep 19, 2023
kingsleyLAF07:

Why is it that it's only the negative side of Japa that people keep on posting. Are there no positive sides? No matter your location there must still be challenges, just that each location has unique challenges. I wish everyone who has japad a great and fulfilled life abroad.
There are no "Positives" or "Negatives", there are only REALITIES!. The thing with Nigerians is anytime one presents an alternate reality we harshly discountenance it or we zoom into the "it is not my portion" zone. To broaden the conversation of what @sukkot is saying; there are lessons to be learnt on both realities and if only we would consider objectively both sides of the coin we will better guide our life choices!

I remember when Pastor (Dr) Emmanuel Olumide did that explosive series on this Japa thing and people said the same thing you are saying that he was painting it all doom and gloom! Hmmm...dont we have Nigerians in this category that the OP raised being offloaded back to Nigeria? Maybe if they had been more informed, maybe they wouldn't take the illegal route and find themselves in the unfortunate situation they now find themselves. Truth be told not every person who japa (legally) has business doing so.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by GoodFaith: 4:00pm On Sep 19, 2023
Rebelutionary:

There are no "Positives" or "Negatives", there are only REALITIES!. The thing with Nigerians is anytime one presents an alternate reality we harshly discountenance it or we zoom into the "it is not my portion" zone. To broaden the conversation of what @sukkot is saying; there are lessons to be learnt on both realities and if only we would consider objectively both sides of the coin we will better guide our life choices!

I remember when Pastor (Dr) Emmanuel Olumide did that explosive series on this Japa thing and people said the same thing you are saying that he was painting it all doom and gloom! Hmmm...dont we have Nigerians in this category that the OP raised being offloaded back to Nigeria? Maybe if they had been more informed, maybe they wouldn't take the illegal route and find themselves in the unfortunate situation they now find themselves. Truth be told not every person who japa (legally) has business doing so.

Like u said there are "Positives" or "Negative"
some become successful why other failed.
life is a chance, hard work, some common sense and God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Celepope: 4:05pm On Sep 19, 2023
I have been on Nairaland for quite awhile and this dude Sukkot is one of the most pitiful people I’ve ever come across on this forum. He always sound depressed I guess it’s owing to his failure in his sojourn abroad. People that behave this way are mostly people that were either deported or were miserable and feel the system rigged them out. We have millions of people doing well abroad but he only chooses the stories of those not doing well to fuel his frustration. God forbid I have this kind of people around me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by juman(m): 4:05pm On Sep 19, 2023
Dont travel abroad if you are doing well at home. Its only good for sapa people.
It tough to make money in abroad.

Recently I often use uber in the night. I discussed with the drivers how far.
They said in any day they desire good money, they have to drive for fourteen to sixteen hours that day.
They said money from eight hours drive is only enough to pay bills.

Abroad is tough.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by fiyi: 4:07pm On Sep 19, 2023
Amotolongbo:
One could leave the UK and travel out to wherever one wants if you enter into the country legitimately. It is even hard to live and prosper in the UK illegally nowadays.
One doesn’t have to wait till after 10 or 15years before one can go back to see the loved ones in Nigeria except you are not sincere or something is shady.

If you have the Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) as a student, worker or a dependant, you could enter and go out so far you have your money for flight and informed your school or took permission from your place of work.

That your kind of scenario is common in Canada, Australia and US where people that are extremely fortunate to enter with tourist visa or student visa and decided not to go again.

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Sweetvie: 4:09pm On Sep 19, 2023
folake4u:

Lmao. Na your brother oh. grin
How he take be my brother grin grin
Na Yoruba guy?
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by KaptainAfrika: 4:18pm On Sep 19, 2023
That's why you have Whatsapp Video...don't let your mum swear for you. Besides if you can make a case to your employer, you may be able to visit.
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by SIRTee15: 4:19pm On Sep 19, 2023
sukkot:
your inferiority complex is nauseating. Why are you comparing yourself or competing with an Indian man ? Live your own life man geeezzz

I think u need to heed your won advice.
Leave abroad people alone. Leave those who wants to seek greener pasture elsewhere alone.

Live your own life in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by BluelightHotel: 4:24pm On Sep 19, 2023
I’m sure that your parents will always want you to be happy lol,you can’t lose your parents and lose your money too..so there’s no point going back only to start suffering few weeks later.imo.
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by UnfairLife7(m): 4:38pm On Sep 19, 2023
sukkot:
lol bro do people have to complain to you before you know their plight ? And yes a few people are complaining lol. I posted the video of an optimistic guy , I would look for the video, who promised his mother he would not be like his brother who had been abroad for 30 years and has never come home , and that she should not worry that after 1 year he would return and come and buy her house, 8 years later the guy is in YouTube crying that he does not have papers yet and he hasn’t seen his mother since then and he couldn’t fulfill that promise. Please if anyone can find that video post it here. People are complaining bro. Question is are yyouu listening ?
Lol

Maybe you should tell that to millions of unemployed graduates roaming the streets daily.

Only a dumb ass will listen to you and your likes.
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by folake4u(f): 4:46pm On Sep 19, 2023
Sweetvie:
How he take be my brother grin grin
Na Yoruba guy?

He fit be na. 🤣🤣🤣

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by afroxyz: 5:05pm On Sep 19, 2023
10 to 15 years to settle, buy house? Please ask them how they went - if their visa is legit or what jobs they are doing.
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Sweetvie: 5:26pm On Sep 19, 2023
folake4u:

He fit be na. 🤣🤣🤣
I hear o grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by ednut1(m): 5:26pm On Sep 19, 2023
tshtsh:

I learnt long ago that building wealth and attaining financial freedom is a very slow process that requires consistency and perseverance. The Nigerian culture can be oppressive hence people feel they need to acquire things they don’t need or can barely afford to prove to others that they’ve arrived. I don’t subscribe to that and I enjoy my peaceful life. My 15 year old Camry is there in Lagos. Once I’m in naija I start it and drive around. Some people have been telling me that as I’m in Canada I ought to have shipped in a better car but I no send them. Even in the Toronto I don’t have a car. Rented an apartment 2 mins walk from a subway station / bus station and it’s serving me well. I no dey compete lol
even me i left my 05 camry in 9ja for a relative , used it when I went to Nigeria last year and some people were telling me the same thing you are saying lol. Here self I bought the cheapest car in the Toyota dealership which was camry, some people were telling me I should have gone for benz or bmw. I was like nawa o🤣🤣. You go see someone earning 70k a year and buying 2022 benz wahala

1 Like

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by ednut1(m): 5:32pm On Sep 19, 2023
Celepope:
I have been on Nairaland for quite awhile and this dude Sukkot is one of the most pitiful people I’ve ever come across on this forum. He always sound depressed I guess it’s owing to his failure in his sojourn abroad. People that behave this way are mostly people that were either deported or were miserable and feel the system rigged them out. We have millions of people doing well abroad but he only chooses the stories of those not doing well to fuel his frustration. God forbid I have this kind of people around me.
he probably hasn’t left Nigeria or he failed in the abroad despite been born there so can’t stand people coming to succeed in same place
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Vadese1: 5:52pm On Sep 19, 2023
Even if you come back to Nigeria to be with your sick mom without money, The journey is useless. Is better one stay back in UK to fight your way out and prepare a better leaving for siblings. The hospital and the medical team will take care of the mother back home if cash is available
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Ishilove: 6:59pm On Sep 19, 2023
sukkot:
stop pushing coccaine bro. even saka does not have 4 houses in the UK. and whats the covetous demon doing with 4 houses ?
Lmao! Sukkot, I thought you have repented from this your bad mouth?? cheesy🤣🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by Ishilove: 7:09pm On Sep 19, 2023
lendahand:
why do I have headache reading your English?? To think you're in Canada is even more worrisome...
Guy...

😂😂😅
Re: Stuck Abroad While Mother Is Dying In Nigeria . Dark Side Of Japa by armyofone(m): 8:01pm On Sep 19, 2023
Don't you think living life independently is good?
Too much emotional tie is something that is stiff to us black people ?

He is abroad pursuing life maybe with wifey and kids. Why worry about the parents in Nigeria ? If he is taking care of them, what else do you want him to do ?
So he shouldn't grow up at some point and fly away ?

Sukkot- Sukkot - Sukkot, how many times did I call you ?
grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ibom Air Acquires 6th Aircraft (Photos) / The Forms Of Racism You Have Faced As An African Abroad / An Unhappy Train Experience From Enugu Railway (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.