Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,291 members, 7,836,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:14 AM

After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. (37927 Views)

Zimbabwean Man Invites Wife's Boyfriend To His House For Sex & He Came / Sex Scandal: Housewife Threatens To Drag Christ Embassy, Pastor To Court (pics) / Shocking!! 37yrs Old Married Woman Caught Masturbating With Pepper! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by holarthayor(m): 5:49am On Sep 20, 2023
Bro let me give you my own 2cent. The property is not your dad own . It belong to the whole family and you said your dad renovate it . I am sure he is collecting rent on those property for over 15 years which he didn’t share with anybody so that cover the money he used in renovating the property
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by 7arrows: 6:25am On Sep 20, 2023
Peter532:
Hello all,
My dad immediate elder brother who went to south africa in the 90s is back to drag their parents property claiming to be the first son.

This is someone who after he travelled only came back once and never bothered about the affair's of the family.

Their father my grandfather died 2005 he was no where to be found. my grand mother died 2018 still nothing from him.

No contributions whatever even while their parents was still alive.

He cut all sort of communications with them and now he's back to lay claim on the properties.

The family is angry but some of the elders in the extended family are getting on is side claiming he's still the senior he was never disowned but they can't say it out though.

It's obvious he came back with almost nothing and felt laying claims on their parent property is the back up plan

No will was written and some of the old buildings has been reconstructed from the scratch by my father and yet someone is laying claim on it.

I will like to know how this will go because my father is ready to fight this with his last strength and we the children are firmly behind him

Did you say ur dad is ready to fight with his last strength? Be careful what u wish for. The fact that you stay in my house free for 50 years doesn't make it your house. I can come back anytime to request for what's rightfully mine. Your dad should reason/plead with him to be calm and not trow u guys out. There's no will to prove otherwise. So if he stayed outside the country for 100 years it's not ur dad's business. My uncle stayed in America for almost 37 years, he didn't even come for Grandpa's burial. But guess what one day he came back made plans sold the property in a prime area at ikeja then left back to the U.S never to return again. Only good thing he did was to settle his siblings with what he felt was good.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by zoedew: 7:08am On Sep 20, 2023
Exodus15v11:
If your father has documents as proof that he reconstructed them, then they are his. Your obviously-broke Uncle is no different from a thief trying to reap where he didn't sow.
He can demand for a refund of his expenses on the properties. Ownership rights remain in the eldest son.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by djseanjohn77: 7:09am On Sep 20, 2023
STARGREEN:
I don't think I appreciate his behaviour towards his parents as you made us to see.

However, I don't equally think he acted the way he did intentionally.

Sometimes, been in a foreign country doesn't translate to riches. Some open up to their financial challenges, while some keep mute.

Depending on your tribe, in some, 1st Son is 1st Son in spite of his health and economic situation.

If yours recognises the 1st Son as having share of his parents properties, let him not be denied because of his attitude, rather let his conscience judge him.

Someday he will get old, someday he will remember parents, till then, let him be helped to stand back on his feet or have a shoulder to lean on, brother is brother and remains brother even with different attitudes. There's a reason it's called Family.

Lastly, my father used to tell me never to drag land, rather that I should drag to make sufficient investments to price both the land and building in future.

I once had a friend, one day i asked him if he had send money home so they can help him build a house, he said No. Apparently, he was sending money to his father to build a student hostel which belongs to the father, to build a house on his father's land, a land not willed to him. Few years down the lain, he was requesting for a money from the the rents paid on the hostels, his father told him the lawyer in charge of the property ran away with the money and advance of 2-3 years. Meaning, in the fore-seeable future, he would not expect any compensation. That's how stupid some people are, what is yours will always be yours, what is your father's is your father's, you and the other siblings...if you have to develop, renovate, re-build, repair...let it be done with other people's consent and agreement or shared responsibility.

That said, that uncle of yours was probably just released from a prison after many years, just like many Nigerians today are languishing in jail across the world for different degrees ofcrime. That man is desperate, he is calm in the meantime, desperation will soon make him volatile, tell your dad to hands off. Watch how he will languish everything in no time, most likely, he will sell off his portion, then squander the money and then again come for the rest...or he will disappear again and re-surface later.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Sh1g1d1: 7:15am On Sep 20, 2023
tunwumi:
This is nicely put.

What about your father's juju to keep him there finally fade off and he's back to claim his right?

Matthew 10:36
King James Version
36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Testimony1988(m): 8:07am On Sep 20, 2023
Nbote:
The sad truth is whether he disappeared or not, he's still entitled to a share of his Father's properties. Infact in Igbo culture as the first son he's the rightful owner of his Father's house
hmmmmm, the properties should be shared equally.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by BigMamaNaija: 8:18am On Sep 20, 2023
Peter532:
Hello all,
My dad immediate elder brother who went to south africa in the 90s is back to drag their parents property claiming to be the first son.

I will like to know how this will go because my father is ready to fight this with his last strength and we the children are firmly behind him

Luke 12: 13-15
Someone in the crowd said to Him, “Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me.”
But Jesus replied, “Man, who appointed Me judge or executor between you?”
And He said to them, “Watch out! Guard yourselves against every form of greed, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.”

Selah~
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by achimendy(m): 8:43am On Sep 20, 2023
Peter532:
Hello all,

This is someone who after he travelled only came back once and never bothered about the affair's of the family.

Their father my grandfather died 2005 he was no where to be found. my grand mother died 2018 still nothing from him.

No contributions whatever even while their parents was still alive.

He cut all sort of communications with them and now he's back to lay claim on the properties.

The family is angry but some of the elders in the extended family are getting on is side claiming he's still the senior he was never disowned but they can't say it out though.

It's obvious he came back with almost nothing and felt laying claims on their parent property is the back up plan

No will was written and some of the old buildings has been reconstructed from the scratch by my father and yet someone is laying claim on it.

Your father's elder brother is still part of the family, so you guys should just give him his own cut. This is family inheritance and he's down with the family, he is not dead or disowned so you guys should avoid unnecessary controversy and give him what rightfully belongs to him.

And tell your father to be logical instead of fighting over this issue. It might not end well with him and you the children.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by achimendy(m): 8:52am On Sep 20, 2023
Exodus15v11:
If your father has documents as proof that he reconstructed them, then they are his. Your obviously-broke Uncle is no different from a thief trying to reap where he didn't sow.

I don't think you know what you're saying.

You're really ignorant of customs and tradition when it comes to family inheritance.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Blackman101: 8:56am On Sep 20, 2023
If your father has his own property, he should allow him have it.

your uncle will pay dearly for it as time goes on.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by achimendy(m): 9:01am On Sep 20, 2023
Klass99:

A very useless first son who provided no value whatsoever. Why should such a person inherit or lay claim to any properties, solely on the basis of being a first son?

We have some very messed up traditions that cause more harm than good, which need to be thrown away. Is it not men who created these traditions? Can the same men not undo them, if they really wish to?

Unlike you I mean every offence when I say (not to you specifically) that the useless first son should have stayed gone and never returned or reappeared to claim property.

What is wrong with some children sef? Are your hands broken or is your brain malfunctioning to a point where you cannot build or acquire properties of your own, without looking to grab what your parents had?

The first son is still part of the family and you can't deny him his rightful family inheritance. Just because he left the family 37 years ago and didn't show up doesn't mean he's not part of the family.

The elders has spoken and that's the truth. Although the junior brother did well for the properties and their parents but that doesn't automatically make him the owner of those properties.

They're called family property for a reason.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by correctguy101(m): 10:10am On Sep 20, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

Do you want to read the truth? If yes, listen to the truth and advise your father accordingly.

Your Father's Elder brother is the authentic title holder of the inheritances by Right, and he is the right person to share the properties to your Dad and the rest of the family members as he deems fit.

Your father is to surrender possession of all properties to the Elder brother and account for the monies he has made from those properties since the demise of your Grand father, and your Uncle can decide to forego the revenue accrued from the properties during his absense to your Dad, but all the Properties are his and your father's trust and it is your Uncle that has traditional rights to share those properties to everyone else.

Did you guys care to know if your uncle went to prison and couldnt come for the burial or life was just too tough for him?

Bleep around and find out, is what people say on tik tok, even your ancestors will not support your papa on this.

This is a wrong advice...

This is Africa and Nigeria..

If we were to truly follow all you're saying, then...

According to traditions,

First, calculations would be made on all that has been going on in the family, including the works done on these properties and the funds spent in both burials of his parents and the shameless uncle should first pay up his share before he will have mouth to try and haggle over anything. People lack shame these days. Imagine the arrogance... angry

Disowned or not, being in jail or not or having things hard or not, the tradition and culture does not care.

The only obvious fact is...

He has neglected his duties as a first born son. I wonder how he has the face to come out from heavens knows where and start to arrogantly lay claims on things he should have no business with.

Or don't you know a first born son has lots of duties when burying his parents?

I'm a Nigerian and from Delta State. Dem never born the person wey go try am for my family.

Even me that was in Nigeria and wasn't in the Egwa of the family had to pay some fines before I could do somethings at my hometown. Unless you're from Vawulenciaga and are always ready for the fight that will follow-up.

No will, so everything will have to be settled by the custodians in each family.

Peter532, take note and act accordingly.

His rights as a first born son will only count after taking care of the bills he'd left pilled up.

Else, your father should just deal with the shameless baastard like he's dealing with a thief.... angry

Lucky man, he didn't jam ruthless werey like me.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Ishilove: 12:06pm On Sep 20, 2023
Peter532:

My father has properties of his own. thank you.
Let him compensate your father for all the renovations he has done on the property
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by TheBillyonaire: 12:35pm On Sep 20, 2023
correctguy101:

This is a wrong advice...

This is Africa and Nigeria..

If we were to truly follow all you're saying, then...

According to traditions,

First, calculations would be made on all that has been going on in the family, including the works done on these properties and the funds spent in both burials of his parents and the shameless uncle should first pay up his share before he will have mouth to try and haggle over anything. People lack shame these days. Imagine the arrogance... angry

Disowned or not, being in jail or not or having things hard or not, the tradition and culture does not care.

The only obvious fact is...

He has neglected his duties as a first born son. I wonder how he has the face to come out from heavens knows where and start to arrogantly lay claims on things he should have no business with.

Or don't you know a first born son has lots of duties when burying his parents?

I'm a Nigerian and from Delta State. Dem never born the person wey go try am for my family.

Even me that was in Nigeria and wasn't in the Egwa of the family had to pay some fines before I could do somethings at my hometown. Unless you're from Vawulenciaga and are always ready for the fight that will follow-up.

No will, so everything will have to be settled by the custodians in each family.

Peter532, take note and act accordingly.

His rights as a first born son will only count after taking care of the bills he'd left pilled up.

Else, your father should just deal with the shameless baastard like he's dealing with a thief.... angry

Lucky man, he didn't jam ruthless werey like me.

Ruthless werey? That is not a good way to describe oneself, but I must respect your self-nominated tag.

Granted that there are bills to cover, that does not erode the position of a First son as a default Trustee to his Father's Estate.

His inheritance is not conditional upon settling any of such debts but it will be nice of him to look into it and make peace, because those who were custodians of the properties in his absence earned value from those assets and are primarily expected to manage related liabilities as well.

Delta and Edo axis must discourage the erosion of cultures and traditional values, otherwise, such disordered and individuated decisioning will result in chaotic political and social topsy-turvy.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by MrFly(m): 1:36pm On Sep 20, 2023
U are a grandchild and have no say in ur grandfathers estate. Ur uncle is the right person to share his fathers property among his siblings.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Cromagnon: 3:01pm On Sep 20, 2023
Klass99:

If I were your father I will simply undo every renovation work done on properties he is laying claim to and let him have them, after I have returned said properties to their former state and status. I hate nonsense and stupidity sha.
Stupidity is investing in another Persons property
Can you go and renovate an abandoned property and lay claim to it?
You chop another Person inheritance bccos you hia south Africa.?
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Ikpongiton: 6:28am On Sep 21, 2023
Your father is a greedy and a very bad man.he cast a spell on his elder to make himuseless ,so that he can claim his inheritance.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Ikpongiton: 7:12am On Sep 21, 2023
achimendy:
the boy is a scoundrel.imagine joining his father to fight his uncle, instead of calling for peace.

Your father's elder brother is still part of the family, so you guys should just give him his own cut. This is family inheritance and he's down with the family, he is not dead or disowned so you guys should avoid unnecessary controversy and give him what rightfully belongs to him.

And tell your father to be logical instead of fighting over this issue. It might not end well with him and you the children.

1 Like

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by achimendy(m): 9:01am On Sep 21, 2023
[quote author=Ikpongiton post=125924778][/quote]

They're not taking a wise decision at all.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by correctguy101(m): 2:46pm On Sep 22, 2023
TheBillyonaire:

Ruthless werey? That is not a good way to describe oneself, but I must respect your self-nominated tag.

Granted that there are bills to cover, that does not erode the position of a First son as a default Trustee to his Father's Estate.

His inheritance is not conditional upon settling any of such debts but it will be nice of him to look into it and make peace, because those who were custodians of the properties in his absence earned value from those assets and are primarily expected to manage related liabilities as well.

Delta and Edo axis must discourage the erosion of cultures and traditional values, otherwise, such disordered and individuated decisioning will result in chaotic political and social topsy-turvy.

Ah,..

This daddy does not mind. Don't mind me.. wink

You could be right but it's the practice as it is in reality...
Though he's the first born son, that cannot excuse non-participation in the extended family. From the OP, being in jail is out of the question as he'd visited once. Abi na only to claim inheritance first born dey for? undecided

The practice currently does not care even if he's struggling or something held him back. Even the story shows that's not the case. As long as someone else in the family has been taking care of responsibilities that he was expected to handle as first son , forget it all. In that family, he no get mouth.

Who will want to waste time and resources on somebody else's inheritance?

It's also to be noted the manner in which the uncle is acting as mentioned by Mr OP. He's totally irresponsible IMHO. angry

I go jhus deal with such inconsiderate person like an outsider, as he no wan use wisdom handle matter. He'll be forced to swallow is non-existent pride.

Na so I jhus be. I no like unreasonable people.
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by rugged7(m): 6:37pm On Sep 22, 2023
Bros, it's not worth it i promise you. Draging will bring bad belle, fight, waste of money on lawyers or on the elders and even deaths.
He is 1st son. Don't drag anything with him.
In Igbo tradition, he still has right to the main house of your grandfather.
Focus on yourself or your own father's properties.
I myself spent almost 30years dragging property , I even had wills & deeds but just because of bad uncles, corrupt judges and slow court systems it took a long time to sort out.
In the end I got the properties but I believe I spent more money over the years than what the properties are worth.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Woman Sues Husband For Allegedly Failing To Take Her To Saudi Arabia / Marrying A Woman That Cannot Cook: Nigerians Respond (Video) / I Caught Her Sex Chatting.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.