Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,020 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. (37852 Views)

Zimbabwean Man Invites Wife's Boyfriend To His House For Sex & He Came / Sex Scandal: Housewife Threatens To Drag Christ Embassy, Pastor To Court (pics) / Shocking!! 37yrs Old Married Woman Caught Masturbating With Pepper! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Peter532: 12:49pm On Sep 19, 2023
Hello all,
My dad immediate elder brother who went to south africa in the 90s is back to drag their parents property claiming to be the first son.

This is someone who after he travelled only came back once and never bothered about the affair's of the family.

Their father my grandfather died 2005 he was no where to be found. my grand mother died 2018 still nothing from him.

No contributions whatever even while their parents was still alive.

He cut all sort of communications with them and now he's back to lay claim on the properties.

The family is angry but some of the elders in the extended family are getting on is side claiming he's still the senior he was never disowned but they can't say it out though.

It's obvious he came back with almost nothing and felt laying claims on their parent property is the back up plan

No will was written and some of the old buildings has been reconstructed from the scratch by my father and yet someone is laying claim on it.

I will like to know how this will go because my father is ready to fight this with his last strength and we the children are firmly behind him

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 19, 2023
No will was written and that means your father has no case

He wasn't disowned either, so the elders are right.

469 Likes 40 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Nbote(m): 12:53pm On Sep 19, 2023
The sad truth is whether he disappeared or not, he's still entitled to a share of his Father's properties. Infact in Igbo culture as the first son he's the rightful owner of his Father's house

345 Likes 20 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by jamesversion: 12:55pm On Sep 19, 2023
But he is still the first son na.

No offence, but your father should have properties of his own. Tradition is on the side of your uncle.

If you like carry my old rusty car go mechanic and turn it brand new, it remains mine.

340 Likes 18 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by STARGREEN(m): 12:56pm On Sep 19, 2023
I don't think I appreciate his behaviour towards his parents as you made us to see.

However, I don't equally think he acted the way he did intentionally.

Sometimes, been in a foreign country doesn't translate to riches. Some open up to their financial challenges, while some keep mute.

Depending on your tribe, in some, 1st Son is 1st Son in spite of his health and economic situation.

If yours recognises the 1st Son as having share of his parents properties, let him not be denied because of his attitude, rather let his conscience judge him.

Someday he will get old, someday he will remember parents, till then, let him be helped to stand back on his feet or have a shoulder to lean on, brother is brother and remains brother even with different attitudes. There's a reason it's called Family.

Lastly, my father used to tell me never to drag land, rather that I should drag to make sufficient investments to price both the land and building in future.

117 Likes 7 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Peter532: 12:56pm On Sep 19, 2023
jamesversion:
But he is still the first son na.

No offence, but your father should have properties of his own. Tradition is on the side of your uncle.

If you like carry my old rusty car go mechanic and turn it brand new, it remains mine.
My father has properties of his own. thank you.

24 Likes

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by ojun50(m): 12:59pm On Sep 19, 2023
You guys should catch him, put him inside black bag take him to river niger, the river will return him to South Africa.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 19, 2023
Peter532:
. It's obvious he came back with almost nothing and felt laying claims on their parent property is the back up plan
No will was written and some of the old buildings has been reconstructed from the scratch by my father and yet someone is laying claim on it.
I will like to know how this will go because my father is ready to fight this with his last strength and we the children are firmly behind him
If your father has documents as proof that he reconstructed them, then they are his. Your obviously-broke Uncle is no different from a thief trying to reap where he didn't sow.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by ibechris(m): 1:20pm On Sep 19, 2023
The thing is,I like the fact that ur father stood his ground.

Nature will definitely reward him for doing alot for his late parents and keeping their sweat till this day in good and tenantable conditions.

If u guys fight him,it worths the fight but make una watch out for those wicked elders na their the problems they surface. They will want to divide the family and watch u guys fight dirty.

U guys should apply wisdom in dealing with this issue.

Good luck to ur father specially.

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Klass99(f): 1:25pm On Sep 19, 2023

26 Likes 7 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by sleek214(m): 1:28pm On Sep 19, 2023
Your dad wants to died on top properties that belonged to his elder brother. According to tradition, your uncle owns the properties since your grandfather didn't leave any will.

54 Likes 5 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by psucc(m): 1:29pm On Sep 19, 2023
The truth is that it was "our" property. Your father made mistake to renovate or rebuild those properties. He ought to have waited for those properties to be shared before he did that or better still acquire his own separately in his name.

So don't see his elder brother as coming to steal or reap where he didn't sow. You will end up hating him and probably transmit same to generations unborn

90 Likes 5 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Klass99(f): 1:33pm On Sep 19, 2023

13 Likes

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by world123: 1:45pm On Sep 19, 2023
He wasn't disowned and there is no Will stating all property belongs to your father. So any son of the parent is entitled to his parents properties.

You uncle and Dad should calm down and share the family property equally.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Luther0luther: 1:46pm On Sep 19, 2023
Clearly,he didn't make it in S.A...his long disappearance apparently explains that. His hope now is on those properties.Igbo land is a very patriarchal society,so he may be within norms to lay claim to his late father's properties

14 Likes

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by izonborn098(m): 1:47pm On Sep 19, 2023
Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by fyzaila: 2:22pm On Sep 19, 2023
Go to court, let the court share all the properties and everyone can have theirs.

3 Likes

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Berrityga: 2:43pm On Sep 19, 2023
Hand over his birth right to him and allow peace to reign. You don’t expect him to visit Nigeria every time a mosquito dies in your house. Moreover do you know if he was in prison in South Africa . You don’t know his story or his struggles just allow him take what’s his.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by xin5: 2:46pm On Sep 19, 2023
Berrityga:
Hand over his birth right to him and allow peace to reign. You don’t expect him to visit Nigeria every time a mosquito dies in your house. Moreover do you know if he was in prison in South Africa . You don’t know his story or his struggles just allow him take what’s his.
how old are you with brains of toddler? His parent mosquitoes? Foolish comment from a goat

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by vincenteger: 3:08pm On Sep 19, 2023
Do you want to deny him his birth right
Sentiment apart, he's still the first son

Your father should call him for a meeting together with the elders and resolve this issues.

What about his family?
If there's non then you don't have to worry much
He is likely to sell those properties the moment they get to him. Your dad can buy them from the back.

You father should present the properties that him & your uncle is aware of.

But come to think of it, I believe these properties are on rent and if they are on rent that means your father must have recovered the money he used for renovations and even for the burial of your grand parents. So I think you dad is also owing him money too.

Please don't allow sentiment to cloud your judgement.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Figger(m): 3:15pm On Sep 19, 2023
People at home obviously don't seem to understand that it's not that Rossy abroad, too many things may have taken place, reason for him been incommunicado all this while. Probably he was serving a long prison sentence who knows. Point is, he's still the first son, and according to Igbo tradition, he's entitled to a greater share of the father's properties. U can't deny him his birth right. Pls settle it amicably.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Kobojunkie: 3:32pm On Sep 19, 2023
Peter532:
The family is angry but some of the elders in the extended family are getting on is side claiming he's still the senior he was never disowned but they can't say it out though. It's obvious he came back with almost nothing and felt laying claims on their parent property is the back up plan
Well, he is still the son of the owners of the property and deserves his share irrespective of his life profile. The family should instead direct their anger towards the man who died without leaving a will. undecided

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by GeneralPula: 3:37pm On Sep 19, 2023
Make una just show love..

None of you will live forever with the property, just like the original owners..

9 Likes

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by IkeGod9891(m): 3:37pm On Sep 19, 2023
Re u mocking him that he should have been rich or he shouldn't drag what's his?. Let's hear from him too before we d elders in online counsel can decide. grin

14 Likes

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Whitecoal711: 3:37pm On Sep 19, 2023
S the fighting should be with last strength as you stated not last blood oo,no land is worth a life oo,rather try hussle make money ,to be able to buy both lands, and the owner if possible,as for the topic,please you guys should try to settle it as peacefully as possible,blood is thicker than water,some of Una village people go dey one. Corner dey put fire dey laugh dey call una mumu family,
Make una use una number 6 oo,e mata now
☮️ Peace

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by drlaykay(m): 3:38pm On Sep 19, 2023
If he's claiming everything, he is greedy. Also, if your father and you are claiming everything, you are greedy.
He has rights on the property. His previous lifestyle like that of the prodigal son, isn't justification to hold on to his entitlements. Besides, his disppearance might not be intentional. It isn't easy out there.

If he were to be in Nigeria all these while and very poor, would you have held on the the properties because he didn't contribute to the repair or the funerals?

If you must repair a house that belongs to the family, you don't do it with the intention of owning it. It's wrong. If you can't afford to repair it, in the names of the owners, them leave it.

Even according to the law, the owner of the land owns whatever is on the property

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by callmevirus(m): 3:38pm On Sep 19, 2023
IconicR:
No will was written and that means your father has no case

He wasn't disowned either, so the elders are right.

You don dey reason well ooo
Wetin happen?

7 Likes

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Sep 19, 2023
Berrityga:

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by Nyanabo(m): 3:38pm On Sep 19, 2023
Simple matter. Since he wasn't disowned then there's no case. But since the buildings were reconstructed by your dad, he should draw up the expenses it incrued then split it amongst themselves.

12 Likes

Re: After 37yrs In South Africa He Came Back To Drag Properties With My Father. by AutoChick4U(f): 3:39pm On Sep 19, 2023
Peter532:
Hello all,
My dad immediate elder brother who went to south africa in the 90s is back to drag their parents property claiming to be the first son.

This is someone who after he travelled only came back once and never bothered about the affair's of the family.

Their father my grandfather died 2005 he was no where to be found. my grand mother died 2018 still nothing from him.

No contributions whatever even while their parents was still alive.

He cut all sort of communications with them and now he's back to lay claim on the properties.

The family is angry but some of the elders in the extended family are getting on is side claiming he's still the senior he was never disowned but they can't say it out though.

It's obvious he came back with almost nothing and felt laying claims on their parent property is the back up plan

Your father shouldn't have touch the properties meant for him and it's not like he's dead. Your dad is at fault for being covetous pls

25 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Can A Woman Return Her Bride Price, And Should The Man Accept? / Obituary Poster Of Emeka Nnatuanya, Man Set Ablaze By Wife In Kano / Woman Crushed 4 Days To Her Wedding In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.