Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,827 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:06 PM

My Fight With My Landlord - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Fight With My Landlord (22618 Views)

My Landlord And I / My Landlord Sneaks Into My Apartment / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fight With My Landlord by specialofficer: 11:33pm On Sep 20, 2023
I have been having some issues in my room, I live with my mum and sister , it's a 3 bedroom flat, we pay 1.4m yearly and we've paid 3 times, last payment was in may.

My landlord increased the pressure point of our water in the compound and now water gas been leaking, pipes got burst in the wall and water has been coming out from walls and pop, I started complaining last month but they didn't do anything about it, it got to a point when the water was too much in my room, I wanted to get my landlords attention so I had to spoil our pumping machine and I brought out all the dirts in our dustbin, I acknowledge my mistakes but it was out of anger.

My landlord confronts me and we got into an argument and we insulted each other, I know i was wrong but if I didn't spoil that pumping machine, the landlord wouldn't have called plumber to repair the issues I was having in my room, I even discovered that i wasn't the only one experiencing such thing, my neighbors too were also having that same issues.

According to my landlord, he said he's not the one collecting money from us, we paid money to agent and if we have any issues we should contact the agent, this particular agent is his elder brother but this my landlord is living in our compound with us, though he has numerous houses.

Now my landlord said he doesn't want to see me again in his compound and has threatened my mum with quit notice, he said it's either I leave the house or my family would leave , he instructed the gateman not to open gate for me again or else he'll sack him. My fellow nairalanders I really need your help, how will I go about this?

Modified; The landlord threatened to call police if he ever sees me in his compound, he said he'll win me in court and it's malicious damage to his property, mind you, there's no evidence that I committed the offence, our gateman was the only eye witness.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Puss360(f): 11:35pm On Sep 20, 2023
Two wrongs don't make a right...
You shouldn't have damaged the pumping machine...
No matter what, always involve the services of the Police...
As regard your banning from entering the house, your landlord has no right to restrict your movement..
Infact he has no right chase u out of the house..
If you are in lagos, you are entitled to "Six(6) months quit notice" after your rent expires or he refund your remaining rent and still give you the quit notice...
Or you carry police arrest am..

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by thuxzwda1: 11:38pm On Sep 20, 2023
;Drepair pumping machine 1st

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Omihanifa: 11:40pm On Sep 20, 2023
Guy just settle with him and move on with your life. Nothing dey this life no undecided See mohbad now he don go. Life is too short to be fighting unnecessary battles. Just settle with him.

116 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by DevilishMan: 11:40pm On Sep 20, 2023
OP drop location make I join you.
I'm ready for anything.

I need to keep myself occupied this trying period.

101 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by AwokenVawulence: 11:55pm On Sep 20, 2023
Nigerians no fit do anything without u dragging them nice one op u don't owe anybody anything angry stand ur ground and the weak shall fall back , and if the gateman try rubbish tell that it's either he loss his job or loss hin hand hand then ball in like a real nigga

15 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by specialofficer: 11:58pm On Sep 20, 2023
Puss360:
As regard your banning from entering the house, your landlord has no right to restrict your movement..
If you are in lagos, you are entitled to "Six(6) months quit notice" after your rent expires or he refund your remaining rent and still give you the quit notice...
I can't arrest the man,he has money, he has more than 5 houses and you know how Nigeria is, na person wey get money dey win case, if we're to leave the compound by quit notice, yeah he'll give us 6 months to leave but the problem now is the house is really good, big parlour, new house, security and all those stuffs, we won't be able to see a house with that standard and price, that's why my people are scared of the quit notice, now another problem is because they're women, it would have been another thing if they were men, they wouldn't be scared.

I know I made a mistake by spoiling the machine, it was just because of anger, but I'm sure the landlord's threat was an empty one but my mum and sis are just scared, the man can't afford to lose 6 months rent, that's over 700k

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by specialofficer: 12:00am On Sep 21, 2023
Omihanifa:
Guy just settle with him and move on with your life. Nothing dey this life no undecided See mohbad now he don go. Life is too short to be fighting unnecessary battles. Just settle with him.
I'm not even in the house, I left 2 days ago, my mum said she begged but he didn't agree, he said it's either I leave or quit notice and my people can't accept quit notice, the man sef no want make I enter compound and our compound is those type of compound that you can't enter without gateman opening it for you

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Vision101(m): 12:49am On Sep 21, 2023
@Puss360

@me
By understanding is that he is not the tenant but his mother. The rights that you are stating doesn't cover him.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by gaby(m): 12:59am On Sep 21, 2023
You spoil my water pump come dey insult me join.

You must not come close to my house or else. And your mum is leaving at the end of her current lease.

You think say na the way una dey come here dey insult una papa agemates without any repercussion na so e be for real life.

I must deal with you...

Make nobody beg me for here oh...

66 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Nobody: 1:37am On Sep 21, 2023
gaby:

You must not come close to my house or else. And your mum is leaving at the end of her current lease.

You think say na the way una dey come here dey insult una papa agemates without any repercussion na so e be for real life.

I must deal with you...

Oga landlord. I beg on his behalf, tell gateman to allow the boy in. Abeg nor fex na small pickin dey do am.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Ballzproblemm: 1:41am On Sep 21, 2023
gaby:

I must deal with you...

werey

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Houseofglam7(f): 1:45am On Sep 21, 2023
Hmmmmmmm
Drama everywhere

2 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by AmancalledGod: 1:49am On Sep 21, 2023
gaby:

I must deal with you...

Are you the landlord, if you are truly the landlord abeg oga landlord no too reason the small pikin mistake, nah small pikin wey in be, please forgive and Forget we beg on his behalf.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by izonborn098(m): 2:06am On Sep 21, 2023
Tell ur mother to carry somebody join body follow the landlord talk and settle this issue..
specialofficer:
I can't arrest the man,he has money, he has more than 5 houses and you know how Nigeria is, na person wey get money dey win case, if we're to leave the compound by quit notice, yeah he'll give us 6 months to leave but the problem now is the house is really good, big parlour, new house, security and all those stuffs, we won't be able to see a house with that standard and price, that's why my people are scared of the quit notice, now another problem is because they're women, it would have been another thing if they were men, they wouldn't be scared.

I know I made a mistake by spoiling the machine, it was just because of anger, but I'm sure the landlord's threat was an empty one but my mum and sis are just scared, the man can't afford to lose 6 months rent, that's over 700k

7 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by izonborn098(m): 2:19am On Sep 21, 2023
What make's you think the landlord'll not give you quit notice, and are you happy been chase away like a kid.
Bro you'd done the mistake and the best way is to amend it but from writeup this said landlord is so determined to deal with you.. Imagine chasing you out of house you're renting is not quite funny to me and since you don't want to challenge him and don't want to leave the house then your mother is there involve 1 or 2 people plus ur mother and make peace with him and repair what you spoiled.
specialofficer:
we won't be able to see a house with that standard and price, that's why my people are scared of the quit notice, now another problem is because they're women,

5 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by youngrichnigga: 2:44am On Sep 21, 2023
IMHO, you cannot be in a house of such a quoted amount/yr and your landlord will be so uncouth and brash, please give us the true sitrep of things undecided undecided undecided undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by online4business: 5:03am On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

Some people go give you that 700k just to make sure you no disturb them ooo.

No be every landlord like person dey disturb am oo.

You be man landlord na man swallow your pride meet am and beg the man is as easy as pizza.

If he carry you go police you go suffer oo and still replace the machine.

You know charge wey them go you rope you? Guy make you reason this thing

Drop ego drop bride beg am and you table any other grievance you get landlord na flesh and blood him go understand.

19 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Dshocker(m): 5:13am On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I have been having some issues in my room, I live with my mum and sister , it's a 3 bedroom flat, we pay 1.4m yearly and we've paid 3 times, last payment was in may.

My landlord increased the pressure point of our water in the compound and now water gas been leaking, pipes got burst in the wall and water has been coming out from walls and pop, I started complaining last month but they didn't do anything about it, it got to a point when the water was too much in my room, I wanted to get my landlords attention so I had to spoil our pumping machine and I brought out all the dirts in our dustbin, I acknowledge my mistakes but it was out of anger.

My landlord confronts me and we got into an argument and we insulted each other, I know i was wrong but if I didn't spoil that pumping machine, the landlord wouldn't have called plumber to repair the issues I was having in my room, I even discovered that i wasn't the only one experiencing such thing, my neighbors too were also having that same issues.

According to my landlord, he said he's not the one collecting money from us, we paid money to agent and if we have any issues we should contact the agent, this particular agent is his elder brother but this my landlord is living in our compound with us, though he has numerous houses.

Now my landlord said he doesn't want to see me again in his compound and has threatened my mum with quit notice, he said it's either I leave the house or my family would leave , he instructed the gateman not to open gate for me again or else he'll sack him. My fellow nairalanders I really need your help, how will I go about this?

Modified; The landlord threatened to call police if he ever sees me in his compound, he said he'll win me in court and it's malicious damage to his property, mind you, there's no evidence that I committed the offence, our gateman was the only eye witness.

So from all indications, you aren't the one who rented the house, because if you were the one they rented it to, the landlord wouldn't have done such.

But there again, i advise you seek counsel from your lawyer, just get a lawyer involved.

1 Like

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Dshocker(m): 5:16am On Sep 21, 2023
DevilishMan:
OP drop location make I join you.
I'm ready for anything.

I need to keep myself occupied this trying period.

If truly you mean it, just help us track down both Nairamarley and Sam Larry.

Kill them on sight, i repeat; on sight.

5 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by HarunaWest(m): 5:50am On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

I don't get. Why did you do such a mean thing? You destroyed his pumping machine and also desecrated his compound. He is right to eject you cos you are a ticking time bomb. Your excuse Is anger but you didn't think that you could have also fixed the anomaly and deduct your expense from the next rent? Or better still reach out to the agent when he wasn't forthcoming? I fear you.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Omihanifa: 5:57am On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:
I'm not even in the house, I left 2 days ago, my mum said she begged but he didn't agree, he said it's either I leave or quit notice and my people can't accept quit notice, the man sef no want make I enter compound and our compound is those type of compound that you can't enter without gateman opening it for you

See you no be small pikin, what this guy wants is for you to swallow you pride and beg him. Do just that. Let him insult you in the process nah you know wetin you dey find.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by SUPERPACK: 6:52am On Sep 21, 2023
For you guys to pay that amount as rent in this we economy shows you guys have enough to build your own house or afford a lease. You can't remain a tenant for life, take this as a motivation. Even if it is starting from one bedroom.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Puss360(f): 6:52am On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

All these are quite sympathetic talks...
You know all these, yet u went ahead to do some damages...
Normally you just have to leave the house..
But well, try and see the landlord one on one and "Beg" him...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by CJStarz: 6:57am On Sep 21, 2023
This is where your mother should come in.
Let her keep begging the landlord, telling him how foolish and stupid you are,Infact,a complete mumu wey resemble him papa. These kind words dey pacify the elderly. Let her go in the company of your uncle. Then when the landlord don calm down small,let them bring you to him to apologize, and as you just dey step inside d compound, right before the landlord,make ya mama whooz you two hot slap, left and right, and make your uncle use im walking stick hit you on dat your korokoro head. Then immediately, just prostrate before the landlord and begin to cry and apologize. Make ur mama use her slippers dey beat you for back o,as you lie down dia dey apologize. I tell you,d landlord go jus mellow. Infact,na im go dey tell them, Madam, it's alright,e don do,no kill d boy.....
Na so we dey take settle matter here for Naija!

You ma,no try that kain nonsense next time. Colos boy and Marlian like you.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by seanwilliam(m): 7:28am On Sep 21, 2023
Your landlord is very lenient. You damaged my property out of anger, yet you don’t feel remorse? …

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Freelancerr(m): 7:48am On Sep 21, 2023
E say no Evidence?

Gate man no be eye witness?

What if he took several pictures or videos of you while damaging the pumping machine?

This your story self, e be like you get anger issues na y you rush go spoil machine.

You for allow your mum to talk to the landlord first before anything else.

4 Likes

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by DaddyRochie1642: 8:35am On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

you should have thought about all these before damaging his property grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by visaclick: 8:45am On Sep 21, 2023
The landlord is right to eject you and if i am thr landlord I won’t take any form of begging. It is very obvious from your write up that you are a gen Z that is just opportuned to carry dreadlocks and and iPhone thinking you can destroy someone’s properties and get away with it because your fellow genZ told you not to act calm. You are a ticking time bomb and i see you murdering someone in the nearest future. I applaud the landlord for keeping his calm and ejecting you respectfully. You see these youngsters coming up now stay away from them if you like your peace.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by jamesversion: 8:46am On Sep 21, 2023
specialofficer:

Only You dey destroy property and desecrate compound. lipsrsealed

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Fight With My Landlord by Foodqueen(f): 8:59am On Sep 21, 2023
Go and apologize to him.

U did wrong
Re: My Fight With My Landlord by NoToPile: 9:23am On Sep 21, 2023
Loool, he's even nice to tell you alone to leave and didn't get you arrested immediately for damage to property and immediate refund for a new pump.

Some tenants will just frustrate you ehn. You spoilt a whole pumping machine, even insulted him on top of it.

He will get you arrested for damage to property if you show up.

Category of tenants from hell, just imagine what a landlord had to deal with.

Nonsense.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Royalty Garden ibeju lekki 1m gated and fenced / Rent Payment: Monthly Vs Yearly / Genuine Land For Sale @ Alao Akala Way akobo Ibadan WITH PICS,Good Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.