Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,650 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics (33896 Views)

'Lokoja Under Yahaya Bello Is 4th Fastest Growing City In The World' / Nigeria’s revenue-to-GDP ratio lowest in the World – World Bank / Nigeria Is 4th Most At Risk Country For Humanitarian Catastrophe In 2020 — IRC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by lawani: 3:32pm On Sep 27, 2023
Stephench:

Who is talking about buying in the restaurant? Foodstuffs, edibles for cooking at home.

The only foodstuffs more expensive in the EU than Nigeria are Nigerian imported foodstuffs. I cook with mostly Nigerian foodstuffs and I use mostly Nigerian beverages that's why I always spend higher than the average Nigerian here - otherwise things are really cheap.

Cost of living in western Europe is more than fifteen times more expensive than that of Nigeria. Raw food is not the measure. Rent and services are.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by phemmyfour: 3:35pm On Sep 27, 2023
DynamicWriter:
With the current rise in the cost of living!

How to manage?

Anyway, this is good news sha.

You're very right on that 🤔

In case anyone needs a natural (non-AI) content writer, kindly check my signature for my contact details.
Not good news, its cheaper for foreigner not locals cos of the exchange rate

AI has taken over. Nothing like non AI writer. AI is the future

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by rockyh(m): 3:44pm On Sep 27, 2023
krib45:
For foreigners not citizens. $1=1050 naira why won't it be cheap. Minimum wage 30k. Can 30k take care of your feeding alone? Try and use your brain b4 dropping yeye statistics
how many jobs in Nigeria pay 100k daily based on the minimum wage for most EU countries

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by smileyoo: 3:58pm On Sep 27, 2023
ThatFairGuy1:
Without sentiment or prejudice, almost everything is free in Nigeria.

There may be poverty which is in every country, but this about Nigeria is a reality.

I'm a proud Nigerian and I'm optimistic Nigeria will be more better in me and those who wishes so lifetime.

God bless The Federal Republic of Nigeria
but to me it's not a cheerful news, because it's only prove the pauperisation of the citizens by the political elites.
It's cheapest because average nigerians are miserably poorer than poverty, so why wouldn't it be cheap, when there is no money to spend and live comfortably.
how can you compare #30.000 i.e $30. with citizens earning $200.000 - $300.000. minimum wage ?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by ibadanchap: 4:11pm On Sep 27, 2023
falopey:

The metric for that statistic in my opinion is how far dollar goes in your country. In other words, the cheapest countries to live for those that earn in dollar. The richer countries are not cheap to live because dollar can not do so much over there compared to what it can do in poor countries

Yep! All this statistics is saying is that if you have X amount of money (the currency does not really matter, but it's common to use USD), how far will the X amount of money go in each country and then rank the countries based on where the X amount of money will go furthest. No matter the currency, that X amount of money will need to be converted into each country's currency to make the calculation.

Cheapest is not the same thing as affordability or quality of living, which some people are comparing this to.

For example, I live in the GTA in Ontario. In my neck of woods, 1 liter of petrol is currently $1.6, and based on current rate, I will be right to say petrol is cheaper in Nigeria than where I am in Canada (assuming NRN650/liter and the exchange of 700 naira to 1 CAD).

If I however do affordability calculation for minimum wage in both Ontario ($15.5 per hour, 8 hours per week, 22 days per month = $2,728) and Nigeria (NRN30,000) and buying 50 liters of petrol, then in Ontario,you are spending 3% of monthly minimum income for 50 liters of petrol ( $80) compared to 108% of monthly minimum income (NRN 32500) to buy 50 liters of petrol at 650 naira in Nigeria.

If I use this same example but using the median salary of $27 per hour ($4752 monthly) in Ontario and 339,000 naira in Nigeria (ref https://www.timedoctor.com/blog/average-salary-in-nigeria/) then, you will be spending 1.7% of your salary to buy 50 liters in Ontario, whereas you will spend 9.6% of your salary to buy 50 liters in Nigeria, so one will conclude Canada is more affordable.

and if it makes anyone feel better (It doesn't make me feel better) the same twitter account has countries by quality of life, https://twitter.com/stats_feed/status/1707010925406966187?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet where Nigeria is last sad

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by delvzy(m): 4:14pm On Sep 27, 2023
Wahala for who pay attention to this list oo grin grin
Cheap in the sense that life is cheap.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Stephench: 4:19pm On Sep 27, 2023
lawani:

Cost of living in western Europe is more than fifteen times more expensive than that of Nigeria. Raw food is not the measure. Rent and services are.

There's absolutely no basis of measurement but if we're to be rational, life is 20x cheaper in western Europe than it is in Nigeria. Average basic salary here is €1000 and 3 bedroom apartment is average of €500 to €1000 depending on the city. Single room studio is 300-500 depends on the city. Average monthly bills for power and water is €150 water and €150 power for 3 bedroom with about 3 to 6 occupants and much less for studio apartments.

Using my Nigerian friends here as example, they live 6 in an apartment - 2 in each room. They're all earning average of 1000 a month. Note that this apartments are state of the art with all appliances and furniture. They pay about 170 on rent a month, 50 on bills a month. 40 Euros on bus card or they buy scooter then no need for transportation. Spend average of 200 on food at the end of the month, they have 500 left after expenses. and they send some money back home - I'm not talking on hearsay but what I experienced over the years.

Meanwhile, I just arrived Nigeria and I saw that basic salary is 30k and this 30k but most people in Abuja and Lagos that I've visited are working in places far away from their apartment which means this salary is not enough to transport them a month. How do they survive is what I don't understand. And going to the market to buy simple foodstuffs and beverages, I've realized that the prices are very similar to what's applicable in Europe despite the fact the salary is 20x higher - this is diabolic. I heard that the prices skyrocketed in Nigeria but it's the same in Europe - prices skyrocketed and it's still similar.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by lawani: 4:30pm On Sep 27, 2023
Stephench:

There's absolutely no basis of measurement but if we're to be rational, life is 20x cheaper in western Europe than it is in Nigeria. Average basic salary here is €1000 and 3 bedroom apartment is average of €500 to €1000 depending on the city. Single room studio is 300-500 depends on the city. Average monthly bills for power and water is €150 water and €150 power for 3 bedroom with about 3 to 6 occupants and much less for studio apartments.

Using my Nigerian friends here as example, they live 6 in an apartment - 2 in each room. They're all earning average of 1000 a month. Note that this apartments are state of the art with all appliances and furniture. They pay about 170 on rent a month, 50 on bills a month. 40 Euros on bus card or they buy scooter then no need for transportation. Spend average of 200 on food at the end of the month, they have 500 left after expenses. and they send some money back home - I'm not talking on hearsay but what I experienced over the years.

Meanwhile, I just arrived Nigeria and I saw that basic salary is 30k and this 30k but most people in Abuja and Lagos that I've visited are working in places far away from their apartment which means this salary is not enough to transport them a month. How do they survive is what I don't understand. And going to the market to buy simple foodstuffs and beverages, I've realized that the prices are very similar to what's applicable in Europe despite the fact the salary is 20x higher - this is diabolic. I heard that the prices skyrocketed in Nigeria but it's the same in Europe - prices skyrocketed and it's still similar.

Life is difficult for minimum wage earners in Nigeria but not so in Europe is the difference. If minimum wage is raised to bear high tax and enforced on all employers, then Nigeria will become like western Europe instantly and the leaders will also be responsible not because they love people but to secure government revenue. Presently a young man in Nigeria who can write a business plan is made for life if given ten thousand dollars but in western Europe, the figure needed will be in the region of 150k to 200k dollars and that is the problem. If you can save or you have 50k dollars it is better to relocate to Nigeria but for lower cadre work, western Europe is better but I am talking about people who can run business

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by chatinent: 4:36pm On Sep 27, 2023
Yeah, they are right. It's cheaper to foreigners from the west.
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by haphizz57(m): 4:54pm On Sep 27, 2023
U pple av nt been or lived in nigeria b4. With dis kinda hardship that is on ground
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by DynamicWriter(f): 5:05pm On Sep 27, 2023
phemmyfour:
Not good news, its cheaper for foreigner not locals cos of the exchange rate

AI has taken over. Nothing like non AI writer. AI is the future

No problem, you can feed your blog visitors with AI content.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by CedarHoldings: 5:07pm On Sep 27, 2023
Well let me comment, I bought 2 amala,1 meat, 1 ponmo with rubber takeaway not disposable o,day before yesterday all for 800naiara somewhere in Ondo State.

Today I cook roroŵo,wey get meat all for 850 naira

I don't know how to judge if Nigeria is cheap or not.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by AjaoEstater(m): 5:32pm On Sep 27, 2023
There are 15 million natives of Nigeria and their descendants overseas that make billions of remittance for the Federation and their kins back home so no one can say it only cheaper for Foreigners. Tbh Nigeria is the only country on earth that I know rent is annually and not monthly *cough* Ireland *cough*. We also have the cheapest price for cigarettes and our best know staple Cassava "Garri" is always going to be cheap depending on the state plus we all can buy things on credit "ondere" here unlike anyway else in the world. Currently in Ireland the global inflation cannot even make people eat 3 meals a day. We are so luckily here we should appreciate the country we have because if it all gone it gone. Oh we also have our own currency since 1973 so the Federal Government can always manipulate it to favour it territory.

God Bless Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by starz100: 5:35pm On Sep 27, 2023
Propaganda is not good for your health
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by AjaoEstater(m): 5:41pm On Sep 27, 2023
I want to add in terms of GDP nominal Nigeria is #1 in the whole of Africa and few ranking not far from Ireland, Poland, and even Netherlands while in terms of GDP ppp we are #1 in sub-saharan Africa and second in Africa after Egypt and ranking higher than Ireland and many countries which have debts surpassing 300 to 500 billion USD. By the time Nigeria get to 300 billion USD in debts we will be the "most advance country on planet earth" currently it nearly 90 billion lower with devaluation of the Naira or easy to pay with low interest rates.
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by seguno2: 5:47pm On Sep 27, 2023
Gerrard59:
On a dollar income? Yes.

But on a N30,000 minimum wage, definitely not.

Is that why we are the extreme poverty capital of the world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Max24: 6:05pm On Sep 27, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Coups is one of the reason Nigeria is this backward. Ghana economy have never been better than that of Nigeria.
Obidients might never agree with you. They might even come to claim fuel is cheaper in Ghana than Nigeria. I have never seen such group of haters before.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by adebayour01: 6:31pm On Sep 27, 2023
ThatFairGuy1:
Don't be angry, I'm not against the masses I'm just saying the reality.

How much tax do you pay please?

Bro to pay tax is not a problem. Let there be job and good motorable roads and other social amenities. Look at the case of UK is the tax not high? But look at our people in UK they could afford quality education ( over 8 million naira on average plus savings) despite the high In tax. They born any of them to spend that much In education in Nigeria? Where do they want to see the money from self.
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Chidolalar: 6:32pm On Sep 27, 2023
NOETHNICITY:
You just unknowingly explained yourself that things are cheaper in Nigeria. They can’t use their minimum wage to live like kings in their country, but they can use it to live like kings here. Simple. You hate Nigeria should not blind you from the truth

Us citizens can use their minimum wage to live comfortable and pay their bills but Nigerians cannot and can never use their peanut minimum wage of 30k per month to even survive on feeding for one full month talk more of paying their all their bills.
Be logical for once and stop sounding emotional.
A poor man in d US or other developed countries is far better than a poor man in this shit hole called Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Machinegun91(m): 6:58pm On Sep 27, 2023
Emekas and amakas are not happy with this post

They want everyone to suffer

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Ikaeniyan0: 7:08pm On Sep 27, 2023
Max24:

Obidients might never agree with you. They might even come to claim fuel is cheaper in Ghana than Nigeria. I have never seen such group of haters before.
I wander how awful some of them life is for them to be this filled with hatred

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Akano5(m): 7:10pm On Sep 27, 2023
[quote author=nekta post=126050421]very funny indeed ,make him times the 500 times family of 4 then tell me how far ..garri for my area now na 1,500 and you de say you go eat 500 belleful well ?
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:15pm On Sep 27, 2023
ibadanchap:

Yep! All this statistics is saying is that if you have X amount of money (the currency does not really matter, but it's common to use USD), how far will the X amount of money go in each country and then rank the countries based on where the X amount of money will go furthest. No matter the currency, that X amount of money will need to be converted into each country's currency to make the calculation.

Cheapest is not the same thing as affordability or quality of living, which some people are comparing this to.

For example, I live in the GTA in Ontario. In my neck of woods, 1 liter of petrol is currently $1.6, and based on current rate, I will be right to say petrol is cheaper in Nigeria than where I am in Canada (assuming NRN650/liter and the exchange of 700 naira to 1 CAD).

If I however do affordability calculation for minimum wage in both Ontario ($15.5 per hour, 8 hours per week, 22 days per month = $2,728) and Nigeria (NRN30,000) and buying 50 liters of petrol, then in Ontario,you are spending 3% of monthly minimum income for 50 liters of petrol ( $80) compared to 108% of monthly minimum income (NRN 32500) to buy 50 liters of petrol at 650 naira in Nigeria.

If I use this same example but using the median salary of $27 per hour ($4752 monthly) in Ontario and 339,000 naira in Nigeria (ref https://www.timedoctor.com/blog/average-salary-in-nigeria/) then, you will be spending 1.7% of your salary to buy 50 liters in Ontario, whereas you will spend 9.6% of your salary to buy 50 liters in Nigeria, so one will conclude Canada is more affordable.

and if it makes anyone feel better (It doesn't make me feel better) the same twitter account has countries by quality of life, https://twitter.com/stats_feed/status/1707010925406966187?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet where Nigeria is last sad

You are very wrong that is not Nigerian median salary!
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 8:17pm On Sep 27, 2023
Stephench:

Aswear very diabolic and a crime against humanity
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Holaomoakin(m): 9:24pm On Sep 27, 2023
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Coolgent(m): 10:20pm On Sep 27, 2023
Beer parlour story
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Codes151(m): 12:12am On Sep 28, 2023
I beg this Yoruba boys don't really know anything. You are posting this to show what exactly? By default the value chain in your country Is diminished. The currency value is depleted.

This post is sth to be ashamed not celebrated.
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by headboyprince(m): 3:31am On Sep 28, 2023
NOETHNICITY:
You just unknowingly explained yourself that things are cheaper in Nigeria. They can’t use their minimum wage to live like kings in their country, but they can use it to live like kings here. Simple. You hate Nigeria should not blind you from the truth
this just shows that your naira is useless because Nigeria mimimum wage will make you a destitute anywhere in the world...

the more useless the naira becomes the more cheaper things look here to someone over there due to the gap in the currency... mind you this only covers food and rent made in nigeria

what of imported stuffs. the iphone cost over 1 million naira this is a phone kids use over there because it's less than their minimum wage.. what of cars and other imported stuff an sad sad
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Okoroawusa: 6:42am On Sep 28, 2023
Stephench:

Most of your friends in Abuja and Lagos earn 30k a month? Please change your friends. Even the barrowpusher earns more than 30k in a month
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by gabrielagber(m): 6:49am On Sep 28, 2023
Cheap because no job for citizens.unless you pay bribe to acquire a job
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by Stephench: 6:56am On Sep 28, 2023
Okoroawusa:

Most of your friends in Abuja and Lagos earn 30k a month? Please change your friends. Even the barrowpusher earns more than 30k in a month
Don't even go there. Lagos and Abuja are the only places I've visited so far and I've talked with people - I'm not talking about my friends. And who's talking about Barrow pushers? We're talking about salary earners - salespeople, shopkeepers, cleaners, househelps, some government workers without degree, even a girl I talked with works in CBN as cleaner and they pay her 30k the list goes on.
Re: Nigeria Is 4th Cheapest Country To Live In The World - World Of Statistics by NOETHNICITY(m): 7:09am On Sep 28, 2023
headboyprince:
this just shows that your naira is useless because Nigeria mimimum wage will make you a destitute anywhere in the world...

the more useless the naira becomes the more cheaper things look here to someone over there due to the gap in the currency... mind you this only covers food and rent made in nigeria

what of imported stuffs. the iphone cost over 1 million naira this is a phone kids use over there because it's less than their minimum wage.. what of cars and other imported stuff an sad sad
Oya continue to import

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Udom Emmanuel's Official Driver Impersonates The Nigeria Police / Obituary Of IPOB Member Killed In Abia During Army Invasion (Graphic Photos) / Border Closure: Hameed Ali Reveals How Customs Made N9.2bn In Just One Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.