Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,612 members, 7,816,513 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:27 PM

What's Special About Iphone? - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What's Special About Iphone? (21417 Views)

Andriod Vs Iphone - 6 Reasons why People Are Most Crazy About Iphone Product / What's Special About The Iphone 8 Plus? / ​everything You Need To Know About Iphone 8, Iphone X, And The Rest Of Apple’s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by studyless123: 3:41pm On Oct 04, 2023
cntabs:
Some reasons:

1. Good build quality: You can feel the quality just by holding an iPhone in your hand.
2. Second hand value: For whatever reason, iPhones tend to hold value more than competing brands.
3. iOS: This is debatable but IOS in my opinion is much smoother and more efficient than android. The user interface and experience is very good and is standardized.
There are fewer phones to support so it’s easier for app developers to make their iOS versions as excellent as possible.
4. Longevity: apple continues to release iOS updates for its older iPhones for a good number of years (5 to 6). Androids I had in the past released updates for a year or two and stopped.
This is very important for security as vulnerabilities are patched frequently. It’s no surprise that you find android phones infected with malware that pops up unsolicited adverts without recourse for the user.
5. Cameras: nothing to say here, cameras are decent.
6. Apple ecosystem: A major part of why Apple is successful is how well their various devices play together. Some examples: you can use your iPhone as a webcam on your Mac seamlessly, you can use your iPad as a second screen for your Mac, you can easily and automatically switch your AirPods between all your Apple devices (Mac, iPhone , Apple TV etc).
7. Security: if your phone is stolen/misplaced, you’re almost guaranteed that your data is safe (say you have nudes on the phone). Most of the time the phone can only be sold for parts as it’s difficult or impossible to break iCloud lock.
Even now, it seems the phone is completely useless as Apple has started to digitally sign parts and their permission is required before they can be used as spare parts in other devices.

These are my personal reasons. It’s easy to stay back and think yourself so smart for not using one but my advice is to first use an iPhone before forming an opinion. Same with macs and other Apple devices.

visaclick:
They don’t understand and may never and it is difficult to explain to them. You are very correct about the parts signature, only an amateur thief would steal an iPhone because it is totally useless. Even to replace the screen with another you can’t without the previous screen. Isn’t apple too brilliant?

@cntabs Valid points.
For the replacement parts, it's more of a business decision than a security feature. 3rd party replacement parts works fine and you can use parts from other Iphones. Apple is just making repairability unnecessarily difficult that's why they have one of the lowest repairability score. It doesn't make sense that I must source my parts from Apple when there are better alternatives. It doesn't make sense that you should require "Apple approval" to fix your phone. Some manufacturers have been doing that foe long by the way.

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by aklid(m): 3:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
WhTs so special about Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW, Lamborghini? Ferarri? If u know then you’ll know what’s special about iPhones…. Whatever u think is special about those cars thats what you’ll think of for iPhones..

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Karlifate: 3:46pm On Oct 04, 2023
Kevineleven:
It's not overated, there is an app called Night vision on Apple store, this app allows you to see Through complete darkness , it uses your phone camera without turning on the flashlight. Every where will be green and you will watch people in the night without them knowing.
I looked for the app on play store , the night vision i found on playstore couldn't see shit, it was even darker than the night, I went ahead andd tried other 10 suggested apps under Night vision, all trash thank you.

LMAO! 😂 😂

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by airsaylongcome: 3:52pm On Oct 04, 2023
Beastnation:
Leave am, Imessage is the bomb.. I literally text via Imessage all the time. FaceTime calls clear pass What'sapp the sound quality crazy..

Quick question. Would the Facetime audio quality be the same irrespective of the quality of data connection? I ask because Facetime and WhatsApp use VoIP technology. And I work in that space. Facetime I believe uses G729 codec, a high definition codec, which requires a certain level of data strength and reliability to work. It uses more data and bandwidth for it to work. Whatsapp on the other hand uses G711 or opus codec which can work even on the most useless of connections. So whatsapp is targeting a wider user base whereas Facetime is designed for mostly developed countries that have good and reliable data. Both of them can use the same high bandwidth codec but whatsapp with a lower codec is able to cater to a wider range of internet connection

7 Likes

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by airsaylongcome: 3:55pm On Oct 04, 2023
IfritSpirit:

When you buy a new iPhone ( not UK used ) you can use it for 10 years without a fix. No other phone company can last that long.

Battery Health will last you 10 years?

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Kepukepu: 3:58pm On Oct 04, 2023
finallybusy:
How much dey your account?
my phone is worth 800k and it's not an iPhone.

No dey think say na money no dey make some people no dey use iPhone. IPhone has limited functionalities, aside the processivity, that phone is a piece of shit and its only bandwagon that makes people to buy it.

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by YoungBlackRico(m): 3:59pm On Oct 04, 2023
I'm an Android person, but ngl, when it comes to some useful apps, you can only get them on iPhone
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Moniya4Real(m): 4:00pm On Oct 04, 2023
Nothing is as correct and on point as what you pointed out here bro.👍

pseudonomer:

All flagship Android phones are as expensive as iPhones. The reason why many focus on iPhones is that Apple doesn’t produce mid-range or low-range iPhones, unlike Samsung, Xiaomi, and others. For example, the Samsung S23 Ultra is slightly more expensive than the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Samsung, Google Pixel, LG, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Sony, and others have flagship phones that are often as expensive as iPhones, and sometimes even more so.
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by airsaylongcome: 4:01pm On Oct 04, 2023
IfritSpirit:

Hello, I'm using Samsung galaxy S21 5G and I bought the iphone about 8 month ago, so I'm using both Android and iOS. most people buy used iPhone think they bought new one. I'm talking about Sealed ones. How much did he bought iPhone 11? He will tell you 180k Sebi? Thats a refurbish phone not new.

iPhones are prone to failure. Ask around. I bought an iPhone 13 Pro last June. The screen is dead as I speak and I have had to switch back to my iPhone X. The iPhone X sef, I had to replace the battery
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by airsaylongcome: 4:04pm On Oct 04, 2023
Wizman423:
Operating system and speed. iPhones don’t lag even when it’s old

Not true. There are loads of people that have regretted upgrading their ios because it has lead to a drop in battery duration and noticeable slow down. Also Apple limits the version of OS that can run on their device. iPhone X for example cannot run iOS 17 whereas my old Samsung S7 Edge can run the latest Android
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by babajero(m): 4:10pm On Oct 04, 2023
validplanet:
Apart from camera, what else is special about iphone?

Why do people spend so much on it?
Everyone have their taste and class.
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by pansophist(m): 4:13pm On Oct 04, 2023
Beastnation:

Blood of God baba you too go lie ohh, if I believe you make I bend

Where is the lie here?

And who gives a fork about you? If you like, don't believe, it makes no difference.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by pansophist(m): 4:14pm On Oct 04, 2023
Silentgroper:
4rm phone stores.. Tf, what part of abroad are u in? Ghana?

Cause i knw for a start u cant get a techno in european abroad countries.. Using u.k as a case study.

Ever heard of people travelling to Naija, buy phones there, then go back to maybe faraway Australia, or maybe someone buy it in Nigeria, then a friend bring it over?

6 Likes

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Collinz2(m): 4:17pm On Oct 04, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Battery Health will last you 10 years?
the guy na clown
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Collinz2(m): 4:18pm On Oct 04, 2023
airsaylongcome:

iPhones are prone to failure. Ask around. I bought an iPhone 13 Pro last June. The screen is dead as I speak and I have had to switch back to my iPhone X. The iPhone X sef, I had to replace the battery
He will say you bought refurbished iphone
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by hustla(m): 4:18pm On Oct 04, 2023
pseudonomer:

All flagship Android phones are as expensive as iPhones. The reason why many focus on iPhones is that Apple doesn’t produce mid-range or low-range iPhones, unlike Samsung, Xiaomi, and others. For example, the Samsung S23 Ultra is slightly more expensive than the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Samsung, Google Pixel, LG, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Sony, and others have flagship phones that are often as expensive as iPhones, and sometimes even more so.

So the old C iPhones, XR and XS are what? grin
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by airsaylongcome: 4:20pm On Oct 04, 2023
Collinz2:
He will say you bought refurbished iphone

Lol! If you noticed, I did not say anything about brand new. Purposely left that out to get him to mention that. I bought the iPhone X brand new in Nigeria. From a very renowned retailer. The iPhone 13 Pro I bought at the Apple store in New York City
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by studyless123: 4:23pm On Oct 04, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Quick question. Would the Facetime audio quality be the same irrespective of the quality of data connection? I ask because Facetime and WhatsApp use VoIP technology. And I work in that space. Facetime I believe uses G729 codec, a high definition codec, which requires a certain level of data strength and reliability to work. It uses more data and bandwidth for it to work. Whatsapp on the other hand uses G711 or opus codec which can work even on the most useless of connections. So whatsapp is targeting a wider user base whereas Facetime is designed for mostly developed countries that have good and reliable data. Both of them can use the same high bandwidth codec but whatsapp with a lower codec is able to cater to a wider range of internet connection

Thanks for those technical details. These are some of the underpinnings of tech that most people don't know. Even if they use the same codec the compression is different. WhatsApp compresses all videos before sending them. It was designed to optimize the user experience based on bandwidth. If that wasn't done it won't be as widespread as it is especially in developing lands. There's a cost for everything.

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by airsaylongcome: 4:28pm On Oct 04, 2023
studyless123:

Thanks for those technical details. These are some of the underpinnings of tech that most people don't know. Even if they use the same codec the compression is different. WhatsApp compresses all videos before sending them. It was designed to optimize the user experience based on bandwidth. If that wasn't done it won't be as widespread as it is especially in developing lands. There's a cost for everything.

You are absolutely right that even with the same codec, they may be implementing different compression mechanisms resulting in different experience. For a phone call, I really don't care of I hear HD audio or 8Khz basic audio. All I care about is whether I can hear the person on the other side and whether they can hear me

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 04, 2023
IPhone has better processors than Android.
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by ednut1(m): 4:32pm On Oct 04, 2023
Fearyourcreator:

$1k is chicken change... why them dey collect contracts phones mostly then? Am asking
because service providers offer extra perks/ benefits when you do a contract phone. It also help build your credit score.

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Aboguede(m): 4:36pm On Oct 04, 2023
Let me help u and others

We are now living in what is called "global world" and such world revolves around Internet mostly.

You either die or adopt! shocked

Benekkk:
20 years ago the gadgets we consider indispensable today were not even remotely in our imagination. We are all being programmed by advertising and social media like zombies. Truly I wouldn’t be writing this without internet and a mobile phone but must my life revolve around them? Can I live a good life without them?
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Jeboy(m): 4:36pm On Oct 04, 2023
It's lack of exposure and poverty mindset that makes you think iPhone is overrated. Common Egypt here I went to a program where people come from different countries.

Are you saying they are all wrong for preferring iPhone as their mobile phone choice.

The average 9ja guy or lady will rather bad mouth what they can't afford.

Tell people here to queue for new iPhone now you will see a long queue from Lagos to Adamawa state.
Truth is you like MacBook, iPhone and ios product but you are either materially or mentally broke to afford or recognized that it is good for your hard earned money.

2 Likes

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by HardMirror(m): 4:42pm On Oct 04, 2023
0rion:

People like you just follow the crowd. That's why iphones are overrated. Same way blackberry was. I predicted the fall of bb. Some iPhone will be obsolete when people will realise apple is just scamming their customers. No real life use
you are fantastically stupid for calling bb overrated. Back then when bb was reigning which phone was better?

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by finallybusy: 4:43pm On Oct 04, 2023
Kepukepu:
my phone is worth 800k and it's not an iPhone.

No dey think say na money no dey make some people no dey use iPhone. IPhone has limited functionalities, aside the processivity, that phone is a piece of shit and its only bandwagon that makes people to buy it.
Broke child on Nairaland.
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Dinero0(m): 4:49pm On Oct 04, 2023
aklid:
WhTs so special about Mercedes Benz, Audi, BMW, Lamborghini? Ferarri? If u know then you’ll know what’s special about iPhones…. Whatever u think is special about those cars thats what you’ll think of for iPhones..
*best reply so far, you no go fall*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by 0rion: 4:59pm On Oct 04, 2023
HardMirror:
you are fantastically stupid for calling bb overrated. Back then when bb was reigning which phone was better?

You are stupidly stupid. The phone or OS then was Android. Because you weren't exposed you thought bb was the Alpha and omega. Mumu
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by studyless123: 4:59pm On Oct 04, 2023
airsaylongcome:

You are absolutely right that even with the same codec, they may be implementing different compression mechanisms resulting in different experience. For a phone call, I really don't care of I hear HD audio or 8Khz basic audio. All I care about is whether I can hear the person on the other side and whether they can hear me

Unfortunately we love buzz words and tech jargons. Nothing has changed in analog transmission technology since the 1800's and wireless telephony since the 1960's. All that's happening is DSP, compression algorithms, Wideband optimization, multiplexing, security updates and now AI integration. Major audio improvements are on the speaker side of devices.
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by zoedew: 5:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
validplanet:

So what's special about iOS for someone to pay 1 million naira for?
THE SECURITY OF DATA ASSURED BY THE IOS BUILD AND REGULAR UPDATES. EXCELLENT AND UNRIVALLED HARDWARE BUILD.

1 Like

Re: What's Special About Iphone? by zoedew: 5:02pm On Oct 04, 2023
validplanet:

THE SECURITY OF DATA ASSURED BY THE IOS BUILD AND REGULAR UPDATES. EXCELLENT AND UNRIVALLED HARDWARE BUILD.
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by Kepukepu: 5:06pm On Oct 04, 2023
TheMaterialist:
IPhone has better processors than Android.

lol, not all Androids
Re: What's Special About Iphone? by okoroemeka(m): 5:11pm On Oct 04, 2023
validplanet:

there are luxury products made for the rich like rolls Royce cars,gucci and Versace cloths,Rolex and Patel Phillips watches,etc,the wealthy must stand out,you cannot be a tenant and own a Rolls-Royce,those poor people buying iPhones are just trying to be like the Benjamin's

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 Specifications & Photos / New MTN Tariff Plans: Which One Should I Choose? / The Bitter Experience Of Gionee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.