Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,927 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:40 PM

I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! (41122 Views)

I Received My First Salary Today (PHOTO) / Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / Has Anyone Received February N-power Pay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by damosade(m): 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2023
When they give you responsibility for church u go dey run. See urself

1 Like

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Kay25(m): 10:15pm On Oct 05, 2023
How is that a disgrace?u forgot that's it cos u are human abegi go learn how to not being bitter

1 Like

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by tobstarizhia(m): 10:20pm On Oct 05, 2023
I'm no longer afraid of such things, just that I hate doing it
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Greatlee54: 10:20pm On Oct 05, 2023
Get GABA 750mg and thank me later
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Wallteck: 10:20pm On Oct 05, 2023
damosade:
When they give you responsibility for church u go dey run. See urself

grin grin grin... I no dey go church that much!!
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by tobby20: 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2023
Chasito:
You just reminded me of my final year school project defense grin
ordinary project proposal indey flop
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by DebbieNotNice: 10:28pm On Oct 05, 2023
No matter what you do in this life, pls practice public speaking. I used to feel nervous, hate wanting to talk to more than 3 people but I later realized public speaking skills will be very needed in my personal and professional career. Pls practice this skill with ur friends, kids (for building up confidence), group of pple more than 3.

Be assertive, coherent, empathetic, friendly but maintain a professional tone, confident, speak slowly, maintain reasonable eye contact, wear a smiley face.

This approach is not a one size fits all approach because situations vary but these steps can greatly help.

Public speaking skill is something you constantly develop on. You don't just perfect it.

4 Likes

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Darkmode64: 10:32pm On Oct 05, 2023
PaganTerrorist:

LMAO

Learn to code bro
Lol then he gets a remote job. How does he perform at daily stand-ups and team presentations. Dey play you hear?

1 Like

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Jman06(m): 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

Omo the thing pain me!!! Na mad disgrace!!
Don't let it weigh you down.

Try to overcome timidity. It doesn't pay! Some people in a bid to conform to societal moral expectations become timid.

Meanwhile, your professors and any wise person in the presentation hall will understand.
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Obaman12: 10:35pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

I think drugs can cure this thing, it seem my heart is powerful than me, my heart will just be beating for no reason

Brother, you are not alone. I had worst fear during my proposal defense a month ago. But mine, God helped me to scale through.

1 Like

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by lipstick1(f): 10:38pm On Oct 05, 2023
Had a similar experience last month in my Team's years Business Review meeting.Havent gotten over the shame.

God help us

3 Likes

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by HopeSpencer: 10:39pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:
I have a very big phobia talking to crowd!! Today while I was presenting a project in front of the audience , I first started with a good introduction everybody dey feel my flows, suddenly I just stopped , all the thing in my head I forget it. Na only my heart Kon dey work, my soul left my body.

I was trembling in fear, my heart was beating more than normal, I end up fucking up the interview . they assisted me on the presentation, the thing really pain me, have always be running from talking to crowd, it finally catch up to me at old age!!!

Used me as a lesson, the problem you failed to address now will catch up with you later, No matter how run away from it.

My mood just spoil today.... it really pain me a lot!!! The funniest thing is that if I'm alone I will present it very well with British accent feeling like I'm on the top of the world😭😭😭😭

My number one gift is PUBLIC SPEAKING but I fought timidity when I was a JSS1 student.

1 Like

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Ibime(m): 10:45pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:
I have a very big phobia talking to crowd!! Today while I was presenting a project in front of the audience , I first started with a good introduction everybody dey feel my flows, suddenly I just stopped , all the thing in my head I forget it. Na only my heart Kon dey work, my soul left my body.

I was trembling in fear, my heart was beating more than normal, I end up fucking up the interview . they assisted me on the presentation, the thing really pain me, have always be running from talking to crowd, it finally catch up to me at old age!!!

Used me as a lesson, the problem you failed to address now will catch up with you later, No matter how run away from it.

My mood just spoil today.... it really pain me a lot!!! The funniest thing is that if I'm alone I will present it very well with British accent feeling like I'm on the top of the world😭😭😭😭

My friend, buy propranolol and thank me later. It cures stage fright

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by uuzba(m): 10:46pm On Oct 05, 2023
lipstick1:
Had a similar experience last month in my Team's years Business Review meeting.Havent gotten over the shame.

God help us
Begining is hard.
But you must begin
After 3, 4 times you'll lose the fear and start wondering why you were ever afraid at all..
But if you keep avoiding it, it will follow you till old age.
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Uche559(m): 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

I was trying to do it off my head, I crammed everything!!! I want to show off that I'm also intelligent

Yea I can relate cos am good at cramming too. Let me give u more tips
Be the first to ask or answer question when in public, if there's a question like smne shld pray, be d first, or any suggestion, always be the first. Let it be intentional. Anytime you speak of your own volition, the confidence will be there n ur heart will beat less. N as u practice more, u ll b surprised
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Ferrous(m): 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2023
This was one of my greatest challenges, but, by the help of my church, I overcame it by being assigned to some roles in our church, like leading of choruses, bible reading, teaching and so on.
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by HopeSpencer: 10:50pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

I will give you just 3 tips that helped me to overcome timidity and fear of public speaking. Today, I'm a pro. I mean I have unmatched boldness to speak to any largest crowd on earth and hold them spellbound.

1. See the crowd as your enemy. You are on that stage to overcome them. Tell yourself that you are the only human being in that hall and that every other person is an ANDROID... this means you have the power over them to program them as an app. That means if you fail, it's because you programmed the crowd to witness your failure. If you succeed, it means you programmed the crowd to witness your success. Look them in eyes in such a way that you see yourself as being above them in any aspect even if the president of the country is among them. I became very popular in Winners Chapel, ogbomoso after speaking on stage for less than 5 minutes. What I said was nothing unusual, but my skill is out of this world.

2. Know your subject extremely well.

3. Buy Dale Carnegie's book on public speaking. Master it. That's all.

1 Like

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by abobote: 10:52pm On Oct 05, 2023
When SUG PRO in the poly, I used to take a bottle of Guinness, before going to classes to Alutarise, and it worked perfectly.

It was very sweet then, I will be hearing PRO we love you. But GP paid the price, the ended in tears
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by McCoy662(m): 10:55pm On Oct 05, 2023
advanceDNA:

Pele....
u for wear dark sunshade...
And drink small kinkini red label...not enough to get u high but just enough to make u feel u are taller than everyone in the room.... grin

Bad guy 🤣🤣
This really helped me back in the days
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Slynation(m): 10:56pm On Oct 05, 2023
Stage flight is one aspect of life everyone should overcome in school...but it is what is it!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Slynation(m): 11:00pm On Oct 05, 2023
abobote:
When SUG PRO in the poly, I used to take a bottle of Guinness, before going to classes to Alutarise, and it worked perfectly.

It was very sweet then, I will be hearing PRO we love you. But GP paid the price, the ended in tears
Omo...my immediate past Departmental President still haven't graduated by now!! One course still held him down the last time I checked all because of going from class to class and attending meetings upon meetings when he's supposed to be in lecture...

Like I will always advise any student, your primary focus in school should be your education, every other thing is entertainment.
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Natbrowny: 11:00pm On Oct 05, 2023
Sorry about that

FACE YOUR FEARS NO BE JUST MOTIVATIONAL YARNS

ITS SUPPOSED TO BE A STREET VIBE.

u think say u don escape am. E go f*ck u up, left. Right, down center.
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Slynation(m): 11:07pm On Oct 05, 2023
astonished:
Try and get a teaching job in private school, just start from teaching primary to secondary school, by then you will be used to facing crowd
Kai...so he should leave his company work for teaching job?? shocked wow!!
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Hezmatosky: 11:12pm On Oct 05, 2023
Have knowledge of what you're presenting, rehearse before hand, dress comfortably well, take a bit of alcohol in advance next time, put the audience in infancy mode, look at yourself as one who knows what the audience did not know, be spontaneous, take a deep breath in and out severally befor hitting the point, say a little joke, put everyone in smiling mode to creat a fun session, so that even though you make mistakes they'll hardly notice.
Na you wey no create the enabling environment for yourself.
Also try and eat very well, hunger can cause panic.
Although who dey eat well for this Tinubu period sef?
Bro, sorry. Hunger contribute wetin do u cheesy

4 Likes

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Gracesussy: 11:15pm On Oct 05, 2023
*HP 1040 G5 || COREI5 ||16GBRAM x360|| 512GBSSD TOUCHSCREEN KEYBOARD LIGHT || 8th gen ||* 🏷️N350. 000 FIXED!! (please read fixed/ please do not DM to negotiate to avoid ……. Product is as a new
WhatsApp only 07068530…2…2..1 (WhatsApp for pictures)
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by zedman1(m): 11:29pm On Oct 05, 2023
eventainment:
Public Speaking by Dale Carnegie You need to read that book it helped my life
As for me, I read some books related to what you prescribed to the OP, I could speak like Obama in my head or when I'm alone, but when two or three are gathered (lol)... Ok, more than three actually, when there's a small crowd and I'm asked to speak, my heartbeat takes entire control of my being. I'm unable to say a word, just like the OP. The only thing that got to save me was when I discovered alcohol. At some point I thought I had overcome that fear but I discovered whenever I tried speaking in public without licking that juice, I fumble. And I'm not a kid anymore- I'm married sef. So I don't think it has sooo much to do with age like some people think. We're just born differently. So you see? alcohol came through for me. Those books couldn't epp.

2 Likes

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by ObaaOfYorubaLan: 11:30pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

So so sorry for the embarrassment
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by dreamwords: 11:38pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

there is a drug i use , when im to talk in crowd, it does wonders, it changed my life, quote me if u need it, it stopped my embarrassment too
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by Faithful007: 11:41pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

Op your problem isn't really fear of talking to crowd but rather the fear of embarrassing yourself in public. You speak well alone because there is no embarrassment there. If you take that mentality to the crowd, you'll start speaking well.

If you get to read this, I want to give you probably your greatest advice ever if you follow it. This advice will set you free from sadness, anxieties, OCD and all other disorders that plague human beings all the time.

Imagine yourself coming suddenly face to face with a Grizzly Bear. It launches itself at you and you try to fight it off but you quickly realize that it is overpowering you. Serious anxiety and fear of a very painful death sets in. Somehow you break free and begin to run, you look back and realize that she is still after you. The next time you look back, the bear is very close and will pounce on you at any moment. The fear at this point is unimaginable. You have completely forgotten the fact that you're an engineer at X.corp with $100000 in the account. But all of a sudden the bear turns to a cockroach. What is the result on your side? You know best.

The human brain has this strategy known as fight-or-flight response. Whenever your brain identifies a problem that seems to threaten your 'normal' life or well-being, it will zero down to that problem and activate your response systems. Your anxiety levels will rise, your brain will sustain that problem in memory and you begin to forget every other thing that is not concerned with the problem. The thing with this response is that the human instinct does not consider a possibility of the problem ceasing to exist especially in irrational ways. As far as the brain is concerned its either you fight or you run away.

FoF response is very useful when you have real life-threatening problems like the one described above, or an armed robber chasing you, or feeling very sick in the midnight or caught in a flood. However FoF can sometimes identify things that are not necessarily problems as serious problems. FoF only works for physical problems. Once you begin to have mental health issues or phobia or any psychological problems at all. Engaging FoF will take you straight into a never ending miserable life of fighting and avoidance. Basically any problem/failure that only surfaces when you suddenly think of it or remember it is triggered by environment, is not an actual problem. If you actually forget that you can't talk to crowds, you'll talk to crowds seamlessly.

What is the solution then: Learn how to accept and embrace your failures. The issue with actively trying to avoid or fight this kinds of failure is that the brain zeros down on that issue and throws every other thing outta the window. Then it keeps its spotlight on that problem. Eventually you won't solve it and you will feel terrible inside. The moment you started trying to make sure you did not fumble in the hall, your brain left the essay and started to actively prevent the fumbling. However, your brain has already deprioritized the essential thing which is the essay. Now you have no option than to fumble again. The worst feeling is that you can't even forget the problem. Once you still see that stuff as a problem, your brain in FoF will keep it in mind till you solve it and you can't that way.

What separates excellence from perfectionism is that one gives room for failure while the other doesn't. Perfectionists, Religious people, Overthinkers, Competitive people and people with low-self-esteem/insecurities are mostly affected by this problem. You need to break away from right and wrong, true or false in many aspects of your life. That way, you begin to detach your brain from focusing on those things and monitoring whether you have "escaped it" or "gotten it right". If you didn't worry so much about getting it right, you will talk with much more confidence and eventually you won't even fail. Even if you did, it would not bother you so much. The thing about mental/anxiety-related problems is that bothering about them makes them much worse while accepting them makes them much better. It sounds strange but trust me, IT WORKS.

Practicing this may not be easy but it doesn't take too long to notice improvement especially with the fear and anxiety that associated with these things. Eventually when the fear has come down, the brain starts to forget the problem because it doesn't exist in reality. I have practiced this with many fear-related problems I used to have. One easy way to do this is to deliberately cause that problem. Once you do that, your brain begins to wonder if that is even a problem at all. Go and talk to a crowd and deliberately fail even before fear causes you to. Its the fear that is causing your problem not failure. If you fail on your own, you'll notice that you didn't even forget what you're talking about. Personally I have practiced sitting in the dark deliberately. There was a time my hands would vibrate when eating in public. I stopped it with two approaches. I would proudly say it and/or I will purposely leave my fork in the air to see what would even happen.

OMG I have said a lot but the key thing is, when a phobia or anxiety issue is plaguing you, don't avoid or fight it. Deliberate walk into it and unmask it. That way you make your brain understand that it is not a problem, eventually your brain will deprioritize that issue and you won't even suffer it anymore.

5 Likes

Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by LOVEGINO(m): 11:47pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

buy big vodka and half it. Tank me later
Re: I Received The Greatest Disgrace Of My Life!!! by kkulaja(m): 11:54pm On Oct 05, 2023
Wallteck:

Na me dem go use do meme for company!!! I was just skipping, I cant control my heart again!! It get to a point I cant talk again, my heart has taking over me, if I continue talking longer I fit catch stroke, I just pause...

I don laff tire for dis ur matter
No be small thing to handle mic address crowd wen u have never practised or done it before
iKR

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Salary Earners Can You Relate To This Picture? / Firdaus Amasa Insulted Those Who Begged Her To Remove Her Hijab - Twitter User / Meet The Banker Who Turned To Puff Puff Seller In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.