Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,392 members, 7,836,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:08 AM

House, I Am Confused - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / House, I Am Confused (26883 Views)

I Am Confused: Please Advise Me! / Which Path Should I Take? I Am Confused! / Nigerian Lady In The US Army Confused Her Colleague With Pidgin English (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: House, I Am Confused by soccerlite: 4:36pm On Oct 12, 2023
Your first building project is in the village

Lolzzzzz 🤣

myopic

1 Like

Re: House, I Am Confused by Jacku: 4:42pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

I am in a dilemma and I need advice on what to do.

A bit of background about myself: I am a 29 years only child from a very poor background. I work for an IT firm which i joined in 2019 as a graduate trainee.

My total income is around 490k (400k from main job, 90k from a writing side gig).

My challenge:
Recently, My host have told me to look for my accommodation and I have been searching for houses. Unfortunately, the places closer to my places of work is expensive.

I work in VI and the cheapest mini flat I have seen in close vicinity is 1.2M at Ajah.

I also have have a building project I am undertaking in the village that is at roofing stage and my parents have been pressuring me to settle down as the only child.

My dilemma is this, If i go for the house at Ajah, it will eat a bulk of my savings, thereby making it impossible for me to complete the building project or even start the process of settling down.

If I go for a cheaper but farer location, I will be spending more time in traffic.

Please, how do I manage this?

guy, be smart na come on! What's wrong with you? Aren't there places on the mainland that isn't far from VI? Gbagada is there, Oworo is there, Yaba is there. Even my side, Shogunle isn't far from Oshodi BRT station and you can take BRT as early as possible. You can even decide to stay in Obalende sef.

Come'on na
Re: House, I Am Confused by Nonywendy(m): 4:48pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

A bit of background about myself: I am a 29 years only child from a very poor background. I work for an IT firm which i joined in 2019 as a graduate trainee.

My total income is around 490k (400k from main job, 90k from a writing side gig).

My challenge:
Recently, My host have told me to look for my accommodation and I have been searching for houses. Unfortunately, the places closer to my places of work is expensive.

I work in VI and the cheapest mini flat I have seen in close vicinity is 1.2M at Ajah.

I also have have a building project I am undertaking in the village that is at roofing stage and my parents have been pressuring me to settle down as the only child.

My dilemma is this, If i go for the house at Ajah, it will eat a bulk of my savings, thereby making it impossible for me to complete the building project or even start the process of settling down.

If I go for a cheaper but farer location, I will be spending more time in traffic.

Get the mini flat and pair with someone so u both can share d rent
Re: House, I Am Confused by Wiinnd(m): 4:54pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

My challenge:

Let me give you my own advise. Come get a Mini flat or self contain around Mile 2, Cooker, Maza Maza. You will be using the Train services to Marina and Back to Mile 2. No hold up, no go slow. They're about to increase the number of movements.

That is my own good piece

Re: House, I Am Confused by Prettychild(f): 4:55pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

My challenge:

Go to villages around if any to rent an apartment. Please how did you get the writing gigs? I am interested. Thank you

Re: House, I Am Confused by Ijaycool(f): 4:55pm On Oct 12, 2023
@Saviourplease you are an academic writer? Reach out to me
Re: House, I Am Confused by Sivou1(m): 5:01pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:

Yaba and Surulere rent is in the same range as Ajah. I will still have to pay a million plus to get a miniflat there.

I think those areas might be closer to VI than ajah, depending on the area of ajah though. Have you checked Gbagada as well? Do not limit your search to ajah. Remember also that your job first before your building project, the job finances the project. Best of luck
Re: House, I Am Confused by extremelygolden: 5:05pm On Oct 12, 2023
missidy:
This is not true please. 2 bedroom in games village off bode Thomas is 700k. Get the number of several agents or go there yourself and find out. I have surulere, isolo and Ago rents knowledge first hand so that figure they quoted for you isn't true.

That must be some months ago. Houses in Surulere now are damned so expensive for reasons best known to House Agents, Developers and Landlords!

We are presently looking for accommodation and below is the price list of what we've been getting: (We're particularly interested in new buildings to avoid story that touches the heart).

1. Mini-flat = N1.2 (minimum) per annum
A. Agent and Agreement = N240,000 ( non-negotiable).
B. Service charge per annum = N150,000 (minimum) non-negotiable). Some highly greed ones even said N300,000 per annum.
C. Caution Fee - Some say N100,000, others said N50,000.

AMOUNT PAYABLE JUST FOR ONE YEAR! Mini-flat for that matter! Now tell me, is that not witchcraft?

2. Our actual budget for the 2-bedroom flat is N1.5m, but the thieves said it now goes for N2. 5m per annum. Then add the A, B & C above, and don't forget that since it's a two-bedroom flat, those charges are higher.

3. Please don't even talk about 3-bedroom flat. The total amount will be more than enough to build you extra house back home.

The above prices are for rents around Ogunlana Drive, Olufemi and its environs, Shitta, Bode Thomas, Akerelere, Falolu, Masha, Adeniran Ogunsanya and environs.

Ijesha is cheap, but not as cheap as renting a two bedroom for N700,000, as of today ooo.

Again, Op should be very careful because majority of the old buildings have either being sold out, or about to be sold out. I know of two families now that are devastated. They rented apartments about 3 to 4 months ago, only to find out now that it has been sold out for quite sometime and the former owner wickedly rented it out again. The new owner is insisting they have to pack out, and where's the money?

And some old buildings are even in such a deplorable condition that you'll have to invest so much money renovating and making it habitable.

Maybe he should consider Karonwi/Adedeji or Ijesha itself. He should also make sure the compound has water and prepaid meter, at least, to save him the cost of paying estimated PHCN bill and buying water.

You can make your research again. Rents are going higher everday. God help us.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: House, I Am Confused by missidy: 5:18pm On Oct 12, 2023
Yes houses in surulere has gone up but I am very sure of games village rent because we are the landlord. We rented it out at 600k, others are putting 700k. No house is above 700k in that estate. If you want posh houses that are not in low cost estates, then they will be more expensive. Abeg Karonwi na local area, I won't advice him to go there.
extremelygolden:

That must be some months ago. Houses in Surulere now are damned so expensive for reasons best known to House Agents, Developers and Landlords!

We are presently looking for accommodation and below is the price list of what we've been getting: (We're particularly interested in new buildings to avoid story that touches the heart).

1. Mini-flat = N1.2 (minimum) per annum
A. Agent and Agreement = N240,000 ( non-negotiable).
B. Service charge per annum = N150,000 (minimum) non-negotiable). Some highly greed ones even said N300,000 per annum.
C. Caution Fee - Some say N100,000, others said N50,000.

AMOUNT PAYABLE JUST FOR ONE YEAR! Mini-flat for that matter! Now tell me, is that not witchcraft?

2. Our actual budget for the 2-bedroom flat is N1.5m, but the thieves said it now goes for N2. 5m per annum. Then add the A, B & C above, and don't forget that since it's a two-bedroom flat, those charges are higher.

3. Please don't even talk about 3-bedroom flat. The total amount will be more than enough to build you extra house back home.

The above prices are for rents around Ogunlana Drive, Olufemi and its environs, Shitta, Bode Thomas, Akerelere, Falolu, Masha, Adeniran Ogunsanya and environs.

Ijesha is cheap, but not as cheap as renting a two bedroom for N700,000, as of today ooo.

Again, Op should be very careful because majority of the old buildings have either being sold out, or about to be sold out. I know of two families now that are devastated. They rented apartments about 3 to 4 months ago, only to find out now that it has been sold out for quite sometime and the former owner wickedly rented it out again. The new owner is insisting they have to pack out, and where's the money?

And some old buildings are even in such a deplorable condition that you'll have to invest so much money renovating and making it habitable.

Maybe he should consider Karonwi/Adedeji or Ijesha itself. He should also make sure the compound has water and prepaid meter, at least, to save him the cost of paying estimated PHCN bill and buying water.

You can make your research again. Rents are going higher everday. God help us.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: House, I Am Confused by Slynation(m): 5:23pm On Oct 12, 2023
Like are you hearing yourself, how can you stay with someone that long while building a house in your village. I wonder why people don't cherish their privacy...Now, you have put yourself under unnecessary pressure!!

2 Likes

Re: House, I Am Confused by KayyDee: 5:29pm On Oct 12, 2023
Unfortunately bro, it's what it is.

If you need a mini flat around Ajah, the total package should be around that 1.2M

However, you should be able to put your eye for ground, and look well well (don't be too desperate)

You can get an older mini flat for #800 (annual rent ONLY)

But new ones are generally around 1 million (annual rent ONLY)

In summary, to keep your cost down, just cool down and look for a very good "not so new" houses (they call it "pack -out"wink at around #800

SECONDLY, to reduce you transportation cost (and some terrible traffic on some bad days), you may want to avoid badore/lamgbasa area.

You can look at finding a place (in the safe area) around Ilaje.

But, if you don't mind the extra transport cost and the occasional wicked traffic, just kukuma go badore.

Because, there are cheaper houses down at badore (for obvious reasons... i.e. farther distance to Ajah Bridge)

Saviourplease:

Re: House, I Am Confused by extremelygolden: 5:37pm On Oct 12, 2023
missidy:
Yes houses in surulere has gone up but I am very sure of games village rent because we are the landlord. We rented it out at 600k, others are putting 700k. No house is above 700k in that estate. If you want posh houses that are not in low cost estates, then they will be more expensive. Abeg Karonwi na local area, I won't advice him to go there.

Ok then. Games Village is ok. Op should heed your advice then. Yes, Karonwi/ Adedeji is a local area.

See nah, I was on Johnson Street, Bode Thomas the other day to inspect a house. If I had prior knowledge about Games Village, I would have gone to check as well.

1 Like

Re: House, I Am Confused by cedricksly: 6:02pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:

The office option will not work.

How do I keep costs low?
look for a shared apartment.. Maybe a two or 3 room flat, where u will be given a room from it and Y'all use the living room and kitchen together and you split the rent 3 way.. Don't fall for that trap of marriage yet when u haven't found your fit.
Re: House, I Am Confused by jaxxy(m): 6:02pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

My challenge:

whatever u do don't marry a liability or hungry girl. it will set u back.

Every other thing is easy to resolve. look for a shared apartment close by or get an small bt safe place even if its a bq in phase1 or vi.
Re: House, I Am Confused by tunwumi: 6:09pm On Oct 12, 2023
This summary shows you are irresponsible. You have no financial contribution to your host. You take no part in handling of how that place is been run. You believe he/she is stupid to be paying for everything while smart you was busy building houses and saving.

The person is trying to teach you basics of responsibility and there is no better way to learn than to be on your own.

Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

My challenge:

Re: House, I Am Confused by Montaque(m): 6:09pm On Oct 12, 2023
As an only child, you need to settle down so that your parents can heave a sigh. You owe them that. It is not easy being the only child in this country.

To settle down, you need a flat, at least a one/two bedroom flat. You can get a a good one in Ebute Metta (the closest mainland area to the Island) for between 500k to 1m. You need that first above every other thing (a man's house is his castle). You will see that ones you sort this out, other problems in your life take shape for you to tackle easily.

To be frank with you, you have your whole lifetime to build a house in the village. So its not priority now. Get a good place to lay your head (January to November) before thinking of where you will lay your head two weeks in December.
Re: House, I Am Confused by Growing(m): 6:13pm On Oct 12, 2023
You work at VI.

Consider staying on the mainland so you can still have much disposable income.

Surulere or Isolo can still work for now.

1 Like

Re: House, I Am Confused by demoBaba: 6:16pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:

I am not beefing him. He tried. Just that i was planning on leaving in January.
. Planning to leaving by January, Baba if your host didn't asked you to give him space, you wouldn't vacate by 2025. You're too comfortable in someone apartment.

3 Likes

Re: House, I Am Confused by youngsahito(m): 6:19pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

My challenge:

don't you have any plans of leaving the house for over 4 years? Your host has really tried for you to keep you under his abode for that long. Go out yourself and meet estate agent and don't just listen to somebody telling you about one location.

1 Like

Re: House, I Am Confused by MrRemedyAlagbo(m): 6:24pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:

Yaba and Surulere rent is in the same range as Ajah. I will still have to pay a million plus to get a miniflat there.
This is far from truth,a self contained around aguda or ijesha is not up to 500k, I've lived in the area before and trust me they're enjoying basic amenities more than the overrated slum ajah,go to Jiji you'll see a suitable apartment in that range in that area, and it's still close to vi, just wake up early,once you reach cms you're close to work already

1 Like

Re: House, I Am Confused by 77up(m): 6:28pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:

You have been getting that kind of good pay since 2019 and you are still squirting wow.

Oga pause the building project and sort yourself out on that accommodation issue first.

Your host really tried, I give it to him🙌

2 Likes

Re: House, I Am Confused by 77up(m): 6:30pm On Oct 12, 2023
demoBaba:
. Planning to leaving by January, Baba if your host didn't asked you to give him space, you wouldn't vacate by 2025. You're too comfortable in someone apartment.
Abi o , with that kind pay grin

1 Like

Re: House, I Am Confused by abobote: 6:40pm On Oct 12, 2023
You are earning 490k and you are afraid to 1.2M per year.
Nawaoh
Re: House, I Am Confused by yetty247(f): 7:03pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

My challenge:

You stay in the city but you are building in the village 🤣

Do you plan relocating back to village after so years?

I think sorting yourself where you stay and earn comes first b4 building anything in the village... Last last na family members go occupy there

Re: House, I Am Confused by Cool83(m): 7:25pm On Oct 12, 2023
Taylor92:
You are into IT

Mix tie hustle with small Yahoo

I’m outta here

None of your comments or post can surprise me anymore
Re: House, I Am Confused by tyinfinity: 7:39pm On Oct 12, 2023
Must you rent a flat .look for a single room in a compound .
Re: House, I Am Confused by Peterpanny: 7:48pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:

Yahoo is against my FAITH. Thanks for the response though.
him say small yahoo.

Re: House, I Am Confused by VULCAN(m): 8:00pm On Oct 12, 2023
I couldn't have said it better myself

MrMcJay:
I will be very tough on you. Make of my post what you will.

29-Year old man without a rented apartment but building a house in the village. You don't even have shame. Parasitism has limited your ability to think. Almost 30 and you are squatting about like a vagabond.

Money you're supposed to use to take certifications, trainings, be more productive and better your life, you are using to pile concrete blocks in the village. Imagine if Coscharis used his initial profits to build houses in the village.

Google what they call "dead capital'.

A lot of people would have gone far in life but they have planted their seed on wrong grounds. That is what you are senselessly doing.
Re: House, I Am Confused by jay0: 8:06pm On Oct 12, 2023
wittywriter:
OP you seem not sincere with yourself and that's a sign of irresponsibility.

Since 2019; that's a four(4) years period equivalent to a term of political leadership position...and someone like you may be complaining about bad governance...SMH.

I don't see any reason for you to be confused unless you didn't plan .

Talking about a house in another state you've even not completed make no sense unless you intend to resign and become an entrepreneur(great if you do).

Going by your income means you can achieve both completing your project and also still have a new roof over your head.
I have a Mentee that earns slightly above what you stated(#5-6million yearly) and she will be completing her 6year-mortgage by end of 2026/7 but already owns and stays in her house since last year.

Even here in the state i live single peeps seek and secure shared apartment talkless of where you are; LAGOS.

So do the needful.

Wittyness.
I would like to know about this mortgage issue pls
Re: House, I Am Confused by okerekingsley90: 8:14pm On Oct 12, 2023
Saviourplease:
Good evening house.

My challenge:

You never serious to make up your mind. Life is all about sacrifices. It's up to you to decide either to spend more or save more while facing the consequences. You must pay a price for everything in life. Man up !!!!

Re: House, I Am Confused by Clinghton: 8:32pm On Oct 12, 2023
Your colleagues at work might help.
Re: House, I Am Confused by Rinoxy: 8:46pm On Oct 12, 2023
udeh3:
It depends on how you view it...

If you work in VI, you can get a decent apartment, like 2bedroom in Surulere for like 800/850k which is less than 20% of your annual income. 20/25% of your annual income should be for shelter according to UNICEF. You can also get that around Yanuworu or Estate which isn't too far from VI in all sincerity when compared to Ajah. The price from Ajah to VI is almost 1k if not more now. But from Yanuworu or Surulere, you'll spend less.

As for the building, brother, be calming down. Settle your rent issues, then, settle down. Dem nor dey finish house once if the money never dey. You can always finish d house.

At 29yrs, if you settle down, it's not bad. After renting your house, furnishing it will take some time. Furnish your rented apartment and settle down. Don't just marry a liability.

The house in the village is a project you alone should determine when to finish it. Don't allow your parents to put you under pressure. As a young man, settle down first after renting and furnishing your apartment.
Note: Don't rush into a relationship if you are not into one yet

Much love from here
Peace!

I must commend you, you're a great mind.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA / Working With A Falsified Statement Of Result For 2 Yrs / Two Senior Nigerian Lawyers Punished, SAN Title Removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.