Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,949 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims (16818 Views)

Atiku/obi Receive Warm Welcome In Lagos Despite Work Day / Elect Me As President, I Will Not Take 6 Months Before Naming My Cabinet - Atiku / "I Will Not Take 6 Months Before Naming My Cabinet" - Atiku Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by dre11(m): 8:51pm On Oct 12, 2023
..... Or a Lot of Bribes

Since assuming office, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, the minister of interior, has made multiple commitments, especially as it concerns passport issuance and the operations of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS).

One of those commitments was the issuance of passports within two weeks of application. In a September 5 interview, Tunji-Ojo said the ministry was creating a portal on its website to enable citizens to lodge complaints and track their passport if it had yet to be issued to them in the two-week timeframe.

He said the page was being created and would be up in two weeks, and that delays traced to any officers would bring about repercussions.

“I assure you that it is not going to be business as usual. Part of what we are doing at the moment is creating a page on our website. I believe in the next two weeks it should be up. And within the next couple of days, the social media platforms will be up,” said the minister.

“What it means basically is that any Nigerian, if you apply for your passport and it goes beyond two weeks before your passport is issued to you, you can send us your enrollment number and the specific passport office. There are officers now that have been delegated to that responsibility.”

It’s been over a month, and there is no such page on either the Ministry of Interior or NIS’ website.

Passport collection time has also not been made to reflect the two-week timeframe for processing and issuance, and money is still the only language to use to be treated to an efficient process. FIJ found all this in a visit to NIS’ Alausa office on Wednesday.

Tunji-Ojo has, no doubt, recorded some success since his assumption of office. On September 7, he issued a directive to clear the 204,332 passport application backlog in immigration offices across the country in two weeks. While they were unable to meet the stipulated deadline, by the fourth week, the NIS announced that the backlog had been cleared.

“91,981 passport booklets have been collected so far. There are 112,351 others not yet collected,” they announced, urging citizens to go pick up their passports.

On Wednesday, FIJ visited the NIS Alausa office. As usual, it was crowded with people looking to register, capture data and collect passports, and although staff said the crowd was not as bad anymore, it did not make it any easier for applicants who waited under the sun for hours.

“I thought that if I came early, I’d be attended to quickly. I’ve been here since 7 am just to collect my passport. It was supposed to be ready in August, but it wasn’t until October,” one lady said, before adding that she wished she hadn’t submitted her slip.

“I would have paid somebody to fast-track the process for me, but I have already submitted my slip. It is faster if you know somebody or pay them.”

She was not wrong. I met a young man who only applied for a passport last month and was issued it yesterday. How is your passport ready? I asked, to which he replied, “I had to pay.”

“If you pay, you can get it faster. I paid N25,000, which is why I was able to pick it up in such a short time. My friend, who applied in January, only just got his. He didn’t pay.”

Two more people who spoke with FIJ and collected their passports also said they paid to fast-track the process. Those who didn’t waited months, some as long as eight months, to be issued, and when they finally arrived to pick it up, they stood long hours in a queue as preference was given to those who paid to fast-track the process.

Confirmation Slip Given to Passport Applicant on Wednesday, September 11 With Collection Date in Six Months’ Time

PASSPORT COLLECTION DATE: SIX MONTHS POST-APPLICATION

On Thursday, FIJ called NIS to inquire about the implementation of the two-week passport issuance policy. The officer who responded said that, like other Nigerians, the NIS had only heard the information.

The implementation, I’m yet to see. They say things that they want to do, and we as Nigerians are waiting to see. Already, there is a programme on ground that says that when you are doing a renewal, it’s for three weeks, and if you are doing it fresh, it’s for six weeks, and then if you are doing a change of data, it’s for three months,” he said.

“For the old process, I know. For the new process, I don’t know. We can only quote what the minister said.”

FIJ was, however, able to sight the confirmation slip of an applicant whose data was captured on Wednesday, and the collection date stipulated was six months’ time, in March 2024.

When FIJ told the officer about this, he advised the applicant to return to the immigration office and confirm. “It must have been a mistake,” he said. Fresh passports take only six weeks, and renewal takes three weeks, he repeated.

FIJ is convinced that this was not an error, as multiple other applicants who received their confirmation slip at the Alausa office on Wednesday received similar timelines.

Furthermore, FIJ called the Ministry of Interior to inquire about the two-week application turnaround time and report the six-month issuance timeline recorded at the NIS Alausa office, but the representative redirected us to the NIS for information.

https://fij.ng/article/confirmed-despite-ministers-claims-passports-still-take-6-months-to-process-in-lagos-or-a-lot-of-bribes/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by Smithkafors(m): 9:01pm On Oct 12, 2023
Propaganda does not run government…. Where is electricity,healthcare and education?…

Which policy is on ground?.

Una mind go touch ground las las.

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by Beremx(f): 9:06pm On Oct 12, 2023
Normal procedure (45k) is six months. I used six months to collect mine. If you want it sharp sharp (60-70k), it's six weeks.

God bless Nigeria grin

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by HateBigots: 9:46pm On Oct 12, 2023
grin
APC and lies

54 Likes

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by inoki247: 9:46pm On Oct 12, 2023
Lol we talk am say na PR before......

One of the thread I ask if dere is anybody that just applied and can testify to this two weeks PR till today I Neva see anybody reply my mention.....

34 Likes

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by Rebuke: 9:46pm On Oct 12, 2023
Smh. No be naija again? Those lying politicians that talk from both sides of their mouths.

95% of their claims are false.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by oluwaseunamos33(m): 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
Hmmmmmmm
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by tetralogyfallot(m): 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
Talk is very cheap.

3 Likes

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by Bliss52: 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
cool

He said back logs would be cleared in 2 weeks, and "soon" it would be delivered to your house in two weeks

94 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by Skillsnigeria: 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by pol23: 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
I’ve been waiting for fact check against the minister’s claim

2 Likes

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by tetralogyfallot(m): 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
Instead of this man to calm down and take holistic approach to tackle the causes of the delay of passport processing he's busy doing gragra and giving false information to the masses. Let your work speaks for u.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by datola: 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
Hmmm..
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by princeade86(m): 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
Na audio na.
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by TriCee: 9:47pm On Oct 12, 2023
Gradually.
But did he clear the backlogs or not??

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by kennyz247(m): 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2023
Who do this country no try ooo

Everything about this government is just lies upon lies...
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by VenExchangee: 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2023
6 months?
Well they are lots of people that are processing there own too and the workers are not robot.
I got mine wetin 2 weeks, I paid 100k. It was don by someone who knew an immigration officer.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by iCauseTrouble: 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2023
Everything about Tinubu and APC is fake

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by oluseyiforjesus(m): 9:48pm On Oct 12, 2023
What is d important of passport if u don't HV plans to travel out

3 Likes

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by jojothaiv(m): 9:49pm On Oct 12, 2023
😂😂😂

Fully expected, sebi I been tell one of my senior man last week say na brown envelope fit fast track the process him think say I dey cap. Now, they have left him behind.
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by Putinofrussia: 9:50pm On Oct 12, 2023
lol
6 months keh shocked
Even Tinubu has not spent 5 months as President talkless of the minister..

88 Likes

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by NaijaCover(m): 9:50pm On Oct 12, 2023
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by obawinner(m): 9:50pm On Oct 12, 2023
Kingsleyjonah:
I believe it's a gradual process
exactly, change is a gradual process, it takes time especially in Africa where innovation has not taken full shape.

5 Likes

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by DMerciful(m): 9:50pm On Oct 12, 2023
Who does not know that APC na scam?
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by Timoleon(m): 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2023
Nigeria can fall hands eh
Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by Obakoolex(m): 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2023
The minister only said backlog will be cleared in two weeks and he did that in 3 weeks with apology for the one week extra.

If you have any proof to dispute that then bring it forward.
kennyz247:
Who do this country no try ooo

Everything about this government is just lies upon lies...

12 Likes

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2023
Slow and steady we will get there

91 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Passports Still Take 6 Months To Process In Lagos, Despite Minister’s Claims by obawinner(m): 9:52pm On Oct 12, 2023
DMerciful:
Who does not know that APC na scam?
cleared backlogged of 220,000 passport in record time might usher in an efficient process.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Officer Transferred For Inviting Oyegun For Questioning Over Forgery / Ijaw Youth Council Plans One-million-man March Against Buhari / "Those Wishing Buhari Death Will Die Before Him" - SGF Lawal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.