Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,024 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job (31049 Views)

Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) / Is 500k Enough To Migrate To Canada Or Finland? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Jewessgratitud3: 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2023
Skyview01:

How do you know?
Have you been there?
So, all the heat ,armpit sweat, smoke and dust in Nigeria, do you think that is good weather.

Only dirty people sweat in the armpits. As for our weather, it's still far better because we are already used to it and when it gets hotter, we know how to deal with it but in Canada, when it begins to snow, you don't want to know what they face plus they spend more on heating systems and experience low battery at odd times and places as phone battery discharges fast when it gets to freezing point which is very dangerous and can lead to missing their way if they can't access Google map or a taxi app to take them to their destination. Is that what you want to compare to our favorable weather? Hian!
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2023
Joseph90452:
Visiting visa??lol
Welcome to Nairaland

Lol all you want. I know what it took for me to get that TRV
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Intrepid01(m): 8:27pm On Oct 15, 2023
It is obvious that most of the stories on Nairaland are false. Like which company in Nigeria gives a car to a staff that earns meager #500k? Do you know that for a standard organization that is truly buoyant anyone earning #500k is below an Assistant Manager level? So who offers a car as part of benefit to someone below that level?
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:29pm On Oct 15, 2023
justmondris:

500k is actually a small amount if you are a programmer in Nigerian with to 3 years experience . If it's a remote job take the job, relocate to Canada and be working for them remotely while looking for a better job in Canada. If you get a tech job in Canada, you can easily earn 2000 to 3000USD after tax monthly.

You need to look at the bigger picture and make this Canada move for the sake of your future and the future of your children. You can even relocate from Canada to US few years later.

In all you do, don't allow the fear of the unknown be the reason behind your decision. Good luck

Thanks for your sincere advice. I'm not into programming. Thing is, I want to leave NOW, and those there are advising against it. I already have my tickets and ideas, that's one thing they don't understand
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by izibili44: 8:29pm On Oct 15, 2023
My brother waka.
PoliteActivist:
I already have my plane tickets o, and been planning my life in Canada oo!
Didn't think I'd actually land the job at all! 500K a month plus housing, car, health and life insurance benefits.
Why is life always like this??!! In serious dilemma what to do
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by elbulk(m): 8:32pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Didn't think I'd actually land the job at all! 500K a month plus housing, car, health and life insurance benefits.
Do this job for a while and save as much as you can since you already have a visa. Even if you have a place to stay, you need a good amount to keep yourself out there.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:34pm On Oct 15, 2023
gammarays:

Let me give you an advice

Stay back in Nigeria for 6 months to 1 year. This period will help you accumulate relevant job experience with your present employer. Use the opportunity to look for a related job in Canada which you can apply for.

Make sure you get a job offer first before relocating properly so it'll be easier for you to settle down. No use visit Visa get hope.

Prepare yourself well before relocating.

Thanks. Almost same advice from my folks there. But I have PLANE TICKET and I have itchy feet and ideas. Not sure they grasp that

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by MT: 8:35pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Thanks a lot. I know what I SHOULD do. Problem is I already have my ticket and my feet are really itchy and my head saturated with certain dreams. So it is really a dilemma my brother

I don't see a dilemma here. Your type of visa wont allow you to do the kind of job you seek. If you go to Canada on the basis of that visa, you wont be employed in tech.

You need to be REALISTIC in order not to lose all. When I say all, I mean being stuck in Canada illegally AND not being able to practice your craft.

This is the time NOT to allow your emotion to be ahead of your rational thinking. Stop listening to individuals whose experience of plane is by just seeing it flying in the sky. It is your life, handle it well.

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:39pm On Oct 15, 2023
chaiks:
Go to Canada. That is the best option. You have a tech skill which is highly needed in Canada already. 500k is nothing and the stability of that job in Nigeria is not guaranteed. In Canada, even if you don't have a job already, you will do certification and land a good tech job while doing some menial jobs to sustain yourself for a start(assuming you don't have job already in Canada). Most importantly, as years goes by, you get PR and eventual citizenship. What is more than that?

Problem is, my folks in Canada advise delay unless I want to "struggle", "hustle", "suffer". Me, I want to go now, but I don't want to struggle and I hate cold. But I want to travel with these tickets
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Santa2: 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Those their advise I get PR first - not sure how sincere the advice though

OP how old are? WHat Tech skills do you have? Are you skilled in a certain stack? I ask all these questions because they would be input into my advisa. Let say you are young(under 30) and are in junior/intermediate level in tech skills then I would say this... You have visit visa, use it to VISIT canada come back and continue your job while you use the savings from the job(based on the fact you said it comes with housing and other benefits) to plot a more permanent route to visa. Based on the assumption you are under 30 , write IELTS and get in the Pool for Express entry, while applying for schools for further studies. Use your job and save for plan for relocation. Its not a race but a maraton, How you relocate is very important, going and doing all those under the table jobs and not having right to work can put kill your canadian dream. PLAN WELL! PLAN WELL!!. While you are on visit visa, you can make trips to canada and connect with companies that can sponsor you. They allow it for now, though I do no think this would last for long.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by tranxo(m): 9:09pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Your village people don find work for you oo cheesy
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by ffo(m): 9:18pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I have a proper Canadian visa, a friend I can stay with, and some tech connections. That's it
Work visa? School visa? Visiting visa?
What do you mean by proper Canadian visa? Are you eligible to work legally when you get there?
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Phyde: 9:31pm On Oct 15, 2023
Wujio:
Smh. Village people and liking to cause confusion. They waited for him to finish his Canada moves by first wasting his financial reserve and then leaving him in a state of dilemma. Smh
grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 15, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

Only dirty people sweat in the armpits. As for our weather, it's still far better because we are already used to it and when it gets hotter, we know how to deal with it but in Canada, when it begins to snow, you don't want to know what they face plus they spend more on heating systems and experience low battery at odd times and places as phone battery discharges fast when it gets to freezing point which is very dangerous and can lead to missing their way if they can't access Google map or a taxi app to take them to their destination. Is that what you want to compare to our favorable weather? Hian!

I have experienced both. 12years in Canada and presently in Nigeria. The heat is honestly too much and i don't know how people sleep without an AC in Nigeria. I for sure would not be able to sleep.

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Teksocrates: 9:44pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I hear you my brother. Thing is, I don't have work permit, and from what I understand from my folks there advising me to stay in Naija it'll be a real hustle.
I also hear of people relocating back. It's a REAL dilemma! Driving me nuts!!!

You are confused and don’t really need our inputs here. Just pray for God’s guidance and mercy
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Buzx: 9:45pm On Oct 15, 2023
MT:

You can if you get a job from an LMIA- licensed company. But like I said, they are only available for jobs that companies struggle to fill with Canadians - mostly lowly paid jobs. The scheme will end by 2025

It's not easy to get a job not to talk of LMIA. That's a huge uncertainty. He's better off with this job offer in Nigeria until he gets a proper visa.

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 9:47pm On Oct 15, 2023
SIRTee15:
500k salary is too low to come with all these benefits.

It's actually going to about 1,5m after a while. Didn't mention that a reason
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 9:51pm On Oct 15, 2023
Odidigboigbo:
OP this is the best advice for you. Even when they allow you to go, they can still permit you to work remotely (From Canada) since you are good. Except you don't trust yourself, you can decide otherwise.

The only flaw in this is, my feet are really itching. You don't know what it's like when you already have the ticket and head saturated with ideas
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Buzx: 9:52pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

But I'm told I can "hustle" and also who knows who I will meet. It's really not easy on me

You'll go through hell, bro. That "hustle" is probably cash jobs. You can't keep up with that. Take the job offer in Nigeria, while you plan towards getting a proper visa.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 9:54pm On Oct 15, 2023
CaptainFM1:

Having money is everything. Having a visa is absolutely nothing. It's only in Nigerians head that visa equates to gold.

Having said that, anywhere you can get money and even more money is where you should go. Also have it in mind that travelling out doesn't mean you will make the money.

The call is just yours to take. But yes, go anywhere your money is. Even if it's Nnewi or Accra!

You know, I totally agree with you - Money. But I also love travel and hate cold
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 9:56pm On Oct 15, 2023
IamMobisola:

It’s easy!!

Since your visa is multiple try skid for 10years, it means you can travel anytime right?

Take this 500k job and work, you can take a leave from work once a year and visit Canada for holidays, use that period in Canada to look for jobs in-between. Once you get a job over there, the rest is history

You make serious sense.. But my head is already full of Canada and I already have my tickets
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 9:59pm On Oct 15, 2023
Buzx:

You'll go through hell, bro. That "hustle" is probably cash jobs. You can't keep up with that. Take the job offer in Nigeria, while you plan towards getting a proper visa.

Thanks bro. I know that's the rational thing to do. But the heart part of me wants Canada and wants it NOW
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 10:03pm On Oct 15, 2023
purehustle101:
If you already have money to sustain yourself in Canada travel if not stay put and work because sapa will finish you up in Canada. Assumption reads to depression in abroad because you will be disappointed by the people you think will help you. You dont pick money on trees abroad. Be wise

Honestly, I know you make a lot of sense. I don't have much money and I HATE cold. But I want to TRAVEL - now!
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Buzx: 10:04pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Thanks bro. I know that's the rational thing to do. But the heart part of me wants Canada and wants it NOW

Well, you can visit and see things for yourself. Just make sure find a way to keep the offer. Cheers and good luck!
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by chaiks: 10:05pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Problem is, my folks in Canada advise delay unless I want to "struggle", "hustle", "suffer". Me, I want to go now, but I don't want to struggle and I hate cold. But I want to travel with these tickets
struggle for what? I think the Canadian society offers a good opportunity than Nigeria even if you want to hustle. By the way, go now that immigration is a bit easy. By next year , it might get harder
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by CaptainFM1: 10:19pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

You know, I totally agree with you - Money. But I also love travel and hate cold

If you are asking for my experience, I will give you freely. I've travelled all the continents of this world. I can tell you for a fact that one thing is common in the world. Yes it's money.

It doesn't matter where you get it as long as it's legit. Once you get it, you can even travel to the moon or deep down the bottom of the ocean to see the relics of Titanic.

Ecclesiastes 10:19!

As for the cold, you're not the only one that hate cold. Cold and snow in particular gets in the way of everything. Even the citizens of the country where they get extreme cold and snow don't like the weather. Their super rich travels to Africa or Middle East (Dubai and co) during winter.

Again, you can see it boils down to money.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by MT: 10:27pm On Oct 15, 2023
Buzx:

It's not easy to get a job not to talk of LMIA. That's a huge uncertainty. He's better off with this job offer in Nigeria until he gets a proper visa.

I agree. I only corrected the notion that u cannot change visitor's visa to work permit in Canada. You can and I stated clearly tech jobs wont be part of LMIA and his chance is extremely low.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Anwons(m): 10:28pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

Consider your age, likely amount you are going to earn in Canada and expenses of naija(with 500k) and that of Canada.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Shaunscot(m): 11:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
You didn't say what your status will be in Canada. PR, Student, Work Permit.

That said, if it's a legal relocation here's my advise.

See if you can do the Naija job remotely and then move down.

Stay with your friend but keep earning the Naira. 500k Naira is only CAD 650 and while it won't solve much of your Canadian bills, it will help considering you have a friend providing accommodation. Do this until you can get your first Canadian job and settle down fully.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by ochukoccna: 11:26pm On Oct 15, 2023
@PoliteActivist, what's your IT field?
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by SPAMBOX7: 11:42pm On Oct 15, 2023
Since you are into tech you will be a hot cake in Canada. If I were you I would move to Canada.
500k is $500 now.
You can make times 15 of that as tech guy in Canada per month.
Multiply by your visa validity then you know wassup.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 12:44am On Oct 16, 2023
sulakishop:
Between two evils, I will try the one that I have not tried before...

I stand with Japa

Definitely. The question is now or later

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (21) (Reply)

Tree Fell On Man's Car In Ghana (photos) / Policeman Hit By Car Dies In Kaduna (Graphic Photos) / Ikorodu Lagos Boat Mishap: 4 Dead, 4 Missing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.