Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,443 members, 7,819,638 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job (31107 Views)

Relocate Or Stay In Nigeria (serious Dilemma ) / Is 500k Enough To Migrate To Canada Or Finland? / Canada Or Germany, Which Country Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Hideaki: 6:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
tensazangetsu20:

Wow since I was born I am 27 now I have never experienced steady electricity till I left Nigeria. I always thought it was like that. I am surprised.

Before the Biafran genocide, my mom worked as teacher earning 300 naira as her salary in the teacher's quarters being given to my mom by the state colonial government then with water being pumped to our house and 24/7 light

After the Biafran genocide everything went to shit

I went back to the house I grew up in ; everything was out of shape, dilapidated and pieces falling out with new tenants not maintained anymore

I won't be surprised if that house collapses one day with the tenants in them
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by otunbadan(m): 6:16pm On Oct 15, 2023
Kachidubem:

Have you been to Canada before ? Lmao

yes actually, I live there
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by DevOpsOlu: 6:19pm On Oct 15, 2023
Your "friend" may not be able to host you. Lots on Nigerians find themselves with no place to stay on arrival after friends /relatives failed to perform. Have at least 3 month of saving that can be used to pay for hotel and basic necessities.
Best wishes
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Dozzyrich(m): 6:19pm On Oct 15, 2023
My contribution just go with me please
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Omoawoke2(m): 6:22pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

You don't understand. I already have my tickets and ideas and dreams in my head. I want to japa now, but common sense and people already over there advise otherwise

I know ideas and dreams could be tempting to make a giant step.
But try to calculate carefully, 500k na small money for dollars, but it’s still a lot in Nigeria.
Reality is different from dreams and ideas oo, getting a job and settling down with visitors visa is not as easy as it sounds. I wish you all the best to make the best decisions

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Discreet90: 6:25pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
I already have my plane tickets o, and been planning my life in Canada oo!
Didn't think I'd actually land the job at all! 500K a month plus housing, car, health and life insurance benefits.
Why is life always like this??!! In serious dilemma what to do
I was have seen bank managers and even me personally was earning more than that amount before I relocated. The moment my visa came out too alot of distracting opportunities started coming up. 500k today is not up to 500dols. There are opportunities for you once you are into tech, IT or any engineering skill. Don't let your village people distract your bright Japa. Also don't listen to those who japa with their agricultural certificate or biz admin. We tech guys are doing well and in high demand. I will keep saying it that as long as you are earning below 3m a month in naija. You have no reason to say no to Japa. Naija ain't worth it right now. Imagine fueling your car with almost 50k a month from the 500k. How much is left. Rent still dey. U go won marry born pickin. Reason am well o
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Resurgent2016: 6:39pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

They graciously gave me a visiting visa, 6 months stay with 10 years expiration. Can't bear not to use it

A visitor visa by design is not intended for work by the issuers. There is a fair chance you will find it harder to get a job because of this though you have an in-demand profession.

It is probably better you keep the Nigerian job while looking for opportunities with the visa.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Jewessgratitud3: 6:42pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I'm surprised someone in Nigeria saying this. Only those already over there talk like this. From what I hear I know it's not as easy and straightforward as we think. Still, to be honest, my head is full of Canada

If I no dey, I no get people there?

Tax and bad weather is what is killing them there
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by na2016: 6:43pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

People in the know advice otherwise, plus I hate cold... but my heart is in Canada

Did you read other's response??
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by YourGFsnatcher: 6:49pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Didn't think I'd actually land the job at all! 500K a month plus housing, car, health and life insurance benefits.

If you know what's good for you take that 500k job. It's wayyyyyy a better option for you. Trust me, the Canada of today is a nightmare. There's mass emigration from Canada because thier economy is crumbling. Stay n build yourself here

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by alyarmouk(m): 6:54pm On Oct 15, 2023
Stay Nigeria. Surely one chance go locate you someday
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Deoboss(m): 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2023
Many people think going to Canada is the best option, check video below. Make your research very very well as Canada favours just some while the country does not Favour several others.

The weather is not friendly at all and cost of living is some thing else. Canada is not the best country to relocate to. I lived in Germany a bit back in the days. Just the language barrier if not Germany is a better country to relocate to plus Luxembourg.

I have 3 friends that regret travelling to Canada so much that 2 of them relocated to USA which they said is by far better while the 3rd is back in Nigeria after his visa expired and did not bother to be PR (Permanent Residency)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vXjQHNfiW8?si=c7S18Abq57bxGkfE
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by cyberguy72(m): 7:03pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Just go to YouTube and watch videos on why immigrants are leaving Canada in large numbers..it wud help u make ur mind.

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by otunbadan(m): 7:21pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

My brother, I wish I can just somehow get a quick glimpse into the future. It's not easy

You ma self are asking online warriors with different opinions and u are giving the details in a flash ....
1. If its visitor visa, don't come ... use you job hold body first .... if you have visitors visa, visit and go back , (its out of the ordinary to have visitor's visa changed to any other type)

2. If its student visa, hold enough money for up keep because finding a job is not easy ( but if na weather you go find, you will, but depending on the time and skill set, but u most find job but i will take a while)

3. If any of the above is still in doubt in terms of resources available, better don't come

BUT IT WON"T CHANGE THE FACT THAT DOLLAR WILL HIT 2K FASTER THAN WE THOUGHT AND THAT ALONE, together with Nigeria being Nigeria,

CANADA IS A FAR BETTER PLACE IF YOU READY TO START LOW AND build ooo !!!

NO bodies father kept land for his to just come and inherit in Canada
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by ecdcyber: 7:25pm On Oct 15, 2023
You are on visitor visa!!! DO NOT try to come to Canada, you cannot do anything! Please embrace your job in Nigeria, save money and plan to come to Canada either as pr or study
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 15, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:

If I no dey, I no get people there?

Tax and bad weather is what is killing them there

How do you know?
Have you been there?
So, all the heat ,armpit sweat, smoke and dust in Nigeria, do you think that is good weather.

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by exnovio(m): 7:31pm On Oct 15, 2023
I will advise you to accept the job in Nigeria with both hands,even traveling to Canadá on tourist visa it doesn’t guarantee you job immediately,it will take you some years to get the work and residence permit,well the choice is yours.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by myrates: 7:33pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:
Canada, no dulling.....
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by Pharaohny: 7:49pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I have a proper Canadian visa, a friend I can stay with, and some tech connections. That's it

better japa before that your $490.19 dollar turn something else

i wonder how this is a dilemma there are no even basis for comprism
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by janda1: 7:51pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

I don't have work permit. It'll be a hustle at first, I don't kid myself. Honestly, I'm leaning towards a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Brother move out don't stay in Nigeria

You are going for visiting visa and it's 10yrs

If you start working on side hustle, you can negotiate with your boss for hand to hand cash to avoid the tax deduction or open a bank dollar account here in Nigeria before moving so that they can pay you into the account to avold the tax deduction

If you get sack in Nigeria, there is no more job for you but if you get sack in Canada you will go outside and work till you get a new job

Boss use your head 500k is $500, for side hustle job you will get if you are serious and ready to work you can earn more than $3000-4000 monthly for side hustle job without you paying tax , if you can pack shift wella

You can now use that money to invest in Nigeria in real estate in Lagos be wise boss

Nigeria is getting worst every day

I wish I was in your opportunity, I will not even think twice, I will move out because you have family there that can get you side hustle job before arriving

If it's kitchen job take it and hustle your life up

Kitchen job would earn you more money than 500k in a month
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 7:54pm On Oct 15, 2023
MT:

I see that you keep hammering on the bolded. You only have a 10 year multiple VISITOR's visa. Canada recently announced you could get an LMIA job permit with it. This will end in 2025.

LMIA is not easy to get and they are mostly lowly paid job. Tech won't be part of LMIA as you such resource can easily be got from Canadians and PR holder.

You cant be using visitors visa like you are a PR holder. You can be leaving Canada every six months and reenter again. The immigration won't let you in again at some points.

Think carefully on your next move so as not to ruin everything.

Thanks a lot. I know what I SHOULD do. Problem is I already have my ticket and my feet are really itchy and my head saturated with certain dreams. So it is really a dilemma my brother
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 7:57pm On Oct 15, 2023
fxexperts:
Baba don't follow this advice. use your tongue to count your teeth. N500K is just $500 for a whole month. something your can earn in less than 3 days there in Canada doing menial jobs. I currently earn far above that amount here in Nigeria. i trust me i have been leaving from hand to mouth. N1M is not enough to take care of a family with 3 kids in this present Nigeria. and trust me it will only get worse. Am Japa to Canada anytime soon.

My calculations also. Problem is, those already in Canada don't see it that way. I don't know what they see that sour them - maybe too much debt or racism or cold or they're just not being honest
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:01pm On Oct 15, 2023
tioyoung:
No job security In Jobs inside Nigeria
Especially if its a private establishment.
Lemme rest assure u that
Ur services in that tech firm will not exceed 5years
After which u might be sacked.
Or asked to move on cause economy ain't friendly.
So I will suggest u travel ooo
500k u earn in a month while in Nigeria
U will make *4 of that while in Canada.
So bro use ur head.
Travel abroad double ur hustle
Make some cool millions then come back home and invest

Oh, even 2 years is more than enough for me. The thing, I already have my ticket and I want to travel NOW, which those there advise agsinst
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by fisherboy: 8:01pm On Oct 15, 2023
Hmmm you are a dreamer a new employee in Nigeria tell his employer condition to work
AchrafHakimi:

Take the job and STILL relocate to Canada.
Work remotely from there since its a tech role.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:05pm On Oct 15, 2023
atiku4President:
What's 500k? Think about the value of your life here. The nepotism, the celebrity of mediocrity, the toxicity of work place that can be a springboard for mental health issues

500K is something here o. I'd have a driver and a cook, I'll be a big shot. In Canada... well, in Canada who knows, I can also hit a jackpot despite their cautions
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:07pm On Oct 15, 2023
FrancisDiote:

If You have a skill then You can proceed to Canadá else take this job.

Those their advise I get PR first - not sure how sincere the advice though
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by janda1: 8:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
Boss last advice for you if you don't move out

The vio might not allowed you to again if you want reapply to visit Canada again, so many people and I wish they could have what was given to you

Don't think about the driver and cook you have

You can land better tech job in Canada that can pay you 100k dollars a year and use that to get a work permit

Boss be wise o
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by RapportNaija(m): 8:12pm On Oct 15, 2023
You'll stay back in Nigeria because of 500 USD? What's wrong with you?

Tech oh, tech that could pay you $3,000-10,000 pee month remotely - just because you're based in Canada!

Omo!
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by RapportNaija(m): 8:14pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

500K is something here o. I'd have a driver and a cook, I'll be a big shot. In Canada... well, in Canada who knows, I can also hit a jackpot despite their cautions

500k is something? Who be this one?

Same 500k with cook and driver?

Add that to other bills and all...so what will be your savings in 1 year? Na Ekitie village u won dey live?

Hehe! Be like na fiction be this, can't believe someone who hustled a Canada visa will want to stay back for 500k ($500) job!

Liar! Lol

1 Like

Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:16pm On Oct 15, 2023
MT:

You wholly reflect NAIVETY

That's also part of my dream to be honest. How is it naive?
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by directonpc(m): 8:17pm On Oct 15, 2023
PoliteActivist:

But those in the know say I need PR or it's menial "hustle". I'm "upper class" here and cold makes me sick. Why can't things be simple for ONCE?!
If the visa you're going with allows you to work (it's not a tourist visa) you should be able to work tech hubs if you already have the skills and experience.
Re: My Dilemma: Canada Or 500K Tech Job by PoliteActivist: 8:19pm On Oct 15, 2023
kayceelawrence:
My one Kobo advice is very simple... Postpone ur trip to Canada by 6months .... During that six months u can work with this company here in Nigeria. Learn from them n evaluate if it's worth staying back for... 500k plus housing car and health is very nice ooo. Things are not as green on the other side. If after six months u feel Canada is better then u can relocate since ur visa is ten years ... For the main time what part of tech did u study

Good sensible advice, I know. Thing is, my feet are seriously itching. You don't know what it's like when you already have your tickets and dreams and ideas in your head

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (21) (Reply)

Panic As Explosion Rocks Ibadan / Nigerian Travellers Squeezed As Foreign Airlines Stop Ticket Sales In Naira / Aerial Photos of some areas in Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.