Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,600 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? (909 Views)

Do We Really Need God As Humans? / As Humans, We're Programmed To Be "Logical" In Our Thinking. / Do Angels Appear As Humans? My Recent Experience In A Roadside Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by LordReed(m): 12:24pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

...or that since you couldn't address my response to you, you brought this angle as your classic withdrawal measures.

Else, I cannot see how objectivity is established exclusive to observers.

By the way do you know what is purtanism?

Right. So you are advocating a solipsistic position. That's fine and I told you I don't argue with solipsistic positions, it's pointless imo.

No I don't know what purtanism is.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by triplechoice(m): 12:26pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Very well, even though I'm surprised you're asking this.

Example: Dangote cement is agreed to be a cement product with distinct quantity and quality. Left to erstwhile definitions, that product is Objectively Dangote Cement.

Why? Because of its quantity and quality (compositions, branding etc). This is the yardstick for establishing a global on the objectivity of Dangote Cement.

Not going too far, if I can't see the qualities (because I am visually impaired), I am not able to join the group of those who say Dangote Cement is objectively Dangote Cement. My handicap prevents me from that agreement.

Since no two people are alike psycho-biologically, it means we can possible never observe anything the same way. This is more true given the fact that even what we thought were seeing isn't entirely what is there to see, for us to delimit the bounds of its reality and existence.

So we merely agree to work with what we are and have for the sake of 'peace' and order to reign. We can't kill ourselves...

If i stated what you quoted here, this must be a mistake. I must have meant "perception is influenced by subjective dynamics" or so. This is in line with even my original argument from the beginning.

Look at the attached image, it is the same spider we all thought we objectively agreed is a spider. If you send someone this image and say it's a spider, they may beg to differ

It's not through the mere agreement of the non visually impaired that has determined the quality of dangote cement ,but through an objective scientific process called quality control used in testing the products before it's released to the market .

So whether you can see the cement with your eyes or not doesn't count for anything . You only confirmed the quality ,that's already established , when you use it.

The product has been independently confirmed to be of a particular kind of quality . It has nothing to do with any kind of subjective collective agreement .

You "re creating confusion @ cheiveboy . You op doesn't agree with what you "re saying after it.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 12:28pm On Oct 21, 2023
LordReed:

Right. So you are advocating a solipsistic position. That's fine and I told you I don't argue with solipsistic positions, it's pointless imo.

Fine.

No I don't know what purtanism is.

Good. This is me declaring the objectivity of whatever purtanism is. Cheers!
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 12:30pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

The word "puritanism" does not exist.
It has no shape or Color, It's just a symbol representing something.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 12:31pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

The word "puritanism" does not exist.
It has no shape or Color.

LoL tell us more cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 12:32pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

LoL tell us more cheesy cheesy cheesy

The “name” for anything is an abstract concept. wink
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 12:36pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

The “name” for anything is an abstract concept. wink

..which is further agreed and accepted by the users and mentioners of that name to form an object or instance of objectivity wink
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 12:37pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

..which is further agreed and accepted by the users and mentioners of that name to form an object or instance of objectivity wink
Exactly, so, The word "puritanism" does not exist.

Who are the users and mentioners? wink
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 12:39pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

Exactly, so, The word "puritanism" does not exist.

Who are the users and mentioners? wink

Those who will later decide to name one thing or the other "puritanism". This can be an invention or a future-occurring concept.

The catch: one or more persons must decide a level of objectivity. This is what my friend here fail to see.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 12:41pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Those who will later decide to name one thing or the other "puritanism". This can be an invention or a future-occurring concept.
The word "puritanism" is already used as a symbol for some people representing something, it's here already.

The future does not exist, there's only Now.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 12:42pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

The catch: one or more persons must decide a level of objectivity. This is what my friend here fail to see.
The persons will use their subjectivity to decide the objectivity.
Subjectivity implies Objectivity, and vice versa.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 12:46pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

The persons will use their subjectivity to decide the objectivity.
Subjectivity implies Objectivity, and vice versa.

Okay, I will insult you small grin

This is the first time you have really showed us you have 'number 6'. Impressive!

Lordreed, triplechoice

The stone the builders have rejected o... cheesy
Mayman has cracked the code for you guys.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

This is the first time you have really showed us you have 'number 6'. Impressive!

Lordreed, triplechoice

The joke is on you, you are in prison and you THINK you are free.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 12:47pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

The word "puritanism" is already used as a symbol for some people representing something, it's here already.

The future does not exist, there's only Now.

It's "purtanism" not 'puritanism', check well.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 12:49pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

It's "purtanism" not 'puritanism', check well.
They are symbols representing something. Your mind already knows what I was saying, you are not your mind wink
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by triplechoice(m): 12:49pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Ah, and I will really love to hear your views on the yardsticks aused to determine Objectivity. I will do this popcorn in hand.

Cc lordreed.

Anyone,who handles, without any form of protection , a high tension cable carrying electricity, will surely be electrocuted .Not "agreeing "won't save you .

I have just given you something to work with to get your answer yourself .
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 12:50pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

The joke is on you, you are in prison and you THINK you are free.

Like seriously you got it spot on. I am not joking.

People use their eyes, ears, noses, skins and brains to perceive whatever is branded as 'Objective'.

Their eyes, ears, noses, etc are all subjective paraphernalia.

So I am not actually kidding you, I meant you are right.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 12:51pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Like seriously you got it spot on. I am not joking.

People use their eyes, ears, noses, skins and brains to perceive whatever is branded as 'Objective'.

Their eyes, ears, noses, etc are all subjective paraphernalia.

So I am not actually kidding you, I meant you are right.
Boy, you need, eyes, ears, noses, skins and brains to perceive REALITY, without it you cannot.

Close your eyes and think of a color that has not existed before...
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by triplechoice(m): 12:53pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Lordreed, triplechoice

Are you sure you understand what he explained ?
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by triplechoice(m): 12:56pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

Boy, you need, eyes, ears, noses, skins and brains to perceive REALITY, without it you cannot.

Close your eyes and think of a color that has not existed before...

@cheiveboy. See what I mean? . You failed to grasp what he meant the first time
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 12:58pm On Oct 21, 2023
triplechoice:

Anyone,who handles, without any form of protection , a high tension cable carrying electricity, will surely be electrocuted .Not "agreeing "won't save you .

I have just given you something to work with to get your answer yourself .

Agreed, the drift (a very big one) is: this electrocution measured let's say in 50kw will register and be experienced differently relative to body-mass, bio-electric state of the cells, etc.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by triplechoice(m): 1:07pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Agreed, the drift (a very big one) is: this electrocution measured let's say in 50kw will register and be experienced differently relative to body-mass, bio-electric state of the cells, etc.
The difference is not the relevant thing here but the fact that anyone who handles it has an experience of it as proof of it's existence .
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 1:09pm On Oct 21, 2023
triplechoice:

@cheiveboy. See what I mean? . You failed to grasp what he meant the first time

Actually he reenforced my opinion that all what we label as objective is merely a collective agreement to label them so even though they actually are not objective in the very intent of the word and the truer state (visual, auditory, etc).

I just did an experiment on Lordreed with "purtanism" which isn't anything that we agreed is named so. It proves that a collection of subjectives needs to make an "aproval" and "acceptance" for anything to be objective

Now, when we perceive colors, visually we are not seeing the entirety of the color spectrum (thanks to the limits of our visual range), but to move on with life, we simply accept that the range of green our eyes see is the objective green. This buttress my initial hypothesis that " objectivity is merely an agreement to accept that objectivity" (though not true).

So objectivity relies on the subjective which often isn't perfect as in the case of zooming into a spider to see it eyes as earlier attached.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 1:13pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Now, when we perceive colors, visually we are not seeing the entirety of the color spectrum (thanks to the limits of our visual range), but to move on with life, we simply accept that the range of green our eyes see is the objective green.
Without eyes, there will be no light or darkness and the spectrum of colors.
Without eyes, sun will not be light.
Without eardrums there will no sound.

You are mixing Eckankar tales with science, I'd advise you do your research beyond Eckankar and go to the East where it was taken from.

What's the origin of "Aum", it's better you listen to it than shout it, guess they didn't teach you that.

You need your 5 SENSES to perceive Reality, this is reality, there's no other one.

1 Like

Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 1:17pm On Oct 21, 2023
triplechoice:
The difference is not the relevant thing here but the fact that anyone who handles it has an experience of it as proof of it's existence .

Were not arguing existence, were talking of objectivity.

Objectivity as defined talks about being true regardless of the subjective.

My argument is: if so, nothing is objective because as far as a human is concerned, he must use his senses (relative to it's well being, worldview etc) to perceive the so-called objective.

This leaves us with no generally exact result of perception and experiencing but an agreement to label something as objective.

This is what we did with legal tenders.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 1:18pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

You are mixing Eckankar tales with science, I'd advise you do your research beyond Eckankar and go to the East where it was taken from.

What's the origin of "Aum", it's better you listen to it than shout it, guess they didn't teach you that.

You need your 5 SENSES to perceive Reality, this is reality, there's no other one.

Lol, it comes and goes at will ni? grin
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 1:20pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Lol, it comes and goes at will ni? grin
You're in prison and you THINK you are free.
Your one answer will lead to thousands of other questions, vicious circle of a fool wink
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by chieveboy(m): 1:20pm On Oct 21, 2023
Maynman:

Interesting. Have you heard about the eyes not actually what is used to 'see'?
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 1:21pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Interesting. @ triplechoice
A blind man has not seen darkness and light before, and no matter the symbols and concept you use, he will never understand it, you know why?
He is missing an Organ.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by Maynman: 1:22pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy:

Interesting. Have you heard about the eyes not actually what is used to 'see'?
What sees if not eyes?
Saying "my eyes are seeing" is waste of words.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by LordReed(m): 2:33pm On Oct 21, 2023
chieveboy poft 99ooo6oIst=126532678:

Fine.

Yeah whatever purtanism is, if it exists then its existence is objective. We can say this about anything we are yet to discover. It's not the gotcha you think it is.
Re: Are We Capable Of Objective Perception As Humans? by orisa37: 8:30am On Oct 22, 2023
NO.
GOD CREATED US SELFISH THAT WE MAY SEEK HIM AND HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS THROUGH CHRIST JESUS.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Food For Thought / Who Is Your Favorite Gospel Singer? / Proof Google Is God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.