Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,946 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga (28900 Views)

Alex Otti Laments Naira Free Fall, Says FG Printed Too Much Money / No Light @ Alh. Haruna, Itaji, Williams Aganga Streets, Since Sept., 23rd, 2019 / FFK Questions Why Naira And Army Coat Of Arms Have Arabic Inscriptions On Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by treesun: 11:06am On Oct 20, 2023
A former Minister of Finance, Olusegun Aganga, has explained that the naira would continue to be weak if the country remains an import-dependent country.

Aganga speaking on Thursday at the 3rd Adeola Odutola lecture, during the 51st Annual General Meeting of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria on Thurday said Nigeria must produce for local consumption and more importantly for export, for the naira to be strong.

The PUNCH reports that the local currency fell from about 450/dollar to an average of 760/dollar following the exchange reforms of President Bola Tinubu.

The local currency plunged to 1045/dollar on Thursday at the parallel market.

But Aganga speaking on the free fall naira said, “What is the wisdom in spending billions defending the naira when it continues to fall instead of investing in genuine manufacturers and exporters of high-value products that would earn Nigeria foreign income and more.

The former Minister charged the government to declare the industrial sector a national priority sector and back it with plans, policies, and money.

Unlike the trillions spent on subsidies, bailouts, the Agric Anchor Borrowers Programme, the refineries, I can assure you that every naira, no matter how large, that is well spent on the strategic industrial sectors can be easily recovered and will deliver tremendous benefits to the economy and the nation,” he said.

https://punchng.com/why-naira-is-in-free-fall-ex-minister-aganga/

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by joinnow: 11:42am On Oct 20, 2023
treesun:
A former Minister of Finance, Olusegun Aganga, has explained that the naira would continue to be weak if the country remains an import-dependent country.

Aganga speaking on Thursday at the 3rd Adeola Odutola lecture, during the 51st Annual General Meeting of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria on Thurday said Nigeria must produce for local consumption and more importantly for export, for the naira to be strong.

The PUNCH reports that the local currency fell from about 450/dollar to an average of 760/dollar following the exchange reforms of President Bola Tinubu.

But Aganga speaking on the free fall naira said, “What is the wisdom in spending billions defending the naira when it continues to fall instead of investing in genuine manufacturers and exporters of high-value products that would earn Nigeria foreign income and more.”

The former Minister charged the government to declare the industrial sector a national priority sector and back it with plans, policies, and money.

“Unlike the trillions spent on subsidies, bailouts, the Agric Anchor Borrowers Programme, the refineries, I can assure you that every naira, no matter how large, that is well spent on the strategic industrial sectors can be easily recovered and will deliver tremendous benefits to the economy and the nation,” he said.

All eyes on Oil

16 Likes

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by tuborme: 11:43am On Oct 20, 2023
It is called production… Peter Obi gave you the solution but you won’t hear!

288 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by kenny714433(m): 11:47am On Oct 20, 2023
That's not even the problem. Imagine sinking all the money into failed industries that have large holes punctured by corruption.

Didn't Buhari swear to complete Ajekuta steel and Refineries? Wasn't millions sunk into the failed project?

Is Tinubu doing anything different?

When we complained about endemic corruption you called us Ipob. Now, they will give me a state in SE because I don't support the inept Tinubu.

Hate him or not, PO would have drastically reduced corruption in most sector of this country.

243 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Okoroawusa: 12:04pm On Oct 20, 2023
kenny714433:
That's not even the problem. Imagine sinking all the money into failed industries that have large holes punctured by corruption.

Didn't Buhari swear to complete Ajekuta steel and Refineries? Wasn't millions sunk into the failed project?

When we complained about endemic corruption you called us Ipob. Now, they will give me a state in SE because I don't support the inept Tinubu.

Hate him or not, PO would have drastically reduced corruption in most sector of this country.
Where has he done it before? With what pedigree? This is not about emotional or reverential support.
An importer can't be telling me that he wants to move to production and I will not ask him what he has produced before... think am nah!

158 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Adabestseason(m): 12:14pm On Oct 20, 2023
Useless talk after finishing your own,you assisted Goodluck to fail,even with so-called inter/transnational experiences

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by kenny714433(m): 12:20pm On Oct 20, 2023
Okoroawusa:

Where has he done it before? With what pedigree? This is not about emotional or reverential support.
An importer can't be telling me that he wants to move to production and I will not ask him what he has produced before... think am nah!

Keep the production aspect aside, let's discuss the point I raised earlier. Ask yourself, why are the industries not working despite all the money being sunk into them...

As a successful business owner, won't it be to look at the statistics available and make useful comparison to arrive at a reasonable conclusion? When PO was busy spitting fact and quoting data, didn't your Asiwaju ask Na statistics we go chop?

The very reason he came back and did exactly the same thing that others did and he's expecting a different result.

Look at PO records, corruption and government wastefulness would have significantly reduced.

If corruption is drastically reduced, don't you think all these government industries will start functioning?

178 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by seunmsg(m): 12:43pm On Oct 20, 2023
We don’t have the forex to defend the Naira quite alright but Nigerians are not helping matters. We have a dollar shortage crisis and Nigerians are busy stockpiling dollars at any amount simply for speculative reasons. What is going on is really scary.

We may hit 2k for a dollar before the end of the year with the way things are going. CBN needs to go back to the crude method adopted by Emefiele. Whatever it is they are doing with the PH and Dangote refineries, they should please hurry it up and start production. There will be a huge rally for the Naira once we stop importation of petroleum products. These are the short term measures to stop the free fall. Manufacturing what we need in Nigeria and for export is a long term solution.

144 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by PYTHONTUTOR1(m): 1:01pm On Oct 20, 2023
Wahala embarassed
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by treesun: 1:30pm On Oct 20, 2023
Nlfpmod!
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by PDPdestroyer(m): 1:32pm On Oct 20, 2023
tuborme:
Can you mention how he was able to do this as Anambra State governor?

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by jaytimeo: 1:39pm On Oct 20, 2023
Not everyone that’s a minister or having a phd means you get sense .

It’s a simple trick mismanagement and corruption alone can hold the naira against the dollar now add lack of integrity.

How do you explain to someone how much is used to run government in Nigeria.

How much do senators and reps members cost government? Why are they creating new MDAS ,how do you pay for foreign trips and some ministries buy 2022 ,2023 model of cars how do you pay for all these? It’s usd.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by LikeAking: 1:48pm On Oct 20, 2023
Nonsense!

Many other countries of the world depend on imports and they still do well.. Kindly check our Arab and North African brothers.

It’s all about management..

U no sabi, u no sabi, no be too talk, experience or degree..

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Ventura1: 1:52pm On Oct 20, 2023
You mean solely on import?
LikeAking:
Nonsense!

Many other countries of the world depend on imports and they still do well.. Kindly check our Arab and North African brothers.

4 Likes

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by LikeAking: 2:01pm On Oct 20, 2023
Ventura1:
You mean solely on import?

No solely on imports to earn FX…

They even import more than us..

Apart from fuel imports, our imports is even very small compared to some nations doing very well..

We produce over 95% of the food we eat.

Some nations even import sand and 80% of what they eat..

We also import things other nations import at a considerate number.. (Apart from power generating sets)

The major problem is corruption, miss management and an unregulated importation system..

Also add over demand for foreign services like, education, medically, vacation, etc..

Nigerian that will use one car and TV for 20 years. Wia the money to buy imported goods..

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by FreeStuffsNG: 2:02pm On Oct 20, 2023
Talk is cheap o. For someone like him who had the opportunity to implement all he has said but never did so then it's cheap talk. Check my signature for free stuffs!

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by LikeAking: 2:06pm On Oct 20, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Talk is cheap o

I have told you to focus on developing ya free stuffs website (Your future), instead of thinking how to develop P Tinubus future..

If you exact the time and energy you spend on Tinubu matter on ya free stuffs website, by now you go don make am..

Think am..

Focus on ya self, leave Pa Tinubu to fight for him self..

The poor always help the poor build their future and forget to build theirs..

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Okoroawusa: 2:09pm On Oct 20, 2023
kenny714433:

Keep the production aspect aside, let's discuss the point I raised earlier. Ask yourself, why are the industries not working despite all the money being sunk into them...

As a successful business owner, won't it be to look at the statistics available and make useful comparison to arrive at a reasonable conclusion? When PO was busy spitting fact and quoting data, didn't your Asiwaju ask Na statistics we go chop?

The very reason he came back and did exactly the same thing that others did and he's expecting a different result.

Look at PO records, corruption and government wastefulness would have significantly reduced.

If corruption is drastically reduced, don't you think all these government industries will start functioning?
Anakogheri

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:22pm On Oct 20, 2023
tuborme:

Production will involve pumping billions of dollars into the poorer class of the country. It is only these kind of people that can get the work done.

This corrupt Government will not want to do. They will keep pumping the money to politicians and billionaire business men.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by successmatters(m): 3:23pm On Oct 20, 2023
Okoroawusa:

Hate will not kill you my brother.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by successmatters(m): 3:26pm On Oct 20, 2023
LikeAking:
Nonsense!

Gbam

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 3:33pm On Oct 20, 2023
treesun:

But Aganga speaking on the free fall naira said, “What is the wisdom in spending billions defending the naira when it continues to fall instead of investing in genuine manufacturers and exporters of high-value products that would earn Nigeria foreign income and more.”

“Unlike the trillions spent on subsidies, bailouts, the Agric Anchor Borrowers Programme, the refineries, I can assure you that every naira, no matter how large, that is well spent on the strategic industrial sectors can be easily recovered and will deliver tremendous benefits to the economy and the nation,” he said

This is exactly what Tinubu's government is trying to do and some people are bent on frustrating him.
Some Nigerians are addicted to instant gratification, they only care about the benefits they can get now, not a week, a month or a year from now.

4 Likes

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by successmatters(m): 3:34pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:

This is exactly what Tinubu's government is trying to do and some people are bent on frustrating him.

Lies will not kill you my brother, everything the drug baron has been wearing, driving and eating has come from abroad, 8mported with dollars, even the heroin.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Kingspin(m): 3:35pm On Oct 20, 2023
Nigeria governments are lazy for true governance why Naira is falling.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 3:37pm On Oct 20, 2023
successmatters:

Lies will not kill you my brother, everything the drug baron has been wearing, driving and eating has come from abroad, 8mported with dollars, even the heroin.

With all due respect you are talking nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by successmatters(m): 3:39pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:

With all due respect you are talking nonsense.

Prove it, are they manufacturing heroin at Agbara industrial estate? grin

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Timothy89(m): 3:39pm On Oct 20, 2023
Naira continues fall because we are a consuming country than producing country

abeg since discovery of oil what has Nigeria export? discovery of oil make our leaders to be lazy, no innovation, just stay in abuja attend FEC meeting, share allocation then follow months same traits

no agricultural exports, rubbers among others because their reliance on crude oil won't made them think outside of the box

chop make I chop governance

3 Likes

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by successmatters(m): 3:41pm On Oct 20, 2023
Timothy89:

abeg since discovery of oil what has Nigeria export? discovery of oil make our leaders to be lazy, no innovation, just stay in abuja attend FEC meeting, share allocation then follow months same traits

no agricultural exports, rubbers among others because their reliance on crude oil won't made them think outside of the box

So, does it mean OBJ and Jonathan government had more local production? Why wasn't the dollar on a free fall then?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 3:42pm On Oct 20, 2023
Timothy89:

You are right. Now we have a government who recognizes the problem and is working hard to fix them.
The reforms are by no means easy and comes with some initial pains but it will eventually put Nigeria on the right track.

2 Likes

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by MadamExcellency: 3:44pm On Oct 20, 2023
Even the USA is import-dependent. Let's stop all these lies. This is a matter of trust. Nobody trust the naira. During the currency swap, even Abokis refused to buy dollar with physical cash (Naira). If you no gree transfer, they were not buying.

Let's stop using Naira and switch to the dollar and see if it will fall again. Zimbabwe partially did it, and Argentina's Presidential front-runner has promised to do it if he wins.

2 Likes

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by mrvitalis(m): 3:47pm On Oct 20, 2023
kenny714433:

The problem is you don't give money from government to industries

You give loan to banks set the conditions you want and banks then give loans to people who meet those criterias

The main issue is they don't set good criteria so that they can steal the money it's that simple

For me I would disagree with the formal minister on petroleum ( we dont have comparative advantage in refinery... Our cost of producing crude is even too high to start with)

Give loans to people who have shown capabilities to produce goods we import at a price not more than the landing cost of such products that's the Koko

And

People who can produce goods we can export at a price below the international market price

This criterias are important more important than the loans even

Focus on 15 products we have comparative advantage on... There is no how we can't export $100 billion of we are serious

Garments and leather works products can give is $50 billion

Poultry alone can give us $30 billion of we allow importation of maize and soy

Don't even want to go into ethanol, pharmaceutical grade starch, glucose, fructose can be gotten from sweet potato and cassava

But Nigeria would prefer to protect

Maize and soy farming industry values at less than $3 billion... And lose poultry industry that's valued at over $500 billion

They chose to protect cotton farming over a garment industry worth over $1 trillion dollars

This are the little factors that matters

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Timothy89(m): 3:49pm On Oct 20, 2023
successmatters:

So, does it mean OBJ and Jonathan government had more local production? Why wasn't the dollar on a free fall then?

can you compare global economy now, the Crude oil price then with this time, these two people you mentioned also relied heavily on oil, if they had a foresight to make Nigeria an exports of goods country maybe their predecessors would have been following that trait by now

during OBJ era there was less or no borrowing because oil price was cool, but he couldn't take advantage of it to do something different, the only thing he achieved was settling our debts and more liquids to our external reserves

we can do better as a Country of the populated black Nation, presently I don't see any different in Tinubu Current governance and others

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Prophet Obadare Never Saw Bimbo Odukoya In Hell ---- Pastor Paul Obadare / Senators Investigating Petitions Against The Ministerial Nominees (Photos) / Oshiomhole Hands Over To Godwin Obaseki (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.