Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,477 members, 7,830,403 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga (28974 Views)

Alex Otti Laments Naira Free Fall, Says FG Printed Too Much Money / No Light @ Alh. Haruna, Itaji, Williams Aganga Streets, Since Sept., 23rd, 2019 / FFK Questions Why Naira And Army Coat Of Arms Have Arabic Inscriptions On Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Olachase(m): 5:21pm On Oct 20, 2023
kenny714433:

Keep the production aspect aside, let's discuss the point I raised earlier. Ask yourself, why are the industries not working despite all the money being sunk into them...

As a successful business owner, won't it be to look at the statistics available and make useful comparison to arrive at a reasonable conclusion? When PO was busy spitting fact and quoting data, didn't your Asiwaju ask Na statistics we go chop?

The very reason he came back and did exactly the same thing that others did and he's expecting a different result.

Look at PO records, corruption and government wastefulness would have significantly reduced.

If corruption is drastically reduced, don't you think all these government industries will start functioning?
hello Sir I don't like it when someone sound subjective, we all kw the Naira didn't stand dollar since the time of PDP, they are all doing padi padi government, Tinubu will complate his 8 years and vacate the presidential sit, someone else will take over by then we all will miss him Tinubu,

You kw what I was trying to say it has been like this since Genesis
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 6:51pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:

This is exactly what Tinubu's government is trying to do and some people are bent on frustrating him.
Some Nigerians are addicted to instant gratification, they only care about the benefits they can get now, not a week, a month or a year from now.

^^^
This isn't true.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by descarado: 7:04pm On Oct 20, 2023
Adabestseason:
Useless talk after finishing your own,you assisted Goodluck to fail,even with so-called inter/transnational experiences
Hope you are among those presently in London partying with the remaining forex.
Those that can't go to London are having wild Friday in lagos and you are here picking crumbs.
The same guys with one blokos like you.
Say no to low self esteem.

1 Like

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 7:18pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:
You are right. Now we have a government who recognizes the problem and is working hard to fix them.
The reforms are by no means easy and comes with some initial pains but it will eventually put Nigeria on the right track.

^^^

Where is this 'hard work'?

The two signature policies of this administration are clearly not working. One ('fuel subsidy' removal) has quietly been reversed but of course, no public confirmation from government officials. The other (unification of exchange rates) is turning out to be a case of 'catch the wind if you can'. So where is this 'hard work'?

Reforms? undecided Why do they only apply to ordinary Nigerians?

One of the biggest problems of this administration is its utter hypocrisy and total lack of sincerity. Ordinary Nigerians are constantly lectured by government officials to tighten their belts - but that rule clearly doesn't apply to BAT and those who work with him. Now that they are in government, people can see right through them. The Tinubu administration is incapable of leading by example and that will be its undoing. Sensible Nigerians can see what was spent on the UNGA jamboree. They can see the abuse of presidential aircraft by BAT's family members. They can see the vehicles that lawmakers have bought for themselves at a time when ordinary Nigerians can't feed. They are watching and taking notes.

Admit it: BAT has started failing hard, and once an administration starts going down that slope, there's usually no way back.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 7:24pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^

Where is this 'hard work'?

The two signature policies of this administration are clearly not working. One ('fuel subsidy' removal) has quietly been reversed but of course, no public confirmation from government officials. The other (unification of exchange rates) is turning out to be a case of catch the wind if you can. So where is this 'hard work'?

Reforms? undecided Why do they only apply to ordinary Nigerians?

One of the biggest problems of this administration is its utter hypocrisy and total lack of sincerity. Ordinary Nigerians are constantly lectured by government officials to tighten their belts - but that rule clearly doesn't apply to BAT and those who work with him. Now that they are in government people can see right through them. The Tinubu administration is incapable of leading by example and that will be its undoing. Sensible Nigerians can see what was spent on the UNGA jamboree. They can see the abuse of presidential aircraft by BAT's family members. They can see the vehicles that lawmakers have bought for themselves at a time when ordinary Nigerians can't feed. They are watching and taking notes.

Admit it: BAT has started failing hard, and once an administration starts going down that slope, there's usually no way back.

What do you know about policies and how they work?
You can start by explaining to us what you expect your ideal president to have accomplished in the four months since Tinubu became president.
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 7:25pm On Oct 20, 2023
mrvitalis:
For me I would disagree with the formal minister on petroleum ( we dont have comparative advantage in refinery... Our cost of producing crude is even too high to start with)

^^^
Your point isn't clear.

Cost of producing a barrel of crude or cost of refining a barrel of crude into various products? What numbers do you have?
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 7:29pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:
What do you know about policies and how they work?

^^^
Your question comes across as an insult but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and respond properly.

I read up as much as I can on government policy, listen to the experts and above all, look at the evidence around me. That's how I get to know about policy and how it works.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 7:32pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
Your question comes across as an insult but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and respond properly.

I read up as much as I can on government policy, listen to the experts and above all, look at the evidence around me. That's how I get to know about policy and how it works.

Once again what do you think your most competent and ideal president should have accomplished in the last four months?
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 7:43pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:

You can start by explaining to us what you expect your ideal president to have accomplished in the four months since Tinubu became president.

^^^
I live with my feet firmly planted in the real world. An 'ideal president' is a mirage, an illusion. The real world deals with flawed human beings and our job as voters and taxpayers is to hold them accountable.

I am not going to get into the fantasy of discussing what ideal presidents would or would not have done. That is a waste of valuable time. Bola Tinubu is the president today and he is the one who must be held accountable. I have already spoken about his two key policies that are unravelling before our very eyes. Those policies were very poorly executed and there's no argument about it. What was the point in that hasty, ill-advised announcement of 'fuel subsidy' removal if the same subsidy has been restored today? What was the point? undecided

The only thing left to complete this completely unneccessary sequence of avoidable BAT policy somersaults will be if this administration suddenly decides to run down external reserves to defend the currency - which will take us back to where we were during the Buhari years. undecided We are all waiting to see if that will happen.

Is the above enough 'policy' talk for you?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by mrvitalis(m): 7:45pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
Your point isn't clear.

Cost of producing a barrel of crude or cost of refining a barrel of crude into various products? What numbers do you have?
Crude is close to 100k a barrel, transportation, cost of refinery

Then you produce 65 litres of petrol, 45 litre of diesel keep around 30 the rest is almost useless

So say you spend 135k pee barrel how much would u sale?

You can't say less than 1500 a litre toake good profit

1 Like

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 7:47pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:

Once again what do you think your most competent and ideal president should have accomplished in the last four months?

^^^
There's the Oronsaye Report.

There's the Joda Report.

There's the 2014 NC Report.

Among many others.

Instead of carrying out real reform, reform that really matters - BAT chose to play to the gallery. What kind of lasting reform can you have in this country without public sector reform? But instead of taking up that challenge, the administration chose to engage in propaganda. Well, as will soon be found out, propaganda has limits.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 7:48pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
I live with my feet firmly planted in the real world. An 'ideal president' is a mirage, an illusion. The real world deals with flawed human beings and our job as voters and taxpayers is to hold them accountable.

I am not going to get into the fantasy of discussing what ideal presidents would or would not have done. That is a waste of valuable time. Bola Tinubu is the president today and he is the one who must be held accountable. I have already spoken about his two key policies that are unravelling before our very eyes. Those policies were very poorly executed and there's no argument about it. What was the point in that hasty, ill-advised announcement of 'fuel subsidy' removal if the same subsidy has been restored today? What was the point? undecided

The only thing left to complete this completely unneccessary sequence of avoidable BAT policy somersaults will be if this administration suddenly decides to run down external reserves to defend the currency - which will take us back to where we were during the Buhari years. undecided We are all waiting to see if that will happen.

Is the above enough 'policy' talk for you?

Exactly what I thought, you can't even tell us what you think this mere mortal Tinubu could have done in four months to turn Nigeria around.
I will tell you the honest answer, he is taking the steps any right thinking leader would have taken.
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by jesmond3945: 7:59pm On Oct 20, 2023
seunmsg:
We don’t have the forex to defend the Naira quite alright but Nigerians are not helping matters. We have a dollar shortage crisis and Nigerians are busy stockpiling dollars at any amount simply for speculative reasons. What is going on is really scary.

We may hit 2k for a dollar before the end of the year with the way things are going. CBN needs to go back to the crude method adopted by Emefiele. Whatever it is they are doing with the PH and Dangote refineries, they should please hurry it up and start production. There will be a huge rally for the Naira once we stop importation of petroleum products. These are the short term measures to stop the free fall. Manufacturing what we need in Nigeria and for export is a long term solution.
will dangote buy crude with naira or dollar?

1 Like

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by flokii: 8:04pm On Oct 20, 2023
This government should prioritize LOCAL MANUFACTURING above TRADE or WTO whatever.. what we need in this country is to have healthy manufacturing entities to produce what we'll be consuming locally so we can stop relying on importation.

These foreign interests only want to TRADE in our raw materials and mineral endowments, they really don't care about us industrializing. For example, they will prefer to trade in raw cocoa than trade finished made in Nigeria cocoa products like chocolates and other beverages.
This reckless act is killing Nigeria.. put INDUSTRY first before you start talking about TRADE.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by seunmsg(m): 8:06pm On Oct 20, 2023
jesmond3945:
will dangote buy crude with naira or dollar?

Since he’s going to sell in Naira, he will buy crude in Naira as well.

1 Like

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 8:11pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:
Exactly what I thought, you can't even tell us what you think this mere mortal Tinubu could have done in four months to turn Nigeria around.
I will tell you the honest answer, he is taking the steps any right thinking leader would have taken.

^^^
I responded to you in an earlier post with specifics.

Let's go there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
There's the Oronsaye Report.

There's the Joda Report.

There's the 2014 NC Report.

Among many others.

Instead of carrying out real reform, reform that really matters - BAT chose to play to the gallery. What kind of lasting reform can you have in this country without public sector reform? But instead of taking up that challenge, the administration chose to engage in propaganda. Well, as will soon be found out, propaganda has limits.

You are just regurgitating some irrelevant things here. My question is quite straightforward. What do you expect Tinubu to have accomplished since he became president? Simple.
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 8:18pm On Oct 20, 2023
mrvitalis:
Crude is close to 100k a barrel, transportation, cost of refinery

Then you produce 65 litres of petrol, 45 litre of diesel keep around 30 the rest is almost useless

So say you spend 135k pee barrel how much would u sale?

You can't say less than 1500 a litre toake good profit

^^^
Ok...I'm still not sure I understand you.

Are you trying to say that it is uneconomical for refined petroleum products to be sold at their current prices?

1 Like

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 8:21pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:
You are just regurgitating some irrelevant things here. My question is quite straightforward. What do you expect Tinubu to have accomplished since he became president? Simple.

^^^
undecided

You're not serious.

Since you have decided to be obtuse, I'll spell it out for you: I expect your principal to have implemented the recommendations of the 'irrelevant' undecided Oronsaye Report and the Joda Report among others. I hope it is clear now?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 8:29pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
undecided

You're not serious.

Since you have decided to be obtuse, I'll spell it out for you: I expect your principal to have implemented the recommendations of the 'irrelevant' undecided Oronsaye Report and the Joda Report among others. I hope it is clear now?

I will take this to mean your criticism of Tinubu is baseless. Did Tinubu commission these reports to start implementing them as soon as he got into office?
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 8:33pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:
I will take this to mean your criticism of Tinubu is baseless.

^^^
No it isn't.

ElSudani:
Did Tinubu commission these reports to start implementing them as soon as he got into office?

^^^
No he didn't commission these Reports. Your point is...?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by emmanuelbrown26: 8:36pm On Oct 20, 2023
seunmsg:
We don’t have the forex to defend the Naira quite alright but Nigerians are not helping matters. We have a dollar shortage crisis and Nigerians are busy stockpiling dollars at any amount simply for speculative reasons. What is going on is really scary.

We may hit 2k for a dollar before the end of the year with the way things are going. CBN needs to go back to the crude method adopted by Emefiele. Whatever it is they are doing with the PH and Dangote refineries, they should please hurry it up and start production. There will be a huge rally for the Naira once we stop importation of petroleum products. These are the short term measures to stop the free fall. Manufacturing what we need in Nigeria and for export is a long term solution.
So u hv d guts to mention Emefiele? Wonders of d century. Is Tinubu no longer master strategist?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by emmanuelbrown26: 8:38pm On Oct 20, 2023
LikeAking:

I have told you to focus on developing ya free stuffs website (Your future), instead of thinking how to develop P Tinubus future..

If you exact the time and energy you spend on Tinubu matter on ya free stuffs website, by now you go don make am..

Think am..

Focus on ya self, leave Pa Tinubu to fight for him self..

The poor always help the poor build their future and forget to build theirs..

Hv u ever come across any sensible Agbadorian before? They are useless and myopic in thinking

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by ElSudani: 8:38pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
No it isn't.

^^^
No he didn't commission these Reports. Your point is...?

I will find it extremely weird that Tinubu will come into office and immediately start implementing reports he didn't commission in his few months in office.
Maybe he will or not in future we don't know. But it would have been extremely odd if he did that. Did he not have his own plans?
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by mrvitalis(m): 8:49pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
Ok...I'm still not sure I understand you.

Are you trying to say that it is uneconomical for refined petroleum products to be sold at their current prices?
Yes we don't have the cooperative advantage

It's better we focus on things we have advantage like the stuffs I listed export them use the money to import petrol we would get it cheaper
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Fujiyama: 8:53pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:
I will find it extremely weird that Tinubu will come into office and immediately start implementing reports he didn't commission in his few months in office.
Maybe he will or not in future we don't know. But it would have been extremely odd if he did that.

^^^
This is a ridiculous argument and you know it. I might as well say that I find it extremely odd that Tinubu came into office and immediately announced the removal of a fuel subsidy that he didn't grant.

The Buhari administration in its usual cynical manner, cherry picked the parts of the Oronsaye Report it wanted and rejected those parts that would have had a far reaching impact on fiscal outcomes of the federal government. Instead of BAT to get to work implementing the Report and immediately cleaning up the public sector, he has remained immobile. Perversely, the BAT administration has instead created 10 new ministries and appointed the largest number of federal ministers in the history of this country - the very kind of nonsense that the Oronsaye Report advised against. undecided

You find it odd that BAT would immediately implement a Report that recommends reducing the federal government's fiscal footprint. And yet you somehow expect our budget deficits and borrowings to magically disappear if action isn't taken now? Your principal thinks he has the luxury of time? undecided This was why I said you weren't serious.

Bottomline: the BAT administration will fail because it has learnt nothing and forgotten nothing. It is going the way of its immediate predecessor - and we all know how that administration ended. While BAT didn't take 6 months to form a cabinet he has started off with the same wrong headed, woolly thinking of the Buhari years - and it is inevitable that the results will be exactly the same. Hope renewed? More like hope deferred. Those looking to this government for a solution to their economic problems should look elsewhere.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by emmanuelbrown26: 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2023
ElSudani:

Maybe he will or not in future we don't know. But it would have been extremely odd if he did that. Did he not have his own plans?
But he quickly removed subsidy on fuel, education and professional bodies?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by jesmond3945: 12:03am On Oct 21, 2023
grin just like nlng is buying with naira lol
seunmsg:

Since he’s going to sell in Naira, he will buy crude in Naira as well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by anungangampu: 12:10am On Oct 21, 2023
ElSudani:

This is exactly what Tinubu's government is trying to do and some people are bent on frustrating him.
Some Nigerians are addicted to instant gratification, they only care about the benefits they can get now, not a week, a month or a year from now.
Just shattap

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by Jallotti: 12:12am On Oct 21, 2023
After floating without parachute, Naira don Dey “free-fall”? 😲

Abi the Naira don chop too much “Ewa and Gbegeri”?🤣

Naira, make you try lose weight small, so you can float pro-pro-ly.

Muchechechecheche
Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by seunmsg(m): 6:51am On Oct 21, 2023
jesmond3945:
grin just like nlng is buying with naira lol

NLNG is not selling in Naira so there is a difference.

As regards Dangote, check the link below.
https://www.thecable.ng/pib-nigerian-refiners-to-buy-crude-oil-in-naira/amp

1 Like

Re: Why Naira Is In Free Fall – Olusegun Aganga by treesun: 8:42am On Oct 21, 2023
seunmsg:

NLNG is not selling in Naira so there is a difference.

As regards Dangote, check the link below.
https://www.thecable.ng/pib-nigerian-refiners-to-buy-crude-oil-in-naira/amp

Nlfpmod. come and see Cardoso!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Gumi's Response To Kukah's Speech At Yakowa's Funeral / El-Rufai Slaughters A Ram To Celebrate Eid In Birnin-Gwari (Photos) / El-Rufai’s Team Where Anointed Candidate Will Be Picked From Unveiled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.