Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,434 members, 7,812,292 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

How Government Policies Is Killing My Business - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Government Policies Is Killing My Business (17426 Views)

Federal Government's Stamp Duty Is Killing My Business / IMF Lists Unpopular Policies CBN Must Reverse / ”I Started My Business With N5,000, I Now Have 5 Bedroom Mansion In Lagos"- Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by rumenase(m): 2:03pm On Oct 25, 2023
richmond500:
The essence of these policies is to kill importation business and make Nigeria a production country.
Your business is not the only business that is dying, many business that depends on dollar has closed down and more will close too.

Time is coming when Naira will hit 5000 to a dollar. When this happens, foreign products will be difficult to purchase and we will have no choice but to buy made in Nigeria goods cos even a pair of foreign pants will be so expensive that only politicians can afford it while the rest of us will wear plantain leaves.

It's so annoying that the average secondary school student knows the dollar to naira exchange rate, that shows how we depend so much on the dollar and killing our own naira.
Until we patronize our own companies, we can't grow the economy, this painful stage is called the transition stage from foreign to local, the govt is not the problem but the time it takes Nigerians to accept the Nigerian goods will determine how long the pain will last.

In the next five years, we will fully accept our own economy and in the next ten years, we will have an economy that will beat France and Germany cos we have the market already.
bro life life is getting harder everyday if it continues like this for the next five years e go too bad.
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by hansomb: 2:08pm On Oct 25, 2023
There's a system Indonesia used against their currency that any fluctuations of dollars will not affect it . Sorry Malaysia.

2 Likes

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by KingOfAmebo(m): 2:12pm On Oct 25, 2023
Majesty7:

You just exhibited a very high level of ignorance. You quoted someone who is clearly way above you and you sound so stupid doing it. All these hawkers with android phones...

richmond500:
The essence of these policies is to kill importation business and make Nigeria a production country.
Your business is not the only business that is dying, many business that depends on dollar has closed down and more will close too.

Time is coming when Naira will hit 5000 to a dollar. When this happens, foreign products will be difficult to purchase and we will have no choice but to buy made in Nigeria goods cos even a pair of foreign pants will be so expensive that only politicians can afford it while the rest of us will wear plantain leaves.

It's so annoying that the average secondary school student knows the dollar to naira exchange rate, that shows how we depend so much on the dollar and killing our own naira.
Until we patronize our own companies, we can't grow the economy, this painful stage is called the transition stage from foreign to local, the govt is not the problem but the time it takes Nigerians to accept the Nigerian goods will determine how long the pain will last.

In the next five years, we will fully accept our own economy and in the next ten years, we will have an economy that will beat France and Germany cos we have the market already.

Iamanoited:
Don't buy FOREIGN MADE. Buy locally made products. DIVERSIFY into agriculture. LET NIGERIA eat well FIRST.

You people should be hired to defend the devil on judgment day, you will see reality facing you yet you keep looking for an excuse for the politicians that don't give a fvck about you.

What gains did the closing of borders bring when Buhari closed borders in the name of encouraging local production?

What gains did we see when Jonathan encourages us to buy local?

If we are to produce locally wont we import machinery and raw materials we don't have here abroad?

What happens to choices, Nigerians will chose an iohone over any locally produced phone because iphone is a global brand.

I don't even know how you guys use your brains sometimes.

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Majesty7: 2:15pm On Oct 25, 2023
Kukutente23:

I have been reading a lot of ignorant govt supporters claiming there is a policy to "kill" importation. Let me get you guys right. You want to kill importation but you hope to export abi. The other countries are fools abi. The machinery and equipment you will use to produce locally usually fall from the sky during rainy season abi? You guys are dumb.

Your god said yesterday that there is a plan to inject $10bn into forex to stabilize the currency and increase its value. How does that match the claim of you his supporters that there is a need to devalue or currency till we "kill" importation and purge ourselves of foreign goods longing? You are very dumb

How I wish you can just be enlightened a bit. You would have shot yourself for this rubbish you commented.

Nigeria injecting another huge USD into the economy is to relieve people like you who shouts and groan like they are being killed for nothing! Nigeria is subsiding USD to ease frustration BUT that is not the normal thing to do. However, if they fail to do such, people will CRY! So, the country is just patching up

You are too dull
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Slimplush: 2:17pm On Oct 25, 2023
Artiiclebeast:

And buy a Nigerian-made phone to keep making these sorts of senseless comments.

Even the politicians hoarding and fuelling the Dollar to Naira craze while selling you the dummy you keep regurgitating will be amazed at how you have been able to put a "better" senseless interpretation to their cluelessness.

Na wa

Modified: I vote for Tinubu and I believe we are heading somewhere, maybe.. Yeah

But I hate senseless comment when I see one.

Make the guy just dey yarn rubbish, how many thing are we producing in Nigeria

Just name few of them...

The funny facts is we will still be using foreign made products unless there's provision to be making most of this products before this policy were set, then we Wil have alternative, there's no alternative and you were saying we should be patronizing out local made product "which local made product"??

1 Like

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Majesty7: 2:17pm On Oct 25, 2023
KingOfAmebo:

You people should be hired to defend the devil on judgment day, you will see reality facing you yet you keep looking for an excuse for the politicians that don't give a fvck about you.

What gains did the closing of borders bring when Buhari closed borders in the name of encouraging local production?

What gains did we see when Jonathan encourages us to buy local?

If we are to produce locally wont we import machinery and raw materials we don't have here abroad?

What happens to choices, Nigerians will chose an iohone over any locally produced phone because iphone is a global brand.

I don't even know how you guys use your brains sometimes.

Oh my God! How can someone be this daft? The need (USD) must not be above earnings (inflow).

We will still be importing but the inflow must be way above the request. With that Naira will be strengthened!!!! Do we need to open your skull?
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by finallybusy: 2:24pm On Oct 25, 2023
I clicked this, thinking I'd get an education of sort. Once again, the thread reminded me that children on Nairaland are products of incest.
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Kukutente23: 2:24pm On Oct 25, 2023
Majesty7:

How I wish you can just be enlightened a bit. You would have shot yourself for this rubbish you commented.

Nigeria injecting another huge USD into the economy is to relieve people like you who shouts and groan like they are being killed for nothing! Nigeria is subsiding USD to ease frustration BUT that is not the normal thing to do. However, if they fail to do such, people will CRY! So, the country is just patching up

You are too dull
What is the normal thing to do?
Pls enlighten me. You made it sound as if govt is doing the citizens a favour. Do you mean citizens or slaves
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by okunwaye(m): 2:25pm On Oct 25, 2023
Purvan:
Your business should crash because you're not doing an essential business

How many people needs phone these days ??

See wetin they commit from this dirty gbegiri mouth embarassed
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by KingOfAmebo(m): 2:26pm On Oct 25, 2023
Majesty7:

Oh my God! How can someone be this daft? The need (USD) must not be above earnings (inflow).

We will still be importing but the inflow must be way above the request. With that Naira will be strengthened!!!! Do we need to open your skull?

You need inflow, heck, why didn't you inform Tinubu before he blindly removed subsidy without a single working refinery and unified forex without scalping bureau de change? Seems you have agreed Tinubu goofed.

Your argument is so lame you forgot it has been in existence before you were born.

You empty skulls are way more disastrous than those in power.

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Majesty7: 2:31pm On Oct 25, 2023
KingOfAmebo:

You need inflow, heck, why didn't you inform Tinubu before he blindly removed subsidy without a single working refinery and unified forex without scalping bureau de change? Seems you have agreed Tinubu goofed.

Your argument is so lame you forgot it has been in existence before you were born.

You empty skulls are way more disastrous than those in power.

You need deliverance. May God heal you. Try to eat and read
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by aylive02(m): 2:32pm On Oct 25, 2023
Wainey:
So I am into importation of phones and selling it here in Nigeria, with the recent price hike in everything. My business is reaching a point where it's about to be closed, please what do I do?
. I just read through your profile and I saw you are the one saying obedients will believe Obi played football with Odili. Bro, you're reaping the rewards of your decision. Please enjoy it to the fullest. Mind you, the worst is yet to come. Next time, you will learn to choose wisely without sentiments. Peace!
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Majesty7: 2:34pm On Oct 25, 2023
Kukutente23:

What is the normal thing to do?
Pls enlighten me. You made it sound as if govt is doing the citizens a favour. Do you mean citizens or slaves

Now, you are getting it. THE GOVERNMENT IS DOING THE CITIZEN A HUGE FAVOUR. Subsidizing the USD for them and not allowing the USD to trade freely.

The real value of USD is way above #1k due to the huge request piling up. So, the government is doing the citizens huge favour.

Now, you should think of what can the government do to bring in more USD to cater for the needs of Nigerians. Then let's talk again. Thank you
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Blitzking: 2:35pm On Oct 25, 2023
richmond500:

You av said it all
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Kukutente23: 2:38pm On Oct 25, 2023
Majesty7:

Now, you are getting it. THE GOVERNMENT IS DOING THE CITIZEN A HUGE FAVOUR. Subsidizing the USD for them and not allowing the USD to trade freely.

The real value of USD is way above #1k due to the huge request piling up. So, the government is doing the citizens huge favour.

Now, you should think of what can the government do to bring in more USD to cater for the needs of Nigerians. Then let's talk again. Thank you
Whose responsibility is it to retain the value of the naira?
You conveniently forget that it is not only the USD whose currency value has risen against the naira. The naira has fallen against ALL currencies including the CFA used by all our neighbors. In fact, it is the fourth worst performing currency in the African continent!
In light of above, explain to me again how the govt is doing the citizens a HUGE FAVOUR

1 Like

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by maxtrix: 2:43pm On Oct 25, 2023
Kcprince’s would you still advise someone to build a gas plant in our present day Nigeria especially because of the exchange rate and govt policies
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by maxtrix: 2:47pm On Oct 25, 2023
kcprince
Would you still advise someone to go into gas businesses in our today Nigeria, I meant build a plant for retail service, in respect to economic policies and exchange rate.
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Majesty7: 2:50pm On Oct 25, 2023
Kukutente23:

Whose responsibility is it to retain the value of the naira?
You conveniently forget that it is not only the USD whose currency value has risen against the naira. The naira has fallen against ALL currencies including the CFA used by all our neighbors. In fact, it is the fourth worst performing currency in the African continent!
In light of above, explain to me again how the govt is doing the citizens a HUGE FAVOUR

It is the government responsibility to do that and Nigeria has always been lucky with bad leaders.

Secondly, the Naira can't be strengthened against the USD and other currencies if Nigeria are strangulating it by not adding value, producing and not 90% self reliance on foreign goods.

Euro and Pounds are higher than USD. You don't expect USD to raise in a place and then expect currencies which are naturally higher than USD be reduced. They have to be regulated as well hence other currencies.

If you want your Naira to improve, try to bring in more USD into the economy that will be atleast more than100% of what is being needed, with that, Naira will find it's value.

Secondly, the Naira can be devalued even if Nigeria are exporting so as to lure more exporters into the bringing more USD. Afterwards, Naira will now find it's place.

Nigeria's leaders are so greedy that they focus solely on oil without developing other areas. These lead to our self reliance on crude oil and thereby neglecting other factor. Now, that the earnings from crude oil can't satisfy 30% of our needs, what do we do?

Tinubu has not done any economy blunder. He is just trying to patch up what he meet on ground.

Naira will find it's place ONLY if we start exporting more.
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by GOSPELTRUTH31: 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2023
richmond500:

Funny guy living in a fools paradise.
A government that can't patronize and grow it's local content.
The president and all government officials drives imported cars

The government import fuel as well

And you want it citizen to trust local products?

Are locally made goods cheap?
If you don't have any advice for the op
You Shut up
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by okunwaye(m): 2:56pm On Oct 25, 2023
fiyi:
Its not about who you vote for, its about the fundamentals. The fundamentals remain same irrespective. The last regime destroyed the fundamentals built from 1999 till 2014. Whoever is there now cannot do magic over night other than we bear the pain and enjoy tomorrow. For me, we should have a list of items that we should never ever be imported to our country. And yearly, we keep increasing the list. Its either we find a way to produce those items locally or we dont use those items. I tell you, in a decade we should start seeing sign of greatness has a country.

another dirty gbegiri mouth vomiting trash embarassed
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by okunwaye(m): 2:56pm On Oct 25, 2023
fiyi:
Its not about who you vote for, its about the fundamentals. The fundamentals remain same irrespective. The last regime destroyed the fundamentals built from 1999 till 2014. Whoever is there now cannot do magic over night other than we bear the pain and enjoy tomorrow. For me, we should have a list of items that we should never ever be imported to our country. And yearly, we keep increasing the list. Its either we find a way to produce those items locally or we dont use those items. I tell you, in a decade we should start seeing sign of greatness has a country.

another dirty gbegiri mouth vomiting trash embarassed
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Jagabanarmy: 3:01pm On Oct 25, 2023
richmond500:

Do we have all the raw materials to produce locally without importing raw materials from abroad? The answer is capital..No . There are so many things we can't source the raw materials locally so your view is not totally correct. There countries that have strong currencies despite the fact that they import heavily.
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by namo77: 3:01pm On Oct 25, 2023
But you are a Tinubu supporter… I thought you will be enjoying his government.

Don’t complain o, enjoy your shege with a smile on your face… close down your business and enjoy shege… don’t complain at all
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Kukutente23: 3:11pm On Oct 25, 2023
Majesty7:

It is the government responsibility to do that and Nigeria has always been lucky with bad leaders.

Secondly, the Naira can't be strengthened against the USD and other currencies if Nigeria are strangulating it by not adding value, producing and not 90% self reliance on foreign goods.

Euro and Pounds are higher than USD. You don't expect USD to raise in a place and then expect currencies which are naturally higher than USD be reduced. They have to be regulated as well hence other currencies.

If you want your Naira to improve, try to bring in more USD into the economy that will be atleast more than100% of what is being needed, with that, Naira will find it's value.

Secondly, the Naira can be devalued even if Nigeria are exporting so as to lure more exporters into the bringing more USD. Afterwards, Naira will now find it's place.

Nigeria's leaders are so greedy that they focus solely on oil without developing other areas. These lead to our self reliance on crude oil and thereby neglecting other factor. Now, that the earnings from crude oil can't satisfy 30% of our needs, what do we do?

Tinubu has not done any economy blunder. He is just trying to patch up what he meet on ground.

Naira will find it's place ONLY if we start exporting more.
I like the fact that you're honest enough to accept govt responsibility but I think you're misguided if you genuinely think Tinubu has not made economic blunders.

If you're a good student of history, you should ask yourself how come dollar to naira moved by just N150 from 1999 to 2015 but accelerated by over N500 from 2015 to 2023 and has accelerated further by another N500 in a space of few months under Tinubu.

Were we exporting more during the PDP years and immediately APC came in, Nigerians simply became lax and lazy and started importing while not exporting? This is a critical question to ask for any honest and sane mind.

Now, check my posts. I've always been against subsidy removal from the get go because our economy is petrol-run. It is a fundamental for us and if we don't have a substitute for the supply, it makes no sense to remove the subsidy.

Secondly, the idea of floating the naira is an IMF idea which NO developed or serious country entertains. The US devalues dollars and firms it up at will. Same for China. The idea of floating is harebrained. Currency is not a commodity. It's a store of value. There is no value you float that will not be debased.

You can try it with anything of value you have. Let's assume your phone is worth 500k in your estimation and you need 450k. Then you take your phone to a pawn shop or an auction. Do you really think you'll be able to sell it for even 400k? But if a buyer comes to you of his own will, you can even sell the phone for 600k.

The point of my analogy is that floating the naira was actually an euphemism for exposing it to all the market vagaries. This has led to what we have now and the dollar you're claiming govt is pushing into the market is to reflate it after seeing the terrible effects of the floating experiments.

So it's not about imports and exports. As a matter of fact, according to NBS data, we exported more and imported less in the 2nd quarter of this year. How do you now explain the falling value of naira against ALL other currencies in light of that fact?

1 Like

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Majesty7: 3:42pm On Oct 25, 2023
Kukutente23:

I like the fact that you're honest enough to accept govt responsibility but I think you're misguided if you genuinely think Tinubu has not made economic blunders.

If you're a good student of history, you should ask yourself how come dollar to naira moved by just N150 from 1999 to 2015 but accelerated by over N500 from 2015 to 2023 and has accelerated further by another N500 in a space of few months under Tinubu.

Were we exporting more during the PDP years and immediately APC came in, Nigerians simply became lax and lazy and started importing while not exporting? This is a critical question to ask for any honest and sane mind.

Now, check my posts. I've always been against subsidy removal from the get go because our economy is petrol-run. It is a fundamental for us and if we don't have a substitute for the supply, it makes no sense to remove the subsidy.

Secondly, the idea of floating the naira is an IMF idea which NO developed or serious country entertains. The US devalues dollars and firms it up at will. Same for China. The idea of floating is harebrained. Currency is not a commodity. It's a store of value. There is no value you float that will not be debased.

You can try it with anything of value you have. Let's assume your phone is worth 500k in your estimation and you need 450k. Then you take your phone to a pawn shop or an auction. Do you really think you'll be able to sell it for even 400k? But if a buyer comes to you of his own will, you can even sell the phone for 600k.

The point of my analogy is that floating the naira was actually an euphemism for exposing it to all the market vagaries. This has led to what we have now and the dollar you're claiming govt is pushing into the market is to reflate it after seeing the terrible effects of the floating experiments.

So it's not about imports and exports. As a matter of fact, according to NBS data, we exported more and imported less in the 2nd quarter of this year. How do you now explain the falling value of naira against ALL other currencies in light of that fact?

You are still not getting it.

The demand kept growing over the years and Nigeria kept cushioning the effect using their earnings from the sales of crude oil.

Now couple with the fact that the government is corrupt, most of the parastatals leaders indulged in arbitrage. Nigeria was subsidising USD and pushing the price down using their own money at the official window and giving few people privileged to access it and thereby reselling at the parallel market.

The more you look the less you understand.

Tinubu stopping all these, he will have to devalue the currency so that it can be a little at par with the street value because if they don't, they will keep spending more money to subsidize it so as to keep the fake value.

I don't like Tinubu and he is not my candidate but I will keep saying he is the BEST out of the trio. He understands there is a problem and wants to tackle it.

No problem. Wish you luck
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Vill(f): 4:07pm On Oct 25, 2023
richmond500:

So Nigeria as a country is manufacturing Mobile phones are what. Your just a fool
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by jesmond3945: 4:07pm On Oct 25, 2023
richmond500:

without cheap energy? Is not even that the energy is not in our soil.
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by poiZon: 4:20pm On Oct 25, 2023
richmond500:
This is not about APC, this is about understanding the economics and accepting a better country.

Don't think every comment on NL is political, religion or ethnic
Can we encourage those bandits to atleast use locally made guns and not AK-47 and other assorted rifles.
And also make FG stop to dey buy ammo from the west, let's use JuJu to kill these terrorists.

1 Like

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by ChiefOkporghe: 4:21pm On Oct 25, 2023
richmond500:

Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by kcprince: 4:56pm On Oct 25, 2023
maxtrix:
kcprince
Would you still advise someone to go into gas businesses in our today Nigeria, I meant build a plant for retail service, in respect to economic policies and exchange rate.

Oil and gas is terrible now becasue there is no margin again due to high cost of buying . Like today diesel is bought at 1250. I am still wondering how much I will sell buy the time it arrives .

You can go into gas but on a small scale with room for expansion. But don’t expect to make duplex money there o. Na just survival money wey dey there .
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Kukutente23: 5:02pm On Oct 25, 2023
Majesty7:

You are still not getting it.

The demand kept growing over the years and Nigeria kept cushioning the effect using their earnings from the sales of crude oil.

Now couple with the fact that the government is corrupt, most of the parastatals leaders indulged in arbitrage. Nigeria was subsidising USD and pushing the price down using their own money at the official window and giving few people privileged to access it and thereby reselling at the parallel market.

The more you look the less you understand.

Tinubu stopping all these, he will have to devalue the currency so that it can be a little at par with the street value because if they don't, they will keep spending more money to subsidize it so as to keep the fake value.

I don't like Tinubu and he is not my candidate but I will keep saying he is the BEST out of the trio. He understands there is a problem and wants to tackle it.

No problem. Wish you luck
Demand kept growing? Who is feeding you all this bunkum?
You're missing the point totally.
1. There's no govt that does not defend its currency.
2. APC govt especially under Buhari and now Tinubu keep messing with our macroeconomic fundamentals without putting in alternatives.

The two above is what's been killing our currency and our economy under APC. For example, under PDP, our economy grew at an average of 5% yearly. Under Buhari, we grew at an average of 0.8 thereabouts!

The scenario of subsidizing dollars started under Buhari. Don't generalise it. Our currency was the worst for it in the parallel market. And how has Tinubu devaluing it fared? The gap between official and parallel market is back and worse still, it's harder to access forex in the official market than before!

You APC supporters need to own up to the reality that APC are very poor at economic management. It's that fact that you don't want to own up to that makes you keep bringing up different narratives to deflect from the mess being made of our economy.

Tinubu could not have been the best out of the trio. He refused to be interrogated on his plans.

If i ask you what makes you think he's the best, you'll point to Lagos. That's propaganda. Lagos has always been the prime city of Nigeria. And it has not been the best run state in Nigeria since 1999.

Tinubu's ACN ruled other states apart from Lagos and none is an eldorado presently. So using Lagos as a yardstick is purely crass opportunism.
Re: How Government Policies Is Killing My Business by Kennitrust(m): 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2023
pendusky:

Just vote right next time
until there is a compulsory legal backing on e-voting I don't think any reasonable person will create time for voting in this country again not after a known human being and INEC replace same a dubious creature

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

CBN Policies Paying Off as exchange rate (N1431/$) posts Best Gain in 6 Weeks / See Aliko Dangote's 'heaven On Earth' Mansion That Can Make One Confuse / Atms Dispense Fake N1000 Notes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.