Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,573 members, 7,812,861 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog (20805 Views)

CBN Releases $500m To Clear Verified FOREX Backlog / CBN May Not Clear FOREX Backlog — Report / Old Notes Circulation: CBN Begins Monitoring Today, Banks Set Two-week Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Yourprick: 2:47pm On Nov 02, 2023
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has delivered over 75 percent to 80 percent of outstanding matured FX forwards in banks.

According to the source who told BusinessDay, only international banks have been settled which include Citi Bank, Standard Chartered and Stanbic IBTC.
“We have being directed to inform you that CBN has cleared all outstanding matured forwards forex,” a note from Citigroup showed. A top source in Nigeria’s apex bank confirmed the development to BusinessDay.

“I can confirm the backlog in 14 banks have been cleared
. Don’t quote me as I don’t have the details yet,” source said.

https://businessday.ng/news/article/relief-for-nigeria-as-cbn-begins-to-clear-fx-backlog/

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Yourprick: 2:49pm On Nov 02, 2023
Goan sell those $$$, Naira appreciating to 1k hopefully 900 before year end Omo dollar at 900 jeez
https://www.tradingview.com/symbols/USDTNGN/

15 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by SoNature(m): 2:50pm On Nov 02, 2023
I hope they aren't borrowing it or emptying Nigeria's foreign reserves to clear the backlog. Nigeria is struggling with FX, but the president plans to splash millions of dollars buying a yacht.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by SocialJustice: 2:50pm On Nov 02, 2023
People who bought dollar above N1k to hoard are about to lose massively.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Yourprick: 2:51pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:
them go hear m I swr 🤣🤣

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by michlins(m): 2:52pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:
I hope they aren't borrowing it or emptying Nigeria's foreign reserves to clear the backlog.
anything to clear the backlog is a welcome development. You wouldn't know what it does to international trade and as an import dependent country,ná war!!!

66 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 2:52pm On Nov 02, 2023
This should have a positive effect on the naira. I pity Nigerians who bought dollars above 1k.

28 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 2:53pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:
I hope they aren't borrowing it or emptying Nigeria's foreign reserves to clear the backlog. Nigeria is struggling with FX, but the president plans to splash millions of dollars buying a yacht.
Have you not been following the news?

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Prince111111: 2:53pm On Nov 02, 2023
michlins:
anything to clear the backlog is a welcome development. You wouldn't know what it does to international trade and as an import dependent country,ná war!!!
Yes anything to help the Naira is highly appreciated

26 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Shawnnn01: 2:56pm On Nov 02, 2023
Even after it as been denied with no major newspaper carrying except Igbo n ipob online fake outlet

SoNature:

19 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by LordAdam16: 2:58pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:

This is from the reserves.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by JagabanB: 3:06pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:
This is what u fixate on now, same way u all talked about salary increment until u got tired and we didn't see salary increment till today.

8 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by CodeTemplar: 3:06pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:
the foreign reserve has its job which I believe is to make forex available.

As long they don't touch more than 10-12%.

13 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by wittywriter: 3:08pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:
Lolz...
Khyrvxjzy:

you no insult yoruba ni?
I'm not a bigot...I comment about ills try purge yourself off from tribal slurs/ bigotry.

Wittyness.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by SoNature(m): 3:16pm On Nov 02, 2023
CodeTemplar:
the foreign reserve has its job which I believe is to make forex available.

As long they don't touch more than 10-12%.

Every competent government works hard to grow its foreign reserves, not spend from it. If former presidents who came before Tinubu started spending that money, what would have Tinubu met?

Oops! I guess he didn't promise Nigerians anything; he's only enjoying his turn and has hired tons of online scallywags to defend his rascality.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by LordAdam16: 3:30pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:

Every competent government works hard to grow its foreign reserves, not spend from it. If former presidents who came before Tinubu started spending that money, what would have Tinubu met?

Oops! I guess he didn't promise Nigerians anything; he's only enjoying his turn and has hired tons of online scallywags to defend his rascality.

They leaked to the press that they'd receive funds this week from foreign lenders and start clearing the backlog.
They made this inaccurate disclosure because they had to stem the drop in the parallel market.

If this week had ended without any action on the backlog, it'd have led to a surge next week.
That's why they're tapping into the reserves.
Preliminary reports state they took out $1B.

I guess they'll stagger it every two weeks or thereabout until they receive the funds which they'll then use to plug the leaking reserve.
Meanwhile the downward pressure on rates will hold.
Ensuring a near-term band of 900-1100.

All of this is contingent on those funds coming in before the end of the year.
If they don't, we'd have a negative net reserve and rates will crash with a vengeance.
It'd have been great if the Dangote Refinery had commenced gasoline refining.
But while it may yet kick off before the end of the year. It'll take a while to ramp up.
Most of our crude is earmarked for export to secure prized $.

The CBN is trying to restore belief and confidence in their capacity to meet institutional obligations.
To that end, this is helpful.

-Lord

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by MrBiGGEST(m): 3:56pm On Nov 02, 2023
☝🏽 cheesy

~lol

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by CodeTemplar: 4:03pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:

foreign reserve can be grown but doesn't have to be grown endlessly. Some countries that can afford to do that. Others maintain an ECA like Nigeria does. Noway doesn't.

11 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Gajagojo: 4:05pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:
Ypu clearly don't understand what is gping on and you have zero understand what foreigh reserves are

That is patently obvious

There is nothing like "Nigeria's foreign reserves"

It is the CBN that owns and keeps foreign reserves and so if the CBN is owing any backlog it will pay from its (The CBN's foreign reserves)

13 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by hegelian: 4:18pm On Nov 02, 2023
Yourprick:
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has delivered over 75 percent to 80 percent of outstanding matured FX forwards in banks.

According to the source who told BusinessDay, only international banks have been settled which include Citi Bank, Standard Chartered and Stanbic IBTC.
“We have being directed to inform you that CBN has cleared all outstanding matured forwards forex,” a note from Citigroup showed. A top source in Nigeria’s apex bank confirmed the development to BusinessDay.

“I can confirm the backlog in 14 banks have been cleared. Don’t quote me as I don’t have the details yet,” source said.

More details later….

https://businessday.ng/news/article/relief-for-nigeria-as-cbn-begins-to-clear-fx-backlog/

this is fucking good news if its true...its gonna help the naira and economy overall....good one from the druggie..i dont like but this is kudos to you if true.hopefully we get more of this good news

6 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Didi2d(m): 4:18pm On Nov 02, 2023
LordAdam16:

They leaked to the press that they'd receive funds this week from foreign lenders and start clearing the backlog.
They made this inaccurate disclosure because they had to stem the drop in the parallel market.

If this week had ended without any action on the backlog, it'd have led to a surge next week.
That's why they're tapping into the reserves.
Preliminary reports state they took out $1B.

I guess they'll stagger it every two weeks or thereabout until they receive the funds which they'll then use to plug the leaking reserve.
Meanwhile the downward pressure on rates will hold.
Ensuring a near-term band of 900-1100.

All of this is contingent on those funds coming in before the end of the year.
If they don't, we'd have a negative net reserve and rates will crash with a vengeance.
It'd have been great if the Dangote Refinery had commenced gasoline refining.
But while it may yet kick off before the end of the year. It'll take a while to ramp up.
Most of our crude is earmarked for export to secure prized $.

The CBN is trying to restore belief and confidence in their capacity to meet institutional obligations.
To that end, this is helpful.

-Lord

You're doing everything possible to educate that man.
Thanks

10 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Hez143(m): 4:48pm On Nov 02, 2023
sell dollar now!!

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by LikeAking: 5:30pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
This should have a positive effect on the naira. I pity Nigerians who bought dollars above 1k.

Nothing much go happen..
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by FreeStuffsNG: 6:01pm On Nov 02, 2023
Yourprick:

Expect more great news like this. The pressure on the black market that overvalued the US dollars by speculators will soon be a thing of the past with the unpatriotic speculators severely burnt!

Only the naysayers, cyberbullies and criminal defamers will not be blessed by Nigeria.
Nigeria is in the hands of the best of the best among us in terms of brilliance , competence and patriotism. Asiwaju has up to 3 A-Grade sets of such exceedingly phenomenal Nigerians.
God bless Nigeria for ever!Check my signature for free stuffs!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Fatbam005: 6:01pm On Nov 02, 2023
What,. Not again
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by inoki247: 6:01pm On Nov 02, 2023
Good no wonder Dollar dey carry reverse....

People dey lament on my status on the crash like this....

Dollar go up people lament he crash people are also lamenting wetin people even want sef....

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by romklef(m): 6:02pm On Nov 02, 2023
grin no loud am..
SocialJustice:

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by JuanDeDios: 6:02pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:
Which foreign reserve? You think there's money there?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by optimusprime2(m): 6:04pm On Nov 02, 2023
At this rate...

By January 1usd may equal 2000NGN

You can't tell me that this clearance is not made from foreign reserves... in the midst of all the debt.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by seborrhic: 6:06pm On Nov 02, 2023
optimusprime2:
At this rate...

By January 1usd may equal 2000NGN

You can't tell me that this clearance is not made from foreign reserves... in the midst of all the debt.

Even in the most developed countries,central banks intervene in the currency market when it starts spiralling out of control.
If the government and CBN don't intervene in the market,at the rate the ₦ is sliding,by January or April next year,we might be looking at $1 to ₦3000!

7 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Cmeo(m): 6:08pm On Nov 02, 2023
I hope this is not political news because of the word "I am directed" written by the beneficiary in this statement has a strong meaning in Corporate Administration.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dubai Company Buys N48bn Stake In Dangote Cement / NIN-Bank Linkage: 85.51 Million Bank Customers Risk Account Suspension / Naira Drops To 313.5 As Dollar Shortage Persists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.