Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,264 members, 7,829,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog (20839 Views)

CBN Releases $500m To Clear Verified FOREX Backlog / CBN May Not Clear FOREX Backlog — Report / Old Notes Circulation: CBN Begins Monitoring Today, Banks Set Two-week Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by InvertedHammer: 6:53pm On Nov 02, 2023
Yourprick:
Goan sell those $$$, Naira appreciating to 1k hopefully 900 before year end
/
If I do a $ transaction at this minute, I can get N1172 per dollar. Go figure!

/

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by lionshare: 6:56pm On Nov 02, 2023
ivolt:

The only news that matters is whether the government has started earning more dollars.
Since the answer is no, then the "hoarders" only need to wait.
Have you checked Nigeria Oil production levels in the last 3months? Check You will find your answer.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by nedu666: 6:58pm On Nov 02, 2023
LordAdam16:

They leaked to the press that they'd receive funds this week from foreign lenders and start clearing the backlog.
They made this inaccurate disclosure because they had to stem the drop in the parallel market.

If this week had ended without any action on the backlog, it'd have led to a surge next week.
That's why they're tapping into the reserves.
Preliminary reports state they took out $1B.

I guess they'll stagger it every two weeks or thereabout until they receive the funds which they'll then use to plug the leaking reserve.
Meanwhile the downward pressure on rates will hold.
Ensuring a near-term band of 900-1100.

All of this is contingent on those funds coming in before the end of the year.
If they don't, we'd have a negative net reserve and rates will crash with a vengeance.
It'd have been great if the Dangote Refinery had commenced gasoline refining.
But while it may yet kick off before the end of the year. It'll take a while to ramp up.
Most of our crude is earmarked for export to secure prized $.

The CBN is trying to restore belief and confidence in their capacity to meet institutional obligations.
To that end, this is helpful.

-Lord

Oga abeg does it mean Nigeria is not making shishi from crude oil even at above $80 a barrel

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Yourprick: 7:01pm On Nov 02, 2023
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Truth234(m): 7:02pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:
People who bought dollar above N1k to hoard are about to lose massively.

Nobody is losing anything if you understand the Nigerian economic structure. One, FG can't clear $13 billion forex obligations given our current external reserves and fiscal space.

The government that is looking to borrow over $7 billion to finance this year's budget will borrow even more next year amid record weak crude oil production. I commented so we can come back to it in February 2024.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by ivolt: 7:03pm On Nov 02, 2023
lionshare:

Have you checked the Nigeria Oil production levels in the last 3months? Check You will find your answer.
The way to know real changes in foreign earnings is from official windows.
If you see a sustained downward trend of dollar, then the earnings has increased, otherwise,
it is business as usual and the government is just trying to scare neophytes in the short term.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by StarRiderr: 7:04pm On Nov 02, 2023
Story for the Gods APC and lies are like 5&6
SocialJustice:
with the way things are going in Nigeria before the end of December this year Dollar will be at the rate of NGN2500 to NGN3000 to 1USD no be bad prayer I dey pray for my Country oo but na the reality be that

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Yourprick: 7:04pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:
oboy it's below 1k now grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 7:09pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Have you not been following the news?
leave them, na rumors and negative news about their country they prefer

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Gajagojo: 7:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
obi58:

Kai don't say what you don't know.

Which CBN foreign reserves? Is CBN now an independent body?

Can CBN spend a dime of the foreign reserves without approval? If the FX deficit was the problem why has CBN not just debited the FX reserves all this while to flood the market? Why is the FG securing a $10bn loan to meet its matured FX obligations then?

It is better you stay silent

Foreign reserves are not savings as many of you ignorantly believe and they are not "spent"

It is simply beyond your brain powers
When you see the word RESERVES
You ignorantly think they are savings that can be spent

That is not the case

Once again just admit you do not understand the issues and be silent

When the CBN settles Forex obligations it is exchanging forex for Naira and NOT SPENDING it

The Naira is simply a debt of the CBN and foreign investors are holding NAira set at a certain exchange rate contract.

That is why it is called BACKLOG. People have a contract with the CBN to take back its Naira
at a fixed rate . The CBN does not have the dollars to take back its Naira and that is why the Naira is crashing.The reserves are CBN ASSETS while the Naira is a CBN LIABILITY
Th fear is foreign reserves cannot cover all the naira that the CBN has been printing the longer it takes to settle the higher the exchange rate

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 7:12pm On Nov 02, 2023
Calitoscassius:
You always argue against yourself grin grin you claimed you are seen the positive result of the naira appreciations i ask you for proofs, gave you an example with the price of cement. You carefully avoided providing proofs and then tries to divert the to the same line, "this thread is not about the price of cement" grin

Fine, show me the proofs of the positive outcome that you claim to have seen. grin forget cement price, high food and commodities prices
The results Is already showing at the forex market. You're just arguing unreasonably.

The naira could have keep on falling, and even be more than #1300/$ by now

4 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by lionshare: 7:15pm On Nov 02, 2023
ivolt:

The way to know real changes in foreign earnings is from official windows.
If you see a sustained downward trend of dollar, then the earnings has increased, otherwise,
it is business as usual and the government is just trying to scare neophytes in the short term.
Well the official windows has shown the naira appreciating recently---perhaps you should check I/E window & Nafex over the last 10 days.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Saidfx(m): 7:16pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:

That are many and will still blame government for being clueless 🤣🤣🤣

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Masterito(m): 7:23pm On Nov 02, 2023
This comment just showed how APC has messed the country. Remind me what it was under GEJ/PDP.
Yourprick:
Goan sell those $$$, Naira appreciating to 1k hopefully 900 before year end
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Khyrvxjzy: 7:25pm On Nov 02, 2023
wittywriter:

Lolz...

Wittyness.

you no insult yoruba ni?
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Elliotwaveforec: 7:27pm On Nov 02, 2023
Thank God, we now have a technocrat as a minister of economy.

N500/$ wouldn't be a bad idea! It's good for price stability.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by skultrick(m): 7:27pm On Nov 02, 2023
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by PARADIZEPRIEST: 7:28pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:
IFSHA TO TEACH THEM HARD LESSON. angry
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Elliotwaveforec: 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2023
Gajagojo:

It is better you stay silent

Foreign reserves are not savings as many of you ignorantly believe and they are not "spent"

It is simply beyond your brain powers
When you see the word RESERVES
You ignorantly think they are savings that can be spent

That is not the case

Once again just admit you do not understand the issues and be silent

When the CBN settles Forex obligations it is exchanging forex for Naira and NOT SPENDING it

The Naira is simply a debt of the CBN and foreign investors are holding NAira set at a certain exchange rate contract.

That is why it is called BACKLOG. People have a contract with the CBN to take back its Naira
at a fixed rate . The CBN does not have the dollars to take back its Naira and that is why the Naira is crashing.The reserves are CBN ASSETS while the Naira is a CBN LIABILITY
Th fear is foreign reserves cannot cover all the naira that the CBN has been printing the longer it takes to settle the higher the exchange rate
Thank you for the explanation! You really understand the economy of Forex.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by PARADIZEPRIEST: 7:30pm On Nov 02, 2023
Elliotwaveforec:
Thank God, we now have a technocrat as a minister of economy.

N500/$ wouldn't be a bad idea! It's good for price stability.
LETS US CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR PRESIDENT TINUBU BECAUSE BAD ELECTION LOSERS WONT BE HAPPY IF HE MAKE NIGERIA GREAT.PRAY!!! Pray AGAINST SABOTAGE BY SABOTUERS,OIL THEFT CRIMINALS MUST STOP IFSHA

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by ivolt: 7:33pm On Nov 02, 2023
lionshare:

Well the official windows has shown the naira appreciating recently---perhaps you should check I/E window & Nafex over the last 10 days.
You are talking about days, there are people who holds dollar for years.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by fatboyslym007: 7:35pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:

Sorry, I won't. Believe whatever you like. Someone like myself built ChatGPT from neutral feedback.

From you assertion, I can conclude you either into AI/ML or computational scientist. My bro, learning/training is the foundation of any intelligent system.
The more reason you should learn n understand the relationship between all those stuff I mentioned earlier before commenting.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by PARADIZEPRIEST: 7:37pm On Nov 02, 2023
Truth234:

Nobody is losing anything if you understand the Nigerian economic structure. One, FG can't clear $13 billion forex obligations given our current external reserves and fiscal space.

The government that is looking to borrow over $7 billion to finance this year's budget will borrow even more next year amid record weak crude oil production. I commented so we can come back to it in February 2024.
It is simple economics of demand and supply.The billions of dollars suppied into naija economy will stimulate Intl trade volumes to rise,MRE investors will arrive naija,china is already on ground to challenge dollars with BRICS,dollar is history in next 2years and naira will be strong because we got materials and human resource to drive our economy. grin

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Truth234(m): 7:46pm On Nov 02, 2023
PARADIZEPRIEST:
It is simple economics of demand and supply.The billions of dollars suppied into naija economy will stimulate Intl trade volumes to rise,MRE investors will arrive naija,china is already on ground to challenge dollars with BRICS,dollar is history in next 2years and naira will be strong because we got materials and human resource to drive our economy. grin

Please where are the billion of dollars?
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by SocialJustice: 7:49pm On Nov 02, 2023
StarRiderr:
Story for the Gods APC and lies are like 5&6 with the way things are going in Nigeria before the end of December this year Dollar will be at the rate of NGN2500 to NGN3000 to 1USD no be bad prayer I dey pray for my Country oo but na the reality be that
Stick to reality. It didn't even get to weekend before it fell below 1k and it will continue to fall. Those who bought N1300 done kpeme already like this.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by SocialJustice: 7:50pm On Nov 02, 2023
Truth234:

You go wise eventually.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by wittywriter: 7:51pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:
Stick to reality. It didn't even get to weekend before it fell below 1k and it will continue to fall. Those who bought N1300 done kpeme already like this.
Comment Bookmarked.

Wittyness.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Gajagojo: 7:56pm On Nov 02, 2023
Truth234:

The backlog is not FG backlog
It is not a government liability
It is a CBN Liability
The CBN is not the FG

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by gbemishile: 8:00pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:

Every competent government works hard to grow its foreign reserves, not spend from it. If former presidents who came before Tinubu started spending that money, what would have Tinubu met?

Oops! I guess he didn't promise Nigerians anything; he's only enjoying his turn and has hired tons of online scallywags to defend his rascality.
Ure crying and wailing too much on a man who isnt regarded as ur president.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by yinkeys(m): 8:15pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:
I hope they aren't borrowing it or emptying Nigeria's foreign reserves to clear the backlog. Nigeria is struggling with FX, but the president plans to splash millions of dollars buying a yacht.
Lol like they’re preparing for Armageddon or something
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by optimusprime2(m): 8:17pm On Nov 02, 2023
zionstaar75:
I'm not sure this one even finished secondary school

Please sir,

Since you finished secondary school, can you please tell me what happens to the economy of a country that depletes its foreign reserves to service forex backlogs, putting it in mind that the value of the country's currency is being floated, in the midst of debt.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 8:22pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
The results Is already showing at the forex market. You're just arguing unreasonably.

The naira could have keep on falling, and even be more than #1300/$ by now
No, i am arguing realistically not hopping or wishing unlike you. How much was it before now? You call 1300 progress?. grin

Post that forex market informations on here let's all read for ourselves. Don't keep speculating

You and I will remember this conversation hopefully by January 2024 when your naira will hit 3000 to $1

Good luck!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Elon Musk Says Risk Of Him Being Assassinated Is 'Quite Significant' / Naira Drops To 313.5 As Dollar Shortage Persists / My Arrest Had No Ethnic Undertone – Innocent Chukwuma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.