Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,342 members, 7,829,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog (20844 Views)

CBN Releases $500m To Clear Verified FOREX Backlog / CBN May Not Clear FOREX Backlog — Report / Old Notes Circulation: CBN Begins Monitoring Today, Banks Set Two-week Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by bennyflipy(m): 8:29pm On Nov 02, 2023
gbemishile:

Ure crying and wailing too much on a man who isnt regarded as ur president.
I just tire.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by nedekid: 8:29pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:
People who bought dollar above N1k to hoard are about to lose massively.
Let's hope so. The important thing is let naira appreciate massively. How can I buy pounds at 1450?
For over 16 years it was below 240. Infact 1m got you 4k pounds, now 1m cannot get you 900 pounds, no be juju be that?
This that bought as you said to "hoard" only did the rational thing to protect the value of their money. Nothing bad in that.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by LordAdam16: 8:31pm On Nov 02, 2023
grandstar:
My worry is whether there'll be forex to service new obligations.

What steps are the CBN and the finance ministry taking that new inflows of dollars come so as to fill up the foreign reserves to at least 3 months cover?

My worry is that the present loose monetary policy by the CBN will create a situation where demand for FX will always be greater supply.

It was either this or 1500 by middle of November.
Nigerians overwhelmingly demand cheap forex.
You could say their hands were forced.

About securing new dollar inflows, there's not much else that can be done.
Cutting the outflow by the refineries coming online would have been perfect.
Clearing this backlog should have a positive effect on FDI. But that wouldn't be immediate and it's too early to tell if that'd occur or to what degree.

-Lord

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by baralatie(m): 8:32pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:
I hope they aren't borrowing it or emptying Nigeria's foreign reserves to clear the backlog. Nigeria is struggling with FX, but the president plans to splash millions of dollars buying a yacht.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by VULCAN(m): 8:35pm On Nov 02, 2023
You know nothing about the game.

Nobody who buys and holds dollar can lose.

There are no fundamentals to back a permanently low exchange rate.

Nigeria has destroyed its SMEs so there are no tangible exports.

Crude is not enough as all of that gets siphoned by those in power.

No country can maintain its currency value without exporting more than it's importing.

None.

Under Tinubu dollar will get to N2k because he has no economic blueprint outside taxation and when the people can no longer earn what do you tax?

SocialJustice:

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by LordAdam16: 8:41pm On Nov 02, 2023
nedu666:

Oga abeg does it mean Nigeria is not making shishi from crude oil even at above $80 a barrel

Well, the reserves stopped shrinking mid October.
That'll obviously reverse after the latest intervention.

Our inflow from crude sales is fuzzy.
How much we're producing.
The discounts.
What percentage is earmarked for pending obligations (like the crude oil swap agreement).
All of those are hard to make out if you're not an insider.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by lionshare: 8:47pm On Nov 02, 2023
LordAdam16:

Well, the reserves stopped shrinking mid October.
That'll obviously reverse after the latest intervention.

Our inflow from crude sales is fuzzy.
How much we're producing.
The discounts.
What percentage is earmarked for pending obligations (like the crude oil swap agreement).
All of those are hard to make out if you're not an insider.

-Lord

You have no business discussing this topic if you do not know how much oil we are producing. There is nothing fuzzy about it our production has been marginally increasing for the past few months. Again you are pushing your opinion with no fact.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by seborrhic: 8:59pm On Nov 02, 2023
optimusprime2:

You have a solid point.
I detest Tinubu because see him as another utterly corrupt man hyped up by propaganda of lies about not just his educational history,but his capacity,but anyone residing in Nigeria,that does business and earns income in Nigeria,should not wish that the horrifying depreciation in the value of the ₦ continues and would so wish that Tinubu revives the economy.
The effects,even at this ₦1000/$1 are already devastating all round.What happens if it continues getting worse!
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by OYEDIPE(m): 8:59pm On Nov 02, 2023
LordAdam16:

They leaked to the press that they'd receive funds this week from foreign lenders and start clearing the backlog.
They made this inaccurate disclosure because they had to stem the drop in the parallel market.

If this week had ended without any action on the backlog, it'd have led to a surge next week.
That's why they're tapping into the reserves.
Preliminary reports state they took out $1B.

I guess they'll stagger it every two weeks or thereabout until they receive the funds which they'll then use to plug the leaking reserve.
Meanwhile the downward pressure on rates will hold.
Ensuring a near-term band of 900-1100.

All of this is contingent on those funds coming in before the end of the year.
If they don't, we'd have a negative net reserve and rates will crash with a vengeance.
It'd have been great if the Dangote Refinery had commenced gasoline refining.
But while it may yet kick off before the end of the year. It'll take a while to ramp up.
Most of our crude is earmarked for export to secure prized $.

The CBN is trying to restore belief and confidence in their capacity to meet institutional obligations.
To that end, this is helpful.

-Lord
A very good analysis.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by LordAdam16: 9:00pm On Nov 02, 2023
lionshare:

You have no business discussing this topic if you do not know how much oil we are producing. There is nothing fuzzy about it our production has been marginally increasing for the past few months. Again you are pushing your opinion with no fact.

I ignored you the first time.
Please avoid me.

If I ask you to tell me how much NNPCL sent to the Federation Account last month as crude oil net income, you'll start stammering.

That's how you asked the stupid question about the leak that put inflow of the borrowed funds to start this week. There it is in black and white. https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/10/27/fg-moves-to-securitise-nlng-dividends-for-7bn-cash

If you're ignorant, try to seek out information independently. Not become a public irritant.
I'm not responsible for your education. You're a grown man.

Now if you'll excuse me...

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by OYEDIPE(m): 9:01pm On Nov 02, 2023
lionshare:

Maybe he is one of those speculators causing artificial surge in value of dollar as against naira.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by OYEDIPE(m): 9:02pm On Nov 02, 2023
VULCAN:
You know nothing about the game.

Nobody who buys and holds dollar can lose.

There are no fundamentals to back a permanently low exchange rate.

Nigeria has destroyed its SMEs so there are no tangible exports.

Crude is not enough as all of that gets siphoned by those in power.

No country can maintain its currency value without exporting more than it's importing.

None.

Under Tinubu dollar will get to N2k because he has no economic blueprint outside taxation and when the people can no longer earn what do you tax?

Time will tell.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by OYEDIPE(m): 9:05pm On Nov 02, 2023
seborrhic:

I detest Tinubu because see him as another utterly corrupt man hyped up by propaganda of lies about not just his educational history,but his capacity,but anyone residing in Nigeria,that does business and earns income in Nigeria,should not wish that the horrifying depreciation in the value of the ₦ continues and would so wish that Tinubu revives the economy.
The effects,even at this ₦1000/$1 are already devastating all round.What happens if it continues getting worse!
Continue detesting. Rather, strategize on how to adapt into the new economic reality.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 9:06pm On Nov 02, 2023
Calitoscassius:
No, i am arguing realistically not hopping or wishing unlike you. How much was it before now? You call 1300 progress?. grin

Post that forex market informations on here let's all read for ourselves. Don't keep speculating

You and I will remember this conversation hopefully by January 2024 when your naira will hit 3000 to $1

Good luck!
it was almost crossing over #1320 before, but now is falling. The government is on track, I hope they keep on the good work

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by obi58: 9:07pm On Nov 02, 2023
Gajagojo:

It is better you stay silent

Foreign reserves are not savings as many of you ignorantly believe and they are not "spent"

It is simply beyond your brain powers
When you see the word RESERVES
You ignorantly think they are savings that can be spent

That is not the case

Once again just admit you do not understand the issues and be silent

When the CBN settles Forex obligations it is exchanging forex for Naira and NOT SPENDING it

The Naira is simply a debt of the CBN and foreign investors are holding NAira set at a certain exchange rate contract.

That is why it is called BACKLOG. People have a contract with the CBN to take back its Naira
at a fixed rate . The CBN does not have the dollars to take back its Naira and that is why the Naira is crashing.The reserves are CBN ASSETS while the Naira is a CBN LIABILITY
Th fear is foreign reserves cannot cover all the naira that the CBN has been printing the longer it takes to settle the higher the exchange rate

Read what you earlier wrote before this diatribe. Don't they contradict themselves?

It is the CBN that owns and keeps foreign reserves and so if the CBN is owing any backlog it will pay from its (The CBN's foreign reserves)

This is what you wrote.... So in trying to sound smart you ending up stupidly lecturing yourself about the foreign reserves. This is what happens when you write from a brain infused and eroded from excessive alcohol intake.

In one hand you claim CBN can PAY from their foreign reserves to cover backlogs then on the other hand claim that these are not savings that can be spent.

Take it easy on the alcohol. Drinkers are liable to die young.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Gajagojo: 9:08pm On Nov 02, 2023
obi58:

Read what you earlier wrote before this diatribe. Don't they contradict themselves?

It is the CBN that owns and keeps foreign reserves and so if the CBN is owing any backlog it will pay from its (The CBN's foreign reserves)

This is what you wrote.... So in trying to sound smart you ending up stupidly lecturing yourself about the foreign reserves. This is what happens when you write from a brain infused and eroded from excessive alcohol intake.

In one hand you claim CBN can PAY from their foreign reserves to cover backlogs then on the other hand claim that these are not savings that can be spent.

Take it easy on the alcohol. Drinkers are liable to die young.
What is the contradiction?
Your problem is gratuitous belligerence and illiteracy
The CBN is redeeming its paper/debt(Naira) by exchaging dollars for naira

Kindly educate the forum HOW that is spending?
Entities like Emirates Airlines hold billions of Naira on forward contract that the CBN is contracted to redeem based on a futures contract at a specified rate
I am not here to educate you about futures contract or how reserves work

You don't know and should keep quiet

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 9:18pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
it was almost crossing over #1320 before, but now is falling. The government is on track, I hope they keep on the good work
I asked how much it was last year. From how much it was last year to 1320 that is progress? Yea! the government are really on track grin grin on track to destruction and oblivion
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Menclothing: 9:20pm On Nov 02, 2023
Sell your dollars now
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 9:22pm On Nov 02, 2023
Calitoscassius:
I asked how much it was last year. From how much it was last year to 1320 that is progress? Yea! the government are really on track grin grin on track to destruction and oblivion
How much it was last year does not matter.

Focus on the thread or create your own thread about how much it was,last year

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 9:37pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
How much it was last year does not matter.

Focus on the thread or create your own thread about how much it was,last year
Oh! It doesn't matter? grin i am not surprised at your ussual response, it is always the same redundant response, if it is not the topic is not about it, it is it doesn't matter or create your own thread. grin grin always hopless response.

Please, don't tell me what to do or what thread i should focus on or how i should comment. I don't take orders from you, last time i checked this site doesn't belong to you. If you cannot answer my question that is fine, but don't disrespect me, i have not disrespected you since this silly arguement between you and I.

How much it was last year may not matter to you but it matters to me and other people.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by JOemmy(m): 9:47pm On Nov 02, 2023
This might be true I noticed the naira appreciated in binance p2p trading today. But how sustainable is this is another thing entirely.

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Teenaira: 10:00pm On Nov 02, 2023
Hez143:
sell dollar now!!

Why would you continue to beg the saboteurs, let them continue to warehouse dollars, soon and very soon they will meet their Waterloo.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by loswhite(m): 10:23pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:

Every competent government works hard to grow its foreign reserves, not spend from it. If former presidents who came before Tinubu started spending that money, what would have Tinubu met?

Oops! I guess he didn't promise Nigerians anything; he's only enjoying his turn and has hired tons of online scallywags to defend his rascality.
Kolo. You don’t even know what a forex reserve is...lol. it is meant for balance of payment.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by commoditiesnig: 10:50pm On Nov 02, 2023
Excellent development
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by obi58: 11:07pm On Nov 02, 2023
Gajagojo:

What is the contradiction?
Your problem is gratuitous belligerence and illiteracy
The CBN is redeeming its paper/debt(Naira) by exchaging dollars for naira

Kindly educate the forum HOW that is spending?
Entities like Emirates Airlines hold billions of Naira on forward contract that the CBN is contracted to redeem based on a futures contract at a specified rate
I am not here to educate you about futures contract or how reserves work

You don't know and should keep quiet

If you're positing that the CBN fulfils it's fx backlogs from the same foreign reserves that you say it is not spending.

Will you keep quiet?
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Mustack: 11:10pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:

That will be there reward for predicting bad for a grrat nation like Nigerian
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by haybhi1(m): 11:10pm On Nov 02, 2023
LordAdam16:

Please avoid me.

If I ask you to tell me how much NNPCL sent to the Federation Account last month as crude oil net income, you'll start stammering.

That's how you asked the stupid question about the leak that put inflow of the borrowed funds to start this week. There it is in black and white. https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2023/10/27/fg-moves-to-securitise-nlng-dividends-for-7bn-cash

If you're ignorant, try to seek out information independently. Not become a public irritant.

-Lord

Lord Adam, I've been your keen follower for a long time, and never doubted your stances.

My own question is I bought $ at 1161 with hope to see this rise, slept and woke to see it depreciate to 900, and now it's back to 1024. What do you advise, chief? Sell or hold.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Candidate004: 1:55am On Nov 03, 2023
M
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by lionshare: 2:47am On Nov 03, 2023
LordAdam16:

Please avoid me.

-Lord
Here is a link to oil receipts in September 2023

https://businessday.ng/energy/oilandgas/article/nigerias-crude-oil-revenue-soars-by-%E2%82%A6274bn-in-september-on-improved-output/?amp=1

I asked for a source of your acclaimed leak you provided an article which reference a public statement by the president. Perhaps you need to read through the article; how on earth is a statement credited to the president still a leak?

Referring to me as ignorant is quite ridiculous but as long as it does not reduce my bank account it’s just tantrums.

Since you’re the learned one kindly provide proof of a leak that does not reference the president. I mean can you call a public statement by policy makers a leak days after their statement.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 3:25am On Nov 03, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Oh! It doesn't matter? grin i am not surprised at your ussual response, it is always the same redundant response, if it is not the topic is not about it, it is it doesn't matter or create your own thread. grin grin always hopless response.

Please, don't tell me what to do or what thread i should focus on or how i should comment. I don't take orders from you, last time i checked this site doesn't belong to you. If you cannot answer my question that is fine, but don't disrespect me, i have not disrespected you since this silly arguement between you and I.

How much it was last year may not matter to you but it matters to me and other people.
k
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by LordAdam16: 4:43am On Nov 03, 2023
lionshare:

Here is a link to oil receipts in September 2023

https://businessday.ng/energy/oilandgas/article/nigerias-crude-oil-revenue-soars-by-%E2%82%A6274bn-in-september-on-improved-output/?amp=1

I asked you to tell me the exact amount NNPCL remitted to the Federation Account.
You're giving me a shitty, inaccurate estimate.

We don't sell our crude at the exact average brent crude price.
That figure you shared does not account for PSC deductions.
It also does not account for oil swap liabilities or other obligations of the NNPCL.

You just take figures at face value and go on the offensive without understanding what it is you're talking about.

NNPCL resumed remittances to the Federation Account in June of this year after 18 months of zero remittance.
https://www.thecable.ng/nnpc-payment-of-n123bn-to-faac-shows-were-moving-in-right-direction

That's what I'm asking for.
Tell me what they remitted for September 2023.

I asked for a source of your acclaimed leak you provided an article which reference a public statement by the president. Perhaps you need to read through the article; how on earth is a statement credited to the president still a leak?

Do you have trouble understanding the English language?
Read that writ again and identify who said the loan funds will be disbursed this week.

-Lord

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Gajagojo: 7:30am On Nov 03, 2023
obi58:

If you're positing that the CBN fulfils it's fx backlogs from the same foreign reserves that you say it is not spending.

Will you keep quiet?

What is the backlog?
Do you know?
What is a futures contract?
Instead of politely asking for enlightenment you are exhibiting villager stubbornness
How is exchanging dollars for Naira SPENDING?
What you don't know you don't know .
Do not come online to argue blindly and stupidly
Investors came into this country with their dollars and took naira from the CBN which entered a contract to guarantee an exchange rate for exit
All said the bottom line is that the foreign reserves belong to the CBN those are its assets and they are not enough to cover its liabilities(naira) that is why the Naira is under pressure

FOREIGN RESERVES DO NOT BELONG TO GOVERNMENT BUT THE CBN

ALL NAIRA IS SIMPLY A DEBT OF THE CBN if you own any naira then the CBN owes you and big players who don't think the. CBN will pay seek to exit the Naira zone to the dollar zone

The Dollar is also A DEBT of the US Teasury
It is really stupid to enter an argument on the basis of strong head when you are so obviously ignorant

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Naira Drops To 313.5 As Dollar Shortage Persists / My Arrest Had No Ethnic Undertone – Innocent Chukwuma / Elon Musk Warns Low Birth Rates May Lead To Population Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.