Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,224 members, 7,829,372 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog (20838 Views)

CBN Releases $500m To Clear Verified FOREX Backlog / CBN May Not Clear FOREX Backlog — Report / Old Notes Circulation: CBN Begins Monitoring Today, Banks Set Two-week Target (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Geovanni412(m): 6:10pm On Nov 02, 2023
Yourprick:
them go hear m I swr 🤣🤣

So, they said about those that bought at 680 then 860...

See where we are now, rejoicing over 1k dollar to naira.

Things will change substantially once we get our export game on point...everything else is a stop gap measure.

11 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by fatboyslym007: 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
SoNature:

Every competent government works hard to grow its foreign reserves, not spend from it. If former presidents who came before Tinubu started spending that money, what would have Tinubu met?

Oops! I guess he didn't promise Nigerians anything; he's only enjoying his turn and has hired tons of online scallywags to defend his rascality.

I think you should study these before commenting, economics and dynamics of foreign reserves, debt servicing, currency rate dynamics, the meaning of forex backlog and it's effects.

ChatGPT would enlighten you on these. Thank you.

8 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by optimusprime2(m): 6:21pm On Nov 02, 2023
seborrhic:

Even in the most developed countries,central banks intervene in the currency market when it starts spiralling out of control.
If the government and CBN don't intervene in the market,at the rate the ₦ is sliding,by January or April next year,we might be looking at $1 to ₦3000!

You have a solid point.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 6:23pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
This should have a positive effect on the naira. I pity Nigerians who bought dollars above 1k.
Yea right! You can only keep hopping, nothing wrong with keeping up hopes. grin

Go and find out for yourself how much dollar is.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by SoNature(m): 6:25pm On Nov 02, 2023
fatboyslym007:

I think you should study these before commenting, economics and dynamics of foreign reserves, debt servicing, currency rate dynamics, the meaning of forex backlog and it's effects.

ChatGPT would enlighten you on these. Thank you.

Sorry, I won't. Believe whatever you like. Someone like myself built ChatGPT from neutral feedback.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 6:27pm On Nov 02, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Yea right! You can only keep hopping, nothing wrong with keeping up hopes. grin

Go and find out for yourself how much dollar is.
You can't expect to start seeing the effect immediately. Dollar is presently selling below 1200/$. I and other Nigerians hope it gets better

5 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 6:28pm On Nov 02, 2023
Geovanni412:

So, they said about those that bought at 680 then 860...

See where we are now, rejoicing over 1k dollar to naira.

Things will change substantially once we get our export game on point...everything else is a stop gap measure.
Don't mind these goons, some of them have never exchanged 1 dollar before, let them go find out for themselves how much dollar exchanged today.

They are not even excited about the so called naira appreciation, they are rejoicing in sheer believes that people will lose money, more like envy and hatred.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by wanimo: 6:29pm On Nov 02, 2023
Gajagojo:
Ypu clearly don't understand what is gping on and you have zero understand what foreigh reserves are

That is patently obvious

There is nothing like "Nigeria's foreign reserves"

It is the CBN that owns and keeps foreign reserves and so if the CBN is owing any backlog it will pay from its (The CBN's foreign reserves)

will you keep quiet and stop spewing rubbish.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 6:30pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
You can't expect to start seeing the effect immediately. Dollar is presently selling below 1200/$. I and other Nigerians hope it gets better
So you said.

As i said, nothing wrong with keeping up hope. If only hope works practically.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Lonepair1: 6:31pm On Nov 02, 2023
Hello .
If you wish to learn or become profitable trading the financial market(Forex ) .
Kindly send me a DM
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by grandstar(m): 6:32pm On Nov 02, 2023
My worry is whether there'll be forex to service new obligations.

What steps are the CBN and the finance ministry taking that new inflows of dollars come so as to fill up the foreign reserves to at least 3 months cover?

My worry is that the present loose monetary policy by the CBN will create a situation where demand for FX will always be greater supply.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 6:32pm On Nov 02, 2023
Calitoscassius:
So you said.

As i said, nothing wrong with keeping up hope. If only hope works practically.
Base on the intervention of the CBN, naira is no more falling badly. If the money the FG is expecting starts coming in and the Dangote refinery starts working, naira will keep on strengthening against the dollar.

10 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by zionstaar75: 6:33pm On Nov 02, 2023
optimusprime2:
At this rate...

By January 1usd may equal 2000NGN

You can't tell me that this clearance is not made from foreign reserves... in the midst of all the debt.

I'm not sure this one even finished secondary school

11 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by blacksam01: 6:36pm On Nov 02, 2023
LordAdam16:

They leaked to the press that they'd receive funds this week from foreign lenders and start clearing the backlog.
They made this inaccurate disclosure because they had to stem the drop in the parallel market.

If this week had ended without any action on the backlog, it'd have led to a surge next week.
That's why they're tapping into the reserves.
Preliminary reports state they took out $1B.

I guess they'll stagger it every two weeks or thereabout until they receive the funds which they'll then use to plug the leaking reserve.
Meanwhile the downward pressure on rates will hold.
Ensuring a near-term band of 900-1100.

All of this is contingent on those funds coming in before the end of the year.
If they don't, we'd have a negative net reserve and rates will crash with a vengeance.
It'd have been great if the Dangote Refinery had commenced gasoline refining.
But while it may yet kick off before the end of the year. It'll take a while to ramp up.
Most of our crude is earmarked for export to secure prized $.

The CBN is trying to restore belief and confidence in their capacity to meet institutional obligations.
To that end, this is helpful.

-Lord

@lord, law is law, u cant deep hands into foreign reserve without the consent of the senate..its naija's money and not presidency money..so tinubu by doing such even if it meant well has committed an impeachable offence...

again, FG being the main supplier of FX into a country madly in need of it is just a jimmick nd cant hold the pressure on the local currency " the naira" down for so long...

the country needs to pet talk firms like naija international banks nd big multinationals like dangote international to please bring their hard earned FX home to hrlp FG solve the problem of FX supplies

the dangote refiniery will indeed help reduve pressure but only at the demand side.nd this may not b at a significant level...

the economy is on a free fall nd at a very difficult stage..tinubu ought not be appointing very bogus cabinet or announing very financially reckless lifestyle..

truth is tinubu is too engrossed with politics we need an economy very concious leader..not him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Teepresh2: 6:36pm On Nov 02, 2023
Let me go and sell all my dollar o🏃🏃🏃
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 6:37pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Base on the intervention of the CBN, naira is no more falling badly. If the money the FG is expecting starts coming in and the Dangote refinery starts working, naira will keep on strengthening against the dollar.
Yes, more wishes and hopes, if, if and more if. Dangote will perfom magic. grin

We wait for that day! Meanwhile??

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by obi58: 6:38pm On Nov 02, 2023
Gajagojo:
Ypu clearly don't understand what is gping on and you have zero understand what foreigh reserves are

That is patently obvious

There is nothing like "Nigeria's foreign reserves"

It is the CBN that owns and keeps foreign reserves and so if the CBN is owing any backlog it will pay from its (The CBN's foreign reserves)

Kai don't say what you don't know.

Which CBN foreign reserves? Is CBN now an independent body?

Can CBN spend a dime of the foreign reserves without approval? If the FX deficit was the problem why has CBN not just debited the FX reserves all this while to flood the market? Why is the FG securing a $10bn loan to meet its matured FX obligations then?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 6:39pm On Nov 02, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Yes, more wishes and hopes, if, if and more if. Dangote will perfom magic. grin

We wait for that day! Meanwhile??
Yea, we are already seeing the positive results already

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Hakeem66: 6:39pm On Nov 02, 2023
I bought $5k at 1090, I will not panic because it's going to rise again.i will buy again if it drops again because am targeting ,$15k.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 6:41pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Yea, we are already seeing the positive results already
Show me proofs of the positive results please? The price of a bag of cement is still 6500 naira today. grin

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Ikaeniyan0: 6:42pm On Nov 02, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Show me proofs of the positive results please? The price of a bag of cement is still 6500 naira today. grin
This thread is not about the price of cement

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 6:42pm On Nov 02, 2023
Hakeem66:
I bought $5k at 1090, I will not panic because it's going to rise again.
Don't panic man! December it will hit 2500 naira if not more.

4 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by lionshare: 6:43pm On Nov 02, 2023
LordAdam16:

They leaked to the press that they'd receive funds this week from foreign lenders and start clearing the backlog.
They made this inaccurate disclosure because they had to stem the drop in the parallel market.

If this week had ended without any action on the backlog, it'd have led to a surge next week.

I guess they'll stagger it every two weeks or thereabout until they receive the funds which they'll then use to plug the leaking reserve.

If they don't, we'd have a negative net reserve and rates will crash with a vengeance.
But while it may yet kick off before the end of the year. It'll take a while to ramp up.

The CBN is trying to restore belief and confidence in their capacity to meet institutional obligations.

-Lord

You claimed CBN leaked the news to the press yet the both BAT & Wale Edun mentioned it during the NESG event recently. How is that still a leak?

How do you know for certain that the anticipated funds are yet to come in? Please provide proof otherwise you are only assuming! Why are you implying your personal assumptions to be fact??

1 Like

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Gggjhhj: 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2023
Hakeem66:
I bought $5k at 1090, I will not panic because it's going to rise again.i will buy again if it drops again because am targeting ,$15k.
Q
Country fit good forever, lol
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Braveryy(m): 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2023
It's obvious.

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Hakeem66: 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2023
Calitoscassius:
Don't panic man! December it will hit 2500 naira if not more.
yes for sure.
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Teepresh2: 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2023
Naira Keep Appreciating: Dollar Rate Today , November 2, 2023 https:///naira-keep-appreciating-dollar-rate-today-november-2-2023/
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by ivolt: 6:44pm On Nov 02, 2023
SocialJustice:
Novice People who bought dollar above N1k to hoard are about to lose massively.
The only news that matters is whether the government has started earning more dollars.
Since the answer is no, then the "hoarders" only need to wait.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 6:48pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
This thread is not about the price of cement
You always argue against yourself grin grin you claimed you are seen the positive result of the naira appreciations i ask you for proofs, gave you an example with the price of cement. You carefully avoided providing proofs and then tries to divert the to the same line, "this thread is not about the price of cement" grin

Fine, show me the proofs of the positive outcome that you claim to have seen. grin forget cement price, high food and commodities prices

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by skultrick(m): 6:52pm On Nov 02, 2023
Yourprick:
Goan sell those $$$, Naira appreciating to 1k hopefully 900 before year end

What app is this?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by AngelicBeing: 6:53pm On Nov 02, 2023
LordAdam16:

-Lord
Gbamsulotely, end of thread, Succinctly put and spot on tongue
Re: CBN Begins To Clear FOREX Backlog by Calitoscassius(m): 6:53pm On Nov 02, 2023
ivolt:

The only news that matters is whether the government has started earning more dollars.
Since the answer is no, then the "hoarders" only need to wait.
Country that rellies on the value of dollar has no hope. As you have rightly asserted, all they have to do is wait till the inevitable happens. grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Elon Musk Says Risk Of Him Being Assassinated Is 'Quite Significant' / Naira Drops To 313.5 As Dollar Shortage Persists / My Arrest Had No Ethnic Undertone – Innocent Chukwuma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.