Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,563 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) (47785 Views)

Man Shows The Outdoor Camp Occupied By Hundreds Of Nigerians In Dublin (video) / List Of Nigerians Who Own Private Jets / JAPA: 10 Sets Of People Who Shouldn't Travel To The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Offpoint1: 7:09pm On Nov 09, 2023
tshtsh:

Haha that's what one Prof I know use to say. Today he is retired on a less than $500 a month pension and struggling. Just thank God for what you have and leave this pride talk. People change their location for different reasons and has nothing to do with broke or not being broke.
My friend Yusuf left NNPC to go work at Lloyd's registers in Scotland. Later he moved to Saudi to work as an engineer in Aramco. He has paid up his mortgage in UK and is making good cash. By your standard Yusuf was broke and not doing well in Nigeria.
Did Yusuf had upto 5b before he left?

I dey talk of men you dey talk of salaries earner. Japa na for salaries earners na.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by DeepSight(m): 7:20pm On Nov 09, 2023
gforce5:
I noticed a thread on[b]"10 sets of People Who Shouldn't Travel To The UK".[/b] I found it interesting and decided to create my own version. I am an immigration lawyer who just came back from an IBA (International Bar Association) Conference. As a member of the immigration committee, we discuss immigration issues. Immigration is as old as time and inevitable. I don't have issues with Nigerians emigrating for "greener pastures" after all, I did the same thing as a teenager thanks to my folks and encourage many others to do so. What I do have a problem with are the categories of people emigrating abroad to start all over. The list is as follows:

1. Big earners/those who are at the top of their career: It doesn't make sense for someone who earns millions a month to abandon that in the name of JAPA. The chances that you will earn the equivalent to what you are earning in Nigeria is slim. You have to start all over again as no country is going to hire you over their own nationals.

2. People approaching 50 and above. I was insulted some time ago whenI stated that if you must Japa abroad, you should do it when you are young. While there are quite a few over 40s who have been able to re-establish themselves, there many more who have struggled to get back on their feet. The job market is a young person's market.

3. Politicians. These category of people make too much money to desire to move to another country. The system in Nigeria was designed to cater to their very whelms.

4. Small scale/large scale business men. If you have a thriving business, it doesn't make sense abandoning your business just to start over in another country. Don't get me wrong, there are many countries are looking for business men to invest in their economy. In the UK, they fall under the category of investor visas.

If you are a Senior Lawyer, Bank Manager, Senior Surgeon, Senior Chartered Accountant, you are most likely at the peak of your profession in Nigeria and very likely earning a decent amount of money that places you in the elite. It makes no sense for these category of people to emigrate and start all over again.

There you have it. Everybody else has the right to leave the country as it's not working but it doesn't make sense for the above-mentioned class of people to JAPA abroad (at least, outside Africa) as they have a lot to lose.

"Japa abroad" is a tautology.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by phemmyfour: 7:36pm On Nov 09, 2023
gforce5:
I noticed a thread on[b]"10 sets of People Who Shouldn't Travel To The UK".[/b] I found it interesting and decided to create my own version. I am an immigration lawyer who just came back from an IBA (International Bar Association) Conference. As a member of the immigration committee, we discuss immigration issues. Immigration is as old as time and inevitable. I don't have issues with Nigerians emigrating for "greener pastures" after all, I did the same thing as a teenager thanks to my folks and encourage many others to do so. What I do have a problem with are the categories of people emigrating abroad to start all over. The list is as follows:

1. Big earners/those who are at the top of their career: It doesn't make sense for someone who earns millions a month to abandon that in the name of JAPA. The chances that you will earn the equivalent to what you are earning in Nigeria is slim. You have to start all over again as no country is going to hire you over their own nationals.

2. People approaching 50 and above. I was insulted some time ago whenI stated that if you must Japa abroad, you should do it when you are young. While there are quite a few over 40s who have been able to re-establish themselves, there many more who have struggled to get back on their feet. The job market is a young person's market.

3. Politicians. These category of people make too much money to desire to move to another country. The system in Nigeria was designed to cater to their very whelms.

4. Small scale/large scale business men. If you have a thriving business, it doesn't make sense abandoning your business just to start over in another country. Don't get me wrong, there are many countries are looking for business men to invest in their economy. In the UK, they fall under the category of investor visas.

If you are a Senior Lawyer, Bank Manager, Senior Surgeon, Senior Chartered Accountant, you are most likely at the peak of your profession in Nigeria and very likely earning a decent amount of money that places you in the elite. It makes no sense for these category of people to emigrate and start all over again.

There you have it. Everybody else has the right to leave the country as it's not working but it doesn't make sense for the above-mentioned class of people to JAPA abroad (at least, outside Africa) as they have a lot to lose.
You are wrong with no 2. Age doesn't matter to them in abroad when it comes to job opportunities

2 Likes

Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by blackboy(m): 7:48pm On Nov 09, 2023
Good points. Professional however I strongly disagree with point 2. In Nigeria if you are in your 40s or 50s for you to get job is like you ain't got a prayer. Even the young ones find it hard to get work. But abroad, be you 60 and ready to work you will get work sharp sharp. I know a woman graduated never worked in Nigeria. I'm sure she has applied everywhere no employment. As she japa she got work sharp sharp. Very happy woman now.
All the other points I agree. E easy but also not easy.
Nigeria just needs to have the law working but hmmm ......
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by thaqib(m): 8:06pm On Nov 09, 2023
JA - Escaping to just anywhere without any plan.... Just escape....

JAPA - Escaping with the intention of not retuning

JAPADA - Leaving with no plan of returning but realised in the foreign land things are not rosy, and take the initiative and courage to return.. Bi iwaju O ba see lo, eyin a see pada si.

JAPADAWA - Leaving with the intention of returning and returning as and when due to further develop the home-front according to plan....

For me, if you want to japa
Japa wisely!
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Godsongang: 8:30pm On Nov 09, 2023
Japa ke? You dey whine me, we go gather see the made in china of this country (Nigeria).

As I dey so na to gather make the billions for this Nigeria either legal or illegal we die there.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Godsongang: 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2023
Japa ke? You dey whine me, we go gather see the made in china of this country (Nigeria).

As I dey so na to gather make the billions for this Nigeria either legal or illegal we die there.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by tshtsh: 8:43pm On Nov 09, 2023
Offpoint1:

Did Yusuf had upto 5b before he left?

I dey talk of men you dey talk of salaries earner. Japa na for salaries earners na.
Who are these men ? Do you have 5b as you call it ? What percentage of Nigerians have 5b ? By your estimation men are those who have 5bn or more while those working to make a living are subpar. Let people be as the sun shines on people differently. For some its hot and unbearable hence they move elsewhere. Femi Otedola spends more time in europe than Lagos. Chaugoury lives in Paris and visits Lagos from there. Oladeinde Fernandez lived in Brussels till his death. The earth is the earth and people can live anywhere they are legally permitted to live in.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by drololaaof: 9:16pm On Nov 09, 2023
gforce5:

All your points are correct but the missing link is the security of the children . Before now if you train your child ,they get job either private public or self employed ,that is not possible again now , ALL we are hearing is no employment no vacancy yet they are recruiting their children into top jobs
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by FROGMAN101(m): 9:20pm On Nov 09, 2023
tshtsh:

Haha that's what one Prof I know use to say. Today he is retired on a less than $500 a month pension and struggling. Just thank God for what you have and leave this pride talk. People change their location for different reasons and has nothing to do with broke or not being broke.
My friend Yusuf left NNPC to go work at Lloyd's registers in Scotland. Later he moved to Saudi to work as an engineer in Aramco. He has paid up his mortgage in UK and is making good cash. By your standard Yusuf was broke and not doing well in Nigeria.

You are wasting your time making a point or two to lazy Nigerianist going through shege in that country, managing 5mb midnight sub to surf Nairaland.

These same set of people are so mentally and physically lazy and won’t contribute anything to society but are the first to use Android phones made by the whites.

All they do is f u c k and bring children they can’t take care of and the whole cycle repeats.

“He say you can knock your neighbor’s door to beg for maggi” imagine the thought of a Nigerian man in 2023? Imagine?

I put it to you that these same people are always disturbing people abroad for money. Always begging and complaining about how things are rough in Naija

The guy Offpoint1 even said poor people are the ones traveling. That made me laugh considering the bulk load of money you need to leave Naija. Lmao.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by standfit007: 9:30pm On Nov 09, 2023
Leave op to be yarning dust and telling people how they should live their lives. How can a “rich” guy go to where he would be asked to account for his wealth directly and indirectly? They don’t care and they are lawless and no consequences for bad behaviors, so they would rather stay back and visit and return because they can’t truly work their wealth. We care too much about age in this country and that is why unnecessary pride and resultant penury is dealing a lot a blow. Wealthy?who are the “saintly” wealthy in Nigeria if not “money miss road” or “some cheats” or “some lawless lots who loot and perpetuate and reshare the loot”. Everything is enough to go start all over where there is health care…appendicitis won’t kill you, women don’t cheaply die during birthing, you won’t bother about power supply not internet connection but about how to control your consumption of same, relative security of life and properties, value for lives…human and animals, law and order to a substantial extent, nearly round peg in a round hole in govt systems, government with a listening ear and adopting same is relatively high, elections are issue based and not careless and wanton killings and intimidation, no lawless drivers, no Keke and Okada and even the Mumu Uju as minister who has the effrontery to spend wantonly on useless Keke as an empowerment for women…in this age of industrialization and automation and countless crafts to truly have economy value and to the society and tax system, no bad roads, Christians and moslems looking for miracle’s and juju men flourishing because we don’t have basics of life…if you check what these sets offer they are actually never far from basics of life that working countries have settled for their nationals…if these people get to working countries they would have no one to patronize them, arts and crafts have a good playing ground for anyone to thrive, etc. You can only be scared or cower to this your advice if you are the “get rich quick type” or I want to go to the abroad to build mansions and estates in my village or back home. This your talk is 0 over %1000…shift abeg with this, guy
ednut1:
Remove senior chartered account. KPMG, PWC, EY,BDO, and the other audit firms are filled with Nigerian accountants who were hired directly from Nigeria. People wey dey collect 400 to 600k monthly in Nigerian audit firms enter Uk to collect 46k to 65k pounds per year. Which starting all over be that

You are earning well but you dont have peace of mind, your company or business is suffering from trial and error govt policies, health care is shitty. Why do you think they wont japa
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by tshtsh: 9:33pm On Nov 09, 2023
FROGMAN101:

You are wasting your time making a point or two to lazy Nigerianist going through shege in that country, managing 5mb midnight sub to surf Nairaland.

These same set of people are so mentally and physically lazy and won’t contribute anything to society but are the first to use Android phones made by the whites.

All they do is f u c k and bring children they can’t take care of and the whole cycle repeats.

“He say you can knock your neighbor’s door to beg for maggi” imagine the thought of a Nigerian man in 2023? Imagine?

I put it to you that these same people are always disturbing people abroad for money. Always begging and complaining about how things are rough in Naija

The guy Offpoint1 even said poor people are the ones traveling. That made me laugh considering the bulk load of money you need to leave Naija. Lmao.

Lol it was just hilarious reading Offpoint1's comment.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by standfit007: 9:33pm On Nov 09, 2023
What is good paying job?in our country please. even if you earn so comfortably, you would see reasons to regret being in this country as you drive the roads, until one of family members is kidnapped, or fall ill, or you are robbed, how do you survive in midst of hungry and frustrated fellow citizens, etc Moreso,when one visits other working countries, it would glaring that in the next 50-100 years, Nigeria can’t develop to 1/4 of those countries. It is sad thing!
Nevverio:
People with good paying jobs
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Godwin25king: 9:53pm On Nov 09, 2023
Correct
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by CoronaVirusPro: 10:13pm On Nov 09, 2023
Beolly:

But Nigerians in UK are not resorting to yahoo and hook up to earn a living in the UK or are they?

grin grin grin

Seems you are a JJC in UK
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Beolly(m): 10:17pm On Nov 09, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

grin grin grin

Seems you are a JJC in UK
I'm not in the UK, maybe you can tell me. But I know things can't be that bad to rely on hook up for survival.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by adecz: 10:17pm On Nov 09, 2023
Someone making N700k a month in
Nigeria is better of than a person making
£3000k (N4m equivalent)/ month in UK.

Out of this £3k, an average house may
cost £800 (N1m/ month).

Transportation £300 (N500k).

So, wetin come remain after tax, utilities,
feeding, car maintenance, school fees etc❓

You make the money their and the system
collects it back immediately.

This is why, in order to survive there, you
must turn yourself into jaki ( donkey), holding
different jobs at the same time. To
save na wahala.

1 Like

Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by CoronaVirusPro: 10:18pm On Nov 09, 2023
Beolly:

I'm not in the UK, maybe you can tell me. But I know things can't be that bad to rely on hook up for survival.

Thought as much!

Yahoo boys and runz girls are READILY available just like Naija.

Even in the USA, fraudsters and hook-ups are available.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by pansophist(m): 10:39pm On Nov 09, 2023
Every Nigerian, no matter how wealthy, is just one calamity away from being dead. Nigeria is a country where structural barriers will render your wealth useless. I will give some examples.

You are cruising in your SUV, feeling fly, and then one container falls on you, how will you magically avoid it because you are a rich man? Strangers rushed you to the hospital, but the doctor needs a police certificate, and a cash deposit before starting treatment.

Even if you have the money, you are in pain, and your family is not there to perform the transaction. In the midst of it, your life is hanging because of structural barriers.

Even if you perform the transaction instantly, the competence of the doctors comes into question. You may find yourself being sent from hospital to hospital, with each ripping you off before sending you to the next.

Until this thing happens to you or someone you know, you may still think money is everything in life. And all that I wrote is for those that have money, not those that don't.

If you want to know how useless money is, take your million dollars and try to save yourself from a lion's jaw, and see if your money can do shit. It's the same formula with wealth and a broken society. Your money is not very useful in that system because it lacks the ability to convert your money into something worthy.

You have money to pay for healthcare but the quality is near zero. Okay, how about education? you have to send your kids abroad for that. You bought luxury cars but the roads are shit. Are you even happy seeing impoverished people everywhere?

Money is only as useful as the society you are in.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by ndidibabe(f): 10:41pm On Nov 09, 2023
planetx:
Dumb Nigerians spending N15 million and above to go study in some mushroom UK university that even state universities in Nigeria are better than, just to brag they are in oyinbo country.
Can you mention a mushroom Uni in UK at a level of a state uni in Nigeria.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by ndidibabe(f): 10:47pm On Nov 09, 2023
adecz:

Someone making N700k a month in
Nigeria is better of than a person making
£3000k (N4m equivalent)/ month in UK.

Out of this £3k, an average house may
cost £800 (N1m/ month).

Transportation £300 (N500k).

So, wetin come remain after tax, utilities,
feeding, car maintenance, school fees etc❓

You make the money their and the system
collects it back immediately.

This is why, in order to survive there, you
must turn yourself into jaki ( donkey), holding
different jobs at the same time. To
save na wahala.
With all you have mentioned, this 3k £ earner can comfortably save between at least 700£ monthly.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Beolly(m): 11:17pm On Nov 09, 2023
CoronaVirusPro:

Thought as much!

Yahoo boys and runz girls are READILY available just like Naija.

Even in the USA, fraudsters and hook-ups are available.
But can never be as bad Nigeria, Yahoo and hook up is a pandemic here among the jobless graduate.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by CoronaVirusPro: 11:22pm On Nov 09, 2023
Beolly:

But can never be as bad Nigeria, Yahoo and hook up is a pandemic here among the jobless graduate.

True
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Noblemanonpoint: 11:37pm On Nov 09, 2023
Beolly:

As long as they don't resort to yahoo and hook up to survive over their it's fine.

There's yahoo (scams) and prostitution abroad as well.
It all depends on your perspective.

As a Nigerian, going abroad is best for vacation not to stay.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Gerrard59(m): 12:16am On Nov 10, 2023
ednut1:
46k after tax is 35,000 lets use your calculations. How many of them were saving 10 to 13m while in Nigeria?

Web2020,

Please, what is your reply to this analytical post?
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by 00a1: 12:59am On Nov 10, 2023
Offpoint1:
grin You don see any big man wey wan japa? na we the poor masses wan JAPA. Richmen na vacation dem dey go, highest 1 month, I know some wey no fit spend 2 weeks outside Nigeria.

Japa is for broke or average people.

Nothing go make me wan japa leave my papa land, land of many wereys, land of cruise, land of fun, land of better food, land of women with big bakasi. Land wey if your maggi finish you fit knock neigbor door borrow, land wey I fit comot my prick piss beside person car grin, land of freedom.

Naija na dey best country for this world, Nigerians no get wahala and dem dey look out for each other.

NAIJA FOR LIFE

you are funny, going to Canada to study for a 2 years program now cost approximately 80,000 dollars tuition living expenses and accommodation.

thats arpproximately 70million naira.

do you have that in your account?
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by jimcaddy(m): 2:10am On Nov 10, 2023
Honestly you're absolutely correct but the truth is that some people will still disagree with you here. I trust some Nigerians. There is nothing you will tell them about this Japaa thing that they will listen. In their mind, they believe that once you get abroad, you will automatically make it in life. It's until you get there before you know what's up. I tell them, life is not as rosy as you think it is. Infact Nigeria is even way better. If not that Nigeria is in a mess as it is, this country has the potential to be a great nation to live in. But the problem with Nigeria is Nigerians
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Gerrard59(m): 2:13am On Nov 10, 2023
ednut1:
most of the people they take are senior and manager levels. The ones in partner and director levels usually stay but their families are abroad 😆

So even partners in top firms domicile their families abroad?

Interesting to know.

1 Like

Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Gerrard59(m): 2:17am On Nov 10, 2023
gforce5:
P.S., as previously stated, I am not against JAPA. In fact, the middle class and the working class have every right to JAPA. Nigeria is not working for them. What I am against, are those who are doing extremely well in Nigeria and decided to leave their jobs, sell their assets, properties and close their business in the name of emigrating abroad for "greener pastures". It is better for these people to secure a second passport via citizenship by investment. With a second passport, they can travel out of the country whenever they want. Always consult an immigration lawyer before making hasty decisions.

CIB is not cheap, sir. Also, the UK, for instance, has been withdrawing visa free access privileges from some of these countries. In the future, CIB will be only available in developed countries. After all, that is the reason such schemes exist - offering a means to travel to developed countries easily. A businessman based in Nigeria has to generate X3 of his revenues to meet the minimum fees circa $150K due to the devaluation of the naira. Meanwhile, spend five years at most in a developed country, get the passport and return to Nigeria.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by emmybobo1: 2:20am On Nov 10, 2023
na2016:

Number 2 alone is trash cos most other countries don't check age per se for jobs.
Infact in Chicago here na so so middle age me and above I Dey see for office. If you are a professional and you are above 40 believe you me you can travel and still make it big time

1 Like

Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by Gerrard59(m): 2:22am On Nov 10, 2023
sharpman1:

I don't know about the UK but this your list does not apply to the United States of America (USA).

Numbers 1, 2 & 4 will generally do better and earn more if they migrate legally to the US than staying in Nigeria. Only number 3 (politicians) are better off staying in Nigeria because the only way they know how to make money is through connections and stealing public funds.

That is another issue. People are viewing japa from the UK lens. The US remains the best place to migrate to as a black person, hustler, student or professional.
Re: Categories Of Nigerians Who Shouldn't JAPA Abroad (especially UK) by loswhite(m): 2:24am On Nov 10, 2023
gforce5:

Go and sleep. The internet always makes clown think they are expert

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Of The Survivor Of The Trailer Accident In Ojuelegba Yesterday / Nigerian Navy Rescues Ghanaian Fishermen In The Ocean Near Dangote Port, Lekki / Ejiro Onobrakpor: "My Mother, A Foodseller In Ajegunle Now Lives In America"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.