Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. (29053 Views)

I Upgraded My Headlights To LEDs / 5 Times You Should Dim The Headlights Of Your Car – VIS / Toyota Improves 2018 Camry’s Headlights, Automatic Braking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Whatisurproblem(m): 2:03pm On Nov 12, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Many know, but don't care about other road users. They seem to derive joy from oppressing other road users.

Same with abuse of horns.
there should be rules against "Thunder ⚡ and Ogun Fire you statement during driving in Nigeria too
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by overboard(m): 2:04pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
Greetings everyone, I've been driving for over a year now and I've noticed we don't know how to use headlights in this country even my friend that visited from the US complained same thing.
I don't know if it's selfishness or what but how will someone be on very high beam even when opposite an incoming vehicle, I almost entered a ditch because an SUV beamed on my small Corolla to the point I couldn't even see properly, are there rules set for all these in this country?
God's willing if I don't leave this country within the next 2 years I'm getting a bigger vehicle and I will purposely install massive led lights I will be counter beaming people till they notice their mistake.

So true.

You are supposed to be sensitive and empathetic to others when driving. Use full lights only when necessary for better vision or as a tool to warn others to sim theirs if the full lights are not necessary…

I actually have a friend who, as a habit, would park and leave his lights on which potentially blinds an oncoming stationery vehicle. If for any reason you wish to have your parked vehicle visible for some reason, use parking lights and if you feel your parking is potentially hazardous, use your hazard lights

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Prenonjebose: 2:04pm On Nov 12, 2023
Op, I also suffered this oppression so much when I was using my former Nissan car. Now, my vehicle has fitted light extra light. I normally dim my light, especially when there are oncoming vehicles in all these single lanes. But the moment you keep your full headlight focused on me, then, I return your generosity

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Badadvisor: 2:10pm On Nov 12, 2023
crackhouse:
They want too see far away obstacles before they approach them.
Yeah the pot holes and everything. Bad driving habit tho
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by uuzba(m): 2:11pm On Nov 12, 2023
This is why Driving Lessons are very important.
I don't know about US, but in UK, they will fraustrate the hell out of you during your driving lessons and tests.
I knew people who failed the test 2, 3, 4, 5 , 6 times and kukuma just GAVE UP learning to drive and use public transport instead.
In that way, ONLY good drivers that know ALL the driving rules/laws, drive on their roads.
The rest, stubborn people, go and use public transportation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by uuzba(m): 2:16pm On Nov 12, 2023
Graciousnaija:
1. Blame the FRSC who have turned themselves into a revenue generating agency instead of focusing on safe driving awareness.
2. Apart from select places in Lagos for example, how m any road have functional street light? Ijede road street lights only came on at the evening of its commissioning because somebody in government will not do his or work.
3. Being accustomed to driving with full beam started long ago because even when you try to correct drivers, they get angry and curse you out.
Nigeria is a sad nation.
Police that should uphold the law is also deprived of proper salaries.
That way, any small bribe you show them, they will collect it and forget about the law.
Same with other officials.
They are given a duty, but no government support to help them do the duty.
Government then concern themselves with buy jeep and yatch and leave the people to cry and complain about everything 24/7.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by steeltrust: 2:20pm On Nov 12, 2023
I experienced it so many times
The thing is

Lot of Nigerian don’t go to driving school
They just learn from one roadside mechanic or anybody and then go get a driver license

I don’t blame them
The govt kept the loopholes so they are been taken advantage of

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by youngrichnigga: 2:22pm On Nov 12, 2023
Your end comment shows you're not any better than the Nigerians you're castigating.......and your level of driving experience also shows you're still a novice on the road.
Have you ever driven on the Shagamu-benin expressway at night, where you have to have your headlight on full beam not by choice but by necessity? I guess No.
So calm down and learn more, a year's driving experience in the city is still a learner on highway driving. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Bidmaster(m): 2:25pm On Nov 12, 2023
Sapeleboy911:

BMW is even worse than Mercedez in my area. If PH no get parts then na Lagos. You will park your car for days waiting for parts. Only for the mechanic to do trial and error when the parts finally arrive.
I have a trusted BMW & Range Rover part dealer in Port Harcourt, no fear BMW, I once drove a BMW X3.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Greattha: 2:26pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
Greetings everyone, I've been driving for over a year now and I've noticed we don't know how to use headlights in this country even my friend that visited from the US complained same thing.
I don't know if it's selfishness or what but how will someone be on very high beam even when opposite an incoming vehicle, I almost entered a ditch because an SUV beamed on my small Corolla to the point I couldn't even see properly, are there rules set for all these in this country?
God's willing if I don't leave this country within the next 2 years I'm getting a bigger vehicle and I will purposely install massive led lights I will be counter beaming people till they notice their mistake.

Na Ame you take dey conpare 9ja?

IMO The first thing is pure ignorance
Second thing is the constant need to oppress the next man.
Most Nigerian drivers are mad...you're to consider yourself the only sane person on the road 😁
Most people now install Chinese foglamps for counter-actions and to actually see well because some roads in some places in Nigeria are dark and terrible...as the factory ones aren't enough...meanwhile, this is against roadsafety law.

When everyone, even the government that's supposed to keep things sane is mad, you must survive so I don't blame your decision.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by jesustheissue: 2:31pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
I feel for you too, I'm glad some like you can be found in our midst. Sometimes when I'm really pissed off at our inconsiderate and selfish drivers, I deliberately pushback with the full lights of the Hilux pickup I drive to let them have a taste of their terrible behavior. It's obvious lots of the driving public never really went to any proper driving school where traffic rules are taught in conjunction with the driving proper

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by oxiide22(m): 2:33pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
you answer yourself at your last paragraph, most people do it out of revenge like the way u want to do
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Mayflowa(m): 2:34pm On Nov 12, 2023
Dim headlamp is used for driving. Flashlight is only used in situation of a dark lonely road with no on-coming vehicles. This ought to be traffic law in Nigeria where violators are fined. This is what oyibo do to maintain sanity on road.

But Nigeria's roads are not good. No streetlight, no markings, and probably laden with potholes. I can literarily drive most roads in US with the assurance that there is no falling into potholes. So things are definitely wrong in Nigeria. Either authority don't know or don't execute.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by MrAmaechi(m): 2:34pm On Nov 12, 2023
As long they can see. The other rules don't matter

Cooolme:
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Harnny(m): 2:35pm On Nov 12, 2023
I would not blame the drivers... nights in nigeria can be darker and there are hardly any street lights and reflective road markers coupled bad road with mad potholes. I had to get used to it in the uk as well as you can drive all through m1 without a gallop. So you have no reason to switch on your fog light in order to see the future of your road.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Sapeleboy911(m): 2:37pm On Nov 12, 2023
Bidmaster:
I have a trusted BMW & Range Rover part dealer in Port Harcourt, no fear BMW, I once drove a BMW X3.

BMW's issue for me isn't only mechanics or parts the most challenging part of German rides is second hand value. Offloading them for a reasonable price is very difficult, Unlike their Japanese counterparts.

A friend bought a 2012 3-week Nigerian used Toyota Corolla for 4.6M 4 months back. Can you believe the price tag on that same car now is around 7M? That is almost impossible with a German ride. I choose Mercedes over BMW twice on a Sunday.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Besto(m): 2:39pm On Nov 12, 2023
Sapeleboy911:

BMW is even worse than Mercedez in my area. If PH no get parts then na Lagos. You will park your car for days waiting for parts. Only for the mechanic to do trial and error when the parts finally arrive.

On God
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by RevenuesBoost(f): 2:39pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

I already have bad night vision that I don't think I would want to drive a car at night.

My husband does the driving, I notice this too.

The bright lights doesn't Just affect the drivers but the pedestrians as well.
Especially if you aren't with a touch on a dark rough road.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Abbeytoy(m): 2:41pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

You should rather orientate people on this your observation instead of adding to it.

Most Nigerians are ignorant and we don't have much of an education/enlightenment engagements. So I will ask you to use your social media to teach people the right things to so.

I believe one or two people will learn from you

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by ozijay: 2:42pm On Nov 12, 2023
This is irrelevant, some ppl can't see clearly and need light shining like the sun to avoid accident. It's not as if u support it but it's something that can't be changed unless automakers that's why most recent car come with led lights with auto focus that shines directly on the ground few metres away from the car not upwards.
Cooolme:

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by stacyadams: 2:42pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

Na people wey dey flash me light I no dey answer them..u see the other useless ones wey dey press horn hup han Dan I no dey even answer those ones
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Swiftgrp: 2:43pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
Regular eye check ups are very important too for all vehicle drivers in order to quickly detect and manage poor day or night eye vision.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by GreatAchiever1: 2:47pm On Nov 12, 2023
Una wey dey talk driving school, me wey manage go one small driving school like that, dem no tell me anything concerning headlights.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by SavageResponse(m): 2:47pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

No mine will just serve as a correction not revenge, something like a flash. Saw it on a video.
If the drivers don't learn they will, the hard way.

I think it basically has to do with ignorance on the part of the drivers
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by CJStarz: 2:47pm On Nov 12, 2023
Na yahoo boy dey drive dat SUV,na their way.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by 12inchess: 2:51pm On Nov 12, 2023
Yinmu. In the Americans state where I stay, it's the same thing. Everyone has their full or high beam on. It's not the right thing but you too better put your full beam on otherwise you won't see anything

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by optimusprima: 2:53pm On Nov 12, 2023
What's the correct thing and sequence?
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by obaidan: 2:54pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

No mine will just serve as a correction not revenge, something like a flash. Saw it on a video.
If the drivers don't learn they will, the hard way.
You don't know one of the consequences is increased likelihood of crash. You give am high beam , e runs into you, weytin u gain.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by chymeze: 2:55pm On Nov 12, 2023
You ended up making a complaint without making any meaning or sense. After making such complaint you should have ended up by telling us what the right way to use a headlight is. But you never told us what you understand or know to be the right way to use a headlight. Thus, making your post a little senseless
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by nanauju(f): 2:58pm On Nov 12, 2023
casualobserver:

Forget headlights, Nigerians do not know how to drive period. They hug the fast lane, they have no lane discipline, they don’t know how to use roundabouts you will see learner drivers and their students in the left lane, so they are taught to be lawless.

As for headlights, if you want to be stopped by the police in the UK just put on your full beam.

Having said that, Most Nigerian low beams can’t see anything at night because their headlamps have been oxidized and have turned yellow and opaque and majority of Nigerians do not know it can be fixed to look and work like new

https://youtube.com/shorts/r6L7wdSiuJ4?si=0hyG1Brkie_hmb7K

Pls where can one get this kit in Lagos or where in Lagos do they offer this service. I weep for my headlight embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates? / Misuse Of Power By Some Vehicle Insurance Officers. / How To Sit In A Car Without Back Pain (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.