Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:36 AM

Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. (29068 Views)

I Upgraded My Headlights To LEDs / 5 Times You Should Dim The Headlights Of Your Car – VIS / Toyota Improves 2018 Camry’s Headlights, Automatic Braking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Shedrack777: 5:20pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
Greetings everyone, I've been driving for over a year now and I've noticed we don't know how to use headlights in this country even my friend that visited from the US complained same thing.
I don't know if it's selfishness or what but how will someone be on very high beam even when opposite an incoming vehicle, I almost entered a ditch because an SUV beamed on my small Corolla to the point I couldn't even see properly, are there rules set for all these in this country?
God's willing if I don't leave this country within the next 2 years I'm getting a bigger vehicle and I will purposely install massive led lights I will be counter beaming people till they notice their mistake.
the bolded is what all of them have in mind just like you before they put theirs. you either do what you say or endure it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:56pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

No mine will just serve as a correction not revenge, something like a flash. Saw it on a video.
If the drivers don't learn they will, the hard way.
They still wont learn😏 most of them don't even know wat d doin wrong...
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by emmyN(m): 5:57pm On Nov 12, 2023
jaszplus12:

The art of teaching driving is no longer as it used to be
Now anyone jumps into the driving seat takes off and when night falls he uses the lights that are bright enough to see not knowing that there are ethics to the use of lights!
Even driving behind another person you should dip your lights until you over take and is driving on a freeway without traffic coming on the other side! Once another car is approaching the ethic is to again dip your lights until he passes!
Many drive with the full lights to oppress the opposite driver, others don't even know why it's there!
Unless the ethos are brought back the trend will surely continue!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Bluffly: 5:58pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
Greetings everyone, I've been driving for over a year now and I've noticed we don't know how to use headlights in this country even my friend that visited from the US complained same thing.
I don't know if it's selfishness or what but how will someone be on very high beam even when opposite an incoming vehicle, I almost entered a ditch because an SUV beamed on my small Corolla to the point I couldn't even see properly, are there rules set for all these in this country?
God's willing if I don't leave this country within the next 2 years I'm getting a bigger vehicle and I will purposely install massive led lights I will be counter beaming people till they notice their mistake.
No street light and most do not see with the full beam too. Tell your government to illuminate the road and you will see less of it
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by emmyN(m): 6:00pm On Nov 12, 2023
123readygo:
Lol…
Buy an SUV and save yourself the complaint…
I was in your shoes till I bought Rx 350, bros, even those wicked trailer drivers respect themselves when the headlights are full

Until they ram into you because you've rendered them blind! undecided
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Originalsly: 6:01pm On Nov 12, 2023
ThatCEO:

If you feel I am too slow while on a fast lane, it is because you are going over the official highway speed of 100kph. And I usually prompt them with my hand to driver around me, as I am not leaving this fast lane except for a really intimidating convoy.

The fast lane is for overtaking.... not cruising. The speed limit is not hard and fast ... written in stone. If the posted speed limit is 100km/hour.... and you are driving at 100km/hr ... you can be charged for driving too slow if the other vehicles are driving at 120km/hr ... that's the flow . "Go with the flow."

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Bluffly: 6:02pm On Nov 12, 2023
ogmask:

The mechanics are not just bad they are grossly incompetent. Most new cars, especially German and American, are above their knowledge level.
They are bad as they do not pursue excellence in what they do
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Originalsly: 6:02pm On Nov 12, 2023

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by vincenteger: 6:03pm On Nov 12, 2023
samuelson06:

When you see an oncoming vehicle reducing their own, simply do same. They reduce because your own is disturbing their view so they expect you reduce your own too.

When you pass them you can set yours high again.

Other times, they may flash you meaning there could be danger ahead of you.

Thank you sir
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by ogawisdom(m): 6:21pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

Ordinary Keke will put light everywhere and oppress a car on the road. It is not funny at all but I have upgraded my light to match them

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by casualobserver: 6:29pm On Nov 12, 2023
nanauju:

Alright. Many thanks

No worries. It doesn’t cost much either. I think it was about N2k or N3k It’s been a few years since I did any of my cars but I am sure It was less than n5000 then, if that.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by PystalDavidson: 6:32pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
God's willing if I don't leave this country within the
next 2 years I'm getting a bigger vehicle and I will purposely install massive led lights I will be counter beaming people till they notice their mistake.

I can totally relate, same thing made me change the headlights in my accord to a special bulb that’s super bright and white. God bless Uchenna for selling that bulb to me, with that I can withstand any suv light without shaking.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Quebec91(m): 6:33pm On Nov 12, 2023
wink
immortalcrown:
That habit is very bad. But you don't seem to be different. Your life won't get better when you plan to promote bad things in the name of revenge.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Nemesis08(m): 6:38pm On Nov 12, 2023
High beam is normal for night driving, I think what you mean is people using the fog lights which is meant for foggy and rain weather

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by avidleo: 6:53pm On Nov 12, 2023
How many with drivers license know the details of Nigeria highway code

Cooolme:
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Maxitomxane(m): 7:10pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

This is one issue my Dad complains bitterly about.
Headlights are meant to be used at Night or During Poor visibility situations like Foggy weather.
The right position of the headlights should be pointing downwards not directly horizontal.
As if it pointing directly isn't enough, Some Idi*ts or ignoramus Nigerians will shine the light at full power blinding other road users even pedestrians even in the Evening when it isn't dark.

Maybe when we get a 100K lumen headlight and shine it at idiots always shinning their full headlight when driving, Everyone will have sense. grin grin
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by frog12: 7:14pm On Nov 12, 2023
streetlight no dey work so people put on high beam but e fit blind ooo. blame government

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by frankson1(m): 7:43pm On Nov 12, 2023
immortalcrown:
That habit is very bad. But you don't seem to be different. Your life won't get better when you plan to promote bad things in the name of revenge.

Here in PH, they only have sense when I revenge and I think some drivers do this on purpose thinking their bulbs are brighter until I turn on mine and keep it on even when they dim theirs.

The worst set of drivers are those that park their cars with full lights on.

I don't even want to talk about drivers who don't know when and how to use the car horn.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by frankson1(m): 7:48pm On Nov 12, 2023
frog12:
streetlight no dey work so people put on high beam but e fit blind ooo. blame government

Obviously you don't drive because if you do you'd have known that this is just "common sense" and it doesn't have anything to do with government.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by REALretep(m): 7:50pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
If our roads weren't so bad, I don't think many drivers will be driving with full beam.
When I started driving on the highway, I used to be cautious not to drive using full beam until the day I entered a pot hole that punctured my tire which I would have seen if I was on full beam.
Since that day, unless I'm driving on a very familiar road at night, I use full beam

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Spizzy1: 8:12pm On Nov 12, 2023
Since over a year ago I started driving abroad, I have only used my full beam light not more than 20 minutes on a high way. Although there's street light everywhere except that portion of the interstate high way probably because it's not a busy road or because the two lanes were widely separated, and full beam wouldn't pose a danger to an incoming vehicles.
In Nigeria, how many of our streets have functional street lights?
Wickedness in Africa is overwhelming brother. Although the law here prohibits people to use full beam when they are less than 200m away from any vehicle at the front or approaching vehicle.
In Nigeria, people use head lamps to oppress each other.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by marlow1962(m): 8:24pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
First of all you should ask "how many Nigerians know what's called high beam and low beam" most of the people you see in the street are educated illiterates. Worst many of them don't know how to use the turn signal and it's a very big disgrace.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Timagex(m): 9:14pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

I hear this a lot, there's this mad BMW I'm eyeing but fear of bad mechanics dey turn me off.

Bmw cars are special gifts from God to men. 😎
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Babsolala: 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

I find it quite annoying when people recklessly use full beam at night.

But about your plans.. What if...just what if some of the people who do that are actually carrying out "counter beam" because it was done to them before?

An eye for an eye would someday leave the world blind.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by tete7000(m): 10:08pm On Nov 12, 2023
GanagiBitrus:
Many know, but don't care about other road users. They seem to derive joy from oppressing other road users.

Same with abuse of horns.

Horn needs to be used very well sometimes on Nigerian roads if you want to stay alive. Many crazy, stupid and senseless drivers exist on Nigerian roads. The only thing that keep them alive is sound of horn. I took a chartered vehicle to Oghara sometimes ago. When we left Agbor, I noticed the driver wasn't using his horn probably assuming Nigerian drivers are sane and I warned him to use his horn, he didn't heed my warning. We left, Benin by pass was doing like 120km/hr when one korope dashed across our path with us heading straight for a head on collision with it. The driver to avoid the stupid driver dashed into the bushy media at that speed, we had a very scary bumpy drive before our driver tried to return to the expressway but overshot the expressway and landed us in the bush before coming to a stop. We were lucky to avoid a fatal accident, extremely lucky no vehicle was coming as we dashed across the expressway on top speed.
After the whole incidence. I told the driver that I warned him to make use of his horn but he didn't answer me. If he had blared his horn as he saw the stupid korope driver coming out, we wouldn't go through the ordeal we went through. When I drive on Nigerian roads particularly the expressway I used the horn very well to ward off many careless and silly drivers on the road. Inside the town, the keke drivers too won't use their heads except you harass them with the horn.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by GanagiBitrus: 10:13pm On Nov 12, 2023
tete7000:

Horn needs to be used very well sometimes on Nigerian roads if you want to stay alive. Many crazy, stupid and senseless drivers exist on Nigerian roads. The only thing that keep them alive is sound of horn. I took a chartered vehicle to Oghara sometimes ago. When we left Agbor, I noticed the driver wasn't using his horn probably assuming Nigerian drivers are sane and I warned him to use his horn, he didn't heed my warning. We left, Benin by pass was doing like 120km/hr when one korope dashed across our path with us heading straight for a head on collision with it. The driver to avoid the stupid driver dashed into the bushy media at that speed, we had a very scary bumpy drive before our driver tried to return to the expressway but overshot the expressway and landed us in the bush before coming to a stop. We were lucky to avoid a fatal accident, extremely lucky no vehicle was coming as we dashed across the expressway on top speed.
After the whole incidence. I told the driver that I warned him to make use of his horn but he didn't answer me. If he had blared his horn as he saw the stupid korope driver coming out, we wouldn't go through the ordeal we went through. When I drive on Nigerian roads particularly the expressway I used the horn very well to ward off many careless and silly drivers on the road. Inside the town, the keke drivers too won't use their heads except you harass them with the horn.
This is another angle to it. Valid point though.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by saasala(m): 11:44pm On Nov 12, 2023
SpaceAngel:

That's what happens when our street lights don't work or non existent. Your friend from US should have noticed this too. No street lights, pot holes, and other hazards and you now have to drive with low beam. How many meters will the person clearly have good visibility.?

That's the genesis of people using high beam here.

System is totally messed up and people also don't go to driving school before getting licence too

You took the words out of my mouth.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by ibinaboonline: 11:57pm On Nov 12, 2023
I feel you, bro
Cooolme:
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by oyeb15: 5:25am On Nov 13, 2023
Trailers use just one single bike light in d center front at night.

Maybe it's for security reasons . Ones I spot a single headlight approaching me at deep night , I give it total space cos I know it's going to be a long vehicle.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by prophetfire: 1:41pm On Nov 13, 2023
Cooolme:
Most people with driving license didn't pass through proper way to get it.
No law enforcement on stupidity on the way, so people behave as they like.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by chival(f): 7:45pm On Nov 14, 2023
Cooolme:
This is why I don't drive at night. My vision is not so good to begin with. When you add to that the harsh glare of headlights from oncoming vehicles, it becomes almost impossible to see especially on roads without demarcation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Sit In A Car Without Back Pain (Photos) / Cars And Their Parents Countries.... / Is It Illegal To Repaint My Fading Vehicle Number Plates?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.