Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,707 members, 7,816,908 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. (29059 Views)

I Upgraded My Headlights To LEDs / 5 Times You Should Dim The Headlights Of Your Car – VIS / Toyota Improves 2018 Camry’s Headlights, Automatic Braking. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by ogmask: 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

I hear this a lot, there's this mad BMW I'm eyeing but fear of bad mechanics dey turn me off.

The mechanics are not just bad they are grossly incompetent. Most new cars, especially German and American, are above their knowledge level.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by okechuks22: 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
Greetings everyone, I've been driving for over a year now and I've noticed we don't know how to use headlights in this country even my friend that visited from the US complained same thing.
I don't know if it's selfishness or what but how will someone be on very high beam even when opposite an incoming vehicle, I almost entered a ditch because an SUV beamed on my small Corolla to the point I couldn't even see properly, are there rules set for all these in this country?
God's willing if I don't leave this country within the next 2 years I'm getting a bigger vehicle and I will purposely install massive led lights I will be counter beaming people till they notice their mistake.
Nigeria is animal kingdom oga

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Blackdisciple(m): 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2023
I will purposely install massive led lights I will be counter beaming people till they notice their mistake

I love this, i have noticed this in Lagos roads many times.
There was a day I am in our official vehicle transporting my thing to my newly rented apartment " Na just a roomself" no reason am but large kitchen, so this vehicle beam the headlight to the level that I was not seeing my front meaning the driver in vehicle was not seeing his front too, our tundra have this crazy LED headlight I asked him to increase his headlight omoh even me for our vehicles couldn't stand the headlight no body tell the other vehicles opposite to reduce his headlight sharp sharp he reduced it oo , we did that for him to reduce his headlight then later take ours to normal.

What you did was the right thing because if you feel you should do such you might end up in a ditch and he will go without knowing what he has caused , I fault that brother telling you what you did makes you no different from the said person. Vehicles in Lagos are good at doing that everyday not just highway even inside street like you will see and notice that they don't care imagine parking on a road side were you saw many men sitting and refuse to deam or put off your headlight until they wave at you or voice out at you to put off your headlight pointing at them.....

What you did was justifiable....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by casualobserver: 3:14pm On Nov 12, 2023
nanauju:

Pls where can one get this kit in Lagos or where in Lagos do they offer this service. I weep for my headlight embarassed

Anywhere you see body repair/spray booths or will have someone lurking around who does this.

The only problem is they do it by hand so the result isn’t perfect and usually doesn’t last more than a year. But it will be a lot better than what you have.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Error401: 3:17pm On Nov 12, 2023
I suffered so much because of this headlight problem. I automatically go blind when faced by a car. I bursted two tyres because one stupid driver beamed at me and I cant see at all. I vowed never to drive at night anymor

Cooolme:
Greetings everyone, I've been driving for over a year now and I've noticed we don't know how to use headlights in this country even my friend that visited from the US complained same thing.
I don't know if it's selfishness or what but how will someone be on very high beam even when opposite an incoming vehicle, I almost entered a ditch because an SUV beamed on my small Corolla to the point I couldn't even see properly, are there rules set for all these in this country?
God's willing if I don't leave this country within the next 2 years I'm getting a bigger vehicle and I will purposely install massive led lights I will be counter beaming people till they notice their mistake.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by samuelson06(m): 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2023
vincenteger:
Please enlighten us on how to use headlamp
Many of us don't know

When you see an oncoming vehicle reducing their own, simply do same. They reduce because your own is disturbing their view so they expect you reduce your own too.

When you pass them you can set yours high again.

Other times, they may flash you meaning there could be danger ahead of you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Nobody: 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2023
Put full light for my eyes, I put full lights for your eyes. E no too hard. End of discussion.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by MrNipplesLover(m): 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2023
The OP is right...

It annoys me seeing drivers engaging in such driving habit...

Me as person, I don't like using my HB lights...

No matter where I dey go, my LB lights all the way... It's even good for training ur vision..

There was a time a friend of mine was driving us to a Bar near his street, driving with his full lights on...

When I corrected him that the lights will be distorting the visions of those driving opposite our direction, him said experienced drivers no supposed dey look directly into other car's lights, I just wire am a hot slap on his back neck from behind... sad

So, na u wey on ur full lights get experience abi? undecided

Ur head is not correct... Na so I tell am...

Some of those driving on our roads didn't go to a driving school, na padi padi learning they did from their friends...

Sometimes, I would feel like coming down from my car and blast any driver wey dey on full lights when u see say u dey light someone else's vision... sad

Abi brain dey pain dem ni?

Illiterate drivers everywhere...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Money2000: 3:18pm On Nov 12, 2023

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by erico2k2(m): 3:21pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:
If everyone puts thier lights on Auto problem solved. I put mine on Auto, once there is no car coming and its dark tull beam comes on, once there is a car coming it Automatically deeps. In some countries to drive with full beam is a traffic violation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Oomardesigns: 3:28pm On Nov 12, 2023
I never travel outside Nigeria but i use to complain about this. I don't know why we behave this way

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by InvertedHammer: 3:29pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

/

Headlights?

Do they know how to use horn? cool

/
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by neighbourhud: 3:34pm On Nov 12, 2023
Originalsly:

The "German machines" are not cheap to maintain... and they do need contant maintenance.... no tolerance . If you find a good mechanic ... he will burn holes in your pocket ... a bad one will just make the car useless. Toyota has a reputation for reliability and is maintaining that status.... the reason Toyota is the #1 brand in auto sales worldwide. Think about it .... Lexus (Toyota's luxury brand) is the one competing with Mercedes and BMW which are luxury brands. The Toyota Camry is not a luxury vehicle. Brand new ... a Camry sells wayyy less than a BMW or a Benz ... buy over the years the value of the Camry drops wayyyy slower than both. Why?

On point
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by gungab(m): 3:35pm On Nov 12, 2023
Like this

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by gannod(m): 3:35pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

Most of them are not mentally balanced. Even some bikemen do that too. I remembered a bike man who did it to me in Ado Ekiti, I delberated faced him, he shouted at the top of his voice before I stopped. I told him why I did that and he was speecless. It is not compulsory you drive at night, if you know you are not sure about what to do with the headlights.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by ThatCEO: 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2023
Hedonisco:
What the hell are you yapping about?

Most of our roads are pitch dark at night (no illumination with functional Street lights as is the case abroad). Also, most of our roads are riddled with unforeseen pot holes and other obstructions. Not everyone has 20/20 vision like a cat, so what do you expect? When driving on a typical Nigerian road without bright Street lights at night, my headlights are ALWAYS on full beam. It's just inevitable.

@ the OP Cooolme

High beam in Nigeria is NOT a show off or inconsiderate thing, it is a very important safety feature. Keyword here is Nigeria.

If I drive a better lit car, I will put it on full blast as well. It's a safety feature, not a flex.

Newer cars have a lights that are super bright but easy on the eyes of the upcoming vehicle. But since we all prefer 15 year old cars in Nigeria, this problem will solve itself by 2050.

Another thing is use of fast lane. I stay on wherever has d best patch of asphalt.

If you feel I am too slow while on a fast lane, it is because you are going over the official highway speed of 100kph. And I usually prompt them with my hand to driver around me, as I am not leaving this fast lane except for a really intimidating convoy.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by nanauju(f): 3:36pm On Nov 12, 2023
casualobserver:

Anywhere you see body repair/spray booths or will have someone lurking around who does this.

The only problem is they do it by hand so the result isn’t perfect and usually doesn’t last more than a year. But it will be a lot better than what you have.

Alright. Many thanks

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by TomiSwag(m): 3:37pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

The worst one is flickering/ throbbing lights. The blinking lights on bikes and tricycles is terrible

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by junketer(m): 3:39pm On Nov 12, 2023
Op, I used to complain about that anytime I visit Nigeria until I entered one huge pothole that nearly wrecked my venza. Now I am guilty of high beams while driving

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Whois(m): 3:42pm On Nov 12, 2023
What do you expect when the number of crazy drivers in Nigeria pass number of normal drivers. IMHO Most drivers use their full light for safety features.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Dzzzz: 3:45pm On Nov 12, 2023
We grew up with drinking garri so a lot of people are partially blind that’s why it’s on high beam.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by CaptainFM1: 3:49pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

See don't blame Nigerians. I thought the same way too when I came back from the UK. But I later realized that in the UK, the roads are already well lit and there are no pot holes.
If you drive with normal light or ignition light here in Nigeria, it might be more dangerous in some places some times, especially in places and roads you are not familiar with.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by jimmyvic(m): 3:55pm On Nov 12, 2023
Wrong use of headlight kept me on bed rest for about 10 months.

Most Nigerians don't go to driving school anymore. All you hear is 'fuel my tank with 10 litres make I go teach you for that primary school field but if you bash the car, you go pay'

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by litaninja(m): 3:59pm On Nov 12, 2023
How you seen the quality of your roads? How about the lack of highway lights? Security issues?
These things are cause and effect, you can't skip the basics.

Cooolme:

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by Tapout(m): 4:07pm On Nov 12, 2023
SpaceAngel:

That's what happens when our street lights don't work or non existent. Your friend from US should have noticed this too. No street lights, pot holes, and other hazards and you now have to drive with low beam. How many meters will the person clearly have good visibility.?

That's the genesis of people using high beam here.

System is totally messed up and people also don't go to driving school before getting licence too

Oga they still use full beam on lekki Express that is filled with Street light. At least I can attest to this. Maybe na the state wey you dey wey no get Street light.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by sonofthunder: 4:12pm On Nov 12, 2023
Cooolme:

You want to solve the problem by becoming a problem?

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by esemes256: 4:23pm On Nov 12, 2023
Education, education is the reason. Alot of people become drivers without going through proper training. The only way to correct these bad habits is by education and sensitization of the masses.

Ukraine that is at war obeys traffic rules better than the best place in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by MrSly(m): 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2023
immortalcrown:
That habit is very bad. But you don't seem to be different. Your life won't get better when you plan to promote bad things in the name of revenge.
Don't mind the guy. Is he not guilty of the same offence?
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by boladez(m): 4:29pm On Nov 12, 2023
There are tons of stuff we abuse on Nigerian roads

Lanes ..where people drive on lane markings, many do not understand the fast , slow or service lanes
Hazard lights ...where especially Lagos danfo drivers leave them on permanently
Headlamps you mentioned ...many do not know the difference between low and high beams and where to use them , no knowledge or etiquette on its use , even a parked can will have the full beams on, flashing lights stupidly and rudely.
Horns...most drivers use the horns to show and display madness

Reason is the fact that only few go through driving school and only few have knowledge of driving etiquette.

NO enforcement .....FRSC ,,police , VIO etc only focus on revenue generation and bribes.
No laws.

What should happen is for our executive to put laws in place and the enforcement should be strong. Revenging with stronger lights might put you in jeopardy and risk of a head on collusion. The problem is majorly lack of knowledge and selfishness.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by SmmithXsmmith: 4:41pm On Nov 12, 2023
We all know you are not supposed to use full beam but my brother, there is no street light in Nigeria. That’s the main reason, people will drive even without headlight if there are bright street lights
Re: Nigerians Don't Know How To Use Headlights. by fashrola(m): 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2023
123readygo:
Lol…
Buy an SUV and save yourself the complaint…
I was in your shoes till I bought Rx 350, bros, even those wicked trailer drivers respect themselves when the headlights are full

it's funny but DONT try this again... except you have a spare life at home, those guys are ready to ram into you and claim brake failure if you are even alive to listen to their fault

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Sit In A Car Without Back Pain (Photos) / Misuse Of Power By Some Vehicle Insurance Officers. / Cars And Their Parents Countries....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.