Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria (28132 Views)

Herbert Wigwe: Wigwe University Project (Video) / Herbert Wigwe Was Building "The Best University In Africa" For His People(Video) / Dangote To Establish A Private University In Abuja, Earmarks N200 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Berankis: 6:38pm On Nov 13, 2023
Which selfishly monopolistic Dangote? He is not worthy of mentoring anybody. Someone that hates competition and growth of others.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 6:49pm On Nov 13, 2023
RenaissanceGuy:
Students that would graduate and start looking for paid jobs or the ones that will put what they studied in practice, creating jobs in the process, just as it's in developed countries?? What Nigeria needs is not more universities, it's aggressive industrialisation. In fact, let's even begin with the easiest—agricultural industrialization, which can turn Nigeria into a developed country within 2r would then trickle down into other industrial sectors such as steel, shipbuilding, car, electronics manufacturing, etc. This is how countries such as the USA, China, Malaysia became what they are today!

Tell your politicians to tackle the Fulani herdsmen menace. No regular person will invest into a sector where Fulani herdsmen have the right to barge into people's farms and destroy their investments.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 6:56pm On Nov 13, 2023
DaddyJapan:

$500 million university? Okay, I have a bridge that connects Nigeria to France to sell.

Over the next five to ten years. It is possible. Covenant, or even the Atiku's University in Yola is worth more than that.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 6:57pm On Nov 13, 2023
seborrhic:

Is it today you knew Nigerians like floating superfluous figures to feel big and important?
In Nigeria a goverment official will tell you we are a country of 300m people and that in next 5 years the economy will be bigger than that of China and US combined.
Where is Wigwe going to source for $500m (₦500b)within 5 years or people think he would conjure up that amount from his pocket?

He is a businessman. Business people at a point don't invest with their money, but with other people's money.

1 Like

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 6:59pm On Nov 13, 2023
obaidan:

Honestly.....he should empower the jobless ones in the pool first so they can have the capacity to create ventures that will employ the ones in the university....u have that much money to invest...that's 500 billion naira, half of a trillion..... get 100,000 young business minded people with good ideas, 5m each to support their businesses........focus on tech, agriculture and production of items that can be exported

Tony Elumelu already does that. Others can do something else. When you make your money, do as you desire.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 7:01pm On Nov 13, 2023
obaidan:
at least if u need Access bank job, u know what to do

Yay! cheesy

Apart from a few state universities such as LASU, Gombe state and maybe RSU, Access does not employ outside first and second generation federal universities and private universities. So, I am dead sure this new school would be among approved universities to employ from.

1 Like

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 7:02pm On Nov 13, 2023
Abaman001:

Yes of course, it's in his home town in Ikwerre lga Rivers state..

That is nice. The region gets a reputable private university. So, those within its periphery can send their kids there instead of far-flung places.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 7:03pm On Nov 13, 2023
OfeAchi:
Someone should tell this nigga that we do not need another university in Nigeria.

How about he invests this funds into creating a mini power grid within a locality? A power grid with at least 20hrs daily supply.

OR funding already existing universities. Some brilliant minds are wallowing away due to lack of funds to support their research.

Unless, the dude is trying to launder funds with this new university. White elephant stuff. Same way Ebonyi State wasted funds in building an airport.

He is a business man. The university is expected to generate profits due to charging high fees, and maybe research collaborations. Ebonyi is a state government.

Apples to oranges.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 7:05pm On Nov 13, 2023
blowjohn:
500 million dollars for a school where the youths are already in the wrong state of mind.

What happened to giving out loans to everyone?

ow much will be the school fees( for all of u hailing him)
If u think a Nigerian will carry 500 million dollars to build a school where even u urself knows that no Plato or Albert Einstein will be made for nothing, then ur not thinking well.

Either the money is not his sweat or there is more to it.

Don't get it twisted, this is business not philanthropy. Please know the difference.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 7:09pm On Nov 13, 2023
Swiftgrp:

That's good to know. Being a Rivers State indigene, I assume Herbert Wigwe would want to set the world-class Uni over there in Rivers State. On the other hand, it could be in Lagos State since he is also professionally a Lagos big dude... A part of the original Guaranty Trust Bank employees who moved on to set up Access Bank.

I read years back how Herbert's father who was then a Nigerian military officer in Abeokuta survived being killed in the aftermath of the counter coup of 1966, and how he was tipped off by a colleague who asked him what he was still doing in the West when some of his military colleagues had relocated. He miraculously made it back with his nuclear family to their ancestral home town near the Port Harcourt area. It was a very fascinating story of survival and the triumph of the human spirit... I never forgot that interview.

Tola of GTB founded Daywaterman Schools in Ogun where he comes from. So, Wigwe is expected to site his in Rivers state.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 7:15pm On Nov 13, 2023
masseratti:
yes it is but with that money he can build a world class phone manufacturing.
Not assembly óò.. Manufacturing except the chip set factory, that will cater for Nigeria and other Africa economy.. Not only phone but phone accessories, and parts screen, eye piece, etc.

With that money he can have an oil. Plam plantation or cocoa seseme seeds, well it's his money tho.. And with 5 years scale up.. All he needs his his friends like 200 of them donating or buying $100m yearly... But that school will cost die..

There is nothing like a manufacturing factory for phones. Phones are assembled with parts from different manufacturers of those parts. So, a screen manufacturer is different from the battery manufacturer. Then, every part goes to the brand's assembling facility or authorised partner. Upon assembling, it gets shipped out. The same applies to cars. Cars are not manufactured but assembled.

Wigwe's source of wealth is from banking, and it is easier to venture into tertiary education than assembling electronics when there are fierce competitors in Asia. No country in Africa can out-do the East and now South East Asian countries in electronics production and assembling. Even the West cannot.

2 Likes

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by AlabiKILLER2021(m): 7:25pm On Nov 13, 2023
1TrippleCee:
God bless me with money. I also want to impact this world. Hit the like button to tap i to this prayer too

God bless me with money

I will employ you as my gate man
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by freemanq(m): 7:29pm On Nov 13, 2023
Nice one, but sir, we have enough university in Nigeria right now, what we need is industry for people to work thank you
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by sylve11: 7:29pm On Nov 13, 2023

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by sylve11: 7:36pm On Nov 13, 2023
waternogetenemy:
I assure you, if it was Igbo that have brothers in Togo and Benin republic, we would have been making efforts to join them.

Mind you not all our people speak Igbo language.

All the groups in SS are Igbo relatives and part of our extended family, all the way down to the middle belt with Igala, idoma and down to Cameroon.

As know, our brothers in Cameroon join Kanu to demand separation from Cameroon and we are working together to reunify.

Igbo will never leave their kith and kin behind, we are just too strong as a group to allow it.

Abeg park one side. tongue cool

1 Like

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by zedegit: 7:53pm On Nov 13, 2023
1TrippleCee:
God bless me with money. I also want to impact this world. Hit the like button to tap i to this prayer too

Don't pray for fraudulent money. Access bank task me that year.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by blowjohn(m): 7:54pm On Nov 13, 2023
Gerrard59:

Don't get it twisted, this is business not philanthropy. Please know the difference.

So people shud stop with the excitement
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Swiftgrp: 8:00pm On Nov 13, 2023
Gerrard59:

Tola of GTB founded Daywaterman Schools in Ogun where he comes from. So, Wigwe is expected to site his in Rivers state.
Indeed.

'Tayo Aderinokun [who is the co-founder of GTB with 'Fola Adeola in the 1990s] founded the world-class Daywaterman Schools in Ogun State just like you said. I got to know much later from two posters on this thread that Herbert Wigwe had already started constructing his University in his home town at Isiokpo, near Port Harcourt as far back as 2021... so that is gratifying.

The key is to creatively give back to ones immediate community by building world-class high schools, Universities, and engaging in an eclectic mix of charitable causes. Academic education/financial education/entrepreneurship, etc. are the immediate keys for leapfrogging in the New Economy of the 21st century.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by whitejs: 8:05pm On Nov 13, 2023
waternogetenemy:

Igbo as a group is larger than Yoruba, we still have our Ekpeye Igboid clan.

Really?
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by OBIDIENTNAIJA: 8:06pm On Nov 13, 2023
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by 5ThChild: 8:15pm On Nov 13, 2023
Swiftgrp:

@Armaggedon,

Yes thanks for the info about the Uni and Herbert's Isiokpo hometown... His professional working life is majorly in Lagos State so that's why I said Herbert Wigwe is a "Lagos big dude" (or top gun). He used to work for the then new generation bank called GTB which was co-founded back in the 1990s by Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun.

Herbert then left GTB to co-found another new generation bank called Access Bank with Imokhuede thereby sealing their names in the sands of time among the modern banking pioneers. They brought that iconic GTB work ethics into Access Bank operations. These guys have a lot of international and local investments made from their banking assets running into millions of USD.

All the best.

You are well versed in financial and political section. Good one

1 Like

Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by masseratti: 8:17pm On Nov 13, 2023
Gerrard59:

There is nothing like a manufacturing factory for phones. Phones are assembled with parts from different manufacturers of those parts. So, a screen manufacturer is different from the battery manufacturer. Then, every part goes to the brand's assembling facility or authorised partner. Upon assembling, it gets shipped out. The same applies to cars. Cars are not manufactured but assembled.

Wigwe's source of wealth is from banking, and it is easier to venture into tertiary education than assembling electronics when there are fierce competitors in Asia. No country in Africa can out-do the East and now South East Asian countries in electronics production and assembling. Even the West cannot.
can't is not in the dictionary of a determined mind.. Ask Elon musk he was told an electric car was not feasible.. He did it.. Nothing is impossible passion is the key.. Yeah I understand he came from banking my point is their are alot of other businesses our rich men politicians, bankers even musicians can go into that can create real productivity that we can even export to earn more FX
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Pharaoh4rin(m): 8:20pm On Nov 13, 2023
I remembered when we worked in this guy's house (2004) in Parkview estate, ikoyi. Hunger bin the mess us up but his securities : mopol, army, kings guard, disallowed us from going out to at least eat. On the day of his birthday, he asked us to leave his house, because we were not in the class of the invitees. Since then, I decided to like him for making me understand that, money defines class.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Armaggedon: 8:26pm On Nov 13, 2023
Swiftgrp:

@Armaggedon,

Yes thanks for the info about the Uni and Herbert's Isiokpo hometown... His professional working life is majorly in Lagos State so that's why I said Herbert Wigwe is a "Lagos big dude" (or top gun). He used to work for the then new generation bank called GTB which was co-founded back in the 1990s by Fola Adeola and Tayo Aderinokun.

Herbert then left GTB to co-found another new generation bank called Access Bank with Imokhuede thereby sealing their names in the sands of time among the modern banking pioneers. They brought that iconic GTB work ethics into Access Bank operations. These guys have a lot of international and local investments made from their banking assets running into millions of USD.

All the best.

it's ok. However, if ever a reason should arise, billionaires are known by their countries of origin not cities. Access holdings is gaining global footprint, buying up banks all over the continent. It has branches all over the country with patronage from government and businesses owned by people from all over the country. Therefore, defining him based on the city privileged to host his daily business engagement is misleading and fuels the misconception that he owes such place special kind of favour more than everywhere in the country, including his place of origin.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by adaete27(m): 8:36pm On Nov 13, 2023
With our debit alerts?
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Whalis: 9:25pm On Nov 13, 2023
moneyissweet:
Now he is ikwere man. If he is indicted for crime now you will him call Ipob terrorist...ozuor

There is no Ikwerre man that has ever been misconstrued for an Igbo person in term of crime.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Whalis: 9:32pm On Nov 13, 2023
gidgiddy:

Ikwerre dont put the "N" in"Nwa"
The meaning is not even same. Igbos copy from the minorities and don't even copy it properly.
Igbos add N to names like Nwagbara, Nwoke and others. These in Igbo means children of.

Ikwerres don't add N. Because the meaning is different. Wike doesn't mean child of strength as igbos thought. W in Ikwerre mean of. It is a possessive word in Ikwerre language. Eg. W in Wike means of new. Belonging to a new thing. Wigwe means of Heaven. Wagbara means of the deity. Igbos need to study properly before adopting.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Whalis: 9:37pm On Nov 13, 2023
waternogetenemy:

And wat are the Ikwere clan?

What is W igwe

Wigwe simple means Nwa-Igwe shortened.

which is King pikin or child.

Ikwerre will always torment you people. If you agree that Ikwerre is Igbo dialect what is difficult for you to accept their variations of the Igbo dialect?
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by moneyissweet(m): 9:41pm On Nov 13, 2023
Maybe you have forgotten about don wali that wike killed.

When are in trouble they will become ipob, but when they are enjoying and occupying political offices they will become ikwere

Just dey play.

Whalis:

There is no Ikwerre man that has ever been misconstrued for an Igbo person in term of crime.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by Whalis: 9:48pm On Nov 13, 2023
moneyissweet:
Maybe you have forgotten about don wali that wike killed.

When are in trouble they will become ipob, but when they are enjoying and occupying political offices they will become ikwere

Just dey play.

No true born Ikwerre man has ever claimed to be Igbo. Ikwerres see themselves as blue 💙 blood.
Re: Herbert Wigwe To Build $500M University In Nigeria by delvzy(m): 11:20pm On Nov 13, 2023
Why some may be quick to give this a thumbs-up, I don't see the point of establishing new institutions unless it is projected towards a specific discipline that can bring about growth and development, not add another burden to the ever-increasing quota of jobless graduates.
Education is going digital and more practical-oriented with the emergence of Artificial Intelligence. About time other collar jobs like Plumbing, Electrical works and other things we regard as menial jobs become the focal point.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What I Did To Help My Child Improve In Maths / Lagos Government Reacts To Viral Video Of School Assembly In Flooded Ground / She Graduated In 2016 But Has Been Failing Two Particular Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.