Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,713 members, 7,851,433 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:11 PM

Predestination?how True? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Predestination?how True? (616 Views)

What Is Predestination? / RCCG, E.A. Adeboye (and All Other Churches) - Free Will Or Predestination? / Was It Destiny, Fate Or Predestination That Saved You from that accident or got you that job ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Predestination?how True? by Nobody: 9:10am On Oct 28, 2011
I've been pondering on this for years.Some xtians believe in predestination,particularly the Calvanists of old.Folks like Jonathan Edwards,Nettleton,Whitefield,Spurgeon,McCheyne etc. believed that God from time immemorial has assigned some pple to salvation & some others to eternal damnation.They blivd that only "the elect"can find salvation since Christ died for the elect alone & not for all.This is pretty confusing,moreso because many champions of the faith & many eminent xtian authors expounded this very doctrine.Xtians like:John Owen,John Knox,Richard Baxter,H.A. Ironside,Howel Harris and the father of calvinism himself,John Calvin.Also,the presbyterians of Scotland like:samuel rutherford,andrew bonar,thomas chalmers,dr. Welsh etc.Calvanism became less popular much thru the labours of Charles G. Finney in the 19th century.So what do u think?has God really predestined pple?does that answer the question of pple who've strived to be saved but haven't made any success?Is predestination true
Re: Predestination?how True? by toluxa1(m): 2:21pm On Oct 28, 2011
Its not as simple as that. Will try when I have time to put in what I believe about this. Truth is bitter.
Re: Predestination?how True? by HISchild: 1:38am On Oct 29, 2011
friend,

predestination is true because GOD says so repeatedly and “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” -2 Timothy 3:16-17

Eph_1:5 - "Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,"
Eph_1:11 - "In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:"
Eph_1:4 - "According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:"

The truth of the matter is that since the fall of man, GOD, Who is Righteous and Holy, and Just is/was under no obligation to save anyone.  HE (and it) is a Wonder that HE does and has to Sacrifice Himself in The Person of our Lord JESUS CHRIST to justify / pardon anyone. "(For the redemption of their soul is precious, and it ceaseth for ever:)" - Psa 49:8, and (John 3:16-17). "precious = costly"

Note, The Lord JESUS CHRIST says: "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day." - John 6:44.  That is because human beings are born spiritually dead, (1 Corinth 15:22, Rom 5:14, Ezekiel 37 - > Eph 2:1).
---------
So, the issue of giving eternal life in one's soul existence, only GOD can do, never man by any operation (baptism, circumcision, "confession of faith", etc).  If i may humbly use an illustration, picture all human beings as convicted prisoners who are worthy of death (Rom 3:23, Rom 6:23), all gathered together in a deep pit awaiting execution, then comes The King, who mercifully pardons as many as HE intends to pardon, at great expense to HIMSELF, that is, humbling HIMSELF to undergo their punishment, not because of anything they did, but according to HIS own will and purpose and goodness, HE being infinitely wise and perfect. The Lord [is] gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, And of great mercy.” - Pss 145:8

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. And they were astonished out of measure, saying among themselves, Who then can be saved? And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." -Mar 10:25-27

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." - John 1:12-13

May GOD bless you.
Re: Predestination?how True? by chowbaby: 1:57am On Oct 29, 2011
@Hischild, why do you never address the fact that you spread false messages throughout this entire year?  May 21 is judgment day you wrote.  Pretty much daily.  It was all supposed to end last week.  October 21, according to you and Harold Camping.  You quote the bible like a zombie.  But, according to that same bible you are a false prophet/messenger and will feel the wrath of god.  Why do you refuse to address this?  Are you in denial?  are you afraid?  many members of this community have asked you and you ignore it.  you lack integrity. 
Re: Predestination?how True? by HISchild: 7:31am On Oct 29, 2011
I have said that GOD's judgment took place on May 21, and the churches are and have been under GOD's righteous judgment (1 Peter 4:17), we see the evidence thereof.  I have said that The return of The Lord JESUS CHRIST is imminent and like in a court of law, sentence /execution will be carried out at that time, after judgment is read.  Think of it as being on "death row".

Now:
Find one post wherein i indicated that the world would be destroyed on October 21st, please, just one? If you cannot, then with some dignity, please, stop following me around on threads, be silent and sit back and wait to see what happens soon enough when judgment is finally executed on this world.The op, asked about predestination and i have tried to answer his question faithfully from the word of GOD. 
----

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness." -2 Pet 3:9-13

"Therefore the LORD, the God of hosts, the Lord, saith thus; Wailing shall be in all streets; and they shall say in all the highways, Alas! alas! and they shall call the husbandman to mourning, and such as are skilful of lamentation to wailing. And in all vineyards shall be wailing: for I will pass through thee, saith the LORD. Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light. As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him. Shall not the day of the LORD be darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it?" - Amos 5:16-20

"He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." - Rev 21:7-8

"wait for it, ".

(1) (Reply)

Grace Vs Mercy / The Love God May Be Unconditional But For The Christian Is Not Undeserving / Muslim Lawyers Ask Fashola To Rescind Ban On Hijab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.