Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,956 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:13 PM

Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price (23613 Views)

Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father / No Court Marriage. Must We Separate By Going Through Divorce In Court? / Woman Delivers Quintuplets After 20 Years Of Marriage Without A Child [photo] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by oluwaseyi0: 7:46pm On Nov 20, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. That there is the most irritating part of it all.! undecided

2. Were you also required to submit Letters of consent from your parents to register your marriage with the courts? undecided
Not at all, not even remotely suggestive of such

All the required is 1 witness from my side and one witness from my bride (both witness must be married) that's all

The marriage immediately become binding unless one party seek for divorce

All this trash they are talking is just mere assumption, and emotional feeling

I can bet most of them have never been to registry in their entire life

Infact what's the meaning of letter of consent? Like at over 30 years of age I still need someone consent or my wife at her age still need to go and beg someone to consent?

Joke taken too far

2 Likes

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 7:47pm On Nov 20, 2023
nams77:
Who is saying it should be free? I have seen weddings done on normal service days with bride and groom wearing just their normal Sunday wears. No bridal train or all of that sh*t. Just blessing of the marriage and light refreshments. Case closed.
Well, if you have to spend any money for it in addition to registering it in the courts, it is frivolous spending, since it does not add any meaningful tangible value to the union itself. undecided
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by donvicky2007: 7:48pm On Nov 20, 2023
Court marriage is the only marriage recognized in court, but during the court marriage at the marriage registry you must provide both the groom and the bride must provide witnesses, so how can the bride parents stand as witness to the court marriage when you didn't pay her bride price and providing witnesses outside the bride's family can be troublesome if they take you to court and tell the court that you provided fake witness to the court wedding, that will be another ball game.
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by oluwaseyi0: 7:49pm On Nov 20, 2023
Abrahamweb:

Being legally married is second to being traditionally married boss.
Even in western culture, you have to ask the permission of her parents first.
In our culture, you have to pay bride price first simple.

Please quote the constitution, you even said even in western culture grin grin grin

Oyinbo that can call their parents to inform them he got married last week
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 7:50pm On Nov 20, 2023
otomatic:
■ It's okay. An adult woman is not the property of her parents yet the groom will be given a list to fulfil during marriage, else they are not married but cohabiting. I don't condescend on women, but facts are facts. Look, everyone who passed through that process in that registry fulfilled the same requirements. These requirements were not tailored to specific individuals. And you must fulfil them for your application to be accepted except maybe you are not interested in being married there. I hope you know that underage marriage is not permissible in the south. Even registry cannot cover that.
oluwaseyi0 here just registered his own marriage in that same Nigerian court and was not required to write Letters of consent in his case.
oluwaseyi0:
Not at all, not even remotely suggestive of such. All the required is 1 witness from my side and one witness from my bride (both witness must be married) that's all. The marriage immediately become binding unless one party seek for divorce. All this trash they are talking is just mere assumption, and emotional feeling. I can bet most of them have never been to registry in their entire life Infact what's the meaning of letter of consent? Like at over 30 years of age I still need someone consent or my wife at her age still need to go and beg someone to consent? Joke taken too far
So, how can you claim facts here when what you state is out of the norm? undecided
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by otomatic(m): 7:51pm On Nov 20, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Your supposed experience is marred by what is likely ignorance of the law in Nigeria though. undecided

What is referred to as court marriage is the registration of marriage with the courts. You wrote letters of consent because you were not aware of the fact that a letter of consent is only required in the case that at least one of the partners in the marriage is underage. The Law hasn't changed much in many decades and it is available online for all who would like to learn to educate themselves. undecided

Once again, so called "Court marriages" are not registered in a court but in a marriage registry.
Also a marriage registry is not in a court.
The registrations are not done online yet but offline.
Underage marriage is not permitted by law in Nigeria, as such, registries cannot be providing cover for the practice.
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by oluwaseyi0: 7:52pm On Nov 20, 2023
donvicky2007:
Court marriage is the only marriage recognized in court, but during the court marriage at the marriage registry you must provide both the groom and the bride must provide witnesses, so how can the bride parents stand as witness to the court marriage when you didn't pay her bride price and providing witnesses outside the bride's family can be troublesome if they take you to court and tell the court that you provided fake witness to the court wedding, that will be another ball game.

Witness doesn't have any specific title, a witness role is to be able to bare witness that 1) the court marriage took place
2) both partner consent to the marriage
3) they are just witness ... meaning to see
4) they can be any god damn body, friends, aquitance, family or whatever
5) they themselves must be married
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by doyin01: 7:58pm On Nov 20, 2023
bashlek:

See the owner of the topic wud have learnt a lot of thing from what people are saying. He might wanted to boycott the bride price initially but now, he wud have learnt one or 2 things

Bride price is not compulsory in court, nothing like bride price. But endeavors to pay. Pay ya bride price. No free pussy. The higher % of people that run away from bride prices maltreat their wife

Bye for now

You were making sense until you mentioned the bolded...I have dealt with daily cases of domestic violence at the court concerning marriages and I can tell you for a fact that most women that experience domestic violence and maltreatment from their husbands are women that had their bride price paid and traditional wedding was done..even court wedding was done..and church wedding ...Maltreatment from a husband have nothing to do with whether he paid bride price or not..infact if we are to go by your logic , it is a man that paid bride price that will be more prepared to maltreat his wife because he believes that he can treat her anyhow since he paid her bride price and he is considered her legal husband already by her family and friends hence he sees her as someone he bought already, in some traditions or community , their bride price is a huge amount of money and some men feel they can treat such woman anyhow since they paid so much money to bring her into their house and that makes them superior to her and they can behave to her anyhow they want..

Secondly going by your logic , why is it that we hardly hear about baby mamas living with their child's father experiencing domestic violence from the father of their child and we often hear wives experience domestic violence often ...if men that have not paid bride price on a woman often love to maltreat the woman like you claimed , then it is their case we should be hearing more....

Late gospel singer osinachi got killed by her husband , I guess he did not pay her bride price ba ?? Lol

goodnight

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by otomatic(m): 8:02pm On Nov 20, 2023
Kobojunkie:
oluwaseyi0 here just registered his own marriage in that same Nigerian court and was not required to write Letters of consent in his case. So, how can you claim facts here when what you state is out of the norm? undecided

That is his own experience and which is why in my initial comment I asked if the letter was not required without giving any additional information. In subsequent interactions, I also made it clear that the essence of that question is to establish if that is a uniform practice in all locations.
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 8:06pm On Nov 20, 2023
otomatic:
That is his own experience and which is why in my initial comment I asked if the letter was not required without giving any additional information. In subsequent interactions, I also made it clear that the essence of that question is to establish if that is a uniform practice in all locations.
According to the Law, a letter of consent is only necessary when one or more of the individuals contracting the union is underage and this is the Law across all of Nigeria. undecided

1 Like

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by AMI3(m): 8:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
immortalcrown:
I am not sure but I believe the court respects tradition and may insist on payment of bride price before conducting the court marriage. On the other hand, legality is different from tradition. What is traditional may be illegal and what is legal may be untraditional.
U are wrong. My in law did court marriage in other to japa without any traditional marriage. It is now that they are planning to go for traditional marriage
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Love800(m): 8:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
Wat is the difference between court marriage and church marriage?
oluwaseyi0:

You are the one that should stop this nonsense, which court ever mention bride price, which constitution?

I recently got married (though I did court, traditional and church)

I'm surprised how easy it is to get married in our court you don't even need parent or family consent

Just the couple willingness and ready with one married witness on both side (witness can be any damn body)
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by VULCAN(m): 8:16pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ignorance is so costly and the ignorant are so loud.

A woman whose bride price has been paid but no registry will fall to the woman who has registry marriage and no bride price not to talk of the woman who was registry with bride price.

When it's time to travel out for visit or relocation, you will understand the importance of registry at the embassy.

When you die and your relatives come for your property, your registry married wife need only call upon a lawyer and things will turn around while your bride price wife will be forced to run with your kids.

Abrahamweb:

Bride price is a most.
Court wedding is a foreign concept and not compulsory.
If you want respect from your in-laws,pay bride price first and court wedding after.
You want to carry their daughter with asking for their blessings ni?

1 Like

Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Bigsunny01(m): 8:18pm On Nov 20, 2023
Do u study ur bible at all shocked shocked
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Bigsunny01(m): 8:29pm On Nov 20, 2023
Even u as an Africa man how will u feel if a man marry ur daughter without coming to do de necessary thing which is paying de dowry as tradition demand which we all meet here on earth

Court wedding is not mandatory but tradition is

Even de court will ask u if u have done de traditional
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Love800(m): 8:53pm On Nov 20, 2023
Wats the difference between court marriage and church marriage?
I thought dat both do give certificate of marriage.
doyin01:

In your community or family , the marriage is legal traditionally ....but in the court of law.. a legally wedded person is the person that was legally wedded and verified and confirmed by the court of law of that country..

For example try and and apply for a visa to any Western country as a couple, you need to provide the marriage certificate confirmed by the court of law ...they won,t say you should bring pictures or videos of traditional wedding or bring witness or whatever.....nothing concerns law with that

Do traditional wedding to fulfil the tradition of your land...but at the same time you must do the most important one which is the court wedding...the one the law recognises all over the world and not just nigeria...your tradition is a personal thing , it does not apply to everyone all over the world...in some traditions , they can even return your bride price and reject your marriage in the future !!!!!e.g if violence occurs in the marriage
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Armaggedon: 8:54pm On Nov 20, 2023
Kobojunkie:
Sounds like counseling sessions where they force traditional opinions on your individuals. I bet if you called up the courts today to verify your claim dem go tell us say those counselors do not do so on behalf or with the authority of the courts. undecided
you hate the courts too?
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by oluwaseyi0: 8:55pm On Nov 20, 2023
Love800:
Wat is the difference between court marriage and church marriage?

From the name

Court is registry marriage which is conducted by a government official

Church is conducted by pastor/clergy

I was given certificate for both
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 8:56pm On Nov 20, 2023
Armaggedon:
you hate the courts too?
I don't! The courts without the added prejudice from ignorant Nigerians all over the place makes a lot of sense! undecided
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by oluwaseyi0: 8:58pm On Nov 20, 2023
patorial:

There's nothing like court marriage or court wedding.
The intending couple register their marriage with the registry.

I don't get what you mean with this?
We were join in matrimony by the court official with authority, there is no existing marriage before the court wedding

There is vow exchange, exchange of ring, photography, little song and dance, fanfare etc all in the registry premises
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Abrahamweb(m): 9:00pm On Nov 20, 2023
VULCAN:
Ignorance is so costly and the ignorant are so loud.

A woman whose bride price has been paid but no registry will fall to the woman who has registry marriage and no bride price not to talk of the woman who was registry with bride price.

When it's time to travel out for visit or relocation, you will understand the importance of registry at the embassy.

When you die and your relatives come for your property, your registry married wife need only call upon a lawyer and things will turn around while your bride price wife will be forced to run with your kids.

Use your head abeg.
I never said court marriage is not important,pay bride price first,that's the first step.
Read well before replying boss.
You don't goto university without writing SSCE.
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Love800(m): 9:03pm On Nov 20, 2023
Tank u.
But since u will be given certificate for both, while bother to still do both?
oluwaseyi0:

From the name

Court is registry marriage which is conducted by a government official

Church is conducted by pastor/clergy

I was given certificate for both
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 9:05pm On Nov 20, 2023
Love800:
Tank u.
You asked a good question! I hope there was no duplication problem created by that in the courts. undecided
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Love800(m): 9:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
Kobo, goodevening.
I want to know, is it dat one certification is greater than the other?
Which one is more recongnized?
Kobojunkie:
You asked a good question! I hope there was no duplication problem created by that in the courts. undecided
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by oluwaseyi0: 9:10pm On Nov 20, 2023
Love800:
Tank u.

The real certificate is the court one, the church will probably only be accepted within Nigeria

You can't use it in embassy or tender it outside the country

Infact during the court wedding I was specifically told by the official that if anyone ask me of my wedding date that I must always mention the court date because that's the date that will be lodged into ministry of interior database
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Lordsonn: 9:12pm On Nov 20, 2023
It's very legal. The court does not need traditional certifications to pronounce a marriage legal
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 9:15pm On Nov 20, 2023
Love800:
Kobo, goodevening. I want to know, is it dat one certification is greater than the other? Which one is more recongnized?
Nah! They are both issued by the same court so no difference at all. undecided

Your church is a business sanctioned by the courts to officiate marriages by the authority of the courts. So, the certificates are the same. However, since your churches are business entities, you probably end up paying a lot more for the service offered there— dresses, ceremony, space, etc.— than you would if you simply went straight to the court instead. undecided
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Lordsonn: 9:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
doyin01:

No court will ask for bride price to be paid before court marriage ..does that even sound sensible to you...what concerns court of law with your bride price
Don't mind them. Most of them talking doesn't know anything about court marriage.
When I did my court marriage, the judge did not even request for parents. He only ask us to provide two witnesses. That was all.
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Love800(m): 9:17pm On Nov 20, 2023
Ok
Tankz
Intelligent comment
oluwaseyi0:

The real certificate is the court one, the church will probably only be accepted within Nigeria

You can't use it in embassy or tender it outside the country

Infact during the court wedding I was specifically told by the official that if anyone ask me of my wedding date that I must always mention the court date because that's the date that will be lodged into ministry of interior database
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Love800(m): 9:20pm On Nov 20, 2023
So intelligent.
Tankz for dis.
Kobojunkie:
Nah! They are both issued by the same court so no difference at all. undecided

Your church is a business sanctioned by the courts to officiate marriages by the authority of the courts. So, the certificates are the same. However, since your churches are business entities, you probably end up paying a lot more for the service offered there— dresses, ceremony, space, etc.— than you would if you simply went straight to the court instead. undecided
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Nov 20, 2023
Love800:
So intelligent.
Tankz for dis.
From this thread alone, it is apparent that many still don't realize how there lives could be and would be made a whole lot easier if they choose to register their marriages only at the courts. undecided

Imagine doing court, then church, then traditional, when you know you won't even have money left over afterward for the actual living of life in the marriage. What is the point of all of that waste for Pete's sake? undecided
Re: Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price by Neddyogu(m): 9:26pm On Nov 20, 2023
judatech:

Where in the Bible is bride price mentioned?

Read 1 Sam 18: 20-30.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Wicked Anambra Woman Arrested For Child Abuse And The Little Boy Taken From Her. / If You Were To Advise Your Son/daughter On Marriage, What W'd Be Your Greatest? / First Born Like Us, Na Responsibilities Dey Rush Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.