Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,030 members, 7,818,040 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget (43555 Views)

Peter Obi Compares Nigeria’s Budget, Poverty Rate With China’s. Is He Correct? / Here Are The 10 Ministries Planning To Spend 86% Of Nigeria’s Budget In 2024 / 75% Of Nigeria’s Budget Lost To Corruption – Forensic Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Available9: 7:41pm On Nov 29, 2023
nairalanda1:

1. Algeria produces about 4 times more oil than we do so more money (actually around the same amount of crude, but for a population of 44.5 million people, compared to our 200 million and more).

2. South Africa has a diversified economy and as such has more money.

3. Egypt has a diversified economy and is a tourism monster. (Everyone must see the Pyramids and the Sphinx at least once. That's billions of kash in hard currency without doing anything)

Algeria produces about 4 times more oil than we do but Algeria is not 4 times more corrupt like Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by DeepSight(m): 7:41pm On Nov 29, 2023
nairalanda1:

One way we can fight corruption is by improving our tax to gdp ratio to 50% from 10%

More people paying taxes -more eyes on government= hell let loose for any stealing

But look at it, 33 billion dollars, if spent 'wisely without corruption' on 200 million people won't go far. At all. Corruption makes the bad situation ten times worse.

The only reason our budget remains that poor - and I repeat with emphasis - the ONLY reason is our unthinkable political corruption. An oil producing country which has no working refineries for almost two decades speaks for itself. Let me also assure you that the theft of this country's resources is beyond the obvious. Those who collude with politicians to quietly steal solid minerals are there. Those who have deliberately sabotaged the power sector are there. If you think the subsidy was just a normal thing that had to go because "Nigerians are lazy" then you dont understand the depth of what transpires in this country. A subsidy that was only about 300 billion some years ago became over six trillion and you dont understand that a mafia was at work. The only reason it has been seized now is simply because Bretton Woods institutions will not continue loaning our political elite money to steal at that level. There are natural subsidies in every country. Its the extreme and even demonic theft of ours that has forced this situation.

Again, if you dont know that all the savings from the removal of subsidy in Nigeria will still be voraciously stolen by politicians, then you dont know Nigeria.

In Nigeria there are roads projects that have been financed by every government since Obasanjo's - and remain untouched. That level of theft should tell you the matter really rests with political corruption. Now that the cookie is crumbling or rather the cookie jar has so shrunk that there is little to steal, they wish to shift the burden to the poor.

Also, like someone pointed out up there, the true measure of a country's wealth is its GDP and not its budget. With our GDP, which has even been dropping, we can have a far bigger budget than 33 Bn. We can grow that GDP very fast also - exponentially even.

My dear, in Nigeria, taxing the people more is also no solution to political corruption. If you dont know that such tax will still disappear and yet Nigerians will move on, then you still dont know your country. Mind you, I dont say dont tax - I simply point out that it will not do jack to corruption.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Simeonjoe1: 7:42pm On Nov 29, 2023
Phantom233:
It's not about how much you budget but what you actually do with the money. Even if we're given 500billion dollars yearly, our extremly corrupt and wicked Apc political rulers and Allies will reloot the monies without any tangible results

They would be tangible result and true they'll loot a bigger share too.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Joy2dworldxyz: 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2023
Poverty Hqtrs Republic.......

I hail thee...

No ok w tell me why guys no go dae jappa to these North/South countries.....
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Ikinternational: 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2023
Ogene001:

A population that praise Chinese and lebanese industrialization in Ogun who pack Nigeria money to their countries but mock Nnewi and Aba for their indegenous efforts

Deep.....A Word
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Catapault: 7:44pm On Nov 29, 2023
gare:

Reno shut up your mouth, our major problem in Nigeria is corruption, since you have failed to talk about it, let me remind you, because you have been creating so much nuisance of late on social media.

If we can reduce corruption by 40% in the country you will see meaningful development, 70% of our budget is stolen by politicians what do you expect the country to do with 30%.

Please go and look for a job because you are becoming a nuisance.

My friend will you shut up there.

Where and how did you calculate that 70% of the budget is stolen?

You people just come in here and type nonsense.

The most that is stolen is between 20 and 30 percent, if that.

Anything more than that and we would need international food aid and Red Cross plus UN here.

The NUMBER 1 problem of Nigeria is NOT corruption.

It is that we don’t earn enough as a country.

The oil money is a pittance for our huge population.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by michoim(m): 7:44pm On Nov 29, 2023
abdeefggh:
We have a long way to go
It is simply pathetic for Nigeria now ...
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by tsdarkside(m): 7:45pm On Nov 29, 2023
casualobserver:

That’s the real problem. I am sure 90% of those in the National Assembly do not pay their fair share of taxes. I remmember during confirmation Akpabio was shocked when he saw the tax clearance of Audu from Kogi. Clearly he wasn’t use to his fellow politicians paying their true taxes. But he is a minority.

I don’t know how you can declare assets to CCB and they won’t ask where is your tax paid commensurate with this level of wealth. In other countries if you have money and you haven’t paid taxes you live a low profile so the tax man doesn’t target you.

i tell you....
soo,suggestin taxin more will only hit the poor much harder in nigeria.... undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Kukutenla: 7:46pm On Nov 29, 2023
tsdarkside:

is he wrong....??

you are not rich....stop lyin to yourselves....
corruption is in every nation on earth....
our own is we are fightin each other for the little we have like crabs in a bucket....
This one has started making excuses for criminals
How much are you been paid to do this?
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Kukutenla: 7:47pm On Nov 29, 2023
nairalanda1:

South Africa has some issues with corruption
Yeah. I'm sure South Africa has a past ruler who is still sending them money from the grave and a past minister who is standing trial for bribery in UK. Dey deceive yasef because of agbado
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by lordaltruist(m): 7:48pm On Nov 29, 2023
abdeefggh:
We have a long way to go

undecided undecided Nigerians and complain are like 5&6

If dem increase am you go complain say wetin dem dey use am do, if dem reduce am you go still complain say e no go reach you; wetin you want make dem do for you sef? undecided undecided undecided

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by tsdarkside(m): 7:48pm On Nov 29, 2023
Kukutenla:

This one has started making excuses for criminals
How much are you been paid to do this?

paid to do what....??

nigeria is not a rich country....period....
the sooner you realize that the better for you....

you go fight other nigerians tire....
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Ikinternational: 7:49pm On Nov 29, 2023
nairalanda1:

This Nigerian thinks that nnewi and aba are amazing.

This is stupid
Way to add stupidity to the thread
Clap for yourself
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by BabaAduras: 7:49pm On Nov 29, 2023
Tochi3:
. Kill corruption, making sure that politicians with questionable characters don't ever get near power , for example poo'hari & Thief'nubu & see Nigeria's budget surpass the three countries..the country Nigeria is richly blessed with resources than the three countries combined

Incompetent foools like the two mentioned above have no love for the country... Just came to steal, Plunder, enthrone ethnic supremacy, corner & siphone the resources to themselves & goons...while their Internet miscreants tell you that it is because of our Huge population & you should make sacrifices having patience grin grin

See how parochial your thinking is. So it is only Buhari and Tinubu the messed the country up? Because of political blindness, you have developed selective memory and cannot think logically.

You cannot understand that the problem of Nigeria started when Agunyi Ironsi cancelled the prosperous regional governments and concentrated power and economy at the center. That singular action, killed all the regional bases of industrialization (Palm Kernel in the West, Groundnut and Leather in the North, Coal mining in the East).

This was followed by the recklessness of Gowon/Awolowo era of "our problem is not how to make money but how to spend it" coupled with the hyper-inflation that followed "Udoji Allowance."

Muritala and Obj just followed Gowon/Awolowo economic blueprint and handed power to the super looting era of Shehu Shagari.

From then to date, the only government that tried to change the trend was GMB/Idiagbon. Unfortunately, Nigerians were not ready to make the necessary sacrifices to make it work. So the government did not last. It was toppled by the smiling super-looter IBB. All the governments we have had since then to date are just super-looters with no plan nor the boldness to drive necessary change that would have resulted in the nations prosperity.

The hope is that BAT can sustain the bold initiatives he has started to reverse our fortunes. That is the waiting game. It is simply too early now to see a sudden reverse in fortune of an economy that has been damaged and battered for over a period of close to 55 years.

I must say, people like you who cannot look back to understand the problems, but reason and make comments from political/ethnical/tribal point of view are not helping the matter at all.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Kukutenla: 7:50pm On Nov 29, 2023
tsdarkside:

paid to do what....??

nigeria is not a rich country....period....
the sooner you realize that the better for you....

you go fight other nigerians tire....
So how does Nigeia have the largest GDP in Africa? Can you explain how an economy that produces goods and services worth over300bn in a year is a poor country

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by lozanni(m): 7:50pm On Nov 29, 2023
abdeefggh:
We have a long way to go

embarassed
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by tsdarkside(m): 7:52pm On Nov 29, 2023
BabaAduras:

See how parochial your thinking is. So it is only Buhari and Tinubu the messed the country up? Because of political blindness, you have developed selective memory and cannot think logically.

You cannot understand that the problem of Nigeria started when Agunyi Ironsi cancelled the prosperous regional governments and concentrated power and economy at the center. That singular action, killed all the regional bases of industrialization (Palm Kernel in the West, Groundnut and Leather in the North, Coal mining in the East).

This was followed by recklessness Gowon/Awolowo era of "our problem is not how to make money but how to spend it" coupled with the hyper-inflation that followed "Udoji Allowance."

Muritala and Obj just followed Gowon/Awolowo economic blueprint and handed power to the super looting era of Shehu Shagari.

From then to date, the only government that tried to change the trend was GMB/Idiagbon. Unfortunately, Nigerians were not ready to make the necessary sacrifices to make it work. So the government did not last. It was toppled by the smiling super-looter IBB. All the governments we have had since then to date are just super-looters with no plan nor the boldness to drive necessary change that would resulted in the nations prosperity.

The hope is that BAT can sustain the bold initiatives he has started to reverse our fortunes. That is the waiting game. It is simply too early now to see a sudden reverse in fortune of an economy that has been damaged and battered for over a period of close to 55 years.

I must say, people like you who cannot look back to understand the problems, but reason and make comments from political/ethnical/tribal point of view are not helping the matter at all.

they just want you to vote who they like....thats all....
they dont realy look at the real issues....
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by DeepSight(m): 7:53pm On Nov 29, 2023
Catapault:

The NUMBER 1 problem of Nigeria is NOT corruption.

It is that we don’t earn enough as a country.

Please I mean no offense oh, so try to take none - but how old are you? Because I dont know if you know much of our country. I dont know if you know, for example, how we budget for certain pieces of major infrastructure every year, and leave them untouched. There are many I can point out to you which have been funded for over twenty years consistently and never been touched. What is that if not black magic. That's why I asked how old you are. If the question offends you, please let me translate it to how long you have been following political economics in Nigeria. That's a better way to phrase it.

Dear friend, if you understand the ruthlessness of our corruption and its depth and scale, you would know that corruption has always been our biggest problem. If you like earn one trillion dollars, it will disappear in Nigeria, I guarantee you.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Floky215: 7:53pm On Nov 29, 2023
Phantom233:
It's not about how much you budget but what you actually do with the money. Even if we're given 500billion dollars yearly, our extremly corrupt and wicked Apc political rulers and Allies will reloot the monies without any tangible results

Even the 33Billion budget, what would they do with it apart from looting it....!!?

By the time they remove the padded amount budget would drop to 10Billion and out of the remaining 10B only like 10% would trickle down, the rest would do snake in the monkey shadow movement..!!!

Guy don't hold brief for the useless government...!!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Gboom: 7:54pm On Nov 29, 2023
Burob:
Shameless corrupt thing, you think by mentioning APC you are exempted, or are you not Nigerian?

Because in spite of the highest allocation from the FAAC in the past 8 years, this year included it was APC that managed the money for Pdp who have been @ the helms of Delta State for the past 24 years?

Keep deceiving yourself, corrupt Agbadorian Almijiri.
You really nailed it.
Nigerian politicians in power irrespective of their party affiliate are bunch of insincere and questionable characters.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by DeepSight(m): 7:55pm On Nov 29, 2023
Kukutenla:

Yeah. I'm sure South Africa has a past ruler who is still sending them money from the grave and a past minister who is standing trial for bribery in UK. Dey deceive yasef because of agbado

Besides they sent Zuma to Jail. Which Nigerian president can even be investigated, not to speak of jailed.
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by tsdarkside(m): 7:55pm On Nov 29, 2023
DeepSight:

Please I mean no offense oh, so try to take none - but how old are you? Because I dont know if you know much of our country. I dont know if you know, for example, how we budget for certain pieces of major infrastructure every year, and leave them untouched. There are many I can point out to you which have been funded for over twenty years consistently and never been touched. What is that if not black magic. That's why I asked how old you are. If the question offends you, please let me translate it to how long you have been following political economics in Nigeria. That's a better way to phrase it.

Dear friend, if you understand the ruthlessness of our corruption and its depth and scale, you would know that corruption has always been our biggest problem. If you like earn one trillion dollars, it will disappear in Nigeria, I guarantee you.

i dont agree with you on this....
corruption is in every country in the world....but to think nigerias problem is only corruption is makin it look too simple....
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by GloriousGbola: 7:56pm On Nov 29, 2023
abdeefggh:
We have a long way to go

I never knew there were only four countries in Africa. We learn something new every day
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Elsueno: 7:56pm On Nov 29, 2023
To be honest, I still don't think we are even up to 150 million in this country...So many things just doesn't make sense with that 200 mil stuff

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by casualobserver: 7:56pm On Nov 29, 2023
tsdarkside:

i tell you....
soo,suggestin taxin more will only hit the poor much harder in nigeria.... undecided undecided

There is an economics to tax collection.

They can’t target the poor because they have little to give if any, for the efforts/overheads required to get the tax out of them. It is the self employed of which there are many that don’t pay their fair share of taxes. The guy who sells spare parts that you are hailing for buildings big house is not a poor man and I can bet you he does not pay the right amount of taxes. The man who deals in haulage, the wholesale food seller, the government contractor, the landlord with multiple properties collecting rent, etc etc etc….most of these people only pay token taxes and many of them are very well off. A lot of them are richer than the salaried workers who bear the brunt of our tax burden because they are deducted at source.

It is easy to target these people because all you need to do is target their BVNs. See who is paying N10m-46m duty to clear a car, who is buying 1st class or business class tickets, whose account turnover is above a certain amount etc etc . We can leverage technology to know who isn’t paying taxes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Chibuezem(m): 7:57pm On Nov 29, 2023
Corn247:
And this Nigeria's budgets is mostly borrowed.

Sorry to say, this is what you get when you have huge unproductive population, population that thinks they are smart and intelligent by importing what we should be forced to produce.

The mod should move this vital information to Frontpage

Nflmod
Mynd44
what can we do to make the population productive?
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by tsdarkside(m): 7:58pm On Nov 29, 2023
DeepSight:

Besides they sent Zuma to Jail. Which Nigerian president can even be investigated, not to speak of jailed.

corruption still remains in south africa....even worsened sef....

zumas followers even rioted sef....
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by 2chainz411: 7:58pm On Nov 29, 2023
abdeefggh:
We have a long way to go
forget the comparisons between Nigeria and them,it is very simple that everything they are doing is very transparent and open but here before the end of a year for the budget to last,they will loot more that the figures of those countries and put jara, wicked cabals!
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by tsdarkside(m): 8:00pm On Nov 29, 2023
casualobserver:

There is an economics to tax collection.

They can’t target the poor because they have little to give if any, for the efforts/overheads required to get the tax out of them. It is the self employed of which there are many that don’t pay their fair share of taxes. The guy who sells spare parts that you are hailing for buildings big house is not a poor man and I can bet you he does not pay the right amount of taxes. The man who deals in haulage, the wholesale food seller, the government contractor, the landlord with multiple properties collecting rent, etc etc etc….most of these people only pay token taxes and many of them are very well off. A lot of them are richer than the salaried workers who bear the brunt of our tax burden because they are deducted at source.

bros,its more complicated than you think....trump was scared to tax the rich more in america because he thinks its the rich that give jobs to the poor.... undecided undecided
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by casualobserver: 8:01pm On Nov 29, 2023
tsdarkside:

bros,its more complicated than you think....trump was scared to tax the rich in america because he thinks its the rich that give jobs to the poor.... undecided undecided

Trump wasn’t scared to tax the rich, the republicans have always been a party of low taxes…it is ideological. And there is a difference between taxing people who already pay taxes more and targeting people who don’t pay.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by Ikinternational: 8:04pm On Nov 29, 2023
tsdarkside:

olomo billionaires....

what are you still movin around for then....

stay in your region....

You that was born in your region, what do you own??

Go to any embassy in Nigeria n see your people everywhere. No be land of Gold again

If you're afraid of competition just say that punk
Re: Nigeria's Budget Vs Other African Countries Budget by tsdarkside(m): 8:05pm On Nov 29, 2023
casualobserver:

Trump wasn’t scared to tax the rich, the republicans have always been a party of low taxes…it is ideological. And there is a difference between taxing people who already pay taxes more and targeting people who don’t pay.

you mean those that cant pay....??
wetin you wan pay when you dont have....

na market women sellin fish you wan tax....??
how much you wan tax such people....??

or is it poor people sellin gala and other substandard stuffs on highways you wan tax....??
how much....??

the rich will always find a way to bypass your taxes....they pay people to find out those loopholes....

the only way out is for nigeria to produce more and rely less on imports....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Repentant Boko Haram Member Enlisted In Army Slits Woman's Throat In Enugu / Governor Bala Mohammed Hospitalised In London / Atiku Inaugurates Legal Team To Challenge Presidential Election Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.