Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,117 members, 7,814,918 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:24 PM

Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road (15866 Views)

Otti Takes Inspection Tour Of Aba-port Harcourt Expressway Reconstruction (pix) / Governor Otti To Flag-Off Reconstruction Of Aba-Port Harcourt Road / Fashola Inspects Reconstruction Of Enugu - Port Harcourt Road (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by worksmart(m): 4:12pm On Nov 30, 2023
First to be clear this project is not Gov Alex Otti's; This is Federal project being carried out by Umahi. Otti is just inspecting as he is keen to see progress to ensure Abians returning for yuletide have a less stressful journey.

Regarding your question, sometimes a condition of getting foreign loans for road projects is that the foreign lender gets to dictate the contractor to carry out the project.

We need to stop taking foreign loans and then we can also choose our own local contractors.
Rossikk:
I don't understand why we need these whites or Asians around to be building our roads in this day and age.

What do they teach civil engineering students in all the universities we have?

If e no dey shame una, e dey shame me. undecided
Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by john650(m): 5:15pm On Nov 30, 2023
lavylilly:
We have building collapse, would you want us to have road collapse too?
Well, maybe we should set strict standards and set-up tribunals to prosecute violators of these standards. We could save a lot on costs and foreign exchange, as well as create more jobs for our people if this work is done by us. The oyibo or Chinese man doing this job is probably laughing to the bank. How stupid can a people be, he would say to himself.

We've been importing foreigners to build our roads since independence and we've never been able to transition to doing it ourselves. Why bother having an engineering department in our schools when the graduates never practice what they learn.

I live abroad and see how this job is done by the locals. Every city or town has a department of works that handles road construction and repairs. They are overseen by the State department of transportation, which in turn reports to the department of transportation on the Federal level. The federal government sets the standards and the states and local governments follow.

1 Like

Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by a4cube: 5:22pm On Nov 30, 2023
Rossikk:
I don't understand why we need these whites or Asians around to be building our roads in this day and age.

What do they teach civil engineering students in all the universities we have?

If e no dey shame una, e dey shame me. undecided
Probably typing with Asian made phone.
Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by Rossikk(m): 5:41pm On Nov 30, 2023
a4cube:
Probably typing with Asian made phone.

So because you type with Asian made phone, you will leave them to do everything else for you?

Such idiotic reasoning.
Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by a4cube: 5:54pm On Nov 30, 2023
Rossikk:

So because you type with Asian made phone, you will leave them to do everything else for you?

Such idiotic reasoning.
Ditch their phone and their construction workers Simple!!!!!! and stop foaming in the mouth.
Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by Heemab(m): 6:06pm On Nov 30, 2023
It's quite unfortunate we don't value the services of our own Engineers.
One of the reason why fresh graduates are seeking for greener pasture abroad.
Felix6:

It's very disappointing seeing situations like this. After producing millions of engineering graduates we still rely on foreign artisans to construct our Roads. Most of these so called expatriates will not be given a contract for a dog pen in their countries, as they lack the requiste knowledge to do so. Reason our infrastructures failed before commissioning.
The so called developed countries make use of young engineers, technicians craftsmen etc in a locality to build every single road in that area. And they are being supervised by the council. Here in Nigeria, councils have been buried. Inviting foreigners for Road construction is a monumental fraud. What stops the States government from purchasing latest construction equipments, or even manufacture them here. It must not be totally high tech yet but atleast something that can hold its own here. Engage the locals and see wonders within short period, with less money spent; and of course institutions must be brutally strengthen to check corrupt supervisors and every other persons in the society. Anyone that still patronised foreign contractors for road construction is a criminal.
Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by Felix6: 9:43am On Dec 01, 2023
SSpeter:
That's not true, construction costs a lot of money and government do not pay on time, our Nigerian banks can't survive under such stress, but these Chinese companies can because they get funded from their home countries and can spread payments over a very long period
You no nothing about the discussion.
You are far from reality on this. I was closely involved in the industry for good number of years and know exactly what plays there.
The filt and corruption involved with foreign contractors and their local collaborators can trigger a civil unrest.
Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by SSpeter(m): 10:37am On Dec 01, 2023
Felix6:

You no nothing about the discussion.
You are far from reality on this. I was closely involved in the industry for good number of years and know exactly what plays there.
The filt and corruption involved with foreign contractors and their local collaborators can trigger a civil unrest.
At which point were you involved? Advisory? Financing? Legal & tendering? Construction management? or loan restructuring? Do you know how long it takes to repay a 10km by the government? This is not in open public but let me educate you, why did JB back-out from the construction of Dangote's refinery after having its fingers burnt severely? I will like to know the role you played in the industry.
Re: Alex Otti Inspects Federal Road Construction On Enugu-Aba-Port Harcourt Road by Simeonjoe1: 6:16pm On Dec 02, 2023
Rossikk:

A Nigerian firm built this skyscraper in Uyo.

Serious?
Drop link, and company web page

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route / Pro-jang Governors Stop Him From Reading Communiqué / Atiku To Buhari: I Speak For Millions, Victims Of Your Governance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.