Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,701 members, 7,844,315 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US (11433 Views)

EFCC Arrests Gov. Okorocha’s Aides For Pocketing N2 Billion Bailout Funds / Picture Of Gov Okorocha Demanding The Release Of Voters Held Illegally / Gov Okorocha Vs Fashola In Ear-wrestling (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by desertboom(m): 9:36pm On Oct 31, 2011
@Kobojunkie. . . What solid evidence do you want again? Why do you think I'm telling lies? I'm for real, I am not from this state, I am just a mere student that has come here to struggle for a better tomorrow for myself therefore I can't tell lies. You can check all my past posts/comments on this site, I've helped alot of prospective students of the Imo state uni. gained admission into this institution by rendering selfless service to them all. Once more, I've got nothing to gain here by telling lies but if you don't believe me forget about it all.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by micawber(m): 9:38pm On Oct 31, 2011
PointB:

The problem I have with you is that, either your gray matter is too small, or it is wrongly wired.

Do you know what an Exchange program is? Perhaps you should find out. When you do, you will understand why it is a whole new level for Imo State, if not Nigeria.

Every right thinking individual will encourage their leaders to pay more attention, not just to the quantity but also the quality of education. If the Exchange program is the acme of quality education, then so be it. In anycase, your pea sized brain is already wired to think that quality education and exchange program begins and end in the US.

Lol, 2015 has not begun indeed. Tell that to the marines!

Another of your smoke and mirror?

Btw: If you had a man-loving affair with EzeUche, I think you should go and look for him. Right now, you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't do men, let alone a half-witted, identity crises riddled almajiri. Piss off!

IMOLITES?NIGERIANS have been going for exchange years before your godfather governor thought of becoming a governor. So calm down, I doubt if you know what exchange is all about. Mind you it's not an employment!!!
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by manny4life(m): 9:41pm On Oct 31, 2011
Arguing with KOBO is a waste of time, ignore the argument with her because she will spin the argument in circles. Now, with that being said, I have a question for some one here

1. What are you against? The fact of the exchange program or the governor sponsoring the exchange program itself? Which is it? We have to know what people's anger is before we can commence

2. What criteria does a governor has to use to sponsor an exchange program? Like we must have up-to-par universities? Perhaps, yet-to-build classrooms? I mean what is the beef here?
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by micawber(m): 9:42pm On Oct 31, 2011
desertboom:

@Kobojunkie. . . What solid evidence do you want again? Why do you think I'm telling lies? I'm for real, I am not from this state, I am just a mere student that has come here to struggle for a better tomorrow for myself therefore I can't tell lies. You can check all my past posts/comments on this site, I've helped alot of prospective students of the Imo state uni. gained admission into this institution by rendering selfless service to them all. Once more, I've got nothing to gain here by telling lies but if you don't believe me forget about it all.

Like father like son. Does someone who got merit score require admission help? That is how you people run the govt in our dear state. You should rather be ashamed of what you are saying.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 9:42pm On Oct 31, 2011
desertboom:

Again .  . . .

Kobojunkie:

I myself am not in Imo state as I speak, and neither do I know who you are or if you are who you claim. All I see here is someone logged onto this forum here making some really firm claims of this -- There is absolutely no way for me to confirm that you even know what you claim or are who you claim to be.  And I am simply hoping this person(she/he) can present us here with equally solid evidence of his claim to help convince us of the claims made so far. Any person fit log on internet make claims these days . . . hence the reason why requesting backing is prudent even in this.

You have made some really strong claims on this issue. Now, think and figure out how you convince people who do not have any bleeping idea who you are, can be convinced that you are for real.

If someone comes into a room and tells you that if you stayed 24 more hours in that particular room, you would get 1 million naira, I know you, as a human being with a living brain, you would question that persons claims and even go as far as to request written evidence of any sort to ascertain that claims made are valid, and binding.

So far most other posters have only made frivolous claims of this scheme. You on the other hand caught my interest as you proceeded to make some definite claims, in some way expecting us to take you more seriously than the many others on here. You have my attention, and that of others--- feel free to convince us that you are not just a misguided youth sitting in front of a computer somewhere, having a field day lying to other internet users. grin

PS. How did you help prospective students gain admission into IMSU? You be one of those people wey dey do runs??  undecided undecided
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Reggie2(m): 9:44pm On Oct 31, 2011
People are just impossible! Some reasoning can simply be nauseating! Whatever one does, people will find motive to criticize the rationale behind it; not that this is in itself intrinsically bad, yet some non-constructive criticism are evil. Even India and China currently pushing ahead positively on world economic chart simply cannot resolve completely issues of poverty in their respective countries, neither can they do so in the next hundred years; there's so much poverty in the USA than many can imagine. Here's a guy who decided to invest in human recourse, yet armchair critics find fault with it. Let someone tell these critics that our fathers sold lands and other community property to send some of their children abroad and to high institutions. They did not change the world with their gesture but they were intelligent enough to invest in human recourse. Some of these sponsored brethren were lost to the white man but many came back to invested! Chinua achebe mentioned these noble  ideals in his Books. Rochas may not be able to change the entire world of IMO State but I still believe that since Mbakwe, who also could not change the world of IMO State due to obvious constraints, yet both men are/have impacted lives in IMO State. Owelle Rochas abeg carry go! Opposition is part of democracy, so don't be distracted.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by micawber(m): 9:46pm On Oct 31, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Again .  . . .

You have made some really strong claims on this issue. Now, think and figure out how you convince people who do not have any bleeping idea who you are, can be convinced that you are for real.

If someone comes into a room and tells you that if you stayed 24 more hours in that particular room, you would get 1 million naira, I know you, as a human being with a living brain, you would question that persons claims and even go as far as to request evidence of any sort to ascertain that claims made are true.

So far most other posters have only made frivolous claims of this scheme. You on the other hand caught my interest as you proceeded to make some definitely claims, in some way expecting us to take you more seriously than the many others on here. You have my attention--- feel free to convince us that you are not just a misguided youth sitting in front of a computer somewhere, having a field day lying to other internet users. grin

PS. How did you help prospective students gain admission into IMSU? You be one of those people wey dey do runs??  undecided undecided

Tell him, small r.a.t
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chamber2(m): 9:51pm On Oct 31, 2011
How is sending students on exchange program a waste of resources?  How many of you work with the Imo state govt to know how the fund for this program was raised?

Kobojunkie:

Again .  . . .

If someone comes into a room and tells you that if you stayed 24 more hours in that particular room, you would get 1 million naira, I know you, as a human being with a living brain, you would question that persons claims and even go as far as to request evidence of any sort to ascertain that claims made are true.

So far most other posters have only made frivolous claims of this scheme. You on the other hand caught my interest as you proceeded to make some definitely claims, in some way expecting us to take you more seriously than the many others on here. You have my attention--- feel free to convince us that you are not just a misguided youth sitting in front of a computer somewhere, having a field day lying to other internet users. grin

PS. How did you help prospective students gain admission into IMSU? You be one of those people wey dey do runs??  undecided undecided

So, you want evidence? From who exactly? From an innocent student who came in here to enlighten you on the criteria for the selection based on his experience and transparency of the program or do you want it from Okorocha himself? If you want evidence why not go to the imo state govt house and request for official documents to that effect or have you forgotten the FOI bill?
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by micawber(m): 9:52pm On Oct 31, 2011
Reggie2:

People are just impossible! Some reasoning can simply be nauseating! Whatever one does, people will find motive to criticize the rationale behind it; not that this is in itself intrinsically bad, yet some non-constructive criticism are evil. Even India and China currently pushing ahead positively on world economic chart simply cannot resolve completely issues of poverty in their respective countries, neither can they do so in the next hundred years; there's so much poverty in the USA than many can imagine. Here's a guy who decided to invest in human recourse, yet armchair critics find fault with it. Let someone tell these critics that our fathers sold lands and other community property to send some of their children abroad and to high institutions. They did not change the world with their gesture but they were intelligent enough to invest in human recourse. Some of these sponsored brethren were lost to the white man but many came back to invested! Chinua achebe mentioned these noble  ideals in his Books. Rochas may not be able to change the entire world of IMO State but I still believe that since Mbakwe, who also could not change the world of IMO State due to obvious constraints, yet both men are/have impacted lives in IMO State. Owelle Rochas abeg carry go! Opposition is part of democracy, so don't be distracted.

Do you know the number of youths (students) in Imo state? Parents strive to pay school fees to sustain students in school here in Imo, and Rochas gave out a whole lot of about N70,000,000.00 (if well converted) to sponsor foreign trip for just 60 students (politicians' children).

Grow up! and grow wise!! before you turn to a f.o.o.l
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chamber2(m): 9:55pm On Oct 31, 2011
micawber:

Do you know the number of youths (students) in Imo state? Parents strive to pay school fees to sustain students in school here in Imo, and Rochas gave out a whole lot of about N70,000,000.00 (if well converted) to sponsor foreign trip for just 60 students (politicians' children).

And so? Name any country in the world where education is free.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 9:56pm On Oct 31, 2011
chamber2:

How is sending students on exchange program a waste of resources?  How many of you work with the Imo state govt to know how the fund for this program was raised?

So, you want evidence? From who exactly? From an innocent student who came in here to enlighten you on the criteria for the selection based on his experience and transparency of the program or do you want it from Okorocha himself? If you want evidence why not go to the imo state govt house and request for official documents to that effect or have you forgotten the FOI bill?

If you are unable to read or comprehend what is typed, then I suggest you go back to school rather than waste space on a conversation you are unwilling to follow.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by PointB: 9:57pm On Oct 31, 2011
Reggie2:

Spot on!
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by micawber(m): 9:58pm On Oct 31, 2011
chamber2:

So, you want evidence? From who exactly? From an innocent student who came in here to enlighten you on the criteria for the selection based on his experience and transparency of the program or do you want it from Okorocha himself? If you want evidence why not go to the imo state govt house and request for official documents to that effect or have you forgotten the[b] FOI bill[/b]?

Of course you knew because you have been employed to stay online and pass fake info.
Not innocent, hired e-thug, be specific.
Was the bill made for Imo international exchange programme?
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by micawber(m): 10:04pm On Oct 31, 2011
What is exchange by the way?
Answers from Wiki,

, According to the U.S. government, foreign exchange programs exist to provide certain international cultural exchange programs designed to provide practical training and employment, and sharing of the history, culture, and traditions of participants home country citing the Q series international cultural exchange visa's specifications as provided by the U.S. department of state.[citation needed]

The term “exchanges” means that partnered institution exchange their student but not necessarily the students have to find a counterpart from the other institution to exchange with. No tradeoff is actually required. Two types of student exchange program are international and national student exchange program. A student exchange programs could be joined either by the secondary school or university student excluding National Student Exchange where it is design primarily for university student studying in American continent and its territory.[citation needed]

An exchange student could live with a host family or in a designated place including hostels, affordable apartment/house or student lodge. The cost for each program differs according to countries and institution. The participants could either apply/receive scholarship, self-funded or apply/receive loan,

[size=18pt]So tell me in history of the where exchange is sponsored by a governor? Okorocha should face what he was voted for and stop playing on some lay ignorance![/size]
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chamber2(m): 10:05pm On Oct 31, 2011
micawber:

Of course you knew because you have been employed to stay online and pass fake info.
Not innocent, hired e-thug, be specific.
Was the bill made for Imo international exchange programme?

If you had benefited from this program would you have come here to oppose it? Because Okorocha did not share the money with some godforsaken rent seekers makes the program a bad idea.

I strongly commend okorocha's gesture to these students and i hope it's sustained.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by desertboom(m): 10:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
@micawber. . . For the sake of sincerity and open mindedness I'll provide you with the above information you've requested; my real name is martins, 400level Mechanical Engineering. I am not around the school environment at the moment because of my internship. The scholarship is meant for people going for internship so you must be in your 400 or 300level depending on your program or course of study. Sir. . . I am neither an e-thug nor a  political or government agent as claimed by you. I've repeatedly told you that I'm not a native of this state, why must I lie? What empirical evidence do you want again from me?
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by ektbear: 10:09pm On Oct 31, 2011
So basically a study abroad program for a semester?

These claims of employment opportunities, investment opportunities are obviously a sham, studying abroad for a term isn't going to do any of that.

Eh, I don't think that this is a particularly good use of resources. However, if Imo State folk are happy with this, then no wahala.

Me personally though, I'd try to use my money more judiciously and intelligently.

Sending kids to study abroad presumably is not at the top of the priority list for Imo State.

Hell, spending the money on improving primary schools, secondary schools, or even the state universities would probably be more useful.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Kobojunkie: 10:10pm On Oct 31, 2011
I love when the typical nigerian logic come up. The  "IF I BENEFIT PERSONALLY, then NO MATTER HOW IRRATIONAL/ILLEGAL IT MAY REALLY BE , IT IS GOOD". Yes, same rationale those who get into politics each year, after years of talking of how they plan to change the polity, give when asked why they switch sides, to deem it Ok to loot and steal as they want., once elected  grin grin grin
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Otunne1: 10:13pm On Oct 31, 2011
@micawber it is only a mad man that will compare rochas with ohakim your godfather. I am a full nwa afu 4rm njaba. Rochas has actually done well 4 imsu so far, 1st by getting rid of nwaebo as vc, 2nd by increasing imsu monthly subvention 4rm 57 million to 100 million and he is still willing to do more, 3rd while you told us that he ask imsu mgt to generate funds internally, you did not tell us that at the same time and place he approved over 200 million grant for the school, and promised fix their electricity and water problem. Unlike ohakigi your godfather who did not put a single block in imsu. Sorry for your brother(a victim of 10,000 job non sense)
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chamber2(m): 10:15pm On Oct 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

These claims of employment opportunities, investment opportunities are obviously a sham, studying abroad for a term isn't going to do any of that.

Eh, I don't think that this is a particularly good use of resources. However, if Imo State folk are happy with this, then no wahala.

Me personally though, I'd try to use my money more judiciously and intelligently.

Sending kids to study abroad presumably is not at the top of the priority list for Imo State.

Hell, spending the money on improving primary schools, secondary schools, or even the state universities would probably be more useful.

Bros, this same man released N2b+ each for the renovation of all primary and secondary schools in the state. Imo state university is his next priority. A semester spent in a good university abroad is better than 4 yrs spent in any Nigerian university.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by ektbear: 10:15pm On Oct 31, 2011
Though he is correct, it will create business opportunities.

For the town (College Park, Maryland?) that will get the money that Imo State is spending on these students grin

But business/investment opportunities for Imo? Not likely
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Reggie2(m): 10:18pm On Oct 31, 2011

Quote from: micawber on Today at 09:52:07

Bad belle people like you make the likes of Philip Emeagwali to remain abroad! One hundred students do not make one hundred Emeagwalis, remember.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by chamber2(m): 10:18pm On Oct 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

Though he is correct, it will create business opportunities.

For the town (College Park, Maryland?) that will get the money that Imo State is spending on these students grin

But business/investment opportunities for Imo? Not likely

The focus of the gov is on the long run impart of this program and not the ''foreign investor'' preaching we are reading on this forum.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by manny4life(m): 10:19pm On Oct 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

Yeah, study abroad exchange programs come in different forms and fashion--- most are hands-on practical experience depending on what field you're into. Although it might not be a priority at this time; however, within schools have sponsored students abroad for different programs. Then again, it depends on how you see it as employment opportunities; if it gives them a better edge, then it is. Though an exchange program on it's face a program, but like I said, it no one can for sure say exactly what terms of the programs are.

Here's a simple comparison; if a state can sponsor resident students through scholarship for their Freshman / Sophomore year, I don't see anything wrong if the same govt utilizes it's resources to sponsor programs that allow students to expand their horizon and practical learning experience.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by ektbear: 10:22pm On Oct 31, 2011
chamber2:

Bros, this same man released N2b+ each for the renovation of all primary and secondary schools in the state. Imo state university is his next priority.
So he is likely going to spend at least $10k/student, right? That is $600k. If it were me I'd spend that money on merit scholarships for Imo State high schoolers to go to university. Which is better, 60 students studying at UMD for a term, or 2000 $300 scholarships for promising Imo high schoolers?

I'd take the latter over the former every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

The guy doesn't quite have his priorities straight. But like I said, if nobody in Imo has a problem with it, then no wahala.

A semester spent in a good university abroad is better than 4 yrs spent in any Nigerian university.
One semester abroad won't change much. It really won't. They'll take like 3 or 4 classes, get some exposure to some better faculty, material, but all at a very high cost. Won't change anything when they return to naija.

Most are science you cannot underestimate the power of exposure, even for one day.
If the exposure is free, then sure. But if it is costing $7k+/head, then I would hope that one would ask questions.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by ektbear: 10:26pm On Oct 31, 2011
chamber2:

The focus of the gov is on the long run impart of this program and not the ''foreign investor'' preaching we are reading on this forum.

My brother, kindly explain what the long run impact will be of some students spending 6 months abroad studying at UMD.

They'll take 2 or 3 technical classes, party, drink, and meet lots of gorgeous akata and oyinbo women in Prince George's County grin grin

Which is all wonderful stuff, to be quite sure. But won't have any impact on Imo State's fortunes in the future.

I could even see if Imo was sending them abroad to WORK at some company for 6 months. Then you bring them back and immediately put their skills to work building a smaller version of whichever company they worked at. But just going to school somewhere, only for a semester?

Ain't going to do diddly squat
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by Otunne1: 10:30pm On Oct 31, 2011
@ekt_bear, dnt worry about the primary and secondary schools, something has been done, which will manifest very soon(building of 305 new primary schools, europian standard, and the release of 2bn monthly, for renovation of old ones)
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by ektbear: 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2011
manny4life:

Yeah, study abroad exchange programs come in different forms and fashion--- most are hands-on practical experience depending on what field you're into.
Err, what Most study abroad experiences are actually the opposite of hand-on practical experience. You'll be taking classes, not actually doing any sort of work internship.

At best you take a project-oriented class. But even that isn't really a substitute for real-world experience.

Although it might not be a priority at this time; however, within schools have sponsored students abroad for different programs. Then again, it depends on how you see it as employment opportunities; if it gives them a better edge, then it is. Though an exchange program on it's face a program, but like I said, it no one can for sure say exactly what terms of the programs are.

Here's a simple comparison; if a state can sponsor resident students through scholarship for their Freshman / Sophomore year, I don't see anything wrong if the same govt utilizes it's resources to sponsor programs that allow students to expand their horizon and practical learning experience.
There are a finite amount of resources available, though. You always have to ask yourself, "what gives me the best b[i]a[/i]ng for my buck?" Do you honestly believe that this is the best possible way Imo State could spend ~$600K? I don't believe it, you don't believe it, and Rochas sef doesn't believe it.

There are higher priorities that he should be facing.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by kasiem(m): 10:31pm On Oct 31, 2011
Micbawer,
do u think that u can delude everybody here with dippy claim of leaving in owerri? Man, i'm living opposite water board, and on the issu of roads construction, it'll be nefarious of u to derogate rochas' splendiferous work in that area. Are u telling me that u've not stepped ur leprosy-infested toes on that imsu roads renovated by rochas administration? Oh, u want him to ubiquitously reconstruct all the abysmal roads in less than a year? Are ignorant of this nascent program introduced for the retraining of teachers all over the state every month? Are u oblivious of the fact that all SE gov'nors took the decision of increasing school fees, which ohakigi capitulated to by vociferously augmenting imsu's school fees to 150 thousand( but due to election pressure he never implemented it)? Abeg, stop asphyxiating this ambience with halitosis if u've got zilch to say.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by ektbear: 10:36pm On Oct 31, 2011
In the grand scheme of things, this amount of money that he is spending unwisely probably won't matter.

But I think that the best way to approach this type of stuff is to ask yourself if what you are doing is really the best way to spend your state's money.

And it is kind of clear what the answer to that question is, in this case.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by manny4life(m): 10:40pm On Oct 31, 2011
ekt_bear:

Err, what Most study abroad experiences are actually the opposite of hand-on practical experience. You'll be taking classes, not actually doing any sort of work internship.
There are a finite amount of resources available, though. You always have to ask yourself, "what gives me the best slam for my buck?" Do you honestly believe that this is the best possible way Imo State could spend ~$600K? I don't believe it, you don't believe it, and Rochas sef doesn't believe it.

There are higher priorities that he should be facing.

That's my whole point; there are some exchange programs that involve internship as well. An exchange on it's surface is just students going to a university for up to a period of a full academic year; however, while being a student, for instance if you're Junior (2nd semester) or preferably Senior, you can actually intern. There are different terms and agreements between exchanging students and the university. Exchange programs ARE NOT structured, exchange programs might not be necessarily just going to class, it could involve other activities as well.

While I agree that $600k could be put to good use; we may never know the intent of this program. There might be different concept in mind for this program, we may never know. The money could be used for other things, I agree; however, a gov may choose a different approach to solving human intellectual resource a different way.
Re: Gov Okorocha Sponsors 60 Imo Students To The US by desertboom(m): 10:44pm On Oct 31, 2011
micawber and KOBO. . . It's either you both can't read well or you lack comprehension. Didn't you both saw were I wrote selfless service, am I the VC of the institution to provide people with free admission. What I mean is that I've helped by giving out valuable information to prospective students that has help them gained admission into the institution. For your information, I'm too discipline to encourage bribing and corruption not to talk of doing RUNS as both of you claimed. Why do you want to force words out of my mouth?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The National Social Investment Programme (N-SIP) Event / 70% Of Nigeria’s N5.2 Trillion Tax Revenue Was Contributed By Lagos State / Tinubu's Daughter: I Can Choose Anybody To Head Computer Village Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.