Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,832 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:27 PM

Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US (54621 Views)

Cost Of Living In UK Compared To Nigeria (Photos) / Lauretta Onochie: Food Is Cheaper This Season Than Same Time Last Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by nedekid: 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2023
Guy, the issue here is 10 pounds is 1 hr salary at minimum wage.
The op showed what 1hr salary can buy for you. Ie 1 hr of minimum wage earnings.
If you wish to compare, calculate the your minimum monthly wage. Then divide it by 28-30 days. Then by 8 hrs. Then you will know how much per hour is minimum wage in Nigeria.
You can then know if that can buy those items op listed there.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by YesDaddyTill203: 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2023
All these shallow brains comparing Nigeria with UK or US are just some of the dumbest fools in Nigeria.
Where was Nigeria in 1900 when US and UK were already industrialized with real economies? Building trains, cars, electricity and so on.
Most of your forefathers were still in the bush with leaves covering their private parts.
Pathetic asinin comparison.

They want to compare economics, but they are not comparing brains.
What has any Nigerian invented that is of real use to the rest of humanity? A Nigerian, born in Nigeria and educated in Nigeria.
You have young people coming up with new technologies in the West, those in Nigeria are more concerned with religion and tribal maladies, but they want their economy to be like the US. CLOWNS.
The govt only creat an environment. It's the people that creates jobs and big economy.

How many economies can you even compare to the US in the whole world? NONE! The US economy is the biggest and the best. No one compares, not even the UK, but my people expect their govt to make their economy like the US with mostly chum change that they are getting from oil.
Let me let you in on a secret - NIGERIA IS A POOR COUNTRY.
Two hundred million people with the revenue from oil is peanuts.
Pls stop the JOKE grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Amount(m): 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400
1 Midium size Butter = N600
2 Gino Tomato paste = N1,000

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin

Tinubu brother don drop quote grin
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Mandate1: 8:15pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:
I'm posting this as a response to the topic that made Nairaland front page yesterday; "See What Someone Bought With An Hour Minimum Wage In The UK £10", the link: https://www.nairaland.com/7929193/see-what-someone-bought-hour

UK & US ARE OVER-RATED NIGERIA IS STILL BETTER in terms of cost of living see a practical example why doing a price comparison: 1 pound to 1 naira today is N1,001 so are you saying with £10 x N1,001 = N10,001 you cannot buy everything in that basket and collect change in Nigeria today?

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

Total = N8,800 so your change is N1,200 that's if you exchange pound to naira at offical rate and buying at the most expensive stores or high brands. If you exchange at black market rate and buy at public market "days" you will collect as much as N6,000 after buying everything in that basket....that's about £6 left.

LET'S JUST THANK GOD FOR WHAT WE HAVE AND STOP LOOKING AT AND GLORIFYING ANOTHER MAN'S LAND MORE THAN OUR OWN....OUR OWN NA OUR OWN O grin
why are you lying to urself? The meat alone is more than 10k in Nigeria. That meat is more than 3kilos, how much is a kilo of turkey meat in Nigeria. A kilo of turkey meat is just 3 pieces. How many pieces do you have there?

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by loswhite(m): 8:15pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

The focus is not on 10 pounds but on what he was able to buy with 1 hour pay. Next time have a better understanding of a topic before responding so you will not display ignorance. The problem of Nigeria is the citizens.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by nedekid: 8:15pm On Dec 03, 2023
mbaise1000:
How about the poster show us what one hour wage in nigeria will buy?
These are some of the reasons why those of us that didn't go to any school doesn't regret not going to School, seeing how those that will claim being the most educated and intelligent amongst us reason
My brother I weak. That poster just came online to embarrass himself. Lol

4 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Ttipsy(f): 8:16pm On Dec 03, 2023
Higher price
Lower qty
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by tctrills: 8:16pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

It takes the average Nigeria 5 days to afford these but just one hour in UK or US
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by jojothaiv(m): 8:16pm On Dec 03, 2023
MEEVEET:

Lmao

It cost you 1 hour to earn that money in the UK... Ok minimum wage ooh

In Nigeria it would take you just over a week to earn that on minimum wage

So please do you calculations again
OP wasn't objective with the analysis.

He should also have compare the strength of the currency, the hourly rates for workers here and the cost of foodstuff across the 36 states before making such inferences.

Not that we don't like Nigeria as many would love to say but we just want a country where dreams come true, a country where things work out, a country where I don't have to japa to another just to have a feel of what's require of those elected.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by MT: 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2023
LikeAking:
Point of correction, the quality of the products here and there are not the same..

Life is cheaper in Yanke than Naija, @ OP..

U must not argue everything…

I don’t think you have a car at your age in Nigeria, but it’s a norm in Yankee..

We’re will Nigerians earn one hour wage of 12k..

Secondly, I don’t think you eat or even buy food stuffs, or give ur gf money to go to the market..

What’s inside that basket is more than 6500.

It is a debt culture in the western world.

Most Nigerians outrightly own their cars.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by vince96w2(m): 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2023
LikeAking:
Cost of living is cheaper there..

Way cheaper…

At least they earn big and spend big, unlike Nigeria.
cost is not only food..they earn bigger but spend bigger too .House rent a month there can be 2 years or more here. Transport a month there can be more than ur salary here..what of the bills, light,phone, water etc..Life is better there as per amenities but cheaper here ...Poor amenities are as a result of leaders...if you convert 100 pounds to naira, a man can live ok here and you work less than there ..I even forgot to mention tax there ..My friend said his rent is half of his salary every month...Then tax.. He earns big but it goes too ..our leaders are our problems if not its better here

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by gracealonev: 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2023
MEEVEET:

Lmao

What surprises me is that, even some vegetables like carrots are way cheaper here in the UK. Only cucumber and African food are cheaper in Nigeria.
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by jojothaiv(m): 8:17pm On Dec 03, 2023
mbaise1000:
How about the poster show us what one hour wage in nigeria will buy?
These are some of the reasons why those of us that didn't go to any school doesn't regret not going to School, seeing how those that will claim being the most educated and intelligent amongst us reason
OP is disappointing, pick the side of convenience and trash the other factors like it's irrelevant.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by nedekid: 8:18pm On Dec 03, 2023
Chokehold:
Who posted this nonsense? Live chicken N3,000?
Obviously, he is being feed.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by vince96w2(m): 8:18pm On Dec 03, 2023
MEEVEET:

Lmao

it cost one hour but when I earn it for a month, your tax and house rent with bills take all ur hard work away unline here...a month's rent there is more than a years rent here etc
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Zidane199(m): 8:19pm On Dec 03, 2023
E no go better for the OP. Person use 1hr money go supermarket and u still dey talk rubbish. Once again, e no go better for the OP

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by BabaHenry(m): 8:19pm On Dec 03, 2023
Difrent:

Other workers are other workers. Doctors are Doctors
It costs so much to train one. Government subsidized medical education for the good of Nigerians not for the good of UK.
Dont tell me about wages... Doctors are among the best paid Nigerians.
Equipment?...not bad. (But you trained with those equipments manage it to work too)
Working conditions?...they have one of the best in the country
And like I said
It will make more sense if you want go work in the UK to train as a doctor in the UK too
Why do you think even UK citizens are not even studying medicine.....it's the cost
The UK health system is heavily reliant on medical workers from India and Nigeria.
The UK government is gaming it's two biggest former colony

You are an old fool....
I no wan follow you talk anything this night make I just dey look...
No mention me oo, because this night no go contain me and you, idiot..

Because they subsidized medical education, thy should fail to give them their rights abi ,?
Because they subsidized medical education, they should refuse to pay their salary on time ?
Because they subsidized medical education, they should be paying them shit they can't pay for any public office other right ?

Tell me if you are making any sense...
Before you start saying bullshit, I have a sister who trains as a registered nurse in the US and she is doing well as we speak, a friend of my Dad too, retired, who also trained as a medical doctor in the UK already had houses both home and abroad and he never for once complained of the government.... Is that the same story here ?

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by jaxxy(m): 8:19pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

Lmao u don't even know what u are doing.

It is ur country that sell bread at N800 which is criminal.

in the us such bread isn't sold at the equivalent of N800 it is sold at the equivalent of N1 or less.

Do u understand?
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by tegrianonigltd(m): 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

You guys focus on the money earned but not on what the money earned can purchase....the purchasing power of the money. See another analysis for you to stop Lmao grin

If our bobo londoner works for the standard 8 hours per day and earning £10 per hour and he works for 5 days a week; he would have earned = £10 x 8 hours = £80/ day x 5 days/week = £400/week x 4 weeks = £1,600 per month. With this earning bobo londoner is taking nothing home at month end and cannot afford to buy that kind of £10 food every day if he does he might be in debt see why:

Now for bobo pays average of £1,480 for house rent monthly and pays average of £140 for transportation to work. That's £1,480 + £140 = £1,600 per month ONLYgrin. If bobo londoner tries to buy his £10 food everyday as man must wak that's £10 x 30 days = £300 per month.

Therefore, bobo londoner must werk grin on Saturdays to survive that's £80 x 6 days × 4 weeks = £1,920 - £1,480 - £140 - £300 = £0.00 per month grin

So Bobo Londoner must werk grin on Sundays to have £80 at every month end grin

Workers in Nigeria do not work on Saturdays and Sundays before you start your comparison again grin

Who never come abroad dey analyze lol. You can get a room in London for 600, 10.42 is minimum wage, in London, they pay 11.5 because of the standard of living. Imagine after tax you see 1530, you get a room for 550 or 600, transport 100, feeding 60

That’s let say 800 per month, e still has 730 which is 850k monthly to save, and most of them do overtime, so he can save 1m or more monthly in a year, 12-13 m if he is deligently, that’s for an average person ooh, people like us who earn more than 2500, imagine how much we save.

Shut up.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by SMARTMOTORS(m): 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2023
Oga can you make 10k in one hour here in Nigeria
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by BabaHenry(m): 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2023
Zidane199:
E no go better for the OP. Person use 1hr money go supermarket and u still dey talk rubbish. Once again, e no go better for the OP
Amen x 100

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by loswhite(m): 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2023
YesDaddyTill203:
All these shallow brains comparing Nigeria with UK or US are just some of the dumbest fools in Nigeria.
Where was Nigeria in 1900 when US and UK were already industrialized with real economies? Building trains, cars, electricity and so on.
Most of your forefathers were still in the bush with leaves covering their private parts.
Pathetic asinin comparison.

They want to compare economics, but they are not comparing brains.
What has any Nigerian invented that is of real use to the rest of humanity? A Nigerian, born in Nigeria and educated in Nigeria.
You have young people coming up with new technologies in the West, those in Nigeria are more concerned with religion and tribal maladies, but they want their economy to be like the US. CLOWNS.
The govt only creat an environment. It's the people that creates jobs and big economy.

How many economies can you even compare to the US in the whole world? NONE! The US economy is the biggest and the best. No one compares, not even the UK, but my people expect their govt to make their economy like the US with mostly chum change that they are getting from oil.
Let me let you in on a secret - NIGERIA IS A POOR COUNTRY.
Two hundred million people with the revenue from oil is peanuts.
Pls stop the JOKE grin
Can you say the government is creating the environment? Do you understand the importance of government policies? Do you understand the numerous projects and research funded by the governments you mentioned? Do you have electricity? Who is responsible for the refineries not functioning? The greatest problem of this country is the citizens. Nigeria as a poor country should not have extravagant politicians that leave a lavish life style like they are not a poor country.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Stephench: 8:22pm On Dec 03, 2023
OP needs to get some education

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by nedekid: 8:22pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

OP. Bless your humble mind. You tried.
What is your level of education, PhD I guess. Such a wise smart fella.
Well done ehh...
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by izubext007: 8:23pm On Dec 03, 2023
Bro God to market and do price check again.
The quality alone self go tell u say u never understand
Full day job for naija nal 3500 so wetin u dey talk
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by RUDEBOYY(m): 8:24pm On Dec 03, 2023
I talk am say someone will just come and convert the 10pounds to naira 😁
Op abegg this shameful that amount there is just an hour minimum wage over there.
Now calculate how much you earn per hour here in Nigeria and tell us how long it will take you to make as much to buy the stuff in the basket.
Down here chicken is seen as a rich man food.
You sound like some one who is still living with parents and eat free food
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Ugochukwu79: 8:24pm On Dec 03, 2023
I am sure you failed woefully in mathematics and economics, or you intentionally want to be unrealistic...comparing an hour earning with almost a month earning ( using pos attendants as a yardstick).

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by samdaisi: 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2023
The man that wrote this must be drunk if not you can't compare an hour wage in UK which is 10 pounds to ten thousand naira that private school teachers receive as a salary salary in Nigeria, nonsense
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by mechoau(m): 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2023
psalmsjob:

1 Sliced Bread = N800
2 Spaghetti = N1400
1 Gesha = N600
1 live chicken = N3,000
1 75cl soya Oil = N1,400

As i am typing like this, i am at work in Stockport, my shift is 7:00- 22:00pm which is 15hrs and the nature of the job is support work, just sitting down after morning personal care with just four (4) citizen and we are just 3 staff on duty.

Do you know how much today pay is? During the week, the pay is £10.90 and on Sunday it’s double pay in Stockport, now today pay is £21.80 per hour, now do your maths

15hours multiply by £21.80= £327 for today. Please convert this to Nigeria and how much is that in naira? Keep deceiving yourself with your poor idea.

I earn above £2500 monthly and my shared rent monthly is just £320 with bills. Just keep deceiving yourself

For proof, i have attached one of my old payslip to show per rate so you won’t think I’m just bragging with lies. Now i worked yesterday long day, worked today and I’m still working tomorrow…

Note: my permanent job pay 14:80 per hr so wise up

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by solex75(m): 8:26pm On Dec 03, 2023
[quote author=

In the past 2 years UK has made over 50billion pounds from Nigerians alone to shore up it's ailing economy and to keep the economy running they make sure they are stuck in jobs their own citizens refused to do while paying heavy taxes at the end of the day....Nigeria and Nigerian economy loses

Kindly balance it with diaspora remittance

What is the total diaspora remittance to Nigeria 2022?

20.13 billion U.S. dollars
The personal remittances received in Nigeria increased by 0.7 billion U.S. dollars (+3.59 percent) in 2022 in comparison to the previous year. In total, the personal remittances received amounted to 20.13 billion U.S. dollars in 2022.17 Nov 2023
/quote]
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by Bimpe29: 8:26pm On Dec 03, 2023
And the standard of living is more accessible in the UK and USA than in Nigeria
Re: Cost Of Living In Nigeria Is Cheaper Than UK Or US by princejones(m): 8:27pm On Dec 03, 2023
An hour wage of €10,have you consider Nigeria wage before comparing prices.. Calculate that hour per wage in a month and come back and check the reality

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

2023: "Oshiomhole For President, El-Rufai For VP" Poster Spotted In Lagos (Photo / Lovely Photos Of The Emir Of Kano And His Family / Gumsu, General Sani Abacha's Daughter In APC Regalia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.