Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. (15813 Views)

Coronavirus: Share Your Experience Staying At Home / Share Your Experience(s) With Nigerian Doctors / Nigerian Doctors And Nurses Are Incompetent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by BRATISLAVA: 12:03pm On Dec 10, 2023
opicgif:
I won't use the word incompetent

For some, inexperience
For some, stress of the work
For most, it's pride.

Mine is UPTH, 2016
A surgeon

He pronounced my name, and asked why I pronounced it another way
I told him, the way I pronounced it is the right way
Polite discussion, I was even smiling, thinking it's a normal human being I was talking to

He shouted that I'm not a serious human being, that I can't even pronounce my name
Told me I should leave his office

I was still smiling, I thought it was a joke,
Long story short, he chased me out of the office.
The matron outside signaled another woman to enter his office, elderly woman, probably 70's, the surgeon started shouting she's walking too slow, and it's like she's not serious.
Other patients were replying

"doctor take it easy na, don't you have a mother?, this is a government hospital na, take it easy doctor"

He started shouting to the matron to call another patient.

UPTH will humble you in this life. I kept wondering if I went ahead with the surgery there, the man can even slap me on the hospital bed.

N/B
This period was a very depressing period in my life. Low self esteem at its lowest ever. I couldn't even speak back. Zero confidence. No job. I regret leaving the hospital like a coward till today. Especially after the surgeon shouted at the elderly woman.

Sounds like a mentally ill doctor. And the matron did not think to report him. Astonishing incompetence.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by dohyn(m): 12:03pm On Dec 10, 2023
Tor. It's the doctors that still decide to stay in Nigeria that I blame...

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Discountsempai: 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2023
Error401:
There was a time I had a bulge on my left eye. I googled online and what I saw was similar to a chalazion, every symptoms matched.
When I got to the doctor, he told me I needed to do a scan because it could be attached to my skull and bla bla bla.
I told him I have read about this and I think I have chalazion. He took some minutes to examine again and referred me to an Ophthalmologists. Its a very simple surgery actually, I didnt know why he was talking about scans and all.

Good on the doctor for listening to you.

Though some brain tumors can present with bulging in eyes, but at the same time there may be additional symptoms like eye problems, loss of balance, etc
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Greenfusion: 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2023
It can be a terrible experience sometimes as some of our doctors are only malaria doctors, any little thing is malaria, no proper investigation or diagnosis.......but sometimes I don't blame some much, the field is not easy, the human body is very complex and lack of diagnostic machines to help their work is lacking...Govt has purposely and wickedly refused to equip our hospitals because they can travel out and get access to good health care.....we have the brains if we can make alot of equipment available.

Na God's grace dey help us survive for Nigerian hospitals sincerely.

8 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by BRATISLAVA: 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2023
brain54:
Not only Nigerian doctors give wrong diagnosis though...

There are wicked people in doctor positions all over the world. The worst are the ones practicing surgery.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by madridguy(m): 12:04pm On Dec 10, 2023
And you didn't bother to use blow to break two or three of the dentist teeth too?

KOMBE:
A dentist removed a wrong tooth instead of the one paining me. When I discovered the mistake I felt like strangulating him undecided

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by drimzsmoke(m): 12:05pm On Dec 10, 2023
Wizuman:

Always consult Google any time you are with these so called "doctors'. .

If you should come to me with Google diagnosis, I'd ask you to leave and go and treat yourself with Google treatment!!!

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Basic123: 12:05pm On Dec 10, 2023
nwakibe:
Most of the times we think Drs are incompetent are not true. I can remember when my brother's wife was diagnosed of hormonal imbalance. The Dr gave her contraceptive drug among other hormonal drugs. When I saw the drug, I was mad. How can you give contraceptive drug to a woman that is struggling with conception. I took her back to the Dr., I was ashamed of myself after the Dr's explanation. To the glory of God, she has 3 smart kids now. Let the Dr's breath...
You are the only smart and sensible person I have seen here.
Its very amazing how someone that has f9 in biology will be assessing doctors competence.

And the problem is due to the fact that Nigerian doctors have limited time to do the standard practice of explaining diagnosis and treatment plan to patient due to workload.

The most stupid thing is the word "NIGERIAN" doctor!

7 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Error401: 12:05pm On Dec 10, 2023
In my own case, it was a painless bulge.
There was literally no correlation with an xray or something. It was just filled with fat when I did the surgery.
Discountsempai:

Good on the doctor for listening to you.

Though some brain tumors can present with bulging in eyes, but at the same time there may be additional symptoms like eye problems, loss of balance, etc
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Komu1048(m): 12:06pm On Dec 10, 2023
With the mass exodus of real doctors, we r left with mediocre.

Mine happen around September, I don’t know if it’s a case of off-minded or overworked.

When I was consulting with the doctor on the symptoms I was having. This doctor kept writing all the test in this life, he wrote upto 11 test for ulcer symptoms at once. Those test took almost all my savings but since o need cure I didnt care. When I was now discussing with a doc friend of mine he said I only need 2of those tests. Last last when I went back to the hospital I met another doctor on his seat, that one said the same thing that y will I do all this irrelevant test , that one only made us of two test result and prescribe drugs base on them.

Second doctor must be a newbie, that one want to create a blood line on my vein, Jesus she will try it more than 5times until a nurse have to help her. U have to see how she was shaking n swearing profusely. I just kept looking at her, using me as experiment

6 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Discountsempai: 12:07pm On Dec 10, 2023
Greenfusion:
It can be a terrible experience sometimes as some of our doctors are only malaria doctors, any little thing is malaria, no proper investigation or diagnosis.......but sometimes I don't blame some much, the field is not easy, the human body is very complex and lack of diagnostic machines to help their work is lacking...Govt has purposely and wickedly refused to equip our hospitals because they can travel out and get access to good health care.....we have the brains if we can make alot of equipment available.

Na God's grace dey help us survive for Nigerian hospitals sincerely.

Well research has shown that if it is fever it is most likely malaria.in the tropics at least!

But at the same time we would love to do more detailed investigations, it is just that the lab is limited in what they can do , or the patient's nhis provider is refusing to approve certian investigations, or money is a problem
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Amayabor1: 12:07pm On Dec 10, 2023
Resetinc:
Haaa😂
The best doctors give the least medicine , others are just doing medical business 😂😂

imagine a doctor rejected my lab result just because I didn’t do the lab at the laboratory he referred me to .. which I later found out belongs to his wife…
doctors are just the same as lawyers, the only difference is that lawyers merely rob you, whereas doctors rob you and kill you too…

if your doctor say you have 6 weeks to live, just tell him the money you’re expecting to pay his bills will arrive in a couple of months… he will check you again and give you 6 months to live..😂😂😂

That doctor may have been wrong to refer you to his wife's lab, but the truth is that, as a doctor, the lab you send your patients for tests is very important. Imagine a doctor treating a patient for a condition the patient doesn't have because a lab result from a wack lab says the patient has the condition. That is why, if you bring your result from anyhow lab that the doctor doesn't trust, he wouldn't accept the lab result.

Generally sef, for many federal teaching hospitals, if the lab result is not from the hospital itself, forget it. They will tell you to throw it away that you should do another one in the hospital's lab.

4 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Discountsempai: 12:08pm On Dec 10, 2023
Error401:
In my own case, it was a painless bulge.
There was literally no correlation with an xray or something. It was just filled with fat when I did the surgery.

Yeah, no pain,no vision issues.

Like they tell us in medical school, think if simple things first.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by TONYE001(m): 12:09pm On Dec 10, 2023
Wizuman:
I have heard the saying that "[i]the doctors know bette[/i]r", but it is not always the truth.. I have encountered terrible and poorly trained doctors. I will cite 2 scenarios.
1. About a decade ago, my uncle who had been having feverish feeling woke up one morning with blood stains in his eyes. I was assigned to take him to a popular church hospital, somewhere in Oloosha mushin. On getting there, the doctor on duty examined him and concluded we had to start eye treatment, that the eye must have been injured. He asked if d man ever had any thing hit him in the eye, and the man answered no, yet the fùfú doctor insisted we must commence eye treatment. Anyway we left because their fee were too high.
We then went to Mushin Local Govt Community hospital in Palm Avenue. The doctor on seat was a graduate of OAU, whom I knew earlier in the neighbourhood. We exchanged pleasantries and he started diagnosis on my uncle. Guess what, after the excellent diagnosis, he deduced that the man's BP rose so much and his veins (including the one in d eyeball bursted). We starred BP treatment, and to God's glory, the man's health was stabilised and his eyes were clear in a short time.

2. M The second one happened in 2019, to my church member who was down with fever. He was in a community hospital around Ayobo, Lagos, and the female doctor knew he needed urgent malaria treatment, so she ordered us to take him to the general hospital somewhere in Alimosho. On getting to d general hospital, the doctor on duty refused to attend to him. In fact we saw the doctor a few meters away discussing with a lady. When I saw the situation of the brother, I picked him and we went to join the doctor, and he grudgingly disengaged d lady.
The diagnosis started and the doctor said "I saw u when u guys came in, u were staggering. Tell me the truth, do use any drugs? ". The young man answered *no*. Then the doctor responded, "u are not ready to be helped".
The young patient brought out his cellphone and said "sir I saw it online that when malaria parasites cumulative so much in d blood stream, they can block the blood vessels supplying the brain, thus affecting balance, memory and so on". The young man is not even anything near a medical professional. He was a struggling graduate, trying to explore computer programming career.
The doctor felt so embarrassed and answered "aren't u a Christian? Are u supposed to believe such....", in an attempt to cover for his failure. Then he wrote something in a paper and gave me, asked me to take it to d pharmacy. It was MALARIA injection that was written there. I bought it and he directed us to somewhere nurses were, and the young man was given d injection, and we also bought malaria medications on the counter, and to cut long story short, the young man recovered.

Always consult Google any time you are with these so called "doctors'. . Most of the people we call doctors nowadays are young children who weren't smart enough to pass jamb, and their parents used alternative admission routes to help them study Medicine.
Moral of my epistle: The doctors don't always know better.

Your conclusion is horrible, to say the least.

How you arrived at this conclusion from 2 unverifiable experiences is marvelling.

Well done.

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Kenmatt(m): 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2023
Otunbakayce:
Fine, don't go to hospital anymore just make google your Doctor.
So a Doctor trying to make a differential diagnosis of drug abuse which is rampant among youths is now incompetent.
The MOD that pushed this yeah to the front page needs to be relieved of his job.

One of the quack doctors on the beat.

9 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by madridguy(m): 12:10pm On Dec 10, 2023
Accept my condolences.

Aquadude16:
That bastard just killed my brother's wife last week because of greed
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Basic123: 12:11pm On Dec 10, 2023
COMMENTS HERE ONLY SHOW THAT NIGERIANS ARE ONLY VERY IGNORANT OF MEDICAL METHODS NOT REALLY DOCTORS INCOMPETENCE.

CONTINUE CONSULTING GOOGLE...YOUR IGNORANCE WILL TEACH YOU A LESSON!

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Juniorangel(m): 12:13pm On Dec 10, 2023
Back in secondary school I was sick and was admitted, so after lab results came out it was malaria and the next step was to commence treatment but the doctor was not around my condition was very bad mumsy was telling the nurse to start treatment since it was just drip and some injections but the nurse decided to wait for the doctor since it was just 9am that the doctor was already on his way, we waited for doctor until 3pm doctor was nowhere to be found and the nurse decided to start treatment with just the drip.

I was on my second drip when doctor showed up around 8pm and drunk he was mad at the nurse for starting treatment without him next thing doctor did was to remove my drip that was going well ooo and said the nurse doesn't know how to put drip... Na so doctor start to poke my arms looking for vein, he finally found one and after like 5 mins my hand started swelling up that was when my mum begged the nurse to remove it and put it back like she did the first time.
I later found out from a friend that that particular day the doctor was drunk to stupor and even forgot his car where he had gone to drink...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by opicgif: 12:13pm On Dec 10, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

Sounds like a mentally ill doctor. And the matron did not think to report him. Astonishing incompetence.

Nooo
I think it's stress from the work
And as I earlier said pride!
Superiority complex

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Basic123: 12:15pm On Dec 10, 2023
Amayabor1:

That doctor may have been wrong to refer you to his wife's lab, but the truth is that, as a doctor, the lab you send your patients for tests is very important. Imagine a doctor treating a patient for a condition the patient doesn't have because a lab request from a wack lab says the patient has the condition. That is why, if you bring your result from anyhow lab that the doctor doesn't trust, he wouldn't accept the lab result.

Generally sef, for many federal teaching hospital, if the lab result is not from the hospital itself, forget it. They will tell you to throw it away that you should do another one in the hospital's lab.
THEY ARE JUST IGNORANT OF MEDICAL METHODS.

IS IT NOT THE SAME NIGERIANS THAT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LAW BUT WILL BE QUERYING JUDGES INTERPRETATION OF LAW??

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by DrAda(f): 12:16pm On Dec 10, 2023
Haakeem:

Are you a doctor or one of your relatives are.
Hmm maybe your friends.
Why are you pained?
Why are you concerned about my pain?
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by nwakibe: 12:19pm On Dec 10, 2023
[quote author=Basic123 post=127409634]
You are the only smart and sensible person I have seen here.
Its very amazing how someone that has f9 in biology will be assessing doctors competence.

And the problem is due to the fact that Nigerian doctors have limited time to do the standard practice of explaining diagnosis and treatment plan to patient due to workload.

The most stupid thing is the word "NIGERIAN" doctor!
You are very correct. If you see the number of patients waiting to see one consultant in some of the teaching hospitals, there is no time for explanation. My brother's wife even suggested she will be taking the other hormonal drugs except the contraceptive drug without knowing that the contraceptive drug will work together with the other drugs. But I insisted we see the Dr. for explanation. If you see how I talked to the Dr. Just that the young is a professional in Human Relationship. I apologized and left in shame. Thank God we are now friends.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Drone95(m): 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2023
This medical practice is an art & it requires experience! Not necessarily grades it's experience, hands-on experience! Most house officers and medical officers that attends to people in health facilities aren't that experienced, as they continue practicing they gather experience.

5 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Greenfusion: 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2023
Discountsempai:

Well research has shown that if it is fever it is most likely malaria.in the tropics at least!

But at the same time we would love to do more detailed investigations, it is just that the lab is limited in what they can do , or the patient's nhis provider is refusing to approve certian investigations, or money is a problem
Exactly, most of our medical facilities are so limited, the NHIS should have been a good way to solve most health issues Nigeria has but govt has may be purposely refuse to maintain a national database which would have helped to solve some of these by building trust amongst individuals n businesses.....if everyone is traceable and trackable there would be trust in dealings, ....trust is one of Nigeria's biggest issue......Nigeria has so many problems

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Fujiyama: 12:20pm On Dec 10, 2023
Some posters are up in arms because the god complex of some doctors is being challenged.

Tetracycline is an antibiotic that was once commonly prescribed to children (maybe it still is, i don't know). A couple had heard about a common side effect (tooth discolouration) and gently asked the consultant treating their baby about an alternative medication. The man flared up and asked the couple if they were trying to teach him his job.

Fast forward some years: that baby's teeth are permanently stained today.

Doctors don't know it all. That's one service area where customers/patients should (for their own good) compulsorily exercise their right to a second and third diagnosis with other doctors. That improves the odds in the patients favour.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by BRATISLAVA: 12:21pm On Dec 10, 2023
opicgif:

Nooo
I think it's stress from the work
And as I earlier said pride!
Superiority complex

Still sounds like he's mentally ill. Some types of pride are mental illnesses.

There's no stress that could make someone so insensitive or daft, like what you described.
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by yommitte007: 12:22pm On Dec 10, 2023
The only diagnosis in nigeria now is typhoid and malaria. Quacks
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by King3urna(m): 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2023
They killed my pregnant wife giving birth with there stupid mistakes and left me to die of depression 😡
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by othermen: 12:25pm On Dec 10, 2023
“…our trust in doctors should have limits. Medicine is like any other job: there are many talented workers in the NHS, but also those who are less dedicated and less able. Think of the old medics’ joke: “What do you call the guy who graduated last in his medical school class?” “Doctor.” There are plenty of clinicians prone to arrogance and complacency. Some doctors are “heroes”, but we should stop thinking of them all as such...

…However indebted you feel to the NHS, don’t be afraid to challenge decisions if you have good reason to. It’s easy to feel cowed, but hold your ground. Remember most of the doctors in hospitals are just training…Junior doctors are often green and trying to stay composed to impress their superiors. Make sure, if you can, that a single consultant has overall responsibility: we all know that if you’re answerable for something, you try harder...

…Ignore the advice and look everything up on the internet. Google like crazy, educate yourself, ask questions and, if you are unsure, insist on a second opinion, or a third…Be aware that much care in hospitals is less thorough at weekends. And understand the damage done by the hierarchical, patrician system – everyone defers to the most senior consultant. If things seem to be going wrong: shout the ward down. In our case, the cost of not doing so was too great. We had such trust; we feel such fools...”

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/sep/03/13-year-old-daughter-dead-in-five-weeks-hospital-mistakes

6 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Voiceofthestree: 12:28pm On Dec 10, 2023
Titalinayi:

Another thief awon eyan Chinese ripper thief
Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Amayabor1: 12:28pm On Dec 10, 2023
I agree that there are many incompetent doctors, but many of these so called doctors are actually not doctors. These people didn't even enter a university. Many of them went to school of health. They graduate, open clinics and call themselves doctors. Was it not one fake doctor that operated on a woman in jos and removed her kidney.

That was how I saw a patient who had gone to one of these quacks to remove a tooth. The so called dentist didn't remove the whole tooth and destroyed most of the surrounding bone. Patient came down with a Ludwig s angina few weeks after that almost killed her because her airway was compromised when she came. It was timely intervention that saved that woman. We were able to get the man who did the tooth extraction. When we asked him why he did a procedure that he is not trained to do, he said he was taught in school how to remove a tooth. Which school? He said school of health and information management (SHIM). You be SHIM graduate and you come think say you be dentist to dey do dental procedures? He was not even remorseful and he told us that he has been doing it before and that his patients have not been having any complications. Na so I open mouth dey look this man. You graduated from SHIM and you dey manage patients? His confidence shocked me. The annoying thing was that the matter wasn't taken further. My consultant told us to leave the man.

Only God knows how many people that man must have killed. He does almost every procedures in medical and dental practice. Things dey happen for Nigeria, but you see northern Nigeria, fear that place when it comes to quackery in the health sector

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With An Incompetent Doctor. by Organiccourses: 12:29pm On Dec 10, 2023
Veronica64r:
Yf6

This guy is a thief, mods should ban him

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

I Need A Bigger Butt. / 10 Health Benefits Of Cashew Nuts / Powerful Natural Tea For Shrinking Fibroids & Tumors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.