Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:48 PM

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 (42532 Views)

Igbo Language Spoken In Equatorial Guinea / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:43pm On Dec 11, 2023
LeonSaab:
how is Anambra representative of igbos

Because mooorons like LeonSaab would make such a claim. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Question: Was your approach an intelligent way to show, or does it prove, Yorubas voted massively for Peter Obi?
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Usenokpevbo: 6:04pm On Dec 11, 2023
lawani:

Yes estimate is okay. Yoruba are ninety percent of LASG whose spouses are also working.
They are maybe 40 percent of Federal civil service if not more.
Traders will be like seventy percent if all traders are added together.
Artisans will be close to ninety percent
Private schools maybe seventy percent
Almost all petrol stations
More than eighty percent of bakeries
Majority of pure water factories
At least half of people in the transport sector
Hoteliers will be close to eighty percent.
Etc etc etc
stop giving these facts from your head like an illiterate, i do expect you would have quoted some materials to backup your point like an efficient graduate that is capable of research, but what do we have? A clown that pulls off outrageous statistics from his arse.

This was in 1964, grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 3:54am On Dec 12, 2023
Gamesmart:

Retard, so what was Nigeria's population of Indians in 1980, 1990, 2000? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

There must have been so much Indian Nigerian citizens giving birth to children in Nigeria, getting rhese children Nigerian citizenship BUT also blatantly refusing to get these kids Indian citizenship, hence why Indian government think only 40K people of Indian heritage are in Nigeria, while your moronic ass told us it was 800K. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

LeonSaab is stupidity personified! grin grin grin grin grin
Oga stop been an idiot....I thought maybe your sense had started coming together but please feel free to a stay a fool I've moved from you........total Indian population in India alone is 1.4Billion but for your mind it's impossible for 4 generations of Indians in Nigeria and of Nigerian Origin to be up to 800k......for your mind once born they have to wait for aregbesola to confer citizenship on them.....it's just like saying a child born in America will be counted as a Nigerian when they are doing census because they are born to Nigerian parents or carry a second passport......
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 3:56am On Dec 12, 2023
Gamesmart:

Because mooorons like LeonSaab would make such a claim. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Question: Was your approach an intelligent way to show, or does it prove, Yorubas voted massively for Peter Obi?
how does anambra represent igbos...
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by lawani: 4:38am On Dec 12, 2023
LeonSaab:
Oga stop been an idiot....I thought maybe your sense had started coming together but please feel free to a stay a fool I've moved from you........total Indian population in India alone is 1.4Billion but for your mind it's impossible for 4 generations of Indians in Nigeria and of Nigerian Origin to be up to 800k......for your mind once born they have to wait for aregbesola to confer citizenship on them.....it's just like saying a child born in America will be counted as a Nigerian when they are doing census because they are born to Nigerian parents or carry a second passport......

Different countries have different laws but nowhere in the world is citizenship taken by force. All the Yoruba online shouting that PH, Onitsha, Aba are no man lands, Igbos are dirty, lazy, cowards and etc while working and making a living in Biafra should not be granted citizenship of Biafra because they will pour sand into the gari of Biafra but of course they can work
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by LeonSaab: 6:48am On Dec 12, 2023
lawani:

Different countries have different laws but nowhere in the world is citizenship taken by force. All the Yoruba online shouting that PH, Onitsha, Aba are no man lands, Igbos are dirty, lazy, cowards and etc while working and making a living in Biafra should not be granted citizenship of Biafra because they will pour sand into the gari of Biafra but of course they can work
sure citizenship is not forced, by the time they block you at the border your eye go clear.....
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Okada691: 8:33am On Dec 12, 2023
Usenokpevbo:
stop giving these facts from your head like an illiterate, i do expect you would have quoted some materials to backup your point like an efficient graduate that is capable of research, but what do we have? A clown that pulls off outrageous statistics from his arse.

This was in 1964, grin
for a fact i know that guy acts delusional, he wants his feelings to become reality , but truth is different from feelings, the facts that the igbos alone had 11% of the population of Lagos in 1964 reveals all their lies. I saw the text too and sincerely i was shocked. I had to download the whole material

The guy would argue with his life that there are more Yoruba than Igbo in the north , where? North wey i don go? You are in ilesha there talking about North, like you have been there, you that has not left ilesha all your life, at most to Lagos on visitation

Here is another revealing point that concerns my previous argument with him

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by lawani: 8:45am On Dec 12, 2023
LeonSaab:
sure citizenship is not forced, by the time they block you at the border your eye go clear.....

The important part of citizenship is the right to participate in determining the direction and destiny of the nation. In a properly organized world, you need only one. The remaining right of a citizen should be the right to gainful employment but civilization has not reached that level yet but it soon will
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by RedboneSmith(m): 10:36am On Dec 12, 2023
Gamesmart:

I really struggle to believe there are more Yorubas in the USA than Igbos.

I am suspecting maybe Yorubas just teach their kids their indigenous language more than Igbos.

There are more Yorubas in the UK than Igbo. I struggle to believe that is also the case in the USA.

You could be correct. The statistics are actually about what number speaks those languages at home; it is not about the total number of people of those ethnicities in the US. There are over a million Nigerian-Americans. But if you add the Nigerians in that data set, e no even reach 400,000 because most Nigerians in the USA don’t speak their native languages.

And from my experience, Yorubas are more likely than Igbos to maintain and pass their language to their children.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by lawani: 2:31pm On Dec 12, 2023
LeonSaab:

Only governments of primitive third world countries will need to block workers from entering their country if the whole globe were properly organized. If Ijesa is 2 million in population with 500,000 workers, efficient tax collection will give the government at least 500 million dollars per annum and plans will be made on that. If the population falls the money will not be complete
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Swiftgrp: 11:39pm On Dec 15, 2023
adamusuleiman1:
As reported by the US Census Bureau:

Yoruba: 207,252
Akan: 149,510
Igbo: 117,118
Fulani: 28,100
Wolof: 25,529

Source:
https://data.census.gov/mdat/#/search?ds=ACSPUMS1Y2022&rv=LANP&wt=PWGTP
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Swiftgrp: 12:08am On Dec 16, 2023
Okada691:
for a fact i know that guy acts delusional, he wants his feelings to become reality , but truth is different from feelings, the facts that the igbos alone had 11% of the population of Lagos in 1964 reveals all their lies. I saw the text too and sincerely i was shocked. I had to download the whole material

The guy would argue with his life that there are more Yoruba than Igbo in the north , where? North wey i don go? You are in ilesha there talking about North, like you have been there, you that has not left ilesha all your life, at most to Lagos on visitation

Here is another revealing point that concerns my previous argument with him
It is Lagos Island (Lagos for short) that is being refered to in the screenshot that you attached here.

That's an estimated 11 percent of the 1964 population of Lagos Island (NOT Lagos State which has a larger landmass). Lagos State only came into existence for the very first time out of the 12 new states the General Yakubu Gowon's government created on May 27,1967.

More than 95 percent of the total landmass of what is now Lagos State was carved out of Western Region (Which later evolved into Western State on May 27, 1967) and merged with majorly Lagos Island to form Lagos State for the indigenes.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Okada691: 6:28am On Dec 16, 2023
Swiftgrp:

It is Lagos Island (Lagos for short) that is being refered to in the screenshot that you attached here.

That's an estimated 11 percent of the 1964 population of Lagos Island (NOT Lagos State which has a larger landmass). Lagos State only came into existence for the very first time out of the 12 new states the General Yakubu Gowon's government created on May 27,1967.

More than 95 percent of the total landmass of what is now Lagos State was carved out of Western Region (Which later evolved into Western State on May 27, 1967) and merged with majorly Lagos Island to form Lagos State for the indigenes.
That is true, there has even been more thorough migrations into every nuke and cranny of Lagos state even . When Lagos state was created in 1967, it was still the capital of the fct for 24 years before it moved to Abuja, nothing changed. Lagos is just about 3000 km2. It’s a very small enclave.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by lawani: 10:47am On Dec 16, 2023
Swiftgrp:

If all states were created by referendum as was the Midwest, the country would not have been in as much mess as it is presently.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Swiftgrp: 7:57am On Dec 18, 2023
Okada691:
That is true, there has even been more thorough migrations into every nuke and cranny of Lagos state even . When Lagos state was created in 1967, it was still the capital of the fct for 24 years before it moved to Abuja, nothing changed. Lagos is just about 3000 km2. It’s a very small enclave.
Indeed it's a small enclave of 3000 km2 like you indicated... the smallest state in Nigeria, just next to Anambra.

But please NOTE that Lagos Island [NOT Lagos State] was the administrative capital of Nigeria from 1914 to 1991. The Lagos which is referred to as the capital of Nigeria or FCT is Lagos Island.

Some people [especially the younger ones who have not been paying attention to history] often mistake Lagos State as the capital or FCT, but it was Lagos Island that was the FCT.

Lagos Island infact played a DUAL ROLE as the capital of the newly created Lagos State on May 27,1967, AND the administrative capital of Nigeria. It was NOT until 1975 that the CAPITAL of Lagos State was moved from Lagos Island to Alausa in Ikeja.

You can read a more DETAILED info BELOW on Lagos Island being the DUAL capital of Lagos State and Nigeria in the past:

=> https://www.britannica.com/place/Lagos-Nigeria
Lagos, city and chief port, Lagos state, Nigeria. Until 1975 it was the capital of Lagos state, and until December 1991 it was the federal capital of Nigeria. Ikeja replaced Lagos as the state capital, and Abuja replaced Lagos as the federal capital. Lagos, however, remained the unofficial seat of many government agencies.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Okada691: 9:41am On Dec 18, 2023
Swiftgrp:

Indeed it's a small enclave of 3000 km2 like you indicated... the smallest state in Nigeria, just next to Anambra.

But please NOTE that Lagos Island [NOT Lagos State] was the administrative capital of Nigeria from 1914 to 1991. The Lagos which is referred to as the capital of Nigeria or FCT is Lagos Island.

Some people [especially the younger ones who have not been paying attention to history] often mistake Lagos State as the capital or FCT, but it was Lagos Island that was the FCT.

Lagos Island infact played a DUAL ROLE as the capital of the newly created Lagos State on May 27,1967, AND the administrative capital of Nigeria. It was NOT until 1975 that the CAPITAL of Lagos State was moved from Lagos Island to Alausa in Ikeja.

You can read a more DETAILED info BELOW on Lagos Island being the DUAL capital of Lagos State and Nigeria in the past:

=> https://www.britannica.com/place/Lagos-Nigeria
Lagos, city and chief port, Lagos state, Nigeria. Until 1975 it was the capital of Lagos state, and until December 1991 it was the federal capital of Nigeria. Ikeja replaced Lagos as the state capital, and Abuja replaced Lagos as the federal capital. Lagos, however, remained the unofficial seat of many government agencies.

That knowledge is already in the bag, like i said again, it is indeed a very small enclave, just about 3,000km2. There was already a strong overflow and density into other parts of Lagos as a result of overpopulation in the Lagos island. That overflow has even entered Ogun state proper too. As a result, there are huge number of foreigners in shagamu, Sango-Ota and other areas of Ogun state. In fact one of the reasons that made the federal government to relocate was its densely populated atmosphere, it does not make for easy escape when there is an attack. At 3000km2, housing close to 15 to 20 million people, Lagos state is one of the most densely populated places on earth, Lagos island has since filled and there had been a huge sprawl and an overflow into other parts of Lagos and even Ogun state

Like i said before, there has been more thorough migrations into every nook and cranny of Lagos state since then. The population of Hausas and Igbos in Lagos state will each create two giant cities of about 4 million each. When you now add the population of Binis, Esan,Urhobos,Ijaw,Efik-Ibibio-Oron-Annang,Idoma,Fulani,Igala,kanuri,Tiv,Nupe,Etsako,Owan, cumulatively that should amount to no less than 5 million people

2 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 1:35pm On Dec 18, 2023
EmperorCaesar:

Are u sure you're igbo?

Surprised to see u type this

Who said I was igbo before?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Black Celebrities, What African peoples could they be from? / Ayan De First-Mr Culture Performs For King Charles III For The 3rd Time / Pictures Of The New Palace Of Olubadan Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.