Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,080 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 (42538 Views)

Igbo Language Spoken In Equatorial Guinea / List Of Igbo Dialects And Where They Are Spoken In Igboland / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Longpriq: 11:02am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

If the figures are like that purely because Yorubas speak their language at home to their kids more than Igbos, then it is a huge achievement.
agreed
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by tommy589(m): 11:03am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

True.

But I always assumed the individuality, rags-to-riches story, entrepreneurship and life-is-all-about-the-money culture of America suits and would attract the Igbo more.

Secondly, almost all our Basketballers are Igbos.

Tribes with their sporting strength. Do you know of any Igbo representing in table tennis from time immemorial? It is Yoruba sport grin

5 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by ShangTsung000: 11:06am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I would argue, and I am extremely confident, it is the Igbos who have more of the inferiority complex.

Hence, the need to boast a lot.

Hence, the frequent attacks on other tribes in their boasts. With particular unwarranted attacks on Yorubas as they see them as the tribe who can definitely ensure they can never claim the superior and most achieving tribe. And they also would die for Lagos to be in the SE or, at worst, not in Yoruba or Hausa area; then they would feel happier and more confident to boast superiority.

Majority of the attack of Yorubas on Igbos is more of a backlash of Igbo behaviours, not inferiority complex.

You should also know that Igbos are more enlightened than the Yorubas. We develop our areas and theirs too. They should also learn to appreciate too.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by TinubuNG: 11:06am On Dec 08, 2023
valentineuwakwe:
Wetin fulani dey find go USA...thought they prefer Saudi Arabia?
Only if you know that most great people you think of Hausas are actually Fulani.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by ofwest47(m): 11:06am On Dec 08, 2023
Grand children and great grand children of the former slaves carried to America by then American slave traders. Today's Republic of Brazil and Cuba have very large Yorùbá grand and great grand children of Yorubas slaves to the extent Yorùbá language has become official language 😀 in Brazil and Cuba Today.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by TinubuNG: 11:08am On Dec 08, 2023
ShangTsung000:

You should also know that Igbos are more enlightened than the Yorubas. We develop our areas and theirs too. They should also learn to appreciate too.
This "develop develop" talk na the problem, una no dey tire of developing 🤣🤣

9 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by SayNo2SmallPrik: 11:09am On Dec 08, 2023
Something is currently going on in this country between Yoruba and Igbo and no one is talking about it……..😀 every post na tribal war like this oooooo
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 11:09am On Dec 08, 2023
Nnewison:
Yorubas makes use of their language than igbos do that is just the case, an igbo,most igbos I mean will not speak their language but igbos are everywhere as I have been to few countries ,I stand to be corrected

Nnewi blood.

True.

Yorubas definitely speak their language at home to their kids more than Igbos.

In Ireland's 2011 census: 10,093 people spoke Yoruba at home, making it the most widely spoken African language in the country, while 3,875 spoke Igbo.

In UK's 2011 census: 14,914 people spoke Yoruba as a main language, while 7,946 spoke Igbo.

Now in America: 207,052 people speak Yoruba at home, while 117,118 spoke Igbo.

With Igbos at roughly half the population of Yoruba home speakers, I refuse to believe Igbos are only half the population of Yorubas in these countries. They just probably don't pass on their language to their kids as well as Yorubas do. And we also know Igbos are more likely to have and use English names than Yorubas.

This is the benefit of Yoruba pride in their history and culture.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Hezmatosky: 11:10am On Dec 08, 2023
opamoses1:
Some 🤡s like to say "Yorubas don't travel".

We just don't travel to unsafe regions. That's all.
Fear fear. Na only yoruba man go jump from 84th floor just to evade arrest grin
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Igboslayer: 11:11am On Dec 08, 2023
Igbos won't like this oooo

4 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Kog45(m): 11:11am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I really struggle to believe there are more Yorubas in the USA than Igbos.

I am suspecting maybe Yorubas just teach their kids their indigenous language more than Igbos.

There are more Yorubas in the UK than Igbo. I struggle to believe that is also the case in the USA.
Listening to Old Ebenezer Obey,Sunny Ade,Sikiru Ayinde and of recently K1 de Ultimate songs then you will agree that Yorubas are many in the States,no need arguing it.

I visited Igbomina Yoruba village in Kwara state but to my surprised checking the village archives,their sons and daughters have been traveling to United States and UK since 1940s for education.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by SayNo2SmallPrik: 11:11am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Why am I this sttttupid?
you sef see am
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 11:12am On Dec 08, 2023
DaTruths:

Yorubas are more corporate, hence the reason why they are more officially inclined.

But by outright population, Igbos are more in number both documented and undocumented.

Possibly!
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by ajepako(f): 11:12am On Dec 08, 2023
Ofodirinwa:
Suprised Hausa isn't more frequent

Hausa people prefer United Kingdom

My observation though
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 11:12am On Dec 08, 2023
valentineuwakwe:
Wetin fulani dey find go USA...thought they prefer Saudi Arabia?

Saudi Arabia?

Dem don find home be that. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by casualobserver: 11:13am On Dec 08, 2023
opamoses1:
Some 🤡s like to say "Yorubas don't travel".

We just don't travel to unsafe regions. That's all.

The way Ibos carry on in the US, you will think they are the only Nigerians in the US. They are just loud!!

5 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 11:14am On Dec 08, 2023
mikeapollo:

A lot more Yoruba travelled using the education route which was the more popular and viable avenue for traveling to USA and Canada, followed by businesses.

Possibly.

Igbos are well-educated too, but I think Yorubas take it more seriously as their own tribal role models for success and wealth are mostly based on "Good education"; while Igbo own tribal role models for success and wealth are mostly based on "Trade/Small Business start-up".

3 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by TinubuNG: 11:15am On Dec 08, 2023
ShangTsung000:

You guys also fail to appreciate good things. Always looking for a way to show your tribal bigotry.
In a more serious note, Igbo are the father of bigotry and that's the truth

2023 election is a case study. Tinubu lost in some SW state and funniest part,Lagos State while Obi cleared all SE States with average of 85-90% , think am if that's not tribalism enough.

7 Likes

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by seunny4lif(m): 11:15am On Dec 08, 2023
oyatz:

Yorubas are more than Igbo in USA, Canada, UK, Germany, Saudi Arabia
Haba, There are more Igbos in Germany than Yoruba like 60% to 40%.
Must Yoruba coming to Germany now are doing so on Education package

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Igboslayer: 11:15am On Dec 08, 2023
ShangTsung000:

You be mo.ron which part of Igbo land una develop?. You should be ashamed of yourself that 5 state governors of the east couldn't develop a land mass just about the size of Oyo state.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by babyfaceafrica: 11:18am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

I really struggle to believe there are more Yorubas in the USA than Igbos.

I am suspecting maybe Yorubas just teach their kids their indigenous language more than Igbos.

There are more Yorubas in the UK than Igbo. I struggle to believe that is also the case in the USA.

Noise isn't reality
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Gamesmart: 11:19am On Dec 08, 2023
seunny4lif:

Haba, There are more Igbos in Germany than Yoruba like 60% to 40%.
Must Yoruba coming to Germany now are doing so on Education package

I wouldn't be surprised.

Germany has not been historically seen as a 'furthering your education' destination or for professional careers by Nigerians, it has mostly be seen as a place for buying cars and selling in Nigeria.

As I said earlier: https://www.nairaland.com/7934178/top-five-west-african-languages/1#127369957
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Kog45(m): 11:20am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

True.

Yorubas definitely speak their language at home to their kids more than Igbos.

In Ireland's 2011 census: 10,093 people spoke Yoruba at home, making it the most widely spoken African language in the country, while 3,875 spoke Igbo.

In UK's 2011 census: 14,914 people spoke Yoruba as a main language, while 7,946 spoke Igbo.

Now in America: 207,052 people speak Yoruba at home, while 117,118 spoke Igbo.

With Igbos at roughly half the population of Yoruba home speakers, I refuse to believe Igbos are only half the population of Yorubas in these countries. They just probably don't pass on their language to their kids as well as Yorubas do. And we also know Igbos are more likely to have and use English names than Yorubas.

This is the benefit of Yoruba pride in their history and culture.
Aptly but most language spoken always showing population strength.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Kog45(m): 11:21am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Possibly.

Igbos are well-educated too, but I think Yorubas take it more seriously as their own tribal role models for success and wealth are mostly based on "Good education"; while Igbo own tribal role models for success and wealth are mostly based on "Trade/Small Business start-up".
Respect bro
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by Jeezuzpick(m): 11:21am On Dec 08, 2023
Ofodirinwa:
Suprised Hausa isn't more frequent

They rarely leave Naija o.

That's where quota system favours them.

Check well, you'll find out that the Fulani speakers are not Nigerians.

Our harbowkeys like to stay where everything is handed to them on a gold platter.
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by kingthreat(m): 11:21am On Dec 08, 2023
Gamesmart:

Why are you this sttttupid?

From his airlord username, you shouldn't even bother yourself
Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by mikeapollo: 11:21am On Dec 08, 2023
saintfieldcastro:
Ethnic affiliation is different from Linguistic affiliation.
Yes, Yoruba is more spoken in US, UK and Canada bcoz most Yorubas especially elderly ones speak it as their first language and are generally chatty, noisy and loquacious.
Igbo people are now awakening in terms of speaking their language and identifying with the language.
Where I served at Sokoto during our Nysc days, we thought Yorubas were the most numerous Nysc corp members until we were given a breakdown of State of Origin of all NYSC members in my stream.
Out of 2100 NYSC members, 991were from Southeast, the southwest had 657, the North and South South had the rest. But in almost all the Lodges, even in my own lodge where there are 12 Igbos and 8 yorubas, you would be thinking that all of us were ethnically YORUBAs bcoz Yorubas there are chatty, loquacious, noisy and talkative.

The reason is because of the Lagos factor; more Nigerians are able to speak Yoruba because a lot of people have either lived in, visited or were born or bred in Lagos and environs.
Yoruba are not more chatty, loquacious, noisy, talkative than the Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Top Five West African Languages Spoken In The United States - 2022 by profmallor: 11:22am On Dec 08, 2023
Yorubas dont have that hustling, get it by all means attitude, so they are concentrated at mostly relatively what you would call advanced societies. Yorubas also rarely are boastful, so you tend to believe they are docile, but its not true, they know and see things and act only when they need too.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ayan De First-Mr Culture Performs For King Charles III For The 3rd Time / Black Celebrities, What African peoples could they be from? / Man Killed In Benin While Testing Charms’ Efficacy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.