Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,465 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:50 PM

What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? (28853 Views)

Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit / 3 Porsche Panamera Convoy Carries 24 Gold Bars Worth £10m (₦5B) Across London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by FreeStuffsNG: 2:55pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
On Wednesday 6th of December, I was driving my family from Ondo to Akure to launch a new business.

We plan to start the event at 12 and it was already past 11am so I was rushing. Along Akure road, I saw this three police convoy going in front but they were not very fast.

I have a really fast car so I was like, I should overtake them and be on my way, I flashed the last pickup with about 3 policemen at the back but they didn't make any reaction and didn't gesture for me to go.

The road ahead of us was long and free, no incoming vehicles so I saw it as an opportunity.

After flashing twice again and no response, I decided to overtake all three pickup vehicles quickly so I switched to sport mode and decided to use my pedal shifter to go faster.

As soon as I revved and started overtaking them, they went crazy and started driving zig-zag on the road leaving me absolutely no room to go.

At the end they ran me into the nearly bush and parked me off. One of them decided to use their vehicles to intentionally brush my car while parking me off the road. They all came down, almost 20 of them and started shooting in the air.

They started shouting come down from this car! Hitting my car everywhere with fist and hitting my glass with the tail of their guns. Somehow my window didn't break even after they hit them 5 or 6 times. (Respect to Acura on that)

One of them pointed his gun at my vehicle and was about to shoot. I roll down my glass and started begging them.

My wife was sitting in front with me and my 2 year old daughter was sitting at the back in the hand of a friend we took along with us to act as MC for the occasion.

My wife quickly collected my daughter from the guy and held her to her chest cos she was already panicking and crying.

I think that was what saved our live cos as soon as they saw my daughter, somehow they calm down a little and started trying to drag me out of the car.

I vehemently refused to go down cos I know I will be beaten or even shot. After a few minutes of acting upset, shooting in the air, one of them that was fat and looks like their leader came down from the middle van.

That was the first time I noticed that the middle van was actually covered at the back which means they may be carrying something. They didn't use a bullion van so there was no indication that they were moving money and they didn't use siren either.

Long story short, the big guy that looked like the boss came to me and said why did I overtake them.

I explained that we were in a hurry and I flashed a few times before I attempted to overtake them and I also saw that the road was clear.

He looked at me, looked at my wife, looked at my crying daughter and looked at the guy at the back then asked me to come down that nothing will happen to me, I took my company's ID card and my guy at the back and I came down.

He checked the ID and said don't do that again. The others were shouting he must follow us to the station bla bla bla but he was calm.

Eventually they let us go.

They damaged the bumper of my vehicle in the process.

I know I was in the wrong by overtaking them without anyone gesturing that I can go but seriously, WHAT IS THE RULE TO THAT?
Especially on highway, with a wider road and not within the city.

I had to apologise to my family later cos I know it was a traumatic experience for them and I accepted my fault but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

Are we expected to follow convoy from wherever we see them to where ever they are going even if they are driving at 80km per hr?
Thank God. I am so happy that you, your family and friend are all safe.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by ppogba: 2:58pm On Dec 13, 2023
Every thing is not about the law. You have your family in the car and you are trying to overtake three police vehicles likely filled with:
1. Officers that are frustrated because of delayed salary
2. Officers that have curses on their heads and are only looking for who to " kobalise'
3. Officers that are drunk early morning already.
4. Officers that will kill and label you armed robber

Why not ask what the law says about overtaking a convoy of army vehicles?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Lance008(m): 3:01pm On Dec 13, 2023
Many people have been killed such way Na why dem Dey fear
Them too get family mak dey wait for them
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by AntiWailer: 3:01pm On Dec 13, 2023
U cnt overtake a convoy.

They can kill you that u are a threat to the asset they are protecting.

U will just waste
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by SweetDipBenny(m): 3:01pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
On Wednesday 6th of December, I was driving my family from Ondo to Akure to launch a new business.

We plan to start the event at 12 and it was already past 11am so I was rushing. Along Akure road, I saw this three police convoy going in front but they were not very fast.

I have a really fast car so I was like, I should overtake them and be on my way, I flashed the last pickup with about 3 policemen at the back but they didn't make any reaction and didn't gesture for me to go.

The road ahead of us was long and free, no incoming vehicles so I saw it as an opportunity.

After flashing twice again and no response, I decided to overtake all three pickup vehicles quickly so I switched to sport mode and decided to use my pedal shifter to go faster.

As soon as I revved and started overtaking them, they went crazy and started driving zig-zag on the road leaving me absolutely no room to go.

At the end they ran me into the nearly bush and parked me off. One of them decided to use their vehicles to intentionally brush my car while parking me off the road. They all came down, almost 20 of them and started shooting in the air.

They started shouting come down from this car! Hitting my car everywhere with fist and hitting my glass with the tail of their guns. Somehow my window didn't break even after they hit them 5 or 6 times. (Respect to Acura on that)

One of them pointed his gun at my vehicle and was about to shoot. I roll down my glass and started begging them.

My wife was sitting in front with me and my 2 year old daughter was sitting at the back in the hand of a friend we took along with us to act as MC for the occasion.

My wife quickly collected my daughter from the guy and held her to her chest cos she was already panicking and crying.

I think that was what saved our live cos as soon as they saw my daughter, somehow they calm down a little and started trying to drag me out of the car.

I vehemently refused to go down cos I know I will be beaten or even shot. After a few minutes of acting upset, shooting in the air, one of them that was fat and looks like their leader came down from the middle van.

That was the first time I noticed that the middle van was actually covered at the back which means they may be carrying something. They didn't use a bullion van so there was no indication that they were moving money and they didn't use siren either.

Long story short, the big guy that looked like the boss came to me and said why did I overtake them.

I explained that we were in a hurry and I flashed a few times before I attempted to overtake them and I also saw that the road was clear.

He looked at me, looked at my wife, looked at my crying daughter and looked at the guy at the back then asked me to come down that nothing will happen to me, I took my company's ID card and my guy at the back and I came down.

He checked the ID and said don't do that again. The others were shouting he must follow us to the station bla bla bla but he was calm.

I know I was in the wrong by overtaking them without anyone gesturing that I can go but seriously, WHAT IS THE RULE TO THAT?

I had to apologise to my family later cos I know it was a traumatic experience for them and I accepted my fault but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

Are we expected to follow convoy from wherever we see them to where ever they are going even if they are driving at 80km per hr?
No explanation needed, just don't do it again. U lucky, That was fvckin close..
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by kuntash: 3:03pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Guy , dont ever try such again , as in dont even attempt it, even if the last driver had signaled you to go ahead . Its very dangerous in our climes. sadly its the situation of things, Many people have been wasted with far less scenarios. and finally, you need not show your car let alone the place number . it makes you more vulnerable, good enough you explained very well without dishing the police any insults, else some overzealous ones fit carry your matter for head.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Angrigowt: 3:03pm On Dec 13, 2023
The average horsepower on naija Road is about 80 horsepower.i. have not seen any fast car on naija Road aside hilux wey the engine na 4.0liter. Thi hilux still get 4plugs engine sha o
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Usmanovic95(m): 3:04pm On Dec 13, 2023
Thank God you are still alive to tell the story.I am not sure if is any law on that but we just subconsciously avoid them when they are passing.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by OLULAW: 3:04pm On Dec 13, 2023
Lawless country being policed by criminals.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by mastermaestro(m): 3:05pm On Dec 13, 2023
It's a security risk. Unless you too are moving in VIP convoy or are a senior officer of the law would you be at liberty to attempt such. You could have been killed in the process and tagged a robber.

If it was a military convoy, I bet you would be dead by now. Our Security forces may be imperfect but we must know our boundaries when dealing with them. You were very lucky.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Mohisah: 3:05pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Lol even in US people re afraid of overtaking Police patrol vehicles. I don't know why, but I feel there's a security protocol I missed reading😂
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by jeff1607(m): 3:06pm On Dec 13, 2023
symbianDON:
just imagine the time wasted because the convoy feels it shouldn't be overtaken.....quite annoying.

On the express anyone who tries to overtake in such a way would make the police believe they are either armed robbers or someone out to kill them
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by dododawa1: 3:08pm On Dec 13, 2023
First law of living in peace

Let

Mr.PATIENT

Involved.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:08pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

?

Actually, you can overtake them, there's nothing against it, but it has to be AFTER THEY HAVE WAVED YOU TO PASS

I love the way you narrated and even took the blame where necessary... Only issue was your impatience... They would have waved you to pass, I've seen them do it severally, especially soldiers, they'll even wave you to pass and greet your children if you have kids in the car

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by ObabiOlorunosi(m): 3:08pm On Dec 13, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

Una too like life!

His advice is not meant for you or folks like you.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by afonja112: 3:09pm On Dec 13, 2023
This guy na james bond 007 -- rushing to save the world. E get mind sha!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by NwaliE01: 3:10pm On Dec 13, 2023
Nigeria is opposite of the other part of the world.

In abroad, it means you're over speeding but in Nigeria it means you're a threat.

Some of this things makes me hate our arm forces.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by samcolee(m): 3:10pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

The problem is they don't know your intentions and it's risky for them too, personally if I notice their vehicle I'll not be close enough incase they're under attack

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by yewit37486: 3:11pm On Dec 13, 2023
Britishpea:
You people should always add Nigerian factor to whatever you do. It’d the same Nigerian factor that would make you have an event by 13 and still be on the ondo township road by 11 am. By then you are suppose t be in Akure already even if you are still enroute to the real location. Ondo to Akure no matter how speedy you are u will spend about 45 mins.

How can you overtake a Nigerian police convoy? You don’t even know where they are headed to . Maybe for oversights or something more dangerous or important. What if they think you are an armed robber who’s running to escape or you are a bandit or kidnapper.
Che u no come finally late for your launching? You are here asking for a law? To do what exactly? You can’t win them even at the court because there are a million ways to nail you. Some Nigerians en!

grin grin a law he will quote to them next time, haha.
OP, I rejoice with you that it all ended well.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by yewit37486: 3:12pm On Dec 13, 2023
symbianDON:
Your experience reminds of a similar awkward experience i had with those 'unpleasant' guys. In my case, I was actually going at a speed of about 100km/hr when I noticed the convoy behind me. There were about 4 vehicles. The first, second and third overtook me successfully but the fourth was clearly struggling to overtake. Immediately I noticed that, I magnanimous slowed down and allowed the vehicle overtake. No issues. After a while, I observed that they had reduced speed to about 70-80km/hr. I then proceeded to overtake them. Mistake! Note that I was driving alone and my glasses are clear; no tints. Omoh! Soon as I began to overtake, the zigzag driving started while they were cocking their guns and pointing them menacingly at me! Shoooo! I quickly give myself sense and ran myself into the bush. I felt shaken and humiliated! They could easily have caused an unnecessary accident.

Hahaha! sorry, couldn't help but laugh when I read that line.
Thank God you were safe and it ended well.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by osuofia2(m): 3:13pm On Dec 13, 2023
Go and sin no more because many have gone like that. Overtaking Convoy is dangerous
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by honourwealth(m): 3:14pm On Dec 13, 2023
You're nso fortunate!
Imagine carry a tinted mirror car to overtake a car with full armed men. Imagine if they are ole.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Eaglepixel: 3:15pm On Dec 13, 2023
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Benwallt(m): 3:16pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

LND 200 HR. Be security wise
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Burgerlomo: 3:17pm On Dec 13, 2023
See what impatient caused you, just dey thank your stars because you're very lucky 😎
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by BigBashiru: 3:17pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Don't you know that the black man is sick and power drunk naturally?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Atarakpa: 3:17pm On Dec 13, 2023
fuckJones:
it wrong to overtake police or any military convoy, don't try it next time, they can shoot you.
is a lie. Except the governor or cbn convey. I uses escort. That same police men should come to Lagos, they go humble noi
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by seunny4lif(m): 3:17pm On Dec 13, 2023
No matter what not even in Nigeria, in some countries, you can’t overthrow police or military convoy unless the road has multiple lanes and the convoy are driving on the slow lane

Maybe they are carrying something important.
Nobody can overtake the CBN convoy not even a governor convoy is allowed to overtake them
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by ChybuzzDD(m): 3:18pm On Dec 13, 2023
Ogisbaba:
In all of these , is there any law on not overtaking any convoy in Nigeria ?

No, the police officers were just practising the usual arrogance and lawlessness they are known for.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by stacyadams: 3:22pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

U carry ur family dey play for naija

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by contentmakerPRO: 3:24pm On Dec 13, 2023
Try just to overtake ordinary local chairman council in Benin Republic, they will deal with you and delay you especially you are a foreigner.
Those convoys always behave same. Always threatened and it's not their fault. They can be ambushed and be killed. Even within Lagos, they brush vehicles anyhow especially those moving money from CBN headquarters to airport and vice versa. They don't allow any vehicle to overtake them especially those danfos that are not even a threat to them. Next time, allow them to get to a busy town and they will likely let you go. They monitor everything.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by tariwalters(m): 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2023
No gree for anybody this December.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Traffic Road Signs / As A Driver, What Would You Do In This Situation? / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.