Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,038 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:19 AM

What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? (28882 Views)

Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit / 3 Porsche Panamera Convoy Carries 24 Gold Bars Worth £10m (₦5B) Across London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Mftivi: 8:58pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

It's a 3.7L engine and a 340HP. It's quite fast and revs like a monster truck. I feel like maybe that intimidated the policemen a little bit too cos as soon as I switched to sport mode and gear down with my pedal shifter, the engine revved and the speed was lightning. I would have overtaken all 3 of them within 3 to 5 seconds if they didn't start that zig zag movement.
bros you drive a daily driver with normal hp, thank your stars you are alive. Naso I felt with my lexus es that year, it's better to lead a convoy than overtake especially a force convoy but if you must, use other cars as possible scape goat.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by tony0806: 9:27pm On Dec 13, 2023
fuckJones:
it wrong to overtake police or any military convoy, don't try it next time, they can shoot you.

What makes it wrong?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Lekan239(m): 11:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
On Wednesday 6th of December, I was driving my family from Ondo to Akure to launch a new business.

We plan to start the event at 12 and it was already past 11am so I was rushing. Along Akure road, I saw this three police convoy going in front but they were not very fast.

I have a really fast car so I was like, I should overtake them and be on my way, I flashed the last pickup with about 3 policemen at the back but they didn't make any reaction and didn't gesture for me to go.

The road ahead of us was long and free, no incoming vehicles so I saw it as an opportunity.

After flashing twice again and no response, I decided to overtake all three pickup vehicles quickly so I switched to sport mode and decided to use my pedal shifter to go faster.

As soon as I revved and started overtaking them, they went crazy and started driving zig-zag on the road leaving me absolutely no room to go.

At the end they ran me into the nearly bush and parked me off. One of them decided to use their vehicles to intentionally brush my car while parking me off the road. They all came down, almost 20 of them and started shooting in the air.

They started shouting come down from this car! Hitting my car everywhere with fist and hitting my glass with the tail of their guns. Somehow my window didn't break even after they hit them 5 or 6 times. (Respect to Acura on that)

One of them pointed his gun at my vehicle and was about to shoot. I roll down my glass and started begging them.

My wife was sitting in front with me and my 2 year old daughter was sitting at the back in the hand of a friend we took along with us to act as MC for the occasion.

My wife quickly collected my daughter from the guy and held her to her chest cos she was already panicking and crying.

I think that was what saved our live cos as soon as they saw my daughter, somehow they calm down a little and started trying to drag me out of the car.

I vehemently refused to go down cos I know I will be beaten or even shot. After a few minutes of acting upset, shooting in the air, one of them that was fat and looks like their leader came down from the middle van.

That was the first time I noticed that the middle van was actually covered at the back which means they may be carrying something. They didn't use a bullion van so there was no indication that they were moving money and they didn't use siren either.

Long story short, the big guy that looked like the boss came to me and said why did I overtake them.

I explained that we were in a hurry and I flashed a few times before I attempted to overtake them and I also saw that the road was clear.

He looked at me, looked at my wife, looked at my crying daughter and looked at the guy at the back then asked me to come down that nothing will happen to me, I took my company's ID card and my guy at the back and I came down.

He checked the ID and said don't do that again. The others were shouting he must follow us to the station bla bla bla but he was calm.

Eventually they let us go.

They damaged the bumper of my vehicle in the process.

I know I was in the wrong by overtaking them without anyone gesturing that I can go but seriously, WHAT IS THE RULE TO THAT?
Especially on highway, with a wider road and not within the city.

I had to apologise to my family later cos I know it was a traumatic experience for them and I accepted my fault but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

Are we expected to follow convoy from wherever we see them to where ever they are going even if they are driving at 80km per hr?
well. If you keep switching to sport mode on motion, that will damage your gear very very soon. My own contribution
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Lekan239(m): 11:58pm On Dec 13, 2023
RuneKingThor:
In a sane country. Yes you can overtake the convoy as long as you are within the speed limit.

But in Nigeria, you can't. Doesn't matter what they are transporting, you can't overtake them.
I do overtake them everytime on lagos ibadan expressway though
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Lekan239(m): 12:11am On Dec 14, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
On Wednesday 6th of December, I was driving my family from Ondo to Akure to launch a new business.

We plan to start the event at 12 and it was already past 11am so I was rushing. Along Akure road, I saw this three police convoy going in front but they were not very fast.

I have a really fast car so I was like, I should overtake them and be on my way, I flashed the last pickup with about 3 policemen at the back but they didn't make any reaction and didn't gesture for me to go.

The road ahead of us was long and free, no incoming vehicles so I saw it as an opportunity.

After flashing twice again and no response, I decided to overtake all three pickup vehicles quickly so I switched to sport mode and decided to use my pedal shifter to go faster.

As soon as I revved and started overtaking them, they went crazy and started driving zig-zag on the road leaving me absolutely no room to go.

At the end they ran me into the nearly bush and parked me off. One of them decided to use their vehicles to intentionally brush my car while parking me off the road. They all came down, almost 20 of them and started shooting in the air.

They started shouting come down from this car! Hitting my car everywhere with fist and hitting my glass with the tail of their guns. Somehow my window didn't break even after they hit them 5 or 6 times. (Respect to Acura on that)

One of them pointed his gun at my vehicle and was about to shoot. I roll down my glass and started begging them.

My wife was sitting in front with me and my 2 year old daughter was sitting at the back in the hand of a friend we took along with us to act as MC for the occasion.

My wife quickly collected my daughter from the guy and held her to her chest cos she was already panicking and crying.

I think that was what saved our live cos as soon as they saw my daughter, somehow they calm down a little and started trying to drag me out of the car.

I vehemently refused to go down cos I know I will be beaten or even shot. After a few minutes of acting upset, shooting in the air, one of them that was fat and looks like their leader came down from the middle van.

That was the first time I noticed that the middle van was actually covered at the back which means they may be carrying something. They didn't use a bullion van so there was no indication that they were moving money and they didn't use siren either.

Long story short, the big guy that looked like the boss came to me and said why did I overtake them.

I explained that we were in a hurry and I flashed a few times before I attempted to overtake them and I also saw that the road was clear.

He looked at me, looked at my wife, looked at my crying daughter and looked at the guy at the back then asked me to come down that nothing will happen to me, I took my company's ID card and my guy at the back and I came down.

He checked the ID and said don't do that again. The others were shouting he must follow us to the station bla bla bla but he was calm.

I know I was in the wrong by overtaking them without anyone gesturing that I can go but seriously, WHAT IS THE RULE TO THAT?

I had to apologise to my family later cos I know it was a traumatic experience for them and I accepted my fault but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

Are we expected to follow convoy from wherever we see them to where ever they are going even if they are driving at 80km per hr?
u mentioned this paddle shifter and sport mode wella o. Its not really special like that na bcus my honda civic 2007 self get the paddle shifter and sport mode na
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Oracabessa: 12:11am On Dec 14, 2023
No it won't. It will consume a little more gas, but will make no difference to your engine and likely allow less wear to occur in your transmission. sport mode typically works by delaying the shift points to higher rpms.
Lekan239:
well. If you keep switching to sport mode on motion, that will damage your gear very very soon. My own contribution
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by ibinaboonline: 12:34am On Dec 14, 2023
Thumbs up to your RDX. I'll tell you what's wrong: you live in a shithole country without the rule of law. This is also the reason you shouldn't do such again, absolutely not because you did anything wrong or broke the law.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Caseless: 2:46am On Dec 14, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Nigerians attitude to keeping to time. You have an event by 12pm and you know you'll drive before getting to the event, but chose to leave home an hour to the event - then you begin to rush and overtaking a police convoy. You almost got your family in serious danger.

Who acts in such a stupid way with a child and daughter in his car?

Once you see security operative moving like that, wait for them to signal to you before you overtake. They're sometimes carrying sensitive materials and, any moves they don't agree with might lead to shots being fired.

They scan you to see you're not going to attack them or you pose any threat before they allow you to pass.

Be careful next time and stop asking for the law. Use your commonsense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Emekayoung(m): 4:44am On Dec 14, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Are you advertising your car to us for sale as well? I am trying to figure out why you posted the picture of your car. Because i am sure the picture was not actually necessary.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Emekayoung(m): 4:58am On Dec 14, 2023
I normally over take police and army convoy on several occasions but it all depends on the manner in which the man in question over took them. Because i know how some people drive in the city,when they want to overtake,they do it as if they want to brush you off the road. I am sure that's what he did which almost landed him into trouble. The way Nigerians drive is very scary these days. My wife is still not able to gather courage and go on steering because of they way people drive in Lagos. The most annoying part is when they want to overtake you,if you don't give them enough gap they will drag you off the road. Sometimes i wonder if they usually take drugs before hitting the high way. I will still say it again,the manner which he overtook that convoy is what almost landed him in trouble. No matter the kind of vehicle you drive,don't use it to oppress anyone on the road.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:59am On Dec 14, 2023
Emekayoung:

Are you advertising your car to us for sale as well? I am trying to figure out why you posted the picture of your car. Because i am sure the picture was not actually necessary.
If you can see, you'll notice that I posted the car cos I wanted to show people the dent they put on the car. But ofcourse you like to overthink things and assume people have other reasons.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by adetem(m): 7:01am On Dec 14, 2023
You don't need to flash light for convoy, by doing that u already put them in panic and threats that attack may happen. At that moment u flash they already communicate within themselves on full red alert and it also depends on what they escort. Rules of overtaking convey is very simple, observe u can overtake them all at once if not u will put ursef in trouble. Secondly always observe the last vehicle u will overtake first, If is from on close road just know that type of convoy are not ready for overtaking and if u force ursef in , u must surely force ursef out. Wen they ready they will control the traffic themselves.
Kelvin30286063:

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by crackhouse(m): 8:29am On Dec 14, 2023
You are a mad man for putting your family at such high risk..
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by gfelo(m): 9:51am On Dec 14, 2023
that's a lie, incase you don't know, convoy drill thoughts security men to always make room and space for civilian vehicles to overtake then especially a very peaceful place like (SS) except in (NE) where we have security challenges. but in Nigeria security personnel are power drunk.

fuckJones:
it wrong to overtake police or any military convoy, don't try it next time, they can shoot you.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by YouandiAllofus: 10:18am On Dec 14, 2023
You are there overtaking! While we are here shifting to the slab by the side of the road upon sight of their vehicle approaching from behind through our rear view! grin
Once beaten, twice shy.
I don't even like to claim right on the road, especially with the Nigerian security forces involved. I just avoid them like plague when possible to save my time from pointless and useless explanatory conversations.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by MissJoy29(f): 10:31am On Dec 14, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Hmmmmm....so it's everywhere. I have encountered them like 2 times on Enugu - Portharcourt expressway, precisely from Ubakala junction heading to Aba. These guys refused to move.

The only good thing was that the formation they were using was very clear that they don't want to be overtaken. Their 3 cars blocked the whole road & funny enough, they won't tell you anything. They expect you to have sense.

It's always a funny experience. Usually, I'm directly behind them but from a safe distance. So I get to see other drivers who think I'm playing on the road, overtake me, go close to them, try to maneuver, get the message & just fall back behind or beside me or even in front.

The last time I encountered them, one driver was probably so much in a hurry like the OP was & was following them 2 closely. He clearly didn't have sense seeing their formation. They ignored him till they couldn't handle it anymore. Just before Osisioma, they parked & blocked the road then came down with guns pointing at the man. The man was pleading & reversing at the same time. He almost rammed into me cos I was behind him but kinda far cos immediately they stopped, i sensed something was off & stopped too.

Thank God the times I encountered them, they made it easy for me not to overtake. I would have probably done like OP although carrying someone like my mum is another way of not overtaking them because that woman is ready to scream at you till you slow down. She will be telling you not to pass them

But seriously, what's difficult in making it known to everybody to avoid accidents?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by brainycaleb(m): 10:43am On Dec 14, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

That your baby's presence in the car was the only reason you and the other occupants of the car weren't killed and branded criminals
And you're still confused on how silly you acted? In a country where the laws are for the poor and powerless.

It's an unspoken rule and a security bye law to NEVER overtake a security convoy!
(it's a form of attack and breach of movement)
.Thank God it wasn't a Customs/Immigration convoy(those trigger happy guys could spray your vehicle into fire before they discover your baby)
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by adanny01(m): 12:06pm On Dec 14, 2023
beardedboy:

Is this the law or a tip for avoiding murder and harassment?

Unwritten law.

How many times have you seen a presidential convoy? You need to encounter it to know that such laws are not written.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by FactsPolitico: 1:31am On Dec 15, 2023
Glad that you got your senses intact when the uproar started. You truly would have been dead by now.

That said, please in God or Allah's name
Don't ever in your life attempt such.
Whether it's a mere commissioner in a state, a special adviser, or anything that looks like it.

You must also understand that any convoy whether in Nigeria or anywhere in the world, does not mean a ride or drive for a PEP (Politically Exposed Persons) or HNI (High Networth Individuals)

It's a security outfit meant to shield whoever or whatever is being transported.
For that reason, anything they expect to see in front of them, should only be an opposite camp ready for exchange of fire powers.

Even while you're in front of them, as soon as you noticed they've closed gaps with you, it's a must that you give way.

They're meant to also shield you.

I hope this sinks in.

Once again, congratulations for saving your own life and the lives of your loved ones with that promptness.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by TheAdvocate(m): 1:27am On Jan 07
fuckJones:

It's not wrong. There is absolutely no law backing that stupidity but this is Nigeria and you need to stay alive.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by TheAdvocate(m): 1:31am On Jan 07
adanny01:

Unwritten law.

How many times have you seen a presidential convoy? You need to encounter it to know that such laws are not written.

There is nothing like an unwritten law. That's why we have the National Assembly and other regulations that must not necessarily pass through the National Assembly. We understand the Nigerian madness.

I remember sometime in 2010, I sued the Kano state government when a certain convoy in Jos with a Kano State Government House number hit my client's car for attempting to overtake them. It's just crazy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal / As A Driver, What Would You Do In This Situation? / What Are Your Funny Experiences Teaching A Woman How To Drive A Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.