Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:48 PM

What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? (28929 Views)

Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit / 3 Porsche Panamera Convoy Carries 24 Gold Bars Worth £10m (₦5B) Across London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by mukthar2000(m): 3:26pm On Dec 13, 2023
Op next time make sure u observed proper patients and obedient in such road, follow the police van gradually to protect ur unforseen occurrence for the sake of ur families and friend inside d vehicle , u said the road was very free and no vehicle was coming, these police can easily waste ur life and families with allegations that u are criminal without any evidence, some police, bandits and kidnappers are more likely the same behavior. Next time b4 u committe any wrong think of ur wife and kids.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Privatepart00: 3:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
Cc: kelvin30286063

Immediately you mentioned switching to Sport mode I knew is Acura you driving.

You don’t overtake any paramilitary vehicle for any reason on the expressway. If they wanted you to overtake them, you be giving a signal.

You can overtake in your city and nothing will happen depending on your location.

What of your Acura TSX have you sold it?

The ZDX is sharp

Sorry for the traumatic scenario you experienced with your family.

Coming from another Acura RDX and MDX owner.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by sweetrace(f): 3:33pm On Dec 13, 2023
Dtruthspeaker:

They only thing you said that is wrong is because they can murder him and not because he was wrong.

He was not wrong. There is no rule saying one can’t overtake any body so far it is done safely.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by CaptainGo: 3:43pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
On Wednesday 6th of December, I was driving my family from Ondo to Akure to launch a new business.

We plan to start the event at 12 and it was already past 11am so I was rushing. Along Akure road, I saw this three police convoy going in front but they were not very fast.

I have a really fast car so I was like, I should overtake them and be on my way, I flashed the last pickup with about 3 policemen at the back but they didn't make any reaction and didn't gesture for me to go.

The road ahead of us was long and free, no incoming vehicles so I saw it as an opportunity.

After flashing twice again and no response, I decided to overtake all three pickup vehicles quickly so I switched to sport mode and decided to use my pedal shifter to go faster.

As soon as I revved and started overtaking them, they went crazy and started driving zig-zag on the road leaving me absolutely no room to go.

At the end they ran me into the nearly bush and parked me off. One of them decided to use their vehicles to intentionally brush my car while parking me off the road. They all came down, almost 20 of them and started shooting in the air.

They started shouting come down from this car! Hitting my car everywhere with fist and hitting my glass with the tail of their guns. Somehow my window didn't break even after they hit them 5 or 6 times. (Respect to Acura on that)

One of them pointed his gun at my vehicle and was about to shoot. I roll down my glass and started begging them.

My wife was sitting in front with me and my 2 year old daughter was sitting at the back in the hand of a friend we took along with us to act as MC for the occasion.

My wife quickly collected my daughter from the guy and held her to her chest cos she was already panicking and crying.

I think that was what saved our live cos as soon as they saw my daughter, somehow they calm down a little and started trying to drag me out of the car.

I vehemently refused to go down cos I know I will be beaten or even shot. After a few minutes of acting upset, shooting in the air, one of them that was fat and looks like their leader came down from the middle van.

That was the first time I noticed that the middle van was actually covered at the back which means they may be carrying something. They didn't use a bullion van so there was no indication that they were moving money and they didn't use siren either.

Long story short, the big guy that looked like the boss came to me and said why did I overtake them.

I explained that we were in a hurry and I flashed a few times before I attempted to overtake them and I also saw that the road was clear.

He looked at me, looked at my wife, looked at my crying daughter and looked at the guy at the back then asked me to come down that nothing will happen to me, I took my company's ID card and my guy at the back and I came down.

He checked the ID and said don't do that again. The others were shouting he must follow us to the station bla bla bla but he was calm.

Eventually they let us go.

They damaged the bumper of my vehicle in the process.

I know I was in the wrong by overtaking them without anyone gesturing that I can go but seriously, WHAT IS THE RULE TO THAT?
Especially on highway, with a wider road and not within the city.

I had to apologise to my family later cos I know it was a traumatic experience for them and I accepted my fault but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

Are we expected to follow convoy from wherever we see them to where ever they are going even if they are driving at 80km per hr?

It is so wrong of the Police. What if you had a medical emergency, or you were rushing to catch a flight or meet up for an appointment?
The least they could have done was to motion for you to slow down when you flashed at them.

I know you wouldn't want to go through the trouble, but the right thing would be to petition the IG and sue the Police. They have to stop acting like tyrants.
Just thank God for your life and that of your family.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by countryman13: 3:52pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
On Wednesday 6th of December, I was driving my family from Ondo to Akure to launch a new business.

We plan to start the event at 12 and it was already past 11am so I was rushing. Along Akure road, I saw this three police convoy going in front but they were not very fast.

I have a really fast car so I was like, I should overtake them and be on my way, I flashed the last pickup with about 3 policemen at the back but they didn't make any reaction and didn't gesture for me to go.

The road ahead of us was long and free, no incoming vehicles so I saw it as an opportunity.

After flashing twice again and no response, I decided to overtake all three pickup vehicles quickly so I switched to sport mode and decided to use my pedal shifter to go faster.

As soon as I revved and started overtaking them, they went crazy and started driving zig-zag on the road leaving me absolutely no room to go.

At the end they ran me into the nearly bush and parked me off. One of them decided to use their vehicles to intentionally brush my car while parking me off the road. They all came down, almost 20 of them and started shooting in the air.

They started shouting come down from this car! Hitting my car everywhere with fist and hitting my glass with the tail of their guns. Somehow my window didn't break even after they hit them 5 or 6 times. (Respect to Acura on that)

One of them pointed his gun at my vehicle and was about to shoot. I roll down my glass and started begging them.

My wife was sitting in front with me and my 2 year old daughter was sitting at the back in the hand of a friend we took along with us to act as MC for the occasion.

My wife quickly collected my daughter from the guy and held her to her chest cos she was already panicking and crying.

I think that was what saved our live cos as soon as they saw my daughter, somehow they calm down a little and started trying to drag me out of the car.

I vehemently refused to go down cos I know I will be beaten or even shot. After a few minutes of acting upset, shooting in the air, one of them that was fat and looks like their leader came down from the middle van.

That was the first time I noticed that the middle van was actually covered at the back which means they may be carrying something. They didn't use a bullion van so there was no indication that they were moving money and they didn't use siren either.

Long story short, the big guy that looked like the boss came to me and said why did I overtake them.

I explained that we were in a hurry and I flashed a few times before I attempted to overtake them and I also saw that the road was clear.

He looked at me, looked at my wife, looked at my crying daughter and looked at the guy at the back then asked me to come down that nothing will happen to me, I took my company's ID card and my guy at the back and I came down.

He checked the ID and said don't do that again. The others were shouting he must follow us to the station bla bla bla but he was calm.

I know I was in the wrong by overtaking them without anyone gesturing that I can go but seriously, WHAT IS THE RULE TO THAT?

I had to apologise to my family later cos I know it was a traumatic experience for them and I accepted my fault but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

Are we expected to follow convoy from wherever we see them to where ever they are going even if they are driving at 80km per hr?
With your last sentence,e b like say u get small strong head. Haven't U seen d speed at which CBN cash carrying convoys travel? If no, try and find one,try to overtake n come bk to share your experience. What you actually tried to do or did was a security breach because you don't know the composition and mission of the convoy. Some police men are bad but don't try to undermine some of them because U might not even try dt act wt a military convoy. Thank God for wife and daughter otherwise, d story no go sweet for belly

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Unrated900(m): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2023
Leave story oooo
I was going to Benin last week..
And at ijebu ode,I met three convoys of bullion van and a mopol driving them.
I wanted to over-took them
They signal me and said guy guy don't over take this convoys.
Lol
I said dey play...
I follow them from ijebu ode to ore.
I flashed them thrice
They nor answer me.
I was driving a CR-V 2009 model
Within a twinkle of an eye,I switched to S mode.
Omo see fire down
I pull over and over take them on 140km/H
See shouting for road bastard idiot
Shoot that motor police says...
Me wey dey on origin plastic.
Omo I no blame u cos u dey fear.
If na me Omo I go fire down ooooo
Afterall na once person dey die...if u need the video of me on 140km let me know.
Fire burn them all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Raph82(m): 4:03pm On Dec 13, 2023
I thank God on ur behalf sha, u don't try to overtake a police convoy. Thanks to God u didn't try that with army convoy, the rest will be history. Those ones have standing order to gun down anybody that tries that with them. If u try to overtake their convoy, they take u for a robber or hired assassin and do the needful.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Unrated900(m): 4:09pm On Dec 13, 2023
More

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by beardedboy(m): 4:10pm On Dec 13, 2023
adanny01:
CBN convoy (blue), you should never attempt to overtake.

VIP, including governors, ministers, military Generals, police senior officers etc it's a bad idea.

You can't even be on the road with the president, the police will block the road 15-30minutes to ETA.

Prisons black Maria (actually green) is a no no.

If these people actually stopped to harass you, then they were busy bodies.

No convoy that actually carries something important stop for anything or anyone. Unless the actual vehicle that carries the important person or thing breaks down.

If you were a threat, stopping means you have achieved your threat. They deserve punishment for oppressing and harassing you.

I have overtaken a convoy of over 20cars of the Nigerian army between Kaduna to Zaria. It was difficult but I did it without them pointing a finger. I had to just find a long stretch because they won't let you in if there is an oncoming car.

Police are the worst set of people in the hell of our country. Next are Doctors and Nurses.
Is this the law or a tip for avoiding murder and harassment?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Unrated900(m): 4:12pm On Dec 13, 2023
Me I don over-take
Army convoy well well
With better glk and nothing happen.
Stop having the fear of the unknown

quote author=Raph82 post=127464982]I thank God on ur behalf sha, u don't try to overtake a police convoy. Thanks to God u didn't try that with army convoy, the rest will be history. Those ones have standing order to gun down anybody that tries that with them. If u try to overtake their convoy, they take u for a robber or hired assassin and do the needful. [/quote]
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by gonkin(m): 4:19pm On Dec 13, 2023
I have overtaken convoy twice.

One was airforce with their Peugeot 406 and 408. Omo na so dem begin pursue me like who thief.

I was using a first generation honda odyssey then. Fear catch me. The Peugeot were fast but honda sef try. They gave up after about 30sec. Maybe they were just catching cruz

2nd time it was these bullion van guys with hilux.
After much waving style blocking. I followed one lexus is300 (respect 2jz) with my 1992 fj80 landcruiser dem no follow us.

I believe they gave room but na the airforce fear me pass.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Princeokwuego1(m): 4:19pm On Dec 13, 2023
my was along owerri - port harcourt express way. i was on there back steady following them to avoid police from stopping me but last van use hand to warn me to slow down while pointing gun towards me. omo i press my break they gave me better distance and i make sure they go far before speeding up again.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by falopey: 4:20pm On Dec 13, 2023
When I was a corp member. We took our corper fellowship bus to ekiti from PH. We tried to overtake a mobile police pickup. They stopped our bus, asked four of us on board to come down. They ask our corp member driver to lie down and he was flogged with many lashes on the grass😀😀😀. What saved us that day was the fact that they saw the writing on the bus as belonging to a corper fellowship. They told us we were lucky it was not in the dark, they could have shot all of us. Our driver friend was made a scape goat. We apologized and were let go.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by lumi8701(m): 4:23pm On Dec 13, 2023
dude tnk ur star cos dey might tynk behind u b robber n u driving a beast monster abeg no try am again. if dos police na malam na stories oooh!
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Chetas81(m): 4:23pm On Dec 13, 2023
POLICE OFFICERS ALMOST KILLED ME IN 2017 WHEN I SPEED 160 KILOMETERS WITH HIGHLANDER , CLOSE TO THE PICKUP, BUT NOT KNOW THAT THEY WERE MANY AS A CONVOY, ONE OF THE PICKUP ZOOM CLOSE TO ME TO PUSH ME FROM THE LANE INTO THE BUSH BUT I SEE HIM THROUGH MY SIDE MIRROR, I WAVED HAND AND HE BREAK MY SIDE MIRROR
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by ariesbull: 4:41pm On Dec 13, 2023
slan87:
Thank your stars for standing by with you, good you already accepted the blame for the whole scenario.

My advice is for you is just to be patience in anything you find yourself doing, that's the only rule of law I know in Nigeria
and if it's in East ....
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by DaTruths: 4:43pm On Dec 13, 2023
SpaceAngel:
Never try that next time , I guess the road was also lonely and they have to be very cautious on who is behind them, and it makes matters worse if it is a lone vehicle which might be suspicious.

Next time just follow them and give some space between you and their vehicle and wait for them to give you signal to pass else stay put , just remember that a living dog is greater than a dead lion.

He asked if it's against a written law.

Don't try it again is not the answer.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Bluebolt: 4:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Me, novice driver after 10 years of driving and at age 35 🤣
ZDX is not fast enough, 0-60mph in 7 seconds (0-100km in 7 secs) is not fast but those sienna you're selling are faster. I agree with you, I should be drag racing with armed policemen.
Okay 👌
Your car is a fast car, it only needs to do a little more work to overcome inattia while it is to pickup speed from standing point, after that it moves very fast, 300hp plus super handling all wheel drive system is not a child’s play
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by saasala(m): 4:48pm On Dec 13, 2023
infocentre:
Thank God for your live.

You really fumble; a big one at that.

Some other officers who have shot you on sight.

For the fact you're are driving a tinted made it worse. Also, as a piece of advice:

1) When they ordered you to come down, next time kindly do so obediently. Believe me, the odd of getting shot in your car for being adamant is higher than coming down

2) Always be patient and give room for unforeseen in your programme. It is better to arrive late and alive than be there in body bag

PS: Go and blur your number plate up there.

@bolded....I was wondering too o
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by saasala(m): 4:49pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Next time come down from the car immediately they ordered you to. Never ever restrain a police order. Its a general law worldwide. Whatever they tell you to do, do it first, you can explain later. You could have lost your life cheaply.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Justiceleague1: 4:51pm On Dec 13, 2023
You gotta go do a serious thanksgiving...
You oughtta have known not to expose yaself to those village people any time especially at this end of year time grin

You should have just followed along from a safe distance behind until maybe,they signal you to overtake.
Perhaps you were driven by your Acura grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by prophetfire: 4:55pm On Dec 13, 2023
fuckJones:
it wrong to overtake police or any military convoy, don't try it next time, they can shoot you.
By the laws of the country it's not wrong. He didn't go fowl of any law whatsoever.
However in Nigeria, our Police behave anyhow and take laws into their hands and make unlawful rules for the citizens.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Justiceleague1: 4:55pm On Dec 13, 2023
DaTruths:

He asked if it's against a written law.

Don't try it again is not the answer.
Oga na naija you dey,shattap ya mouth and quit acting like ye be in Paris or Tokyo or London,thank you very much.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Stephench: 5:05pm On Dec 13, 2023
fuckJones:
it wrong to overtake police or any military convoy, don't try it next time, they can shoot you.
It's wrong in what way? Do you know what you're talking about?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by olisaEze(m): 5:13pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

You must be a very silly person to act so recklessly while carrying your family in the car with you! You see armed men for front, u begin flash light make dem give u chance, onto say u be Sango the god of lightning na?? No try that kind thing again, na ember month we dey like dis! angry

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Sivou1(m): 5:14pm On Dec 13, 2023
Honestly, this country is just somehow. I experienced same thing with Oni of Ife's convoy along Ife-Ibadan road sometimes in February last year. You are not moving and still blocking those that are ready to move, I see it as oppression.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by segyoms: 5:26pm On Dec 13, 2023
Op go and do Thanksgiving in church those guys are not smiling..God was on your side
NOTE: Don't ever try it again unless personal order you to pass..if not they will just waste human being
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by thecommunist(m): 5:35pm On Dec 13, 2023
symbianDON:
Your experience reminds of a similar awkward experience i had with those 'unpleasant' guys. In my case, I was actually going at a speed of about 100km/hr when I noticed the convoy behind me. There were about 4 vehicles. The first, second and third overtook me successfully but the fourth was clearly struggling to overtake. Immediately I noticed that, I magnanimously slowed down and allowed the vehicle overtake. No issues. After a while, I observed that they had reduced speed to about 70-80km/hr. I then proceeded to overtake them. Mistake! Note that I was driving alone and my glasses are clear; no tints. Omoh! Soon as I began to overtake, the zigzag driving started while they were cocking their guns and pointing them menacingly at me! Shoooo! I quickly give myself sense and ran myself into the bush. I felt shaken and humiliated! They could easily have caused an unnecessary accident.
exactly what happened to me some years back. They will overtake you and slow down . I had to drive slowly behind them from over 30 mins before they branched off the sagamu interchange. I was on my way to ibadan and I was running late. I was really mad at them but I was helpless as they pointed thier gun at my vehicle when I tried to overtake. Next time, I see them behind me, I speed like mad and try to avoid them catching up to me
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Cujo007: 5:42pm On Dec 13, 2023
Unfortunately we are living in a lawless country. In truth, there is no law against overtaking a police or whatever convoy. The right to the road belongs to everyone. However, the typical power drunk madness will always rear its nasty head.
Kelvin30286063:

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by ColdHunter(f): 5:53pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

I know. I have to also commend myself for my patience and apologetic mood after it happened. If I tried to argue that day, maybe I'll be dead now and labeled an armed robber.

Why is it wrong? I think that's the point of the thread. Is there any extent law prohibiting that?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:58pm On Dec 13, 2023
Justiceleague1:
You gotta go do a serious thanksgiving...
You oughtta have known not to expose yaself to those village people any time especially at this end of year time grin

You should have just followed along from a safe distance behind until maybe,they signal you to overtake.
Perhaps you were driven by your Acura grin

Thanks for your advice. I wasn't driven by my car, I was just trying to get to where I was going fast and trust me, driving behind a Convoy doing just 80km per hour can be frustrating. Even for regular commercial buses. I was hoping they will pass me after going behind them for almost 10 minutes but they refuse so I decided to just go.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2023
ColdHunter:

Why is it wrong? I think that's the point of the thread. Is there any extent law prohibiting that?
There is no law prohibiting that other than a Nigeria factor and policemen's uncertainties.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

As A Driver, What Would You Do In This Situation? / Truck Crushes Motorcyclist To Death In Ibadan (photo) / What The Warning Symbols Flashing On Your Car's Dashboard Is Trying To Tell You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.