Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,375 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? (28928 Views)

Wrong Overtaking: Who Is At Fault? / What does The Law Says Concerning HACKNEY Permit / 3 Porsche Panamera Convoy Carries 24 Gold Bars Worth £10m (₦5B) Across London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Kelvin30286063(m): 6:03pm On Dec 13, 2023
Yampotatocarrot:

Actually, you can overtake them, there's nothing against it, but it has to be AFTER THEY HAVE WAVED YOU TO PASS

I love the way you narrated and even took the blame where necessary... Only issue was your impatience... They would have waved you to pass, I've seen them do it severally, especially soldiers, they'll even wave you to pass and greet your children if you have kids in the car

Thanks for your advice. I was just trying to get to where I was going and trust me, driving behind a Convoy doing just 80km/hr can be frustrating. Even for regular commercial buses. I was hoping they will pass me after following behind them for at least 10 minutes but they didn't so I decided to just go.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Exceed15: 6:07pm On Dec 13, 2023
You risked your life bro. You acted as a threat. Don't do such again. Nigeria police no well.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Exceed15: 6:08pm On Dec 13, 2023
You risked your life bro. You acted as a threat. Don't do such again. Nigeria police no well.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by uniquetechng: 6:08pm On Dec 13, 2023
Angrigowt:
Last time I did that was last year October. Was on 80kph on express and didn't quickly sight bank bullion van.they also did the same zig zag swerve when they saw me with speed. Like an angry goat I also followed dia pattern of zig zag since me even like drift. Las las 7 of them came down. Told me to wind down. Open the 4 doors,come down..and I said my shop was on fire and I was about 10mins away to the shop .that I didn't see then ahead. Las las dem let me go. After 5mins of questioning and what I did for a living,ID card and where I was coming from. I swear.e don tay wey I do am. But it's always them at my back. And once I hear a siren about 20 to 30 feet away I go press sport mode. Them must not see my back. Anyway dis your acura na 3.5liter engine.but I'm sure its non turbo. The horsepower should be close to 300 or less.
ZDX is 300hp and 270 torque
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Adewale1603(m): 6:11pm On Dec 13, 2023
May Nigeria not happen to you. Say a Big amen
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Ifyz0001: 6:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
With the level of insecurity in the country now, the best thing to do is to give them way.

So they won't brandish you as a criminal opposing justice.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by jakD: 6:28pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
On Wednesday 6th of December, I was driving my family from Ondo to Akure to launch a new business.

We plan to start the event at 12 and it was already past 11am so I was rushing. Along Akure road, I saw this three police convoy going in front but they were not very fast.

I have a really fast car so I was like, I should overtake them and be on my way, I flashed the last pickup with about 3 policemen at the back but they didn't make any reaction and didn't gesture for me to go.

The road ahead of us was long and free, no incoming vehicles so I saw it as an opportunity.

After flashing twice again and no response, I decided to overtake all three pickup vehicles quickly so I switched to sport mode and decided to use my pedal shifter to go faster.

As soon as I revved and started overtaking them, they went crazy and started driving zig-zag on the road leaving me absolutely no room to go.

At the end they ran me into the nearly bush and parked me off. One of them decided to use their vehicles to intentionally brush my car while parking me off the road. They all came down, almost 20 of them and started shooting in the air.

They started shouting come down from this car! Hitting my car everywhere with fist and hitting my glass with the tail of their guns. Somehow my window didn't break even after they hit them 5 or 6 times. (Respect to Acura on that)

One of them pointed his gun at my vehicle and was about to shoot. I roll down my glass and started begging them.

My wife was sitting in front with me and my 2 year old daughter was sitting at the back in the hand of a friend we took along with us to act as MC for the occasion.

My wife quickly collected my daughter from the guy and held her to her chest cos she was already panicking and crying.

I think that was what saved our live cos as soon as they saw my daughter, somehow they calm down a little and started trying to drag me out of the car.

I vehemently refused to go down cos I know I will be beaten or even shot. After a few minutes of acting upset, shooting in the air, one of them that was fat and looks like their leader came down from the middle van.

That was the first time I noticed that the middle van was actually covered at the back which means they may be carrying something. They didn't use a bullion van so there was no indication that they were moving money and they didn't use siren either.

Long story short, the big guy that looked like the boss came to me and said why did I overtake them.

I explained that we were in a hurry and I flashed a few times before I attempted to overtake them and I also saw that the road was clear.

He looked at me, looked at my wife, looked at my crying daughter and looked at the guy at the back then asked me to come down that nothing will happen to me, I took my company's ID card and my guy at the back and I came down.

He checked the ID and said don't do that again. The others were shouting he must follow us to the station bla bla bla but he was calm.

Eventually they let us go.

They damaged the bumper of my vehicle in the process.

I know I was in the wrong by overtaking them without anyone gesturing that I can go but seriously, WHAT IS THE RULE TO THAT?
Especially on highway, with a wider road and not within the city.

I had to apologise to my family later cos I know it was a traumatic experience for them and I accepted my fault but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

Are we expected to follow convoy from wherever we see them to where ever they are going even if they are driving at 80km per hr?

Hi bro.

Next time, even if you are to overtake a convoy at all, either you have a tinted glass or not, whine down all glasses completely first.
Flash them like you did, then turn on your indicator light to show your intention.
Flash them again, make a move by swerving to the other lane and then, flash them again why in that other lane. This time the drivers will be aware of your intention and not just the guards alone.

Thank God for your safety anyway.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Coolgent(m): 6:35pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:
On Wednesday 6th of December, I was driving my family from Ondo to Akure to launch a new business.

We plan to start the event at 12 and it was already past 11am so I was rushing. Along Akure road, I saw this three police convoy going in front but they were not very fast.

I have a really fast car so I was like, I should overtake them and be on my way, I flashed the last pickup with about 3 policemen at the back but they didn't make any reaction and didn't gesture for me to go.

The road ahead of us was long and free, no incoming vehicles so I saw it as an opportunity.

After flashing twice again and no response, I decided to overtake all three pickup vehicles quickly so I switched to sport mode and decided to use my pedal shifter to go faster.

As soon as I revved and started overtaking them, they went crazy and started driving zig-zag on the road leaving me absolutely no room to go.

At the end they ran me into the nearly bush and parked me off. One of them decided to use their vehicles to intentionally brush my car while parking me off the road. They all came down, almost 20 of them and started shooting in the air.

They started shouting come down from this car! Hitting my car everywhere with fist and hitting my glass with the tail of their guns. Somehow my window didn't break even after they hit them 5 or 6 times. (Respect to Acura on that)

One of them pointed his gun at my vehicle and was about to shoot. I roll down my glass and started begging them.

My wife was sitting in front with me and my 2 year old daughter was sitting at the back in the hand of a friend we took along with us to act as MC for the occasion.

My wife quickly collected my daughter from the guy and held her to her chest cos she was already panicking and crying.

I think that was what saved our live cos as soon as they saw my daughter, somehow they calm down a little and started trying to drag me out of the car.

I vehemently refused to go down cos I know I will be beaten or even shot. After a few minutes of acting upset, shooting in the air, one of them that was fat and looks like their leader came down from the middle van.

That was the first time I noticed that the middle van was actually covered at the back which means they may be carrying something. They didn't use a bullion van so there was no indication that they were moving money and they didn't use siren either.

Long story short, the big guy that looked like the boss came to me and said why did I overtake them.

I explained that we were in a hurry and I flashed a few times before I attempted to overtake them and I also saw that the road was clear.

He looked at me, looked at my wife, looked at my crying daughter and looked at the guy at the back then asked me to come down that nothing will happen to me, I took my company's ID card and my guy at the back and I came down.

He checked the ID and said don't do that again. The others were shouting he must follow us to the station bla bla bla but he was calm.

I know I was in the wrong by overtaking them without anyone gesturing that I can go but seriously, WHAT IS THE RULE TO THAT?

I had to apologise to my family later cos I know it was a traumatic experience for them and I accepted my fault but I'm still confused on how I was wrong. The road was straight, long, clear of incoming vehicles and I flashed and horned.

Are we expected to follow convoy from wherever we see them to where ever they are going even if they are driving at 80km per hr?
I have overtook both police and military vehicles on so many occasions, sometimes they even encouraged me to do so.
Whenever any military or paramilitary ask you to stop...
Roll down your glass for him to ensure that they are safe (you ain't armed)
Then introduce yourself immediately or surrender your means of identification.
Majority of those guys are under the influence of drugs avoid arguing with them if possible.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Torimaster(m): 6:39pm On Dec 13, 2023
If you encounter such slow convoys on the highway, simply enter one way, speed up and return back after about 1 or 2 kilometers of fast driving... I do that alot
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by symbianDON(m): 6:42pm On Dec 13, 2023
thecommunist:
Next time, I see them behind me, I speed like mad and try to avoid them catching up to me
grin
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Saviola86: 6:44pm On Dec 13, 2023
Nigeria is an animal farm with no laws so never try to behave like normal humans should otherwise you could lose your life
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by MICVOCT(m): 6:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Much more appreciated at the manner at which you've explained yourself.

Going forward, don't short cut your story line.

You're a good writer.

MICVOCT
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by DaTruths: 6:49pm On Dec 13, 2023
Justiceleague1:

Oga na naija you dey,shattap ya mouth and quit acting like ye be in Paris or Tokyo or London,thank you very much.

You don't understand, we know Nigeria is lawless, and its best to be safe first whether its your right or not.

But the question was, is it a written law?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by GoodRocks: 7:00pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

I know. I have to also commend myself for my patience and apologetic mood after it happened. If I tried to argue that day, maybe I'll be dead now and labeled an armed robber.

Dude Go and do Thanksgiving in your church. Also you had luck you weren't alone in that car, by now na other story we for dey hear.
U get mind go overtake Nigeria police and military? Dey play!

Dude, it's either you park for them to go far ahead or you give them large gap while driving. Have you ever seen anyone over taking Nigerian police or military? Esp when in a convoy?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by GoodRocks: 7:01pm On Dec 13, 2023
DaTruths:

You don't understand, we know Nigeria is lawless, and its best to be safe first whether its your right or not.

When they shoot dead and label you an armed robber, I hope you'll get up from your grave and ask them if it's written in law? U think Nigeria is USA?
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Slurity(m): 7:02pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

THE ONLY PART YOU GOT WRONG IS USAGE OF FLASHLIGHT TO CALL THEIR ATTENTION, YOU KNOW FOR SURE YOU NEEDED THE PERMISSION TO OVERTAKE THEM. PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN OVERTAKE A SINGLE POLICE VAN BUT NOT A CONVOY, I HAVE WITHNESS A SITUATION WHEREBY A CAR ON HIGH SPEED WAS BLOCKED FROM OVERTAKING AND IT END UP IN A FATAL ACCIDENT. IT IS PART OF THE SECURITY STRATEGIES AND INSTRUCTION GIVEN TO THEM. HIGH WAY RUBBERS WILL NEED TO OVERAKE THEM OR BLOCK THEM BEFORE SUCCESSFUL OPERATION CAN HAPPEN, THAT IS WHY THEY DONT ALLOW IT.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Dskillful(m): 7:11pm On Dec 13, 2023
Actually there's no rule per say that covers that just as it is not written in the constitution not to make calls at military or police checking points. But some rules are invented based on experiences, most times vehicles trying to over take or coming too close to military convoys have bad intentions either to spring attacks or suicide bombing that's why there is restriction to overtake military convoy or making calls at checking point.

What you would have done was to roll down you class and give signals to the police at the rear vehicle, they may understand and let you pass. Especially army, most times the army will even tell you to pass because they don't like vehicles lining up behind their vehicles.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by flokii: 7:24pm On Dec 13, 2023
So with all the news about Police brutality, some people still have mind to overtake Police convoy in this Nigeria?

@OP God saved you else they would have shot everyone in your "fast" car dead including your wife and crying daughter.. Never you overtake a Police, Paramilitary or Military convoy no matter the hurry. Safety first.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by MrNipplesLover(m): 7:27pm On Dec 13, 2023
How do u people drive that they would catch up with u?

I don't care about any stupid convoy... On third mainland bridge, na who sabi drive go dey ahead...

I dey overtake dem cos I hate those stupid siren blowing around me.... If u overtake a convoy, be ready to speed as fast as u can to leave them far behind...

Once I sight convoy approaching, I increase my speed if I'm ahead...

If I meet them in the front, I maintain I distanced lane and zoom off...

Lexus ES350 get speed for leg, na who sabi race go lead...

Na how dem dey take zigzag una until dey catch up with u self?

As for me, it is racing time...

I don go...

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Twista0(m): 7:32pm On Dec 13, 2023
For them to act it that way, means they were transporting something, could be arms or money....
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by finallybusy: 7:34pm On Dec 13, 2023
The only rule when dealing with the police is to avoid them completely. They are like Nairaland’s spambot; one day it bans you for typing spam, another it deletes your full legitimate paragraph. They are highly unpredictable. If you cannot face a snake while unarmed, apply the same logic to the Nigerian police force.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by firearcher: 7:35pm On Dec 13, 2023
I doubt there is any law that states this but common sense dictates that one be careful in such situations.

For example, if you approach a security post under high alert maybe due to high incidence of suicide bombing, you have to approach it in a non threatening manner. E.g. keep your hands up in the air, drop your backpack if you are carrying one and do anything that would help them conclude you are not a threat to them.

Driving a vehicle with tinted mirror and trying to overtake a armed convoy puts you across as a security threat immediately. Why? Because they are trained to be alert to such situations. And because if anyone or group will harm a convoy, they will need to block, overtake it and get it to stop.

Knowing that should help you control your impulse to overtake and embrace a non threatening approach.

Even you yourself will not allow any vehicle you deem suspicious to overtake you if you have your way.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by ShenTeh(m): 7:50pm On Dec 13, 2023
In Nigeria, we blame the victim.

Always.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by YaQsGaYa(m): 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2023
If no be MuMU you be, if you see three Armoured gun trucks in your front while on a journey will you over take? grin grin grin average Nigerian Man get mental disorder....we full this country....
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by YourKarma: 8:29pm On Dec 13, 2023
Georgekyrian:

Yes If they want you to overtake, they will signal you

You're right on this.
Happened to me today. The driver of one of the hiluxes signalled me to pass and I did
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by gidjah(m): 8:29pm On Dec 13, 2023
I drive rough too and been a personnel my self, I can't even drive close enough to convoys, they HAVE A RED ALERT PERMITS!SHOOT AT SIGHT ONCE YOU FEEL THREATENED !SO BE AWARE TOMORROW SIR.Therr might not be law backing but there are unwritten laws against overtsking public security convoys, you hardly see them on HIGH WAYS save when there are SPECIAL ASSIGNMENTS .TAKE NOTE

1 Like

Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by tnerro1(m): 8:40pm On Dec 13, 2023
Don’t cut vehicles in convoy, it’s for security reasons, they may think u have a plan to cause harm
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Afolue(m): 8:41pm On Dec 13, 2023
You may not be wrong but take it or leave it, it was a deadly risk you undertook attempting that. Don’t do that again. These guy are daring, most of them if not all are on drugs carry out deadly missions…
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Justiceleague1: 8:45pm On Dec 13, 2023
DaTruths:

Some laws in naija are not written..laws ain't written in the jungle,are they,now?
But you n I know they are obeyed
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by RoadMozart(m): 8:47pm On Dec 13, 2023
Thank God you arrived safe. I have overtaken prison convoy without stress but the one that showed me shege was along lagos road. Last month, was hired to drop some people off in lagos from FUTA north gate. Vehicle was on Hiace bus. I got to toll gate before Ijebu Ode and decided to refuel at customs checkpoint there. As i was joining the road, i saw the convoy approaching the first 5 passed. When i looked the road was clear and i zoomed off. Little did i know that they were still behind. I saw they slowed down and started using hand signals to warn me. When i looked back i saw one renault van and hilux behind.

They guys don dey squeeze me commot from road. My passengers were really scared but i no worry. They were driving ziz zag with their stupid sirens till i parked and let them go at Fari (under ijebu ode first bridge)
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Justiceleague1: 8:49pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

Thanks for your advice. I wasn't driven by my car, I was just trying to get to where I was going fast and trust me, driving behind a Convoy doing just 80km per hour can be frustrating. Even for regular commercial buses. I was hoping they will pass me after going behind them for almost 10 minutes but they refuse so I decided to just go.
Ok but please, don't ever do that again,(omg you had you in your car and can only imagine....)those guys can be very nasty.

Whatever you do,no matter what,y'all keep close to God, always.
Re: What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? by Judolisco(m): 8:53pm On Dec 13, 2023
Kelvin30286063:

it's not jst any bullion van... If d state cbn is coming from d Central cbn in Abuja... Oga dem no born anybody well to overtake oh... U must keep following them at d back... I don't know d envoy u encountered but it's not them...if na dem, you would have received a warning shot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

As A Driver, What Would You Do In This Situation? / Truck Crushes Motorcyclist To Death In Ibadan (photo) / What The Warning Symbols Flashing On Your Car's Dashboard Is Trying To Tell You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.