Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,996 members, 7,810,772 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. (53026 Views)

See The Goat Meat Pepper Soup I Made To Reciprocate Love To My Female Neighbor / Oha Soup For Better In-laws (pics & video) / Photo Of The Oha Soup I Prepared With N850 In School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Jeon(f): 4:50pm On Dec 08, 2023
Probz:

Why do Yorubas stir ewedu with broomsticks? Is that healthy or even normal?

Is ewedu even soup?

How is using broom [never been used on the floor ]to cook unhealthy or abnormal?

In Edo, broom is also used to stir soup or fry Garri to avoid them from burning.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by doggedfighter(f): 4:54pm On Dec 08, 2023
Neoteny7:

Is you the her?

Yes I am the oha soup neighbour.😂

Ask the Op 😄
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Mosba: 4:54pm On Dec 08, 2023
Keepamsafe:
Just this morning, my female neighbor brought this Oha Soup for me after I apologized to her yesterday over our last fracas. (I brought a girl home, and we had an issue.).

Please note, I have no entanglements with this my neighbor as im not sexually attracted to her even though she’s single and I am too.

I have started eating already, as this is my breakfast to work this morning.

Eat carefully
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by 123papas(m): 4:55pm On Dec 08, 2023
You would soon be attracted to her. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach
Keepamsafe:
Just this morning, my female neighbor brought this Oha Soup for me after I apologized to her yesterday over our last fracas. (I brought a girl home, and we had an issue.).

Please note, I have no entanglements with this my neighbor as im not sexually attracted to her even though she’s single and I am too.

1 Like

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Pallium: 4:55pm On Dec 08, 2023
Ijaya123:

Let me help you ignorance. Yorubas don't stir ewedu with broomstick. It is pounded with whisk, traditionally called 'Ijabe' or done with blender.

Do you also know that:
Ewedu is called Rama in Hausa, Malukhiyah in Egypt, molohiya in Isreal, krain krain in Sierra Loene and mrenda in Kenya. Ewedu is used to produce soup (taushe) or mixed with kuli kuli (groundnut cake) to form a dish known as kwado in Hausa. Ewedu is good for weight loss because of its low calorific content and it helps strengthen the immune system, fights off stress and heart disease. Ewedu is a folk remedy for aches and pains, dysentery, enteritis, fever, dysentery, pectoral pains, and tumors.

Hope that helps.

It also helps to improve eyesight.
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Miravik900(m): 5:00pm On Dec 08, 2023
Boondocxs:

Talk to you sister and your mother first
Ewu Gabon

I need to talk to your ashawo sef first cuz my sisters are not like you
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by samuelson06(m): 5:02pm On Dec 08, 2023
Keepamsafe:

Are you from Rivers state?
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by marksleek2584(m): 5:03pm On Dec 08, 2023
Keepamsafe:

Bro, forget this thing. Your neighbor is crushing on you big time! You think it's all female neighbors that are this nice this time around? 😀 she took her time preparing this dish bro!
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Probz(m): 5:04pm On Dec 08, 2023
Ijaya123:

Let me help you ignorance. Yorubas don't stir ewedu with broomstick. It is pounded with whisk, traditionally called 'Ijabe' or done with blender.

Do you also know that:
Ewedu is called Rama in Hausa, Malukhiyah in Egypt, molohiya in Isreal, krain krain in Sierra Loene and mrenda in Kenya. Ewedu is used to produce soup (taushe) or mixed with kuli kuli (groundnut cake) to form a dish known as kwado in Hausa. Ewedu is good for weight loss because of its low calorific content and it helps strengthen the immune system, fights off stress and heart disease. Ewedu is a folk remedy for aches and pains, dysentery, enteritis, fever, dysentery, pectoral pains, and tumors.

Hope that helps.

They use broomsticks. Not all but more than is non-concerning. You know they do.

I know all about the variations of what Yorubas call ewedu (heck, it’s a thing in Nsuka). But the Yoruba way of making it is by-far the worst. Stick to the stew part of it if you’re not going to cook the greener stuff properly. No-doubt the leaves are healthy enough but that doesn’t amount to as much as it could when the general standard of cooking it among S.W. Nigerians is very poor. One can survive on onugbu, afang, Ekiti egusi (even) , Delta egusi pepper soup or, indeed, oha indefinitely but with ewedu you’d likely die of malnutrition after under a week.

Let’s be real. Ewedu isn’t a soup. Not a rightly-called one or one that looks appetising in the least. It just looks like someone’s puked up that extra-green fried rice that that vlogger cooked up the other day, mashed it to a pulp and added stone. The way it’s made, notwithstanding the general health benefits of the leaf itself, just isn’t nutritious or palatable to the average Igbo man or woman. The more east-southerly a Nigerian’s origins are (starting from Osun and ending in southernmost Akwa Ibom), the higher the standards they tend to have when it comes to soup. Ewedu (the way it’s made by Yorubas who do it) might be okay for some Yorubas, Hausas and Edos but for a Calabar person or Anambra Igbo who’s used to akpu and onugbu-egusi/ukwa nni-ji and ofe oha, it simply won’t do. Not good enough and not by a long osu-chalk (which is better off used for some okazi-and-ugu egusi-binding). You know it isn’t so why are we even having this conversation?

No-doubt Yorubas are good at cooking rice and a few other things but when it comes to soup I’d only single out Ondo, Ekiti and chunks of Osun as being anything close to good. The rest are utterly hopeless.

1 Like

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Jungleluv5: 5:04pm On Dec 08, 2023
What a bad habit must you bring anything you do in your house to social media? Nonsense
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Pristine664: 5:05pm On Dec 08, 2023
doggedfighter:
Enjoy your meal.

And enjoy good neighbourliness too.

She's not sexually attracted to you too. grin

OP be like say na this girl give you the soup. cheesy
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by BBIA: 5:10pm On Dec 08, 2023
Omihanifa:
Pound her very well tonight. Don't have mercy on her
What if her name is mercy?

1 Like

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by RPG2020(m): 5:11pm On Dec 08, 2023
This one go don chop witch 🧹🧹🧹 hoping say na salad 🥗 grin
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Probz(m): 5:11pm On Dec 08, 2023
Jeon:

How is using broom [never been used on the floor ]to cook unhealthy or abnormal?

In Edo, broom is also used to stir soup or fry Garri to avoid them from burning.

That better-not be where the witch-stereotype comes from. Black soup is sha lit (from a health-perspective anyway), and so’s their dried stew made with more groundnut oil (I feel like Edo people have a very particular way of making stew, and it’s very correct) and kpomo.

As for the broomstick shiz, what if you ingest a splinter? And in any case, do you not think that someone somewhere in Oyo hasn’t used it on the floor at some point and picked it up to stir emergency ewedu (at the very least)? What’s wrong with an actual whisk?

1 Like

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by smiliyB(f): 5:13pm On Dec 08, 2023
Keepamsafe:

why did I read "this is my last meal to work tho" that's crazy angry grin grin Enjoy jare, no fail to invite us for wedding sha wink cheesy
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by SALIMAN(m): 5:16pm On Dec 08, 2023
thats amazing
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by IjebuWarrior: 5:20pm On Dec 08, 2023
OP.. did you say your neighbor or[i] room mate[/i]?

Why would your neighbor be angry over your personal life? I'm confused.
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by jubrilELsudan: 5:21pm On Dec 08, 2023
YOU DEY FVCK HER?

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by LeeSmart: 5:26pm On Dec 08, 2023
spencekat:
She for put am for red bowl naa grin
That one na kanayo o. kanayo style now.

2 Likes

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by spencekat(m): 5:27pm On Dec 08, 2023
LeeSmart:

That one na kanayo o. kanayo style now.
grin
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Ijaya123: 5:29pm On Dec 08, 2023
Probz:

They use broomsticks. Not all but more than is non-concerning. You know they do.

I know all about the variations of what Yorubas call ewedu (heck, it’s a thing in Nsuka). But the Yoruba way of making it is by-far the worst. Stick to the stew part of it if you’re not going to cook the greener stuff properly. No-doubt the leaves are healthy enough but that doesn’t amount to as much as it could when the general standard of cooking it among S.W. Nigerians is very poor. One can survive on onugbu, afang, Ekiti egusi (even) , Delta egusi pepper soup or, indeed, oha indefinitely but with ewedu you’d likely die of malnutrition after under a week.

Let’s be real. Ewedu isn’t a soup. Not a rightly-called one or one that looks appetising in the least. It just looks like someone’s puked up that extra-green fried rice that that vlogger cooked up the other day, mashed it to a pulp and added stone. The way it’s made, notwithstanding the general health benefits of the leaf itself, just isn’t nutritious or palatable to the average Igbo man or woman. The more east-southerly a Nigerian’s origins are (starting from Osun and ending in southernmost Akwa Ibom), the higher the standards they tend to have when it comes to soup. Ewedu (the way it’s made by Yorubas who do it) might be okay for some Yorubas, Hausas and Edos but for a Calabar person or Anambra Igbo who’s used to akpu and onugbu-egusi/ukwa nni-ji and ofe oha, it simply won’t do. Not good enough and not by a long osu-chalk (which is better off used for some okazi-and-ugu egusi-binding). You know it isn’t so why are we even having this conversation? No-doubt Yorubas are good at cooking jollof rice and a few other things but when it comes to soup I’d only single out Ondo, Ekiti and Osun as being anything close to good. The rest are utterly hopeless.

And if I may ask you, why are you having self-induced migraines over Yoruba people’s soup?
Did anybody put a gun to your head to eat it or the people who are eating it came to lodge a complaint with you?

Moreover, the Ęgusi you mentioned in your post also belong to the Yorubas.

I’m trying to understand the obsession here.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Probz(m): 5:33pm On Dec 08, 2023
Ijaya123:

And if I may ask you, why are you having self-induced migraines over Yoruba people’s soup?
Did anybody put a gun to your head to eat it or the people who are eating it came to lodge a complaint with you?

I’m trying to understand the obsession here.

Anyway, I’m trying to understand the obsession some jealous people have with underplaying the quality of Igbo soups (like them or don’t like them; that’s not the point), so I’m adding my own. I’m taciturn in my speech and prolix in my writing. That’s just how it is.

Why are people having migraines over the fact that Igbos sabi a good soup-thickener in egusi, yam, cocoyam, ofor and achi (etc.)? What’s their own on a thread about oha soup?

Egusi belongs to Yorubas? You’re a funny one indeed. I know what you’re going to say about the word egusi specifically being passed on to Igbo only through Igala (which admittedly makes sense because it’s Anambra and Enugu Igbos who use the word egwusi dialectically the most; in some Imo and Abia tongue-nitty-gritty niches it’s called something different) but that doesn’t mean that the soup itself, whether you wan. call am, isn’t as native to Igbos as it is Yorubas, Hausas, Tivs and Ibibios. The seeds are planted, grown and cooked all over West Africa for God’s sake. No one ethnic group in Nigeria has monopoly on that but the fact remains that the various Igbo ways of making it are better-liked than most of the corresponding Yoruba ones, and argue with that all you like but you know the truth deep-down. Admit it, don’t admit it. That really isn’t my problem.
The word okra itself is derived from the Igbo word okwuru (okwulu/okwuru-npiene) but that doesn’t stop Yorubas from having their own equivalent/s, ila (the best of-which comes from, you guessed it, Ondo), or much of Old World tropics and places between Africa and India using it for centuries before the more universal name for it happened to be christened by one particular language. Does that mean Yorubas didn’t know ila until the name okra/okro went mainstream? Likewise, the whole of Nigeria knows ogbono as just that (Edos and some Igalas value it more than most Igbos; at least one Umuzocha, Awka, village has ogbono as its prized staple and as far as I know that’s the extent of its value beyond the fact that it’s just a convenience-thickener that pairs well with okro) but in Yoruba (at least one particular dialect) it’s called apon, yet it ogbono was being talked about as exclusively an Igbo soup you’d probably be in here reminding us that it’s called apon in Yoruba and was used among you people before the name ogbono per-se became mainstream. Some ignorant Yoruba people with a very myopic, tribal self-aggrandising way of seeing Nigeria even claim ogbono as their invention, forgetting that the very name literally comes from Igbo and that most Nigerians are talking about Igbo ogbono when they talk about ogbono, not apon-trash.

I’m trying to understand the obsessive jealousy here. What I’m also doing is stating it as it is rather than letting my thinking be biased by sentient tribalism. I’m not that kind of person but that Igbos have more variety of traditional food and soups than Yorubas there’s no doubt, even if you try so hard not to admit it or are the kind of person who’d re-elect Tinubu over Obi. I’m not just saying that because I happen to be Igbo.

Gin’s calling my name now so buh-bye. If you still want to find something to argue about, just know that you’ll be arguing with yourself and that is not the sanest way to spend a Friday evening. Nor am I the sort of person to get into a silly tribal argument with. I fight fire and brimstone and I win, because unlike some I actually know what I’m talking about. And I’m not looking through a myopic insular lens to big up any one tribe. I’m way beyond that. I’m very anti-tribalism but I’m also anti-wilful sentient ignorance.

And don’t you dare claim as purely Yoruba an egusi that you’ve learnt from Igbos to cook with ugu of all vegetables (Igbo word for a green vegetable which doesn’t even grow further West than Delta State). Tribalism won’t kill us-die (TWKUD) but it’s to the detriment of Nigerians’ awareness of stuff in general. Always looking at everything through a very insular tribal point of view.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Probz(m): 5:35pm On Dec 08, 2023
thisisit:
When an ogbanje girl likes you... You get gift of oha soup from her in a white plate

That’s a whole other story.
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by ManirBK: 5:38pm On Dec 08, 2023
Neoteny7:
Why the hell is this on the front page?
nlfpmod pls come suprise this chairman!
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by emperor863(m): 5:45pm On Dec 08, 2023
DevilishMan:

RIP in advance bro.
Tell Mohbad they've released Naira Marley & Sam Larry.

You wicked small.

1 Like

Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by esosuo2: 5:50pm On Dec 08, 2023
Keepamsafe:

Na love portion you don chop so ,next month we will see the result in a new front page 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by SweetDipBenny(m): 5:54pm On Dec 08, 2023
Keepamsafe:

Ok na. Continue
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by 9jaflave: 5:58pm On Dec 08, 2023
You are digging your grave unknowingly.
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Ashley86400: 6:06pm On Dec 08, 2023
Overrated soup
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Neoteny7: 6:06pm On Dec 08, 2023
doggedfighter:

Yes I am the oha soup neighbour.😂

Ask the Op 😄

Is it true you're sexually unattractive? tongue
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by VIKTO83(m): 6:10pm On Dec 08, 2023
In an election everything counts as nothing is for free.
Re: See The Oha Soup My Female Neighbor Brought For Me This Morning. by Lampass(m): 6:10pm On Dec 08, 2023
Keepamsafe:

You go soon pay her bride price, e don be for you be that. No dey eat where you not fit do forever, e get why I talk so

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Much Is Tomatoes Paste In Your Area? / Huge Fish Spotted At Yaba. What's The Name? / 10 Delicious Nigerian Street Foods (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.