Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,846 members, 7,813,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:58 PM

Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark (3857 Views)

'Leaked Mathematics Question Paper': WAEC Reacts / Henry Suubi: Viral Photo Changed Makerere University Student's Life In Uganda / Meet Iya Abubakar Who Became A Professor Of Mathematics At 28 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by birth100: 6:58pm On Dec 11, 2023
A viral equation question shared via the X app has ignited a heated debate amongst social media users who saw it
Netizens in the comments section reacted with conflicting opinions on the correct answer
The equation further led to arguments between those who believed the answer was 4 and others who argued it was 36
A young lady on the X app recently posted a photo of a mathematical equation that caused a serious controversy.

The equation, “60 ÷ 5(7-4) =” prompted users to provide their answers in the comments section of the X post shared by @moyosco0000.

Viral photo of Maths question
Photo credit: @moyoscooooo/Twitter, Brooke Fasani/ Getty Images.
Depicted person has no relationship with story. Photo used for illustration only.Source: UGC

Equation with conflicting answers goes viral on X
However, the conflicting responses from netizens led to a heated debate among them in the comments section.

The disagreement stemmed from the order of operations as outlined by the acronym PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction).

Some users argued that the answer was 36, as they believed the division should be performed first, resulting in 60 ÷ 5 = 12, and then multiplying by the result of the parentheses, 12(7-4) = 12(3) = 36.

On the other hand, those who supported the answer of 4 contended that the multiplication should be done before the division, resulting in 5(7-4) = 5(3) = 15, and then dividing 60 by 15, resulting in 60 ÷ 15 = 4.

Twitter users engage in heated Mathematics debate
As the debate rages on, Twitter users continue to engage in passionate discussions, defending their respective answers and citing mathematical principles.

@mamuzoADUMS said:

“4. That’s the only answer.”

@drteepie reacted:

“I know BODMAS is the most popular method we have been taught here but not all problems could be solved using BODMAS. The question really is what value are you trying to create? For instance, PEDMAS = 36 BODMAS = 4.”

@Silvangit reacted:

“60 ÷ 5(7 – 4). Using BODMAS. 60 ÷ 5(3) 12(3). 36.”

@Item66 said:

“Scrolling through comments and nobody has been able to get the right answer.”

@Saninrooks commented:

“Only genuises can get this. BODMAS.”

@MartmagMS commented:

“It’s pathetic many people who only did little mathematics are misrepresenting and misinterpreting the question. You need to understand something rightly!”

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by immortalcrown(m): 6:58pm On Dec 11, 2023
God made man.

Man made Maths.

Maths made man mad.

3 Likes

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by jaeyking(m): 7:06pm On Dec 11, 2023
36 is the answer na

Which kind unnecessary argument

BODMAS
Means solve anything in the bracket first
The follow order which is either power or exponential or root

60 ÷ 5(7-4)

Bracket - (7 - 4) = (3)
Order - is absent since no root, exponential or power
Division - 60 ÷ 5 = 12
Multiplication - 12 (3)

Final answer 36

11 Likes

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by birth100: 7:08pm On Dec 11, 2023
jaeyking:
4 is the answer na

How pls explain, because a lot of us are confuse
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by jaeyking(m): 7:16pm On Dec 11, 2023
birth100:

How pls explain, because a lot of us are confuse

I just checked its 36

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by illicit(m): 7:25pm On Dec 11, 2023
Me

I don't know maths
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by birth100: 7:27pm On Dec 11, 2023
jaeyking:

I just checked its 36
Teacher don't teach me nonsense

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Absuchat(m): 8:24pm On Dec 11, 2023
4 is the god-damned Answer

BODMAS

5(7-4)=
(35-20)=
Therefore,
60/15=

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Fahvvy: 8:52pm On Dec 11, 2023
The answer is 4

60 ÷ 5 (7 - 4)
60 ÷ 5 (3)
60 ÷ 15

If you still doubt this, lets try substitution method

Let the A be the left hand side, that is A = 60
And let B equal the right hand side, that is B = 5 (7 - 4)

So in essence, the above equation becomes:
A ÷ B

A is 60 and B is 15,
So the equation becomes 60 ÷ 15 = 4

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by IVORY2009(m): 10:22pm On Dec 11, 2023
The equation can be solved as follows:

60 / 5 (7 - 4)

= 60 / 5 * 3

= 12 * 3

= 36
[Image of 60/5 (7-4) = 36]

Therefore, 60÷5(7-4) = 36.

2 Likes

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by LowKeyManny: 10:28pm On Dec 11, 2023
I'm worried that we all can't agree between 36 or 4 which is the correct answer. Is there something missing? Is there any rule in BODMAS being wrongly applied? My calculation is sha 36.

60÷5(7-4) =

60÷5(3) =

12(3) =

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzchhbrqIBI?si=hJG_yBlrP3xbztVx

Update: This video sheds light on the equation which I found to be useful as well.

The other angle to this is the expression has been incorrectly set up and division ÷ sign is cause of the ambiguity. A parenthesis would better reflect the equation as follows:

60/(5(7-4)) =

60/5×7-4 =

60/15 = 4

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by DataAlchemist: 11:24pm On Dec 11, 2023
Following bodmas, solve the equation inside bracket so you have :
60÷5(7-3) =
60÷5 × 4 ( bracket eliminated, so moving on onto other bodmas operations) =
12 × 4 ( division comes next after bracket and 'of' before multiplication) =

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by samsegs(m): 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2023
LoL...wahala for this kind question o..but d ans is 4,,,
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Wizyoung(m): 11:37pm On Dec 11, 2023
People's failure in solving this problem sterns from the fact that they do not fully understand order of operation (BODMAS). More significantly, they can't tell the difference between:

60 ÷ 5(3) { ...meaning divide 60 by the product of 5 and 3}

And...

60 ÷ 5 × 3 { ...meaning divide 60 by 5 then multiply your result by 3}

The former still has bracket that must be simplified before the "division" operation according to BODMAS while the latter must be started with division first according to the same BODMAS.

The valid answer to the posted problem is 4.

Go to court if you don't still agree grin

3 Likes

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Westerhoffe(m): 11:44pm On Dec 11, 2023
This is what I got on my calculator.

My calculator described the "36" as a "weak expression" and "4" as a "strong expression".

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by LowKeyManny: 11:56pm On Dec 11, 2023
Wizyoung:
People's failure in solving this problem sterns from the fact that they do not fully understand order of operation (BODMAS). More significantly, they can't tell the difference between:

And...

The former still has bracket that must be simplified before the "division" operation according to BODMAS while the latter must be started with division first according to the same BODMAS.

Not only that. The expression is wrong itself.

See the different answers supplied by calculator on the same equation but different expressions. Or the calculator doesn't know the order of operation?

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Wizyoung(m): 12:05am On Dec 12, 2023
LowKeyManny:

Not only that. The expression is wrong itself.

See the different answers supplied by calculator on the same equation but different expressions. Or the calculator doesn't know the order of operation?

Surprisingly, my calculator also displayed the same erroneous answer. According to the calculator, 60 ÷ 5(3) is the same as 60 ÷ 5 × 3.

That's like a bug in the computer's algorithm. I'm even surprised that a calculator would throw that up.

Check the poster above for his calculator result . See?

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by elvhinzey(m): 12:33am On Dec 12, 2023
To calculate the expression 60 ÷ 5(7-4), you need to follow the order of operations (PEMDAS/BODMAS: Parentheses/Brackets, Exponents/Orders, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction).

So, the expression becomes:

60 ÷ 5(7-4)
= 60 ÷ 5 * 3
= 12 * 3
= 36

Therefore, 60 ÷ 5(7-4) equals 36.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by LowKeyManny: 12:51am On Dec 12, 2023
Wizyoung:

Surprisingly, my calculator also displayed the same erroneous answer. According to the calculator, 60 ÷ 5(3) is the same as 60 ÷ 5 × 3.

That's like a bug in the computer's algorithm. I'm even surprised that a calculator would throw that up.

Check the poster above for his calculator result . See?

Is this a case for human intelligence trumping ai? Or was it human intelligence failure in programming that caused the bug?.. Fascinating how far down the rabbit hole such a simple equation has dragged so many people.

Wizyoung:

And...

This higighted the root of the problem tbf.
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Freebills12: 1:32am On Dec 12, 2023
[color=#000099][/color]b
jaeyking:
36 is the answer na

BODMAS

60 ÷ 5(7-4)

Bracket - (7 - 4) = (3)
Division - 60 ÷ 5 = 12
Multiplication - 12 (3)

Final answer 36

Wrong!
Bodmas
60/5(7-4)
=60/5x7- 5x4
= 60/35 - 20
=60/15
=4

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Freebills12: 1:41am On Dec 12, 2023
[color=#770077][/color]
jaeyking:
36 is the answer na

BODMAS

60 ÷ 5(7-4)

Bracket - (7 - 4) = (3)
Division - 60 ÷ 5 = 12
Multiplication - 12 (3)

Final answer 36

Your mistake is that you have not actually cleared the bracket. 60/5(7-4)
Clear the bracket 5(7 -4) = 5x7 - 5x4 = 35-20 = 15
60/15 = 4
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by sulakishop(m): 2:03am On Dec 12, 2023
Wetin concern me?

Bodmas no put food on my table

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Absuchat(m): 4:09am On Dec 12, 2023
immortalcrown:
God made man.

Man made Maths.

Maths made man mad.
Man didn't make maths....man discovered maths.

Have you ever heard of "God's writing"?

Don't you know that God Himself used/uses mathematics in creation?
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Itulah(m): 5:29am On Dec 12, 2023
Westerhoffe:
This is what I got on my calculator.

My calculator described the "36" as a "weak expression" and "4" as a "strong expression".

Your calculator is dumb or could be China made. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by eventainment(m): 5:53am On Dec 12, 2023
Absuchat:
4 is the god-damned Answer

BODMAS

5(7-4)=
(35-20)=
Therefore,
60/15=

Why are you multiplying into the bracket when they are common objects you deal with the bracket first and reduce it to a single number before using anything outside it to compute
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by jaeyking(m): 6:22am On Dec 12, 2023
Freebills12:
[color=#000099][/color]b

Wrong!
Bodmas
60/5(7-4)
=60/5x7- 5x4
= 60/35 - 20
=60/15
=4

Solve what is in the bracket first
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Soneh(m): 6:25am On Dec 12, 2023
cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by LONEWOLFJOHN: 7:18am On Dec 12, 2023
immortalcrown:
God made man.

Man made Maths.

Maths made man mad.
it's better said! Maths made Madman
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Nemesis0147(m): 7:31am On Dec 12, 2023
The only calculation working in our lives is Percentage 😂
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Incognito9: 7:40am On Dec 12, 2023
I don't know how you guys got 4; I solved it, and the final answer is 36. My calculator also confirms the final answer as 36. ChatGPT also arrived at 36.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by hapheeyxz: 7:41am On Dec 12, 2023
Wizyoung:

And...

U are wrong

U clear d bracket first

Most people dey shout BODMAS but don’t know how to apply it
Re: Nobody Has Been Able To Get It Right”: Viral Photo Of Mathematics Question Spark by Westerhoffe(m): 7:54am On Dec 12, 2023
Itulah:

Your calculator is dumb or could be China made. cheesy

Some of you just comment like a child at times.

My Calculator is even same as yours!
Or is that not a screenshot from HiPER Calc Pro?

Now let me show you where you'd find it.

Go to Settings - Expressions - change to "Strong".

I don't even think you know how to set the Themes. 😎

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Want An A In English WAEC Get In Here (no Cheating) / How Can I Reprint My Jamb Slip Without Going To The Cafe Please? / Nigerian Lady Teaching In China Receives Lovely Xmas Messages From Her Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.