Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,000 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

Should I Quit This Work. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Quit This Work. (13402 Views)

Should I Quit My 120k Teaching Job In A Private School For Government Teaching J / Should I Quit My Pastoral Job To Be A Transporter? / Should I Quit This Job And Return Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Quit This Work. by JasOnKruegEr(m): 3:06pm On Dec 15, 2023
Is this job worth it ? I am the manager of a betting shop and my monthly salary is 40,000.

I have been on the job for four years now and I'm thinking I'm not getting younger anymore . I joined the work with the aim of saving and sending myself to school I've tried for years now but it was unsuccessful.

I got promoted as a manager earlier this year, I felt it was the perfect opportunity for me to send myself to school as I will have the time and opportunity. To be able to go to school while also working.

The problem here is the cost of expenses . Transportation and food I spend a minimum of 1500 everyday and as a manager I have to go everyday Sunday to Saturday without off. If you calculate it I spend a minimum of 46000 which is more than my monthly salary for just food and transport. There are small perks like in terms of winning, people can give you a share inside but that doesn't happen always, sometimes I can go a week without getting 5 naira from anyone

. I haven't added other personal expenses to this, how much will remain that I am going to even save for school? Talk more of other shortages expected in the job.

What's the gain of stressing myself working from 8am to 9pm everyday only to spend more than my monthly salary on food and transport ?

I'm thinking of finding a better job but where is the work ?

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by 1TrippleCee: 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2023
That is God waking you up. Glad you finally woken up. There are better paying jobs thesedays with lesser work time. Strive to find jobs you can atleast 60,000 Naira per month.

If you are in Lagos, better. There are job agents you can follow their ads and drop applications with each opening they have. The enemy of growth in finances is the fear of leaving a low paying job

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by MajorOvakporaye(f): 3:42pm On Dec 15, 2023
You spent 4 years working in a place where the experience is not even relevant to a worthy career. How can you be comfortable with 40k for 4 years? Skills, you no learn.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Skyfornia(m): 3:42pm On Dec 15, 2023
What is your definition of finding a better job? First you need to discover yourself...you can't get a befitting job without first discovering yourself.

What are your skills? Companies will pay you more when you have skills, so I'd suggest you look for a job that you will acquire a skill while working. I would have suggested you go and learn a skill but that will put a lot of pressure on yourself cause you need money to eat and other small small things. So I will advise you to get a job in a place you can also acquire a skill even though the salary might not be much but it will help you in future.

For example, you can get a job in a laundry company as a novice and learn the act of ironing clothes professionally. Then with that skill, you can apply in another laundry company as a professional ironer/presser or you can start your own laundry business.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by spiSeyi: 3:42pm On Dec 15, 2023
Don't quit for now because job no dey and numerous folks are looking for a job to hold body thanks God for this small pay of yours.
My candid advice is to start looking for a side gig or side business and give yourself a target. Then you start living on whatever you get from your side gig as soon as you start generating income and you will start saving your salaries (or freeze your salary account for six months). You can quit as soon as you get at least 6 months of your monthly salary saved and your 1-year house rent paid.
This is how to secure a living before quitting a job wink

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Kingpele(m): 3:43pm On Dec 15, 2023
Dey play
Re: Should I Quit This Work. by israelmao(m): 3:43pm On Dec 15, 2023
There's no cause for guessing in spending more than your monthly earnings in one Betting shop,it's either you secure an accommodation closer by to reduce your expenses or you check out and find somewhere else where your set goals can be achieved.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by FictioneerHQ: 3:43pm On Dec 15, 2023
Just make your move first!
Re: Should I Quit This Work. by jiz: 3:44pm On Dec 15, 2023
Keep the job until you get better offer than the one you have currently. Acquire tech related skills to increase your chances in job market. Iree ooo

7 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Woodshot: 3:44pm On Dec 15, 2023
Change is the only thing constant and life's a struggle. If you feel you need a change then bro you need a change. If you feel it's time to move on then it's time to move on.
Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Basildvalour(m): 3:44pm On Dec 15, 2023
QUIT when you have found something else to do.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by UHLmoving: 3:45pm On Dec 15, 2023
40,000 is too lean and can't sustain you in this present economy.

Tell your employer to add one more zero, or you quit.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by ekanx27(m): 3:45pm On Dec 15, 2023
Take the bull by the horn and start staking from the money in the account. You will hit a jack pot one day and this complain will be a thing of the past but first make sure you have made up your mind to sleep in cell for at least 72 times before the jack pot will come, if it will come at all.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by richard870(m): 3:45pm On Dec 15, 2023
Times are hard now. I will suggest learning some in-demand skills while also searching for jobs with decent pay not too far from your place of residence.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by nairaland2: 3:45pm On Dec 15, 2023
I'd be direct, brief, and to the point with you.

1. Stop complaining; it's not easy with anyone out here.

2. Do not resign from your work just yet.

3. I would have advised you to go on Telegram and search for a channel called IAJ FINANCE and join their crash mining program; what they provide generates profit, but it is gradual and requires time and patience. You don't have much time left in a day though.

My advise to you is,

The economy is getting worse every day, so:

1. Cut your expenses.

2. Relocate to a cheaper apartment close to your workplace.

3. Apply for other jobs with any free time you have.

4. Join the IAJ FINANCE membership and learn to trade in your free time (side income).

5. Budget and save.

Make the best of your 2024.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by GoldenJAT(m): 3:45pm On Dec 15, 2023
And then you will fall back on what?
Resigning isn't the issue! You have a job and yet it isn't easy, how much more when you do not have one.
Know wetin you de do o!

6 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by akpumping7720(m): 3:46pm On Dec 15, 2023
Look for another job that you can work from Mondays to Fridays. Then enrol for part time studies. So you can work while studying.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Tokskob2008: 3:46pm On Dec 15, 2023
All I can say is some jobs are just not worth it...

1 Like

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Oblongata: 3:46pm On Dec 15, 2023
Op this woud be your friend....

4 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by bestman09(m): 3:47pm On Dec 15, 2023
Hope you have not been using part of your salary for betting grin grin as the temptation may be much

9 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Emma1Oj(m): 3:47pm On Dec 15, 2023
Some "Manager" are earning 250k and above. Some cleaners and securities Are earning 50k and above.

This life no balance at all..
Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Orubebe01: 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2023
With what you re going through here, it's better that you quit this job. How can you work from Mon to Sunday and the expenses you incur as a result of going to the same work is higher that the salary. That's ludicrous.

Just quit the job and it wil give you an opportunity to look for another one. Make sure you look for a job that you can't spend so much on transportation.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by bassdow: 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2023
Some business types have very low cost of entry.

If you have worked in a betting shop for about 4-years, and are good enough to even be promted, you should be able to know if its a business type you could run yourself and IF Yes, open yours and run it on the side till you're confident enough to resign and focus on it.

You see that school you wan go eh, plenty of us don go there, and one thing about University, not until you've attended one, you would continue having the mindset it's the cause of your misfortune.

I am not saying education is bad, but person suppose get other skill, if you can't develope such now, when do you hope to do so.

Also why pick a job that requires the entire 7-days of a week, when you could have gone for something else that gives ample time to at least attend a partTime school.

Now you're asking us if you should resign. The question gan sef sounds like content wey dem dey take generate traffic.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by bassdow: 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2023
JasOnKruegEr:
Is this job worth it ? I am the manager of a betting shop and my monthly salary is 40,000.

I have been on the job for four years now and I'm thinking I'm not getting younger anymore . I joined the work with the aim of saving and sending myself to school I've tried for years now but it was unsuccessful.

I got promoted as a manager earlier this year, I felt it was the perfect opportunity for me to send myself to school as I will have the time and opportunity. To be able to go to school while also working.

The problem here is the cost of expenses . Transportation and food I spend a minimum of 1500 everyday and as a manager I have to go everyday Sunday to Saturday without off. If you calculate it I spend a minimum of 46000 which is more than my monthly salary for just food and transport. There are small perks like in terms of winning, people can give you a share inside but that doesn't happen always, sometimes I can go a week without getting 5 naira from anyone

. I haven't added other personal expenses to this, how much will remain that I am going to even save for school? Talk more of other shortages expected in the job.

What's the gain of stressing myself working from 8am to 9pm everyday only to spend more than my monthly salary on food and transport ?

You're somewhat at fault here.

When you want to save very well,

1. why go home daily when you could make arrangement to sleep at work, and only go home once in a while >

2. Why buy food outside daily when you could cook, even if na concotion, then eat outside once in a while ?

5 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by iCauseTrouble: 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2023
Look for a better job before you quit

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by oluwaseyi0: 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2023
ii
Re: Should I Quit This Work. by CelestineNelson: 3:48pm On Dec 15, 2023
I am afraid, if you continue like this you will retire without a pension, properties to fall back on, or investments ...you can even be educated. Pls prepare yourself, look for another job, while still on that one, to move on. DON'T MOVE WITHOUT ASSURANCE OF THE NEXT JOB. MOVE FROM JOB TO JOB, it will reduce the number of beggars in the street pls

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Godspeed0: 3:49pm On Dec 15, 2023
JasOnKruegEr:

i think i have experience in this matter first what betting company are you working for
Re: Should I Quit This Work. by bassdow: 3:49pm On Dec 15, 2023
Emma1Oj:
Some "Manager" are earning 250k and above. Some cleaners and securities Are earning 50k and above.

This life no balance at all..

How much are those Managers bringing in, compared to OP's ?
Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Advertisershubs(f): 3:49pm On Dec 15, 2023
JasOnKruegEr:

Try To Work on Your Savings for Atleast 2 months before Quitting Your Job if you want to.

Try to relate with your boss for salary increment. Let him Understand your plight. If he isn't selfish, he will add more to your salary so far your betting shop sells well.

Meanwhile, I wished you had Saturdays and Sundays Off, you can Use that Opportunity to work remotely online to earn a few dollars into your account as An Affiliate To Businesses Needing Web Traffic.

All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Theben(m): 3:49pm On Dec 15, 2023
ekanx27:
Take the bull by the horn and start staking from the money in the account. You will hit a jack pot one day and this complain will be a thing of the past but first make sure you have made up your mind to sleep in cell for at least 72 times before the jack pot will come, if it will come at all.
You might think you're catching cruise with this your comment, unfortunately some luves would be destroyed by this.
Re: Should I Quit This Work. by Nemesis0147(m): 3:50pm On Dec 15, 2023
Ur shop no du bring money
I have a friend that manages two betnaija shop here in Abj and he dy roof his house like this….married early this year.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed / KPMG Multiple Graduate Trainees 2018 Job Recruitment / Massive Academic And Few Non-academic Recruitment At FUOYE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.