Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,847 members, 7,817,508 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... (34103 Views)

See The Nsala (White) Soup That Will Make You Keep Asking For More (Photos,Video / How To Make Ofe Nsala (white Soup) / How To Make Ofe Nsala (White Soup) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by NaMe4: 6:05pm On Dec 22, 2023
Lovely soup
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Dragonsword: 6:06pm On Dec 22, 2023
BitterTruth0001:

Why don’t you make a thread about ewedu and oil ?
Also remember to show the broom you use in pounding gbegiri .
Ezi ohia

Alaye nwayookwa!
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Blazebond(m): 6:11pm On Dec 22, 2023
This soup dey sweet o,I also like OHA soup very much,very sweet soup.

2 Likes

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by placeofallure(f): 6:43pm On Dec 22, 2023
mariahAngel:
Your boy might've responded due to some of the (aromatic) spices used in making the soup.
Spices are natural stimulant that promote blood flow, and are medicinal as well.

That soup, as simple as it is, is one the most nutritious and healthiest there is.

Hmm! Never tasted it. I doubt if I ever will.

The thing is no matter how high-to-the-heavens they sing the praise of any food, once I'm not used to it, I'm hardly moved. I'm not experimental about food, not a foodie at all. If you know many of the things I don't eat, you will wonder if I'm human. I don't eat snails, never tasted it. I don't eat chicken or turkey, I don't eat orisirisi meat, just beef and fish, I'd prefer yam and oil over pounded yam anyday, I'd take a bottle of Coke over Maltina anyday. My mum thinks I'm weird but who cares.

1 Like

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Chizy12345: 6:47pm On Dec 22, 2023
tomorrow you say Nigeria hard
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by CaptainFM1: 7:32pm On Dec 22, 2023
What's inside?

Washed frontage
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by dvkot(m): 7:54pm On Dec 22, 2023
mariahAngel:

No, it's not.
It's an immune booster due to the spices used in making it.
Plus, it requires no oil.

If you're convalescing, it's the perfect soup for you.
what she said is being one of the most nutritious and that is not true, also how is having no red oil a plus?
Nsala is just more or less of a pepper soup.
I actually don't have any thing against Nsala soup I just think it's misleading to say it's the most nutritious soup.

1 Like

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by mariahAngel(f): 8:12pm On Dec 22, 2023
dvkot:
what she said is being one of the most nutritious and that is not true, also how is having no red oil a plus?

Nsala is just more or less of a pepper soup.
I actually don't have any thing against Nsala soup I just think it's misleading to say it's the most nutritious soup.

I still stand by what I stated.

No, it is not. @bolded.
If you knew even a bit about nutrition, you wouldn't state such.

Do you not know that peppersoup is also very nutritious? Very nutritious.
What with the broth, herb, and spices.

1 Like

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by mariahAngel(f): 8:14pm On Dec 22, 2023
placeofallure:

Hmm! Never tasted it. I doubt if I ever will.

The thing is no matter how high-to-the-heavens they sing the praise of any food, once I'm not used to it, I'm hardly moved. I'm not experimental about food, not a foodie at all. If you know many of the things I don't eat, you will wonder if I'm human. I don't eat snails, never tasted it. I don't eat chicken or turkey, I don't eat orisirisi meat, just beef and fish, I'd prefer yam and oil over pounded yam anyday, I'd take a bottle of Coke over Maltina anyday. My mum thinks I'm weird but who cares.

Na wa O!

How do those around you cope? cheesy
How do you balance things?

1 Like

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by placeofallure(f): 8:19pm On Dec 22, 2023
mariahAngel:

Na wa O!

How do those around you cope? cheesy
How do you balance things?

I pity my husband a lot. I offer to make things for him but he declines most times, he doesn't want to stress me.

2 Likes

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by mariahAngel(f): 8:21pm On Dec 22, 2023
placeofallure:

I pity my husband a lot. I offer to make things for him but he declines most times, he doesn't want to stress me.

Awwwwwwwn😍

You can surprise him from time to time sha.
I'm sure he'd really appreciate it.

1 Like

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by placeofallure(f): 8:26pm On Dec 22, 2023
mariahAngel:

Awwwwwwwn😍

You can surprise him from time to time sha.
I'm sure he'd really appreciate it.

Thanks, I will.

2 Likes

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by dvkot(m): 9:06pm On Dec 22, 2023
mariahAngel:

I still stand by what I stated.

No, it is not. @bolded.
If you knew even a bit about nutrition, you wouldn't state such.

Do you not know that peppersoup is also very nutritious? Very nutritious.
What with the broth, herb, and spices.
even piss can be nutritious if meat is boiled in it.
Remove the meat from Nsala soup and tell me if it's more nutritious than egusi soup or even okro soup? not to even talk heavy weight like Afang soup and edikikong

1 Like

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:28pm On Dec 22, 2023
dvkot:
nsala is one of the most nutritious soup in where? Nsala on it's own is the most basic soup the savings grace is the meat In it. Egusi is way healthier than it.. talk more of afang

That's because you don't know the ingredients.
Ask the next Igbo person
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Niok: 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2023
Not my favorite tho
A well made ofe onugbu is unbeatable

1 Like

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Ajalalomo: 10:37pm On Dec 22, 2023
It looks good, but I will not eat a food like this unless it’s homemade. Nothing like homemade food.
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Probz(m): 11:09pm On Dec 22, 2023
bammo:

What's wrong with you angry

Some kitchen secrets are best kept that way (you guys). Like it, don’t like it. There are some things you don’t tell without hesitance. And it’s not that a great chef doesn’t reveal at all (whatever they choose) but nsala has a certain significance that non-Igbo people might not understand as readily so whatever ingredients go into making it beyond what’s commonly known aren’t something people are going to shout about just for the sake of popularising the recipe even more.

I didn’t mean any of that in a mean, tribalistic way. I was literally just saying. An Ibadan woman (or man) can probably learn how to cook Anambra onugbu-egusi if they’re really sat down and taught but it’s challenging in any case because there’s a certain lock on it that it’s just preferred people with the direct heritage unlock and preserve like that until such a time that it might as well be more popular knowledge, and onugbu-anything (besides a sprinkling of it in, like, ukwa or okro/ogbono soup) is far from the easiest thing to cook. As you can appreciate, it’s quite hard. So tough that most people under the age of 45 don’t even bother with it. It’s super-hard that even a lot of people with Anambra blood who perform the sweetest (and ironically bitter-sweetest when it’s time for it) miracles in the kitchen otherwise won’t even go there. Hilda Baci and her mum probably can’t cook onugbu, either, and they’re amazing at everything they do cook.

Likewise, I wouldn’t argue with a half-Agoyin Togolese, half Yoruba-Togolese person about wanting to keep a certain lock on the baddest ewa-agoyin or Ibibio and afang soup because it’s their thing and was solely theirs before other people started knowing about, liking and eating it. And that goes for the owners of bubble-and-squeak as well. There are certain hacks that Cockney grandmas knew that generally aren’t super well-known to people outside that space, and that’s part of the magic of it. Hausa mallams and suya, likewise. Creole-dem and jambalaya/gumbo, ditto. Ndu-Ijebu and ikokore, Enugu-interior and okpa, Thais and their signature Thai green curry and so-on. People from a particular region of France and quintessential foie-gras. Italians and just-about anything to do with pasta and lasagne. I could go on forever. The point is there’s a general recipe that anyone can follow and get good results from so long as they’re capable of being versatile in the kitchen and following instructions, sure, and that one and all the personal variations (which are important, because cooking reflects individuality and it even should, sha; jollof rice is a prime example of that) can spread to more and more people but the people who really have it on original O.G.-lock have their niche ways coupled with their individual ones and preservation of that is likewise important. Equally-so.

It doesn’t really have to become this big tribal war and that’s not really what I was implying or getting at in the first place. You people just chose to read extra meaning into whar I said. So don’t think I’m tribalistic or anti-Yoruba because that ain’t it. It really ain’t and that’s just, like, not who I am. I’ll always defend fellow Igbos and requisite preservation when it comes to all sorts but that doesn’t mean I’m trying to stick the knife into everyone else. Not even a little bit. I’m probably the last person in the world who’d do that on a malicious note. Consciously or subconsciously.
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Probz(m): 11:15pm On Dec 22, 2023
Niok:
Not my favorite tho
A well made ofe onugbu is unbeatable

I mean. Ofe-nsala isn’t my favourite, either (I’d rather just have Point-and-Kill or any other normal pepper soup). But I see the value in it and why a lot of people love it so much. It’s not a soup I per-se particularly like but its quality can’t be denied. Beyond that it’s just personal preference.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by jojothaiv(m): 11:37pm On Dec 22, 2023
Jewessgratitud3:
Hmmm... Learnt something. That's the only soup I'll be making for oga when I marry.

Nsala soup, Noted. grin
If the oga no come like am nko
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Jewessgratitud3: 12:27am On Dec 23, 2023
jojothaiv:

If the oga no come like am nko

He go like am o cheesy.
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by bammo: 5:22am On Dec 23, 2023
Probz:

Some kitchen secrets are best kept that way (you guys). Like it, don’t like it. There are some things you don’t tell without hesitance. And it’s not that a great chef doesn’t reveal at all (whatever they choose) but nsala has a certain significance that non-Igbo people might not understand as readily so whatever ingredients go into making it beyond what’s commonly known aren’t something people are going to shout about just for the sake of popularising the recipe even more.

I didn’t mean any of that in a mean, tribalistic way. I was literally just saying. An Ibadan woman (or man) can probably learn how to cook Anambra onugbu-egusi if they’re really sat down and taught but it’s challenging in any case because there’s a certain lock on it that it’s just preferred people with the direct heritage unlock and preserve like that until such a time that it might as well be more popular knowledge, and onugbu-anything (besides a sprinkling of it in, like, ukwa or okro/ogbono soup) is far from the easiest thing to cook. As you can appreciate, it’s quite hard. So tough that most people under the age of 45 don’t even bother with it. It’s super-hard that even a lot of people with Anambra blood who perform the sweetest (and ironically bitter-sweetest when it’s time for it) miracles in the kitchen otherwise won’t even go there. Hilda Baci and her mum probably can’t cook onugbu, either, and they’re amazing at everything they do cook.

Likewise, I wouldn’t argue with a half-Agoyin Togolese, half Yoruba-Togolese person about wanting to keep a certain lock on the baddest ewa-agoyin or Ibibio and afang soup because it’s their thing and was solely theirs before other people started knowing about, liking and eating it. And that goes for the owners of bubble-and-squeak as well. There are certain hacks that Cockney grandmas knew that generally aren’t super well-known to people outside that space, and that’s part of the magic of it. Hausa mallams and suya, likewise. Creole-dem and jambalaya/gumbo, ditto. Ndu-Ijebu and ikokore, Enugu-interior and okpa, Thais and their signature Thai green curry and so-on. People from a particular region of France and quintessential foie-gras. Italians and just-about anything to do with pasta and lasagne. I could go on forever. The point is there’s a general recipe that anyone can follow and get good results from so long as they’re capable of being versatile in the kitchen and following instructions, sure, and that one and all the personal variations (which are important, because cooking reflects individuality and it even should, sha; jollof rice is a prime example of that) can spread to more and more people but the people who really have it on original O.G.-lock have their niche ways coupled with their individual ones and preservation of that is likewise important. Equally-so.

It doesn’t really have to become this big tribal war and that’s not really what I was implying or getting at in the first place. You people just chose to read extra meaning into whar I said. So don’t think I’m tribalistic or anti-Yoruba because that ain’t it. It really ain’t and that’s just, like, not who I am. I’ll always defend fellow Igbos and requisite preservation when it comes to all sorts but that doesn’t mean I’m trying to stick the knife into everyone else. Not even a little bit. I’m probably the last person in the world who’d do that on a malicious note. Consciously or subconsciously.
You are one among hundreds of tribalists littering this forum. No one attacked or disrespected any tribe. On the contrary, they were being appreciative of something good but you had to remind us that we can't be humans in this country.
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by dvkot(m): 6:13am On Dec 23, 2023
InyinyaAgbaOku:

That's because you don't know the ingredients.
Ask the next Igbo person
madam im an igbo person and I do cook Nsala... infact Nsala can be made with only uziza seed and uziza leaf.. u don't even need to add uda.
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by BluntCrazeMan: 6:20am On Dec 23, 2023
lovediehatelive:

Interesting.

Isn't it the same ingredients they use for other soups?

Or is there a specific ingredient for making "Ofe Nsala?

This is what they want IPOB people to be enjoying on Election Days
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Prosperity4All: 7:07am On Dec 23, 2023
tobenuel:
pls Ofe Nsala is Ofe Nsala not white soup, people should not rename it. Afang soup is Afang soup, I dont think it has any other name. Ewedu is Ewedu also
Supported
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Prosperity4All: 7:19am On Dec 23, 2023
dvkot:
madam im an igbo person and I do cook Nsala... infact Nsala can be made with only uziza seed and uziza leaf.. u don't even need to add uda.
Then you end up making pepper soup and serving to people as Ofe nsala
You can only learn by humbly asking, not pretending to even be the expert in the room. It's because of people like you that Probz made the statement he did in his first comment on this thread.
Nsala soup isn't different because of the meat like you have been saying. Because other Igbo soups use the same meat. InyiyaAgbaOku was right about you not knowing the ingredients nor how to cook it grin
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by badboyTee(m): 8:58am On Dec 23, 2023
Probz:

That would be telling. And I’m not going to, not this time: When it comes to stuff like this you’ve just got to put your faith in the people who cook it. Authentic nsala soup is not for the next Yoruba person to copy, try-as they might. Anyone who learns, wherever they’re from, can make a nice nsala soup (even if it’s just with chicken and not a catfish in sight) but there are certain hacks and niche ingredients that only Oguta/Aguleri-dem go-know about. But as far as general guidance goes it definitely never hurts to add okpei (dawadawa/iru-equivalent). Start with that if you’re not already adding it.

Maybe the Oguta, Awka and Asaba hacks will be spilled in time. You’re just going to have to watch that space.
fool,,,,seun tribalist spotted
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Marynwachukwu21(f): 9:15am On Dec 23, 2023
I really dont know whats special about this soup that made people to love it so much than other soups,i have a friend whenever he wants to eat he always mention ofe nsala and cant do without it.
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Exceed15: 9:42am On Dec 23, 2023
I can't eat this... Never!
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by DrFunmisticGlow: 10:32am On Dec 23, 2023
lovediehatelive:
Please help o...

Mama Nkechi wee not kee me o.

So yesterday I said let me try something different from her and I bought Ofe Nsala, which was a bit overpriced compared to others.

See as meat full inside!

As I began eating, it was so sweet that I couldn't wait for the next!

Finished it sharparly that I was tempted to go back to Mama Nkechi and ask for more, but I just hold myself.

Now, that isn't all o. I noticed my my waist began acting funny and dancing makosa!

My boy was jumping up and down for joy, and was rock hard, as if I should just...

It was a torture all through the night, and early morning when I woke up, my boy was still hard, standing tall, and I believe he didn't sleep, dancing makosa all through the night, thinking I'll arrange one or two for za oza room enjoyment.

The funny thing is that for some days now, my boy has been kinda sad and gloomy, and doesn't wake up so hard early morning like this.

Please o, what's the secret of this Ofe Nsala which they call white soup.

Google Images
is this not glorified peppersoup thickened with cocoyam
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by bigcasava1(m): 11:02am On Dec 23, 2023
Sperm
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Gangster1ms: 11:08am On Dec 23, 2023
ottersberger:
I'm told it's a Yoruba delicacy. Was I lied to?.
Them don start undecided
Re: What's Inside Ofe-nsala? Please Help O! Too Sweet, And... by Gangster1ms: 11:11am On Dec 23, 2023
CSTRR:
Soup wey una suppose leave for east dey enjoy am codedly as a native soup, igbos carry am go every nook and cranny, dey commonize am.
Now dem don use style dey call am white soup.. later dem go talk say no be igbo get the soup, just the way they took over egusi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Easter Peppered Chicken Recipe. / How I And Friends Celebrated World Food Day! / “yorubas Cook Jollof Rice Better Than Igbos” - Nigerian Man Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.