Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,760 members, 7,813,514 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:19 PM

How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family (8313 Views)

The Husband Is The Head Of The Family? / How Your Birth Position In The Family Can Influence Your Personality / Slaying In Chaos! Mom Dresses Up In Lingerie With Her 4 Demanding Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Scholace: 11:13am On Dec 17, 2023
AbuTwins:

You may sell if there is no other option!
If possible you may get developers to develop and rent it out for some years but that'll take time.And it may not meet the present need.
Although he has shown interest in selling the house, but he felt getting a buyer might be difficult considering the location and the economy
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Gerrard59(m): 11:27am On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
Good day all

My dad is from a nuclear family of eight. Seven boys and a girl.

Number one mistake: coming from a family with many siblings. I forgive them as na the previous generation.

Their parents are late. My dad owned 8 rooms apartment in his village. He singlehandedly bought the land and raised the building. We reside in Lagos in a rented apartment. Obviously that was the only building owned by my dad. We hardly visit the village, but I've been there twice, likewise my other siblings. My mum and dad are the only ones that frequent there back then, and they're well known. My dad and the sixth child of their parents are the only ones that owned a house. The rest of them live in a rented apartment and had no house to their namew.

Number two mistake: building a house where you don't live, work or do business. Worse is building it in the village rather than the state capital. Which means the value is zero. The nonsensical claim that real estate does not depreciate is nonsensical, as I stated. Real estate depreciates, let alone in Nigeria with an archaic land use act, low level of development and weak enforcement of laws, which make people resort to diabolic means.

The house at the village wasn't occupied by anyone nor let out. Recently, one of the family members from their mother side at the village suggested to allow someone occupied the house. He brought in some people who i learnt were church people. Someone gave my dad info that they want to sell the house. My dad was surprised. We later got info that my dad elder brother claimed he owned the house.

E don happen! Egungun would soon cross the express!

My dad called his elder brother immediately he got the info to confirm what he heard. The so called brother asserted, and he was ruthlessly lashed by my dad. He was surprised by my dad's reaction. Two of my dad other siblings came around to apologise on behalf of their eldest brother outburst. I was around then, i overheard one of them saying it's a family's house. I was like, why are they fighting their eldest brother then?He claimed he owned the house while some claimed it's a family's house.

Does your father have the document to prove it is his rightfully owned land and, thus, his property?

Apparently, my dad discussed this with two of his friends and they both advised he sell off the house and get a piece of land in Lagos or Ogun State and put up a small building on it. They told him if he didn't sell it, the family will take over the house when he kick the bucket, and his children and wife will be thoroughly dealt with if they attempt to be in loggerhead with them. He called one of his friend that reside at Ibadan, he said the same thing as suggested by his two other friends. He also added, if he can get a developer to take over the building because only 4 rooms had been roofed. By doing that, the developer will complete the building and write a will when to recoup their resources and the building taken back from them by we the children

His friends are right. Should your dad die today, his elder brother in cahoots with other siblings, would seize that property and deal with you people, legally or as envisaged, diabolically.

The tale about selling the building is dependent on where the property is located. What is the name of the state? No point mentioning the village or local government. How sure is he able to sell the property in the village to find and fund the purchase of land in Lagos or Ogun to build a house? How fast a property is sold at MARKET VALUE is dependent on location. Because the more you people wait, the higher the chances the property would cause bitter rancour in the family. And let me state it explicitly: the moment those people, especially those church people, move in, that is the end. The house is gone!

My mum suggested he sell it and start up a business, considering the fact that things aren't going well financially with him. My immediate younger brother may likely drop out of school due to finances.

Another question: how many are you people in the family as children? Age range? What level in school is your brother? Is he the last child? Abi another dey behind am? Starting a business is not really the issue, but what kind of business. Please note that for the business to thrive, it should run without its revenue (there would be no profit in its nascent stages) touched for the next two years for non-business purposes.

Don't believe anyone who tells you that if you invest N2 million, you will begin generating 20K every day. Revenue is different from profit o.

According to my dad he has really helped his siblings when things were going well for him. He financed his elder brother's wedding, sent his two siblings to school, put some in trade as mechanic and electrician. Sponsored two of his younger siblings wedding ceremony. He linked one of his younger brother's to my mum's brother who happened to be a staff at Mobil. By the grace of God, he got a job at Mobil. That my mum brother is late, he died 2016.

Such is life. That is why people should not born plenty of children left, right and centre. I don talk am tire. If your dad had focused on his financial well-being by building a house far away from the prying eyes of the village, all this for no happen.

Please what steps would you suggest my dad take inorder not to lose his property to his siblings.

Sell the property, the earlier, the better.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by WantsandMore: 11:33am On Dec 17, 2023
Who owns the land? Your Dad or your grandfather?
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Scholace: 11:36am On Dec 17, 2023
WantsandMore:
my dad. He bought the land
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Zupay: 11:38am On Dec 17, 2023
WantsandMore:

From the narration, it is not family land as the father bought the land.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by WantsandMore: 11:40am On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
my dad. He bought the land
No case,I'll recommend you raise the matter to the council of elders in the village for arbitration.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Popeonah(m): 11:48am On Dec 17, 2023
First find the exactly cause of the problem, definitely you will be guided.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Berankis: 11:56am On Dec 17, 2023
GboyegaD:
One thing I don't understand till tomorrow is why people struggle to build homes they are not going to live in or rent out immediately if it is an investment property.

He should thread with caution. And thus should serve as a lesson to all those rising to build homes in their villages they don't live in.
It seems you have not started renting apartments, you should know the pressure to pay rent most especially if you don channel your funds elsewhere. Building a house is an investment and security. Cost of building keeps rising. I took a little break from my own project for other things only to come back to very high cost of materials, now I wish I completed it at once, cos I had the money then but now a lot of it was wasted/lost to uncharted courses.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:00pm On Dec 17, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
Not a tribalist but this same issue keep happening in the east over and over again with no end in sight, happened to a close friend of mine

At the end of the day they are advised to abandon/sell south east property and build in South West

Idiot, he said it's in Osun state, in your yorubaland, not in the southeast you so much hate.

We have mansions in our villages and no one is dragging them with us, because everyone has or is planning to build his.

3 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by ChybuzzDD(m): 12:05pm On Dec 17, 2023
GboyegaD:
One thing I don't understand till tomorrow is why people struggle to build homes they are not going to live in or rent out immediately if it is an investment property.

He should thread with caution. And thus should serve as a lesson to all those rising to build homes in their villages they don't live in.

Relax, if you don't have enough money to build in your village, allow those who can.

Village houses serve symbolic roles, and as Igbos, we don't play with it.

My first duplex was in the village and I'm not regretting it, neither are you more financially intelligent than i am.

Everything mustn't be for profit.

4 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by femi4: 12:10pm On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
Good day all

My dad is from a nuclear family of eight. Seven boys and a girl. Their parents are late. My dad owned 8 rooms apartment in his village. He singlehandedly bought the land and raised the building. We reside in Lagos in a rented apartment. Obviously that was the only building owned by my dad. We hardly visit the village, but I've been there twice, likewise my other siblings. My mum and dad are the only ones that frequent there back then, and they're well known. My dad and the sixth child of their parents are the only ones that owned a house. The rest of them live in a rented apartment and had no house to their namew.

The house at the village wasn't occupied by anyone nor let out. Recently, one of the family members from their mother side at the village suggested to allow someone occupied the house. He brought in some people who i learnt were church people. Someone gave my dad info that they want to sell the house. My dad was surprised. We later got info that my dad elder brother claimed he owned the house.

My dad called his elder brother immediately he got the info to confirm what he heard. The so called brother asserted, and he was ruthlessly lashed by my dad. He was surprised by my dad's reaction. Two of my dad other siblings came around to apologise on behalf of their eldest brother outburst. I was around then, i overheard one of them saying it's a family's house. I was like, why are they fighting their eldest brother then?He claimed he owned the house while some claimed it's a family's house.

Apparently, my dad discussed this with two of his friends and they both advised he sell off the house and get a piece of land in Lagos or Ogun State and put up a small building on it. They told him if he didn't sell it, the family will take over the house when he kick the bucket, and his children and wife will be thoroughly dealt with if they attempt to be in loggerhead with them. He called one of his friend that reside at Ibadan, he said the same thing as suggested by his two other friends. He also added, if he can get a developer to take over the building because only 4 rooms had been roofed. By doing that, the developer will complete the building and write a will when to recoup their resources and the building taken back from them by we the children.

My mum suggested he sell it and start up a business, considering the fact that things aren't going well financially with him. My immediate younger brother may likely drop out of school due to finances. According to my dad he has really helped his siblings when things were going well for him. He financed his elder brother's wedding, sent his two siblings to school, put some in trade as mechanic and electrician. Sponsored two of his younger siblings wedding ceremony. He linked one of his younger brother's to my mum's brother who happened to be a staff at Mobil. By the grace of God, he got a job at Mobil. That my mum brother is late, he died 2016. After all the favour my dad has rendered to his siblings, the best way they could say thank you was to inherit his only house. None of them has ever given even our last born #100. I graduated from school and still in search of job, none of them had shown interest. Glory be to God, we've never had the course to call them that we're hungry. I wasn't surprised regarding the recent development from my dad's siblings. I was envisaging taking it to a radio station, but i got to realised I'd have to spend some money towards that. I was discussing with my brother and he suggested i put it up for wider view

Please what steps would you suggest my dad take inorder not to lose his property to his siblings.

Thank you.
Work hard n make money. Never depend on your Dad's or families properties. Pursue peace with all men cos at the end of the day, you ll all leave these stuff behind.

2. Nobody owe you anything, work hard and make the best out of your life

1 Like

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by GboyegaD(m): 12:19pm On Dec 17, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

Relax, if you don't have enough money to build in your village, allow those who can.

Village houses serve symbolic roles, and as Igbos, we don't play with it.

My first duplex was in the village and I'm not regretting it, neither are you more financially intelligent than i am.

Everything mustn't be for profit.

Your business where you choose to build your house, nonetheless, my opinion remains. I never said people shouldn't and only aired my opinion.

For the bolded, all na the usual noise.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by GboyegaD(m): 12:24pm On Dec 17, 2023
Berankis:

It seems you have not started renting apartments, you should know the pressure to pay rent most especially if you don channel your funds elsewhere. Building a house is an investment and security. Cost of building keeps rising. I took a little break from my own project for other things only to come back to very high cost of materials, now I wish I completed it at once, cos I had the money then but now a lot of it was wasted/lost to uncharted courses.

It's not about if I rent an apartment or not. All I'm saying is if you live and work in the city for example, build your house in the city and enjoy that phase. When you want to retire to your village, you can sell your city house and use it to buy/build a house in the village.

It makes no sense building in the village, leaving it empty for 350 days in a year and be paying rent living in the city.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Scholace: 12:32pm On Dec 17, 2023
femi4:
Work hard n make money. Never depend on your Dad's or families properties. Pursue peace with all men cos at the end of the day, you ll all leave these stuff behind.

2. Nobody owe you anything, work hard and make the best out of your life
I don't understand your point please? We should encourage our dad to let go and allow his family take over his house?
Did i tell you in my post that i was lazying around banking on my father's house?
Do you prefer his siblings inherit him when he has children?
Nobody owe you anything including your biological father if he has the means?

Work hard, is there an average Nigerians that works lazy/soft?

Maybe you should tell us what we don't know then
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by anu3: 12:41pm On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
According to him, it should worth 5 million

Yes, he has the documents

Osun state, few miles away from Ibadan

Oh, that must be in ikire...
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Scholace: 12:45pm On Dec 17, 2023
anu3:

Oh, that must be in ikire...
Do you know there?
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by nedekid: 12:51pm On Dec 17, 2023
Op, for the older sibling to claim ownership and try to sell the land, for the other sibling to call it family house. It raises questions. Are you sure you have the whole story about the house? Because if your dad built on eg family land, kleg might be there. You say your dad "bought" the land and built. Have you confirmed that from other sources eg your uncle?
Well, the advice given by his friends to sell the place outrightly is the best route to take. Sell and take the money away. Avoid pending wahala.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by anu3: 12:51pm On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
Do you know there?

I served there... Atoto side
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by REALretep(m): 12:51pm On Dec 17, 2023
abobote:
They can settle it without selling the house. Selling a house in the village is a no no for me.
Moreover house doesn't have much selling value in the village.

Your Dad should invite the kinsmen to settle the matter and draw a line
Scholace
This advice above is very similar to mine.
Your dad could call a village meeting comprising his siblings, other selected kinsmen and other influential village people to make it clear to all and sundry that the land and property are privately owned by him and not otherwise.
Selling the land and property should be a last resort though
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by JustcallmeFavou(f): 1:08pm On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
Good day all

My dad is from a nuclear family of eight. Seven boys and a girl. Their parents are late. My dad owned 8 rooms apartment in his village. He singlehandedly bought the land and raised the building. We reside in Lagos in a rented apartment. Obviously that was the only building owned by my dad. We hardly visit the village, but I've been there twice, likewise my other siblings. My mum and dad are the only ones that frequent there back then, and they're well known. My dad and the sixth child of their parents are the only ones that owned a house. The rest of them live in a rented apartment and had no house to their namew.

Apparently, my dad discussed this with two of his friends and they both advised he sell off the house and get a piece of land in Lagos or Ogun State and put up a small building on it. They told him if he didn't sell it, the family will take over the house when he kick the bucket, and his children and wife will be thoroughly dealt with if they attempt to be in loggerhead with them. He called one of his friend that reside at Ibadan, he said the same thing as suggested by his two other friends. He also added, if he can get a developer to take over the building because only 4 rooms had been roofed. By doing that, the developer will complete the building and write a will when to recoup their resources and the building taken back from them by we the children.

My mum suggested he sell it and start up a business, considering the fact that things aren't going well financially with him. My immediate younger brother may likely drop out of school due to finances. According to my dad he has really helped his siblings when things were going well for him. He financed his elder brother's wedding, sent his two siblings to school, put some in trade as mechanic and electrician. Sponsored two of his younger siblings wedding ceremony. He linked one of his younger brother's to my mum's brother who happened to be a staff at Mobil. By the grace of God, he got a job at Mobil. That my mum brother is late, he died 2016. After all the favour my dad has rendered to his siblings, the best way they could say thank you was to inherit his only house. None of them has ever given even our last born #100. I graduated from school and still in search of job, none of them had shown interest. Glory be to God, we've never had the course to call them that we're hungry. I wasn't surprised regarding the recent development from my dad's siblings. I was envisaging taking it to a radio station, but i got to realised I'd have to spend some money towards that. I was discussing with my brother and he suggested i put it up for wider view

Thank you.

From a true life experience, I would say fighting over landed property, or land, most of the time, does not end well. Your dad, should better act very fast, and heed to the advise given to him by his friends.

If he doesn't, like someone commented earlier,most of the time, paternal side of ones family are the most wicked, and ruthless sets of humans one could think of, now that your uncle's or father's siblings are behaving this way while your father is still alive, imagine what they would do to you, your siblings, and mum when or if your dad should pass on.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by latonione: 1:11pm On Dec 17, 2023
What does your traditional says? what is the position of of first born with inheritance? Where are from and which tribe are you? If your father build on the first born inheritance, he (first born) own the land and the building. If that is the case, you are accustomed with tradition with tradition that is not yours and want to apply to your tradition. The same thing happen with ondo man with Igbo wife that took all children away to another without his consent. Problem dey
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by ChybuzzDD(m): 1:14pm On Dec 17, 2023
GboyegaD:

Your business where you choose to build your house, nonetheless, my opinion remains. I never said people shouldn't and only aired my opinion.

For the bolded, all na the usual noise.

Na mumu you be. I'm a surgeon practising abroad and i don't need to boast or lie about owning a duplex in Nigeria where the exchange rate is rubbish.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by okoroemeka(m): 1:18pm On Dec 17, 2023
UnfairLife7:
Father's family are most times useless and wicked. Anyway, It is best to sell the property to sort out your family immediate needs.
it will not be an easy sell because the other siblings living in the village will frustrate or scare any potential buyer and nothing scares away property buyers like family crisis,you may try but I don't see how easy it will be if your father's siblings are hell bent on getting the house,I think first thing is to settle the issue in the kindred or traditional ruler,it seems you are from the southwest I don't know how the custom works there,but if it is the southeast that your father built a house without support from his brothers and they wanted to claim it,only the umunna kindred will finish those brothers and put them in their place,infact you will not even dream if embarking on such ridiculous house grabbing in a family with umunna in place.for those that don't know what umunna means it is a family meeting that is mandatory for all male family members from 18 yrs and above and you will find it in 99.5% of all Igbo family group,if such a case will come before the umunna an elderly man will give a complete history of how that house was built by your father while his brothers are enjoying 33export beer in Congo republic

1 Like

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by TemmyT002(m): 1:40pm On Dec 17, 2023
Wahala for anyone who takes you people seriously in the first place
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by NoToPile: 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2023

So many questions about who has the land, whether it was inherited etc when it's written there that the dad bought and built singlehandedly.

Arrrh

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Scholace: 2:29pm On Dec 17, 2023
latonione:
What does your traditional says? what is the position of of first born with inheritance? Where are from and which tribe are you? If your father build on the first born inheritance, he (first born) own the land and the building. If that is the case, you are accustomed with tradition with tradition that is not yours and want to apply to your tradition. The same thing happen with ondo man with Igbo wife that took all children away to another without his consent. Problem dey
My father bought a land and built on it. There's nothing like father's or grandfather's inheritance
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Error401: 3:05pm On Dec 17, 2023
Sell Immediately

Scholace:
Good day all

Thank you.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Streetmovement(m): 3:55pm On Dec 17, 2023
Wotoporiously cool speaking

All this village settings me I nor like am, I just don't know why elderly people like building houses or owning a property in the village.

Anything village count me out, well your dad knows what to do, he better act fast before them act for am.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by armyofone(m): 5:50pm On Dec 17, 2023
As a doctor/surgeon abroad, you should know better than be insulting another successful person living abroad as you.

Pass your points across without calling the other person "mumu"

ChybuzzDD:

Na mumu you be. I'm a surgeon practising abroad and i don't need to boast or lie about owning a duplex in Nigeria where the exchange rate is rubbish.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by GboyegaD(m): 6:14pm On Dec 17, 2023
ChybuzzDD:

All na still noise. Whether you live abroad or not still doesn't make it different from noise. That part of your post was unnecessary.

That said, a sincere question is "do you have a mortgage where you live or you are renting?"
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Laycool: 8:54pm On Dec 17, 2023
[[b][/quote author=oluwaseyi0 post=127525524]Not a tribalist but this same issue keep happening in the east over and over again with no end in sight, happened to a close friend of mine

At the end of the day they are advised to abandon/sell south east property and build in South West[/quote]not only south east but the whole of south

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: The Negative Effects On A Child. / Motherchristmas Token Giveaway / Why Are Married Women Are Too Easy To Bleep

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.