Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,457 members, 7,812,404 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family (8310 Views)

The Husband Is The Head Of The Family? / How Your Birth Position In The Family Can Influence Your Personality / Slaying In Chaos! Mom Dresses Up In Lingerie With Her 4 Demanding Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Scholace: 10:15am On Dec 16, 2023
Good day all

My dad is from a nuclear family of eight. Seven boys and a girl. Their parents are late. My dad owned 8 rooms apartment in his village. He singlehandedly bought the land and raised the building. We reside in Lagos in a rented apartment. Obviously that was the only building owned by my dad. We hardly visit the village, but I've been there twice, likewise my other siblings. My mum and dad are the only ones that frequent there back then, and they're well known. My dad and the sixth child of their parents are the only ones that owned a house. The rest of them live in a rented apartment and had no house to their namew.

The house at the village wasn't occupied by anyone nor let out. Recently, one of the family members from their mother side at the village suggested to allow someone occupied the house. He brought in some people who i learnt were church people. Someone gave my dad info that they want to sell the house. My dad was surprised. We later got info that my dad elder brother claimed he owned the house.

My dad called his elder brother immediately he got the info to confirm what he heard. The so called brother asserted, and he was ruthlessly lashed by my dad. He was surprised by my dad's reaction. Two of my dad other siblings came around to apologise on behalf of their eldest brother outburst. I was around then, i overheard one of them saying it's a family's house. I was like, why are they fighting their eldest brother then?He claimed he owned the house while some claimed it's a family's house.

Apparently, my dad discussed this with two of his friends and they both advised he sell off the house and get a piece of land in Lagos or Ogun State and put up a small building on it. They told him if he didn't sell it, the family will take over the house when he kick the bucket, and his children and wife will be thoroughly dealt with if they attempt to be in loggerhead with them. He called one of his friend that reside at Ibadan, he said the same thing as suggested by his two other friends. He also added, if he can get a developer to take over the building because only 4 rooms had been roofed. By doing that, the developer will complete the building and write a will when to recoup their resources and the building taken back from them by we the children.

My mum suggested he sell it and start up a business, considering the fact that things aren't going well financially with him. My immediate younger brother may likely drop out of school due to finances. According to my dad he has really helped his siblings when things were going well for him. He financed his elder brother's wedding, sent his two siblings to school, put some in trade as mechanic and electrician. Sponsored two of his younger siblings wedding ceremony. He linked one of his younger brother's to my mum's brother who happened to be a staff at Mobil. By the grace of God, he got a job at Mobil. That my mum brother is late, he died 2016. After all the favour my dad has rendered to his siblings, the best way they could say thank you was to inherit his only house. None of them has ever given even our last born #100. I graduated from school and still in search of job, none of them had shown interest. Glory be to God, we've never had the course to call them that we're hungry. I wasn't surprised regarding the recent development from my dad's siblings. I was envisaging taking it to a radio station, but i got to realised I'd have to spend some money towards that. I was discussing with my brother and he suggested i put it up for wider view

Please what steps would you suggest my dad take inorder not to lose his property to his siblings.

Thank you.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by UnfairLife7(m): 10:36am On Dec 16, 2023
Father's family are most times useless and wicked. Anyway, It is best to sell the property to sort out your family immediate needs.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Mhizzard(m): 11:47am On Dec 16, 2023
Why are you people still going back??you have gotten best advice from your father's friends.i strongly support what the both men give out as an advice.family is very sweet when it comes to relation and at the same time is toxic.for a brother to be saying he own a house that is not his,don't you sense he can be toxic within himself.and for your father's sibling taging 'family house' on the house he own singlehandly,if he doesn't find immediate solution to it,he will lose it to the family rather being own by him all alone.i pray may he live long.if he left the house behind you people will suffer it.that is the real true

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Lonestar124: 11:54am On Dec 16, 2023
If he truly build the house on a portion of land where his father or sometime the first son of the family gave to him as an inheritance..he has no need to worry...I think the matter should be settled amicably in the family kindred meeting.

But the first son is mischievous..

7 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by slan87(m): 12:44pm On Dec 16, 2023
I think your dad has got the best advice from his friends. He should sell off the property & start another property elsewhere.

I pray he gets old to eat the fruits of his labour before he kicks bucket, he should do the needful now that he's still alive in other not to cause future chaos in family

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by VTJN(m): 1:30pm On Dec 16, 2023
My advice is to sell the property.

3 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by greenie77: 2:31pm On Dec 16, 2023
Sell the property or else, his elder brother will eventually sell it and bribe the other siblings with part of the money he made from the sale as some of them have already claimed it is a family house.

Selling it and using the money for what him, his wife and children will benefit from, will be way better than dragging it with his siblings who are already toxic and would go any length to sell the house and that may include eliminating your dad and you guys will be scared go there again.

5 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Stevenbright(m): 2:55pm On Dec 16, 2023
Scholace:
Good day all

My dad is from a nuclear family of eight. Seven boys and a girl. Their parents are late. My dad owned 8 rooms apartment in his village. He singlehandedly bought the land and raised the building. We reside in Lagos in a rented apartment. Obviously that was the only building owned by my dad. We hardly visit the village, but I've been there twice, likewise my other siblings. My mum and dad are the only ones that frequent there back then, and they're well known. My dad and the sixth child of their parents are the only ones that owned a house. The rest of them live in a rented apartment and had no house to their namew.

The house at the village wasn't occupied by anyone nor let out. Recently, one of the family members from their mother side at the village suggested to allow someone occupied the house. He brought in some people who i learnt were church people. Someone gave my dad info that they want to sell the house. My dad was surprised. We later got info that my dad elder brother claimed he owned the house.

My dad called his elder brother immediately he got the info to confirm what he heard. The so called brother asserted, and he was ruthlessly lashed by my dad. He was surprised by my dad's reaction. Two of my dad other siblings came around to apologise on behalf of their eldest brother outburst. I was around then, i overheard one of them saying it's a family's house. I was like, why are they fighting their eldest brother then?He claimed he owned the house while some claimed it's a family's house.

Apparently, my dad discussed this with two of his friends and they both advised he sell off the house and get a piece of land in Lagos or Ogun State and put up a small building on it. They told him if he didn't sell it, the family will take over the house when he kick the bucket, and his children and wife will be thoroughly dealt with if they attempt to be in loggerhead with them. He called one of his friend that reside at Ibadan, he said the same thing as suggested by his two other friends. He also added, if he can get a developer to take over the building because only 4 rooms had been roofed. By doing that, the developer will complete the building and write a will when to recoup their resources and the building taken back from them by we the children.

My mum suggested he sell it and start up a business, considering the fact that things aren't going well financially with him. My immediate younger brother may likely drop out of school due to finances. According to my dad he has really helped his siblings when things were going well for him. He financed his elder brother's wedding, sent his two siblings to school, put some in trade as mechanic and electrician. Sponsored two of his younger siblings wedding ceremony. He linked one of his younger brother's to my mum's brother who happened to be a staff at Mobil. By the grace of God, he got a job at Mobil. That my mum brother is late, he died 2016. After all the favour my dad has rendered to his siblings, the best way they could say thank you was to inherit his only house. None of them has ever given even our last born #100. I graduated from school and still in search of job, none of them had shown interest. Glory be to God, we've never had the course to call them that we're hungry. I wasn't surprised regarding the recent development from my dad's siblings. I was envisaging taking it to a radio station, but i got to realised I'd have to spend some money towards that. I was discussing with my brother and he suggested i put it up for wider view

Please what steps would you suggest my dad take inorder not to lose his property to his siblings.

Thank you.

He should sell the house as it is right now. Forget about getting a property developer involved as this could lead to another problem.

He should sell it out right away and use a part of the fund to meet you guys current needs. He can use the rest to start a business that you have interest in and be in charge to manage it for the time being.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Yankiss(m): 10:36am On Dec 17, 2023
Sell the house and use the fund to develop a business or build another house in his fist son's name. Father's brothers and extended family are always entitled. Whatever you do for them is nothing so far as you are ahead of them. They would always be jealous and gang up. I can relate!

8 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by LordGuru1: 10:36am On Dec 17, 2023
dust144:
Without family u won't have problem and family is all.
Yes o! It also depends on the Family you married into. shocked See:
https://www.nairaland.com/7134021/research-shows-yorubas-most-sought-after#112965801

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by dust144(m): 10:37am On Dec 17, 2023
Without family u won't have problem and family is all.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by wunmi590(m): 10:37am On Dec 17, 2023

Co advise your dad to sell of the house, so that everybody can go their separate ways...

Please, make sure you distance yourself from anything family property, pray to God to give you money to be financially stable and never even remember if your father has a property or not...

I'm talking from experience...

4 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by SirLakes: 10:37am On Dec 17, 2023
lipsrsealed
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Amerengues2: 10:37am On Dec 17, 2023
Hmm

The advice to sell seems to be the best now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Iv7_HtAEQI?si=_8nhlCKHqPvS9hUu

Facts you never knew!
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by GboyegaD(m): 10:38am On Dec 17, 2023
One thing I don't understand till tomorrow is why people struggle to build homes they are not going to live in or rent out immediately if it is an investment property.

He should thread with caution. And thus should serve as a lesson to all those rising to build homes in their villages they don't live in.

4 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Boomboost(m): 10:40am On Dec 17, 2023
E no hard na.
Seems your dad inherited the house without formal documents, he should have made those.

You get phone na? Record family meetings discussing land ownership and your dad categorically reading his will on video to avoid tampering. No matter the size of the video, save am for cloud storage.

Make friends with Lawyer n Police people, find them something make them comot bullies from una property

1 Like

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by oluwaseyi0: 10:40am On Dec 17, 2023
Not a tribalist but this same issue keep happening in the east over and over again with no end in sight, happened to a close friend of mine

At the end of the day they are advised to abandon/sell south east property and build in South West

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by ednut1(m): 10:41am On Dec 17, 2023
How much is a property in the village worth This is a lesson for us o, givers don dey lack. People will suck you till you become broke like them.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by AbuTwins: 10:42am On Dec 17, 2023
What's the worth of the property?

Does your dad have all its updated documents?

How developed is your village? What state?
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Sirchiboy: 10:42am On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
Good day all

Thank you.
How old are you?
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by MykellOni(m): 10:43am On Dec 17, 2023
Attendance: Present ✅️
What other advice are you looking for here on nairaland. If you guys wouldn't take your dad's friends advices, then obviously no advice from anyone would make sense...
You're underestimating the length at which your father's siblings can go right?
Hmmmm I honestly pray you don't suddeny loose your father to an unknown cause.
Never trust nor undermine village people...
I pray you receive divine wisdom sha

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by abobote: 10:46am On Dec 17, 2023
They can settle it without selling the house. Selling a house in the village is a no no for me.
Moreover house doesn't have much selling value in the village.

Your Dad should invite the kinsmen to settle the matter and draw a line

1 Like

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Houseontherock1: 10:50am On Dec 17, 2023
Selling as it is and immediately is the best option...I hope he has all the documents to this house.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Dshocker(m): 10:58am On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
Good day all

Thank you.

After what happened with my late father and his brother towards us, i swore never to do things together as family, not even with my biological brother.

In as much as i and my brother are in good terms, i still remember vividly when he suggested we contribute money together and buy a land in Abuja, i laughed and told him it is not possible.

I can't do business with my biological brother, because if i die, he will inherit or claim 100% ownership.

Life teaches us important lesson, from other people's mistakes.

8 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Dshocker(m): 11:00am On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
Good day all

Thank you.

You can imagine, your father is still alive and they are claiming the property, so imagine if he dies tomorrow, the type of prosecution you guys will receive from him brothers.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Scholace: 11:05am On Dec 17, 2023
Boomboost:
E no hard na.
Seems your dad inherited the house without formal documents, he should have made those.

You get phone na? Record family meetings discussing land ownership and your dad categorically reading his will on video to avoid tampering. No matter the size of the video, save am for cloud storage.

Make friends with Lawyer n Police people, find them something make them comot bullies from una property
He didn't inherit the house. He singlehandedly bought the land and built it to that level.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Scholace: 11:07am On Dec 17, 2023
AbuTwins:
What's the worth of the property?

Does your dad have all its updated documents?

How developed is your village? What state?

According to him, it should worth 5 million

Yes, he has the documents

Osun state, few miles away from Ibadan

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by Xkale1996(m): 11:08am On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
Good day all

Thank you.
let him sell it and start business business

1 Like

Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by AbuTwins: 11:11am On Dec 17, 2023
Scholace:
According to him, it should worth 5 million

Yes, he has the documents

Osun state, few miles away from Ibadan

You may sell if there is no other option!
If possible you may get developers to develop and rent it out for some years but that'll take time.And it may not meet the present need.
Re: How Do We Avoid Future Chaos In The Family by dgitrader(m): 11:11am On Dec 17, 2023
You skipped a very detail in your case, on whose land did Ur dad build the house? If it's on the family land, that's why the siblings got the audacity from. Never put trust on village inheritance if u are not grounded in that environment. They are ready to kill to snatch it from you.

Selling a house in the village usually ends in a huge loss. Unfortunately that is the best decision.
Sell it and invest it in Ur children's development, especially "handwork"! You won't regret it!

Better expend the money on your family than loose it eventually to wicked brothers.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Crying And Smiling Wives / DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: The Negative Effects On A Child. / Motherchristmas Token Giveaway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.