Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,902 members, 7,814,054 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss (8351 Views)

As A Single Guy How Do You Deal With Work Stress? / How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? / Leaving A Toxic Boss/work For Unknown Skill. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by chukkystar(m): 2:31pm On Dec 17, 2023
Find way and create small boundaries. Avoid them as much as possible. Toxic people are usually very insecure and it's this insecurity that they project on to others. It's part of work Politics. U have to make Yourself an asset in that firm and have someone making decisions as an ally. Once She knows she can't Bully U without repercussions she will back off. I had one manager at NESTLÉ like that, He was so daft that He threatened me on CCTV😂. I just downloaded the video and sent it to His fellow manager tat was an ally of mine. That one showed Him and the Mumu started avoiding me cos He knew I could send that Video higher up but chose to give Him another chance.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by easzypeaszy(m): 2:32pm On Dec 17, 2023
So my boss lady nearly sofocate me last week
I wanted ending it all by givin her the beat of her life as she dey raise her voice, I Remeber my mom drugs I wan buy end of every mnth, my kids l, Naija economy n wer I go gt Anthr 250k job.. I just left der.
I went inside n was screaming bc na den I kw say I don change finally n was d best decision.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by ogawisdom(m): 2:41pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders
Please how do you handle a situation where you have a senior colleague in your workplace that has a clique that supports her secret acts that are contrary to the workplace do's and donts.
In addition to that tries to discredit you before the MD because you don't join her clique.
Is It to report her to the MD or let it slide?
She's so toxic but pretends a lot before the boss

You need to gather as much concrete evidence as possible before speaking to the boss so you don't look stupid when your claims are watered down.

Most importantly who does the boss like more between you and her. Is he a neutral Boss? Some emotional bosses will favour anyone they like even when they are wrong
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by Advancedman(m): 2:45pm On Dec 17, 2023
Emmanuel555:
Work underground, get all the evidence of her ill acts, next time she tries something funny before the MD, sabotage her right there

Yet very calculative also spread your underground work to cover all including the boss, so you don't report your enemy to the chief enemy.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by Tohsynetita1: 2:47pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders
Please how do you handle a situation where you have a senior colleague in your workplace that has a clique that supports her secret acts that are contrary to the workplace do's and donts.
In addition to that tries to discredit you before the MD because you don't join her clique.
We are in developed world,try to get camera you can station to strategy places to record them. there's a glasses camera or any other that are as small as a bottle of soft drink. You go record them and watch on your phone later.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by Gloriagee(f): 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2023
By being passive aggressive. When 2 toxic people meet, the lesser toxic one must bow. Improve the quality of your work, study your opponent and decipher their weak points and use it Wisely while being nice about it. This only counts if you're at your dream job, otherwise first step should be to aggressively look for a new job.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by jackmrandy: 2:53pm On Dec 17, 2023
How to go about it. Don't interfere, do your job. Do whatever she ask you to do since she is your superior. Don't share personal information or devulge any information about your self and character to them. Just do your work and go home.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by countryman13: 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders
No need of reporting her but ensure dt u do ur work diligently as it will definitely speak for u.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by Myer(m): 2:55pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders
It depends on how influential the senior staff is and your organisational structure.
As a subordinate to her, do not overstep your boundary.

Find a way of addressing the issue with your boss. Don't make it personal.
What secret acts is she engaging in?
Are you sure your boss is not also compromised?
Depending on the impact of her secret acts affects the job and the office atmosphere.

Finally, it's OK not to join a clique but you have to be sure you're on top of your game and stay loyal to your organisation.
In case your boss is like wise compromised, you may need to start looking for a better job before whatever their doing backfires, as it always does.
You can send an situation report to your HR when thr timing is right.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by christopheojo(m): 2:58pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders
Cut off her throat 😭😭😭
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by Karlifate: 3:00pm On Dec 17, 2023
fkj950ax:
I think these topics on NL are just about following trends to use some buzz phrase or words.

There is nothing toxic about the above situation you shared.

The golden rules of the workplace are
Rule 1
Do Your Job>Get Paid>Go Home>Rinse and Repeat the next day
Rule 2
Your colleagues are not your friends or family. (Insert Rule 1)

💯
Some people will be looking for what's not lost.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by Karlifate: 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2023
chukkystar:
Find way and create small boundaries. Avoid them as much as possible. Toxic people are usually very insecure and it's this insecurity that they project on to others. It's part of work Politics. U have to make Yourself an asset in that firm and have someone making decisions as an ally. Once She knows she can't Bully U without repercussions she will back off. I had one manager at NESTLÉ like that, He was so daft that He threatened me on CCTV😂. I just downloaded the video and sent it to His fellow manager tat was an ally of mine. That one showed Him and the Mumu started avoiding me cos He knew I could send that Video higher up but chose to give Him another chance.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by PureNigerDeltan(m): 3:08pm On Dec 17, 2023
This is almost a characteristic specific to subordinates with clear hearts in organizations in Nigeria. The average Nigerian man is a thief @when given the opportunity”… just like those your co-workers that support him. The best way to solve this is to use every chance you have to build for yourself another source of revenue. Residual income nai go fit save you. If you resign get another job, same thing go still happen. We have more of people that don’t have conscienCe than people that have🤦🏾‍♂️

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by PureNigerDeltan(m): 3:09pm On Dec 17, 2023
Any form of resistance by you while remaining in that company will drain you
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by chidiakwari: 3:20pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders
the question you should be asking yourself is “do you have another job?”. I bet not.

You better use your head and swallow all the shits that come at you.

Nigeria is in a very bad situation and there are tons of first class graduate that would take your spot and eat the shit.

What you have right now is a criminal government. So there is no employment outside for you
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by xukwaa: 3:26pm On Dec 17, 2023
Where I work, nothing like toxic boss. As a manager, I have adopted the leadership style of my retired boss, benefited tremendously and will never deviate from it. I don enjoy am from my Oga..na so my staff go enjoy me
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by elonmuskbaby: 3:54pm On Dec 17, 2023
Best solution ignore and focus your energy on self development and seeking God then see how God makes you.

There's a way God deals with bullies when you hand them over to him that you wouldn't have gone that far if you were to handle it yourself.thats why God is called agbeni nija kionija beru
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by femi4: 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders
Do your work n go home . Ignore side talk n gist. Entertain only positive work related conversation, if your MD need any clarification...he ll seek your opinion
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by LordReed(m): 4:09pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders

By DOCUMENTING any infractions you can, if you want to take it to the MD word of mouth will not be enough.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by tochez24(m): 4:25pm On Dec 17, 2023
Theopneustos:
Good nairalanders

You have no business in what your senior colleague and her group do in the office....You're not a monitoring witch neither were you employed there as a supervisor!!!!

Simply do your job and go home, pay no attention to what anyone else does unless you're ready to loose your job♂️. Do your job so well that your boss will know you did well even after listening to all the gossips... Results they say don't lie my dear.

If your boss or any other staff ask you for any information about their affairs, pretend you don't know anything.

They're your seniors in the job, do you think your boss will believe you? At their expense?? You MUST be a joker.... No go loose your job for this economy o

Sometimes people get hurt for not minding their business💯
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by lekonso: 4:34pm On Dec 17, 2023
Continue to do your job with the right conscience. Please don't join them in their bad deals. But pray that God Himself should expose them one day. For sure their cups will be full one day and they will be found out. Please don't resign. You are not to run away from them, they are the ones suppose to resign for you.
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by ifinger: 7:35pm On Dec 17, 2023
If she fancy u give her Ur pipe u will b able to control her !
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by muhammadhan19: 9:10am On Dec 27, 2023
Go read 48 law of power...
Then come back within a week to give testimony chikena.....
Re: How Do You Deal With A Toxic Boss by chukkystar(m): 4:49pm On Mar 11
Gloriagee:
By being passive aggressive. When 2 toxic people meet, the lesser toxic one must bow. Improve the quality of your work, study your opponent and decipher their weak points and use it Wisely while being nice about it. This only counts if you're at your dream job, otherwise first step should be to aggressively look for a new job.
I can bet anything U are very experienced. This advice is a Gem. I work around Top Management with some Multinationals and the best way to go is to be passive aggressive and it's something I Love doing so it comes quite easy. U said it exactly how I do it..

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nut Writes El-rufai Over Sack Of 21,780 Teachers / Needs Guide On How To Lodge A Formal Complaint / Is Animal Production A Good Course To Study In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.