Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer (7304 Views)

Nigerian Senior Soldier Threatens Junior For Addressing Him As "Officer" / Advice A Prospective Graduate / Mohammed Abubakar, Former Aircraft Cleaner Set To Become Captain 24 Years After (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by tellwisdom: 12:38pm On Dec 18, 2023
Sucre6:

How old are you?

Your papa age
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Bugcompiler(m): 12:39pm On Dec 18, 2023
practice daily, learn daily, never run from complex tasks. Develop problem solving skills. Be focused. No girlfriend for now, no sleep 4 nite. Build network and relationship. I have lived and practice in this industry for 14 years, no regret. I hold a degree in CS, do if you can. If you can't, you can still do very well.

2 Likes

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Sucre6: 12:40pm On Dec 18, 2023
tellwisdom:

Your papa age

Very good then

My dad is late, you are next.
Get your affairs in order, you are going real soon, tell my dad that I love and miss him when u see him at the great beyond.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by fitinwell: 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2023
Dotinacircle:
I'm a 24 years old junior software developer working at a it company in nigeria, I don't come here to brag!!!, I only need advice from you guys to be successful more. I don't have girlfriend, I only focus on hustle. I need advice on how make my life better. Advice me like how a father will advice is son?? Thanks very much guys

Just avoid relationships with local girls

1 Like

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by justmondris: 12:47pm On Dec 18, 2023
1 Teamwork and humility will take you far in this journey.
2: Always work on side projects
3: Code and learn something new every day
4: Get a textbook that is related to your field and spend at least 30 minutes every day reading it.
5: Take care of your mental health
6: Learn to always ask questions if something is not clear to you.

1 Like

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Woodshot: 12:50pm On Dec 18, 2023
Beverleyjean:
what is CS?
... Computer science?? A degree.
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by BigDawsNet: 12:57pm On Dec 18, 2023
Dotinacircle:
I'm a 24 years old junior software developer working at a it company in nigeria, I don't come here to brag!!!, I only need advice from you guys to be successful more. I don't have girlfriend, I only focus on hustle. I need advice on how make my life better. Advice me like how a father will advice is son?? Thanks very much guys

There is nothing to brag here bro... junior developer is just a regular role in an IT company.. just focus on your development and train ur self more better...

Your focus should be Working your way to senior developer level..

For now... don't be womaniser... you have a very solid future ahead of you... make that career first before you begin flex...

Remember never stop training..
Listen to your senior programmer all d time..

Stay bless bro

1 Like

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Akano5(m): 1:00pm On Dec 18, 2023
Bro, you're good to go, and follow the advice they're giving you -- it pays....

I'm 20, I also want to learn online skills... but, no money to even get myself an Android phone talkless of Laptop...

In all, I Thank God for life.

1 Like

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by JOGICE(m): 1:00pm On Dec 18, 2023
Junior or Senior don’t let these tittles tickle you…Tech is all about WHAT YOU CAN CREATE TO MAKE THE LIFE EXPERIENCES OF EVERYONE AROUND THE WORLD BETTER.

Dotinacircle:

Don’t just know but learn how to Network & communicate with those above & below your level in tech.

Be ready to teach whatever you know no matter how little. Get someone younger who’s interested in tech & pour out your knowledge (you’ll grow deeper in understanding doing this).

As much as possible avoid getting intimate with strange Ladies. Too much of those activities can mess up with one’s creativity/mind. There’s time for everything man.

Build a cordial relationship with female lawyers, doctors & designers…not one, but a few. You’re protected if it blossoms into a healthy one with good boundaries.

Save like a squirrel, eat healthy & always engage in activities that’ll make you move your Legs/body.

Have a vision AN UNREALISTIC DREAM of what you wanna do in the tech space. I have come to understand that impossibilities don’t exist when technology is involved.

Plan above everyone’s imaginations, if you win your contributions to tech will be documented & your life will be studied on earth by generations to come. Yet even when you fail you’ll fail above everyone else’s success.

2 Likes

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Segzy19: 1:02pm On Dec 18, 2023
Keep doing your work and keep developing yourself
Keep yourself abreast with current IT trend and stuffs
Avoid women for now... You will be distracted
Avoid bad friends and associations. They will also distract you.
Avoid drugs... Don't go near it. It can get hold of you and destroy you
Don't get addicted to alcohol if you drink.
If you drink, don't drive, and dont let a drunk friend drive you
Pray, believe in God and serve humanity...
Maintain integrity and avoid dishonesty
Guard your health jealously. After God, your health is next. You can't work, enjoy your money, serve God, do anything without good health

Finally, be street smart. Use the 6th sense always. You need it for survival

2 Likes

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by TheFacelessMan: 1:02pm On Dec 18, 2023
EKONGKING:
Don't stop learning new software skills and programs , alway be upto date with required skills.

The moment u stop learning in any job or business or profession,others will race ahead of u .

Nigerians value certificate, Indians value certificate as well as skill set while oyinbo value only skill set .

Oyinbo and Indians are leading the IT field all over the world. So u get the drift.

Excellently put comment 🫡
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by teewhydope(m): 1:04pm On Dec 18, 2023
Know your DSA and also keep improving. Do a lot of research, never shy away from complex problems..

1 Like

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by misko: 1:19pm On Dec 18, 2023
Start a business. That's all I can advise you to do
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by TopNotchdecor(m): 1:20pm On Dec 18, 2023
I want to ask a few questions, DM
Dotinacircle:

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by johnog4sure: 1:24pm On Dec 18, 2023
I am a senior developer, myself and this is the advice I will give to my younger self:
1. Build a core in one language. preferrable Java or C.
2. Focus on DSA dont be in a hurry.
3. Dont shy away from new techs, test them out discard the once you dont need, keep others in your toolbox.
4. keep building solutions, Enterprise software that you can commercialize (This is what actually qualifies you as a software developer, not that title you people share after a week/weak bootcamp).
5. Finally collaborate with other software developers, you cant build scalable solutions all alone!

2 Likes

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by johnog4sure: 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2023
Dotinacircle:

I am a senior developer, myself and this is the advice I will give to my younger self:
3. Dont shy away from new techs, test them out discard the once you dont need, keep others in your toolbox.
4. keep building solutions, Enterprise software that you can commercialize (This is what actually qualifies you as a software developer, not that title you people share after a week/weak bootcamp).
5. Finally collaborate with other software developers, you cant build scalable solutions all alone!
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Unclebayo(m): 1:28pm On Dec 18, 2023
This should be a moral lesson for young lads, this guy once begged for money on this forum early last , then you see what happens now 💯

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by airsaylongcome: 1:35pm On Dec 18, 2023
Dotinacircle:

What's your current stack? What are your short term career goals? (up to 3 years)? From your monthly income, are you saving a fixed amount and making that a monthly habit? Marry early, marry your friend and grow together with her. Cross train your self in other non-tech fields. I like Economics, Finance and accounting and always take a new course in at least one of those. Lastly, get out of this jail. And do it quickly, especially now that you are young

4 Likes

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Animegirl(f): 1:36pm On Dec 18, 2023
johnog4sure:

Sir, do I need a degree to become a software developer? I've recently started learning how to create websites through YouTube, and I plan to transition from Law to software development. What advice do you have for someone like me who is eager to learn new things and remain consistent?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Moneyyman: 1:37pm On Dec 18, 2023
You need a mentor....a good and honest mentor.

I'll advise you look for an older person you admire their life and accomplishments and approach them for a mentorship.
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by johnog4sure: 1:42pm On Dec 18, 2023
Animegirl:

Sir, do I need a degree to become a software developer? I've recently started learning how to create websites through YouTube, and I plan to transition from Law to software development. What advice do you have for someone like me who is eager to learn new things and remain consistent?
Nooooo, you dont need a degree, if you are interested in some structured learning get a mentor or you can take a free online course from American Online Universities on DSA they usually free but very tasking. In the IT industry your skill and the solution you build is what sells you. please still hold on to your LAW, you could be the first to build an AI Bot Judge or Judiciary system for Africans

1 Like

Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by AntiWailer: 1:46pm On Dec 18, 2023
be humble.
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Ayinde2000: 1:55pm On Dec 18, 2023
Aunty wa and where is this headed ohh?
BRATISLAVA:
They told you to work hard to get women. What other advice do you need? Even telling us you don't have a girlfriend. We know where this is headed.
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:56pm On Dec 18, 2023
Improve yourself more..forget about women for now..they will only drag you down.
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by BRATISLAVA: 1:57pm On Dec 18, 2023
Ayinde2000:
Aunty wa and where is this headed ohh?

Uncle wa and what else is he telling us about a girlfriend for, if he wants professional advice?
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by LooneyLester: 1:59pm On Dec 18, 2023
Don't be a software developer
You're gonna regret it
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Niok: 2:04pm On Dec 18, 2023
Teach me
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Niok: 2:05pm On Dec 18, 2023
LooneyLester:
Don't be a software developer
You're gonna regret it
why
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by LooneyLester: 2:08pm On Dec 18, 2023
Niok:
why

Mental burn out and stress plus junior software developer field is totally saturated

Better to learn something non code or dive into management or marketing
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Chetas81(m): 2:13pm On Dec 18, 2023
Faposky95:
Be humble......
Just be humble, no matter what.
You want to be successful, be humble
every stage of life need humble
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by AllenSpencer: 2:18pm On Dec 18, 2023
Dotinacircle:

At 24, if you have perfected your art. The best you can do for yourself is to "LEGALLY" leave the country.

You have the age on your side to take good risk.
Re: Advice A 24 Years Old Junior Software Developer by Niok: 2:19pm On Dec 18, 2023
LooneyLester:

Mental burn out and stress plus junior software developer field is totally saturated

Better to learn something non code or dive into management or marketing
Omo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nahco To Sack 3000 Aviation Workers / PHOTOS: Tuc's Food Union (FOBTOB) In An Ongoing Nationwide Industrial Action. / Standard Chartered International Graduate Programme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.