Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son (49618 Views)

I Returned To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US – Ondo Man / Homeless Man And Wife Get Help From Twitter As They Go Viral / Cacudu Benson's First Wife Now Homeless (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Omihanifa: 6:36am On Dec 17, 2023
John Ibironke, the son of a 68-year-old man from Ondo State, Joseph Ibironke, who claimed to have spent nine years in the United Kingdom and 21 years in the United States before he found himself in Nigeria after a strange illness, tells FATTEH HAMID how he reunited with his father

Who is Joseph Ibironke to you?

My name is John Ibironke, I’m a building contractor. I’m from Igbara Oke, Ondo State. I’m the only son of my mother alive, born to Joseph Ibironke.

Your father said you were a few months old when he left Nigeria. What do you know about his life or as you were told by your mother?

Well, I barely lived seven years with my mother before she got married again to someone else and life was not easy; it was very difficult. I had to start living with my dad’s elder brother, Williams Ibironke, when I was about seven or eight years old. However, while still with her and from the things she told me when I grew older, my father was a man who cared for me and my brother when he was still in Nigeria and we would never have suffered the way we did if he was around.

When did your older brother die?

Of course, I was still young at the time but it was around 1987 that he died as I was told by my mother. I was not old enough at that time.

How old are you?

I’m going to be 43 in a few months.

Did you not try to search for your dad when you grew older?
I did. There’s an adage in Yoruba that says that it is only a bastard who won’t look for his father; a true son will find his father. When I was growing up, my friends and some people in my mother’s family usually called me a fatherless boy which was a very painful abuse and sad for me at the time. So, I decided that I was going to find him. I had always worried my mother that I needed to find my father but she didn’t have the time to do that despite my insistence. It led to a fight between us and her new husband. Later on, I had a long vacation in school, I hustled and gathered money together to travel to Lagos from Ilesa, Osun State. At that time, his brother had already died but I didn’t know.

What happened when you arrived in Lagos?

When I got to Ebute Metta, I went to their house and asked his wife why I wasn’t informed when he died. She said she didn’t know that I was going to come back. I told her that what brought me to Lagos was the fact that I needed to find my father and going to Igbara Oke would be the best shot to finding him and that I needed the address to get there. She gave me the address and I left Lagos for Ilesa after three days in Lagos. After two days in Ilesa, I went home to Igbara Oke searching for my other extended family members with the hope that I’d be able to locate my father because the only link I knew, which was the uncle I lived with, had already died.

How were you received in Igbara Oke?

When I got there, no one knew me. I had to explain who I was to them and mention all those I knew just to be able to back my claim that I was the son of Joseph Bankole Ibironke. I spent about six days in Igbara Oke before I left there.

How did you know that your father had returned to Nigeria?

It was the son of one of his brothers who called me that he was back. I remembered that there was a time I went to Lagos and we exchanged contacts and he told me that he used to connect with my dad and that he was going to contact me when he was able to reach out to him. Some years later, he called to tell me that my dad was back in Nigeria. He said that he got his Nigerian phone number and that he was going to share it with me.

Did you call your dad?

I called my father and we spoke. He tried explaining some things to me but I told him that my mother should be his first point of contact and that if he reconciled with her, it was all fine with me.

After that, he regularly called me but I didn’t warm up to him. This year, in June, he called me and informed me that he was with my mother in Ilesa. I spoke to my mother through his phone and all was settled. He also saw my mother’s new family. This came about six or seven years after our first contact notifying me that he was in Nigeria After about two days, he called me and told me that he also wanted to meet me and he travelled down to Ilesa to see me and my family.

How many children do you have?
Yes, I have a family already. I am married with three children.

How did you feel when you saw him for the first time after decades?

It was a sad reunion, I must be honest with you, especially when he explained all he had gone through. I couldn’t cry but pity him because of the experiences he had and what life had shown him. I believe that when there is life, there is hope. I am trying my best to visit him in Lagos from Osogbo when I can.

How did your wife and children receive your father?

It was emotional. My wife had never seen him or his picture before so she didn’t recognise him. I had to introduce both of them and also introduced him to my children as their grandfather. My children and wife were all surprised to reunite with their grandfather and father-in-law, respectively, after so many [quote]years.

How old are your children?

My first child, who’s a boy, is 19 years old and my second child is four years old. The third is a toddler who’s just four months old.

https://punchng.com/dads-return-to-nigeria-homeless-after-30-years-in-uk-us-sad-son/

Previous thread https://punchng.com/dads-return-to-nigeria-homeless-after-30-years-in-uk-us-sad-son/

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by GanagiBitrus: 6:43am On Dec 17, 2023
Well, there will still be a lot of positives to draw from those 30years in UK & USA and so he still has reasons to be grateful.
Perhaps if he remained in Nigeria, he would probably have been killed by Armed Robbers, herdsmen, Kidnappers, road accident, poor health care...

Would have given a similar Counsel to someone who is regretting that he failed in life by not travelling to USA. Would have told him that he may possibly have been killed by gun violence, mass shooters, Drug cartels etc in USA.
Point is to always find reasons to be grateful no matter the adversities.

100 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by matify83: 6:58am On Dec 17, 2023
Some discrepancies are beginning to show up in Baba's story compared to his son's.

Wishing baba luck in also reuniting with his wife and children abroad.

21 Likes

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Lovemeharder(f): 6:59am On Dec 17, 2023
Things are happening, thank God for life tho. Welcome back home.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Whitecoal711: 7:18am On Dec 17, 2023
The resemblance doo
DNA should be run first to ascertain
Then the juju should be investigate to know what transpired
UK and US no be agberoism

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Franzinni: 7:49am On Dec 17, 2023
It smells fishy ... Even from the father's accent in the video, I started having my doubts, now the father claimed to be in yaba left and then kirikiri and then under bridge but the sons timeline doesn't reflect or accommodate that possibility... Men let me face my own jare, I wish them well...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Femich18(m): 7:49am On Dec 17, 2023
Once there is life there's hope.
A living dog Is better than a dead lion

1 Like

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by marlow1962(m): 7:49am On Dec 17, 2023
Ok

1 Like

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by SpatialKing(m): 7:49am On Dec 17, 2023
Okay
Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by harsysky(m): 7:50am On Dec 17, 2023

Uwaa bu pawpaw 2x
Pawpaw daa naala
Ya akuwasia
Uwa bu pawpaw o

Wicked and unpredictable world!

I don't need Jupiter to tell me that the elder brother did the juju to make him mad , so that he wouldn't come for his house again

When they say "fear people" , it is everybody. If you have a lucky family where envy isn't the order of the day, thank your CHI. Pray always to God , or do your juju without ceasing; whichever you do, don't be at the middle.

5 Likes

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Gbadugbakun(m): 7:50am On Dec 17, 2023
So sad. God would strengthen their family in Jesus name.

5 Likes

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by TwoBottles: 7:51am On Dec 17, 2023
The world has been programmed in such a way that the black man will remain a slave. Our forefathers protested being taken away in chains but here we are doing anything we can to go and become slaves in a white man's land.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by jeromestarks: 7:51am On Dec 17, 2023
Many who want to japa have no tangible vision.

17 Likes

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Creamypie(m): 7:52am On Dec 17, 2023
Hmm
Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Kingrshd3: 7:52am On Dec 17, 2023
Not everybody that travel abroad will become Dangote and Davido or wizkid some of Dem they are destined to make it in Nigeria

SO JAPA IS NOT FOR EVERYBODY

8 Likes

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by id4sho(m): 7:52am On Dec 17, 2023
A prodigal father undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Animegirl(f): 7:53am On Dec 17, 2023
embarassed
Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Expanse2020(m): 7:53am On Dec 17, 2023
Whitecoal711:
The resemblance doo
DNA should be run first to ascertain
Then the juju should be investigate to know what transpired
UK and US no be agberoism
The resemblance
Mad guy🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
You ppl no go destroy baba patapata the only hope baba take survive you still want collect am..

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by MajorOvakporaye(f): 7:53am On Dec 17, 2023
cheesy
Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by chidiakwari: 7:55am On Dec 17, 2023
The son should go and find out how he can get citizenship from his father and leave this hell hole called Nigeria.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Spirit247: 7:55am On Dec 17, 2023
Edusouls:
ur father and mother since they were born and bred in Nigeria then got married and had you, all of you that are in Nigeria have been killed by armed robbery, kidnapping, herdsmen,road accident, poor health care? At times hide ur foolishness a bit Abegi, the thing too Dey expose you
Thanks for telling him this truth, Japa is a coded Name for Cowardice.
shocked See:
https://www.nairaland.com/7943407/all-yorubas-igbos-hausa-fulanis-must#127522978
Urgent Warning for all Igbos, Yorubas, Housa-Fulani!

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by foxman04: 7:55am On Dec 17, 2023
GanagiBitrus:

Well, there will still be a lot of positives to draw from those 30years in UK & USA and so he still has reasons to be grateful.
Perhaps if he remained in Nigeria, he would probably have been killed by Armed Robbers, herdsmen, Kidnappers, road accident, poor health care...

he could have been a multi-millionaire also

5 Likes

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by OmoOshodi(m): 7:56am On Dec 17, 2023
DNA is needed here
Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Toosure70: 7:56am On Dec 17, 2023
This is serious o
Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Kingrshd3: 7:56am On Dec 17, 2023
GanagiBitrus:

U be mumu why are u guys always looking for a way to paint Nigeria black and useless .. if he is in Nigeria he might have even be more successful..

Do u think is everyone that travel abroad will make it like Wizkid and Davido Dangote 🤔

All this people made their wealth here ..

Tell me 5 people that have traveled abroad and rich like portable ..

Please let's stop this mentality of using bad things on our dear nation nigeria

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Edusouls(m): 7:56am On Dec 17, 2023
GanagiBitrus:

ur father and mother since they were born and bred in Nigeria then got married and had you, all of you that are in Nigeria have been killed by armed robbery, kidnapping, herdsmen,road accident, poor health care? At times hide ur foolishness a bit Abegi, the thing too Dey expose you

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by bro4u: 7:56am On Dec 17, 2023
GanagiBitrus:

Don't sugarcoat failure

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by payaseriy: 7:56am On Dec 17, 2023
Govt sponsoring media to discourage japa

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Agunesinjaweola: 7:57am On Dec 17, 2023
Why must a man left for abroad without looking back for his family either to visit or bring them over
This doesn't look good to me and there's a missing link both in the UK and US as many questions are begging for answers !?

5 Likes

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Kingrshd3: 7:57am On Dec 17, 2023
Edusouls:

God bless you my brother that's what I just replied him now..

They will always say bad things about Nigeria I just don't know why as if it's d worst place on earth to live 😢

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dad’s Return To Nigeria Homeless After 30 Years In UK, US Sad – Son by Chibuzoripob: 7:57am On Dec 17, 2023
sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help, My Child Is Already A GENIUS @ 3! / Man Rocks Gown, Fake Baby Bump In Maternity Photoshoot With Pregnant Wife (Pix) / Ugandan Man Dies After Bumping Into Wife Who Claimed She Traveled Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.