Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,108 members, 7,835,737 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! (10332 Views)

Are Nigerian Graduates Employable? / Covid-19 Pandemic Has Proved That Nigerian Graduates Are Highly Employable / Reasons Why Most Nigerian Graduates Are Not Employable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Faposky95: 12:37pm On Dec 18, 2023
1TrippleCee:

I have trained close to 500 in the past five years. Also majorly here too. I do not charge. I have taken some in to leave with me all end up disappointing to even stealing my items. Only very few have turned up to the moment that my work showed. Those ones have moved on to setup their own businesses. But the percentage is small. Very very small. Majority just want the results and nothing else they don't want to go through the process of getting the results

Keep doing the good you're doing.....
Many are called, chosen are few.
Expecting all your mentees to be stars.....?!
One comes out from the bunch that makes the master proud.
The degrade in our socioeconomic norms have weakened character appreciation.
You're not Gen Z, are you...?
So, we have to realize the mess they're in and seek to do our best in amelioration.
What an Irony for a country

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Lovemeharder(f): 12:38pm On Dec 18, 2023
True
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by VULCAN(m): 12:41pm On Dec 18, 2023
This is one of them.

See how he mentioned Shell as if they are allowed to employ 100% foreigners but decided against it to employ Nigerians.

The Nigerians abroad carry many of the bad character traits that are found in abundance here.

The Nigerians who excel abroad have filtered out those nasty traits and embraced excellence

LikeAking:

Lies!

Yet Nigerians work in Shell, etc..

Same Nigerian work abroad too.

Go rest..

Your problem is impatience, you want instant perfection..

Na Nigerian mentality be your problem.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Wallade(m): 12:45pm On Dec 18, 2023
motymop:

There is no dignity in menial jobs everywhere in the world

Nobody will respect a door man or a garbage man, uber driver,window cleaner or security man anywhere in the world, most menial jobs are for people with no certificate and it is not a job of pride

There is a reason why jobs like pilot, engineer, lawyers and many other white collar jobs are respected and paid well abroad because you need your certificate, skills and experience to be in those profession.

The reason why majority of immigrants do menial jobs abroad is because they have no skills, experience or don't have the right certificate which makes them unemployable for white collar jobs

That is not the major reason. The majority of the migrants don't have work permit for such white and blue collar jobs.

Such countries will definitely prioritize white collar jobs for their citizens or migrants that are exceptional and schooled in their country or advanced countries.

There is no dignity in menial jobs but you are not in USA, Canada or advanced countries to demand respect. I don't need the respect, what I need is the dollar or pound - just pay me for the hours of work I have given abroad.

When I give 10years of my life to menial jobs and return to Nigeria and exchange the funds saved to naira over the years. We go no whatsup in terms economic power between you wey dey Nigeria as manager and person wey just return to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by TimT: 12:45pm On Dec 18, 2023
Wallade:

Which hand? You for ask me to join leg ni. The same Nigeria that our politicians and elites have bastardized and are still holding hostage.

Stop deceiving others even if you wanna deceive yourself.
Okay o...
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Wallade(m): 12:55pm On Dec 18, 2023
motymop:

This mentality is what made black bottom of the food chain in the country where they now live.

You are not thinking about career growth or trying to be a better person professionally, you are thinking about currency exchange as if you will be spending the money in your home country when you immigrate

Money and economic power talks and every other thing, including career growth and profession is bull.shit.

At the end of that career in Nigeria , give or take 35yrs, you will end up in business, services and trading world. That business is something your mate that left Nigeria to work like jaki as per menial jobs or whatever legal job, in the USA, return to Nigeria loaded with extraordinary fund owing to exchange rate, acquire properties and luxuries of life and start business like 5 - 10 years before you.

Bro, open up your mind. I am not asking you to quit your job in Nigeria but don't discourage those young, able with opportunity people form travelling in search of a better life.
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by motymop: 1:03pm On Dec 18, 2023
Wallade:

Money and economic power talks and every other thing, including career growth and profession is bull.shit.

At the end of that career in Nigeria , give or take 35yrs, you will end up in business, services and trading world. That business is something your mate that left Nigeria to work like jaki as per menial jobs or whatever legal job, in the USA, return to Nigeria loaded with extraordinary fund owing to exchange rate, acquire properties and luxuries of life and start business like 5 - 10 years before you.

Bro, open up your mind. I am not asking you to quit your job in Nigeria but don't discourage those young, able with opportunity people form travelling in search of a better life.

Money and economic power how?

How many returnees do you know in Nigeria living like dangote or odetola or millionaires in Nigeria?

you can not work menial jobs all your life in the western world and build something tangible in Nigeria, it will takes you years just to raise 20M naira doing menial jobs in Europe
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Nobody: 1:03pm On Dec 18, 2023
Wallade:

Don't waste your time with the guy he clearly lack sense or deep thought.

Which career growth is he talking about in Nigeria, how many people can boost of that and to what end, when most retire after 35 years with nothing to show for it.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by motymop: 1:06pm On Dec 18, 2023
Wallade:

That is not the major reason. The majority of the migrants don't have work permit for such white and blue collar jobs.

Such countries will definitely prioritize white collar jobs for their citizens or migrants that are exceptional and schooled in their country or advanced countries.

There is no dignity in menial jobs but you are not in USA, Canada or advanced countries to demand respect. I don't need the respect, what I need is the dollar or pound - just pay me for the hours of work I have given abroad.

When I give 10years of my life to menial jobs and return to Nigeria and exchange the funds saved to naira over the years. We go no whatsup in terms economic power between you wey dey Nigeria as manager and person wey just return to Nigeria.

Work permit is not the reason, the reason is lack of skills and certificate and academic excellences to work in white collar jobs

there are many Nigerians abroad with work permit but they still do menial jobs because they dont have the certificate and skills.

They only get them when they start going back to school but sometimes, it becomes late for them because employers need young people for some certain roles.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Nobody: 1:06pm On Dec 18, 2023
motymop:

How many returnees do you know in Nigeria living like dangote or odetola or millionaires in Nigeria?

you can not work menial jobs all your life in the western world and build something tangible in Nigeria, it will takes you years just to raise 20M naira doing menial jobs in Europe
And how long will it take to raise that amount in Nigeria, even while working a white collar job that pays an average of 100k talk more of a menial job in Nigeria.
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by motymop: 1:09pm On Dec 18, 2023
Lukepeter:

Don't waste your time with the guy he clearly lack sense or deep thought.

Which career growth is he talking about in Nigeria, how many people can boost of that and to what end, when most retire after 35 years with nothing to show for it.

you obviously have no clue about the Nigeria system

People who work in the government and the private sector retire with something tangible, there are PFA and PEncOM where people make contribution and plan for their retirement

Some people end up with 30-70M or even 100M after retirement

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by motymop: 1:15pm On Dec 18, 2023
Lukepeter:

And how long will it take to raise that amount in Nigeria, even while working a white collar job that pays an average of 100k talk more of a menial job in Nigeria.

You are short sighted

Jobs are not static, there are career progression in jobs, someone who starts with 100k, at the end of a 5-10 years can earn 800k -5M naira monthly, if he or she invest him or herself

They invest in a masters, invest in going to courses and also take the risk of changing jobs roles

It happens and it will continue to happen.

if an individual continues to do menial jobs for ever, then that person didnt invest in hi/herself, that is just common sense

even if you are a mechanic, and you invest in updating your skills and tools, you will be a millionaire in 10 years here in Nigeria
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 18, 2023
motymop:

you obviously have no clue about the Nigeria system

People who work in the government and the private sector retire with something tangible, there are PFA and PEncOM where people make contribution and plan for their retirement

Some people end up with 30-70M or even 100M after retirement
What's the percentage of Nigerians that have such opportunity? Not upto 2%, but that can't be said about the majority that are into menial job in Europe.

You can't use an exception to the rule to make your point, when you know fully well that majority of Nigeria graduates can't access those jobs to end up earning that.
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Wallade(m): 1:25pm On Dec 18, 2023
motymop:

Work permit is not the reason, the reason is lack of skills and certificate and academic excellences to work in white collar jobs

there are many Nigerians abroad with work permit but they still do menial jobs because they dont have the certificate and skills.

They only get them when they start going back to school but sometimes, it becomes late for them because employers need young people for some certain roles.

Oga, you can have work permit abroad and still have a Nigerian passport. It means you are not a citizen of that country.

You have a first degree and perhaps a masters degree from Nigerian school and you expect them to employ you ahead of a citizen or person trained in their country?

Certification can be earned while there in the advanced country, skills are acquired through training and on the job. If you don't give them the job, how will they acquire the skills and training.

I agree with you on this "They only get them when they start going back to school but sometimes, it becomes late for them because employers need young people for some certain roles"

However in the light of our shared sentiments above, should such Nigerians be waiting for that white or blue collar job or simply do brown collar job that is available with the plan to save as much as possible and return to Nigeria after some years at such job.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Dec 18, 2023
motymop:

You are short sighted

Jobs are not static, there are career progression in jobs, someone who starts with 100k, at the end of a 5-10 years can earn 800k -5M naira monthly, if he or she invest him or herself

They invest in a masters, invest in going to courses and also take the risk of changing jobs roles

It happens and it will continue to happen.

if an individual continues to do menial jobs for ever, then that person didnt invest in hi/herself, that is just common sense

even if you are a mechanic, and you invest in updating your skills and tools, you will be a millionaire in 10 years here in Nigeria

Guy relax, did the person also suggest that they would stick to a specific menial job forever; there is opportunity to learn truck driving, forklifting and others things to improve your pay.

At least what we are suggesting is attainable for the majority of those who intend to japa, can the same be said for the wishful thinking you are preaching? How many Nigerian graduates and youth can even boost of having 100k in his/her account at the moment.
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by LikeAking: 1:31pm On Dec 18, 2023
VULCAN:
This is one of them.

See how he mentioned Shell as if they are allowed to employ 100% foreigners but decided against it to employ Nigerians.

The Nigerians abroad carry many of the bad character traits that are found in abundance here.

The Nigerians who excel abroad have filtered out those nasty traits and embraced excellence

Go rest!
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Wallade(m): 1:32pm On Dec 18, 2023
motymop:

Are we all gonna be Dangote, Otedola and the elites? No!

Oga, stop deceiving yourself about the statement in bold alphabets, I know a lot of people that worked menial jobs abroad and returned to Nigeria to become highly powerful economically and loaded with resources. You just have to keep a focus and know what you are doing abroad.

You need to be schooled on earnings abroad even on menial job for you to comprehend what gap exists between the remuneration in Nigeria and USA Canada, UK and other countries.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by wizelink(m): 1:32pm On Dec 18, 2023
How does now get experience without working for you? Learn how to train your staff
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Leebeedo(m): 1:38pm On Dec 18, 2023
You are CORRECT!

I recruited a guy through this forum to be paid around N2m monthly for a Software Development job, only for him to attempt scamming me. This was someone I wanted to help oh. I just weak that day. Nonetheless, there are employable ones out there. It's just that they are rare.
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by InvertedHammer: 1:40pm On Dec 18, 2023
marienl:
I have had many experience interacting with people who need work
They like to Show their CV and certification which at the end they cant even follow simple instructions right
I wonder how many of them get their qualification?
This nation has a very long way to go no wonder we will even prefer to hire white man to come do work here because of experience.
You people should go and change
/
Universities in Nigeria have been turned to papermills where everyone runs to get the paper (aka certificates).
Most graduates have learned no requisite skills in their course of study. It is a cycle of attending lectures, memorizing, writing exams and passing(by all means necessary). Voila! A "graduate" is churned out after 4 years and released to the world to frustrate employers.

/

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by madone: 1:41pm On Dec 18, 2023
grin quote me if you think i am wrong. The truth is most if the people typing here don't have job ooo and they have not created any job.

2 Likes

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by boldsleek: 2:13pm On Dec 18, 2023
Ms202309:
cool

The difference between international HR and Nigerian HR

International HR actually give you work training and orientation to make your work better

Nigerian HR only cares about that Certificate you got many years ago, no retraining or orientation

I can still remember two different occasions

1: recruitment at Whogohost Lagos Nigeria

2: recruitment by Grand Excelsior Hotel Sharjah UAE

Whogohost wants a ready made IT guy

Grand Excelsior Hotel want a tailored made IT guy that would get trained atleast 3 months on basics of the Company

You have explained it all. This is just why the Nigerian HR feel some Nigerians are not employable.
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by GUNITGuy: 2:16pm On Dec 18, 2023
marienl:
They like to Show their CV and certification which at the end they cant even follow simple instructions right
This nation has a very long way to go no wonder we will even prefer to hire white man to come do work here because of experience.
My brother they're are bumblers every where ..People are all you've got
work with what you have .....
Train them to your taste and make them sign to work.for you for atleast 5years......
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by 1TrippleCee: 2:35pm On Dec 18, 2023
GUNITGuy:

My brother they're are bumblers every where ..People are all you've got
work with what you have .....
Train them to your taste and make them sign to work.for you for atleast 5years......

Once we train them and they see they've attained the knowledge, they quickly create a fiasco and resign without doing them anything wrong. I have decided to not impact knowledge deeply anymore

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by chaloskyx: 2:38pm On Dec 18, 2023
lol but many Nigerians who japa are actually employable no be say Naija even get companies like that o

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Cmeo(m): 2:52pm On Dec 18, 2023
Agreed, 100%
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Cmeo(m): 2:57pm On Dec 18, 2023
chaloskyx:
lol but many Nigerians who japa are actually employable no be say Naija even get companies like that o

Most of them japa to were employed in menial jobs or jobs less than what they left in Nigeria.
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Luu40: 2:57pm On Dec 18, 2023
marienl:

Very correct.
Education in Nigeria is relatively very cheap. That's probably the reason why most students never get enough knowledge, and can go out of their way to get certificates that have no weight.

I have earned more with the Microsoft Excel skill I learned online than my four year bachelor's degree.

And please if you're teaching anything that can fetch me an income (part time, and online) , I'll be willing to join if you can take me.

Thanks
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by Westerhoffe(m): 4:58pm On Dec 18, 2023
Couldn't agree less.
Re: Many Nigerians Are Not Actually Employable Like It Or Not! by NIGERDELTAIDOL: 5:18pm On Dec 18, 2023
And they rush them in foreign Lands,
You people just like to downgrade your people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cheating In Exxon Mobil HR / Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping? / NNPC PAST TEST AND INTERVIEW QUESTIONS FOR 2019 NNPC RECRUITMENT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.