Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,552 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison (49343 Views)

Man Declared Wanted For Shooting 11-Year-Old Boy Dead While Testing A Gun / Man declared wanted for using fake N90k to buy items in Ajah, Lagos. / Young Man Declared Missing After Traveling To Plateau Before The Massacre. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by domesifa(m): 3:22pm On Dec 21, 2023
An Oklahoma judge has exonerated a man who spent 48 years in prison for a murder he didn't commit, the longest known wrongful sentence in the US.

Glynn Simmons, 70, was freed in July after a district court found that crucial evidence in his case was not turned over to his defence lawyers.

On Monday, a county district attorney said there was not enough evidence to warrant a new trial.

In an order on Tuesday, Judge Amy Palumbo declared Mr Simmons innocent.

"This court finds by clear and convincing evidence that the offence for which Mr Simmons was convicted, sentenced and imprisoned... was not committed by Mr Simmons," said Oklahoma County District Judge Palumbo in her ruling.

"It's a lesson in resilience and tenacity," Mr Simmons told reporters after the decision, according to the Associated Press. "Don't let nobody tell you that it can't happen, because it really can."

Mr Simmons served 48 years, one month and 18 days in prison for the 1974 murder of Carolyn Sue Rogers during a liquor store robbery in an Oklahoma City suburb.

Mr Simmons was 22 years old when he and a co-defendant, Don Roberts, were convicted and sentenced to death in 1975.

The punishments were later reduced to life in prison because of US Supreme Court rulings on the death penalty.

Mr Simmons had maintained his innocence, saying he was in his home state of Louisiana at the time of the murder.

Mr Simmons smiled as the court declared his innocence on Tuesday. Dressed in a grey hooded sweater and fedora, a soft-spoken Mr Simmons later told reporters he had been waiting for this moment for a "long, long time".

"What's been done can't be undone, but there can be accountability," he said.

A district court vacated his sentence in July after finding that prosecutors had not turned over all evidence to defence lawyers, including that a witness had identified other suspects.

Mr Simmons and Mr Roberts were convicted in part because of testimony from a teenager who had been shot in the back of the head. The teenager pointed to several other men during police line-ups and later contradicted some of her own testimony, the National Registry of Exonerations said.

Mr Roberts was released on parole in 2008.

Wrongfully convicted people who serve time in Oklahoma are eligible for up to $175,000 (£138,000) in compensation.

Mr Simmons is currently battling liver cancer, according to his GoFundMe, which has raised thousands of dollars to help support his living costs and chemotherapy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67782907

16 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by 1TrippleCee: 3:24pm On Dec 21, 2023
Osanobua

201 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by immortalcrown(m): 3:31pm On Dec 21, 2023
Black don suffer for this world.

But who accused him? Where is the accuser now?

189 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Life2ways: 3:49pm On Dec 21, 2023
shocked shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Morbeta11(m): 4:06pm On Dec 21, 2023
Chai.....he should be adequately compensated.

55 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by talk2hb1(m): 5:45pm On Dec 21, 2023
I knew he is gonna be black

381 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by NSNO(m): 5:49pm On Dec 21, 2023
As I was scrolling I said to myself he must be a black person. I was not disappointed 😥

296 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Tuzzyjohnson(m): 5:56pm On Dec 21, 2023
Haaa. Ogun idile.

Curse

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Emeskhalifa(m): 7:26pm On Dec 21, 2023
Make e sue dem make dem pay am for damages

8 Likes

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by deji17: 7:27pm On Dec 21, 2023
Stories like this is common in the US. Some of us laugh when ignorant people that has never left the shore of Nigeria will be telling you about "saner climes".

It's like the way other Africans look and appreciate Nigeria based on what they see in our movies and music videos. The big houses, nice dress, big cars, opulence, the portrayal of abundant wealth etc. And many Nigerians will be wondering, what are they talking about? Is it the same Nigeria or they are discussing another Nigeria?? grin grin
US is not just what you see on movies. The glamour, the splendour, the affluence, etc. There are ugly sides of the USA too. But where they are smarter than us is that they don't denigrate their country for any reason.

It rains and pours everywhere.

184 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by fajob: 7:27pm On Dec 21, 2023
Haaaaaaaaa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by AOB1: 7:27pm On Dec 21, 2023
sad
Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by wwwtortoise(m): 7:27pm On Dec 21, 2023
Injustice served in court of justice by unjust humans with legal backing.

Question now is: How do they right this wrong?

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by x123xlolls(m): 7:28pm On Dec 21, 2023
grin
Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by NAC1666: 7:28pm On Dec 21, 2023
domesifa:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67782907
From the headline,I already knew he was a black man

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by mannasseh(m): 7:28pm On Dec 21, 2023
Here is finally back and running.
Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by bigdammyj: 7:29pm On Dec 21, 2023
Hard luck.
Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Roboto11: 7:29pm On Dec 21, 2023
1TrippleCee:
Osanobua

shocked

4 Likes

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Jh0wsef(m): 7:29pm On Dec 21, 2023
God forbid bad thing.

5 Likes

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by sukkot: 7:29pm On Dec 21, 2023
Lol
Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Newton1045: 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2023
Such injustice

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Creamypie(m): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2023
America justice system bad pass our own

10 Likes

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by fasho01(m): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2023
Was certain he was going to be a black man when I opened this. So much injustice and profiling for the black folks out there

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by forgiveness: 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2023
Human being na human being. For it's America.
Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by Femmyfamous4u(m): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2023
I knew it. It must be a black person.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by RealEzee(m): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2023
I know say na black man dem do dis tin

$175k for wat kwa after da long years
Wat of those dat wrongfully convict him na wen dia sentence dey start ?

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by reyscrub(m): 7:31pm On Dec 21, 2023
The best thing is to employee him as the prison supervisor and coordinator.

Simple

10 Likes

Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by endsarrrs(f): 7:31pm On Dec 21, 2023
Injustice
Re: Man Declared Innocent After Spending 48 Years In US Prison by chaddy16: 7:31pm On Dec 21, 2023
Thank you God for liberating him. He'll just be amused seeing how the world looks like now

14 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ojo Ayodele: Soldier Kills Himself & Mistress After He "Misfired Service Rifle" / Father Brutalises His Own Children In Lagos (photos) / I Was Caught For Bypassing My Meter, What Should Be My Next Action Pls?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.