Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,099 members, 7,814,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano (32050 Views)

Shoprite Confirms Exit From Nigeria / Shoprite Ilorin Locks Doors As Crowd Stormed Their Store / Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by maleekberry: 9:08am On Dec 24, 2023
Retail Supermarkets Nigeria Limited, owners of the popular Shoprite Mall, recently announced its intention to cease operation in its Kano branch, North West, Nigeria from January 14, 2024.

This was contained in a circular signed by the management of the supermarket.

The store, located in Ado Bayero Mall, said it would not continue operations in the state due to the current financial situation of the mall in the state, as well as the difficult business climate in the country.

In the circular, the supermarket noted that the decision was regrettable but however necessary, hinting that all the employees working at the mall would be laid off once it ceases operation in the state.

Meanwhile, there are underlying factors said to have been responsible for the planned relocation. Daily Trust unearthed the factors responsible for the exit of the supermarket.

It was gathered that one of the major reasons is that Shoprite pays rent to Ado Bayero Mall a wholesome amount of N66million on a monthly basis, aside from the independent electricity bill they get from the Kano Electricity Distribution Company (KEDCO), and the cost of fuelling and maintenance of its standby generator.

This is also aside the salary of staff and other expenses incurred for the day to day running of the business outfit.

On the issue of rent, this translates to the supermarket paying a wholesome amount of N792m in a year and over N1billion when summed up with staff salaries, electricity, running cost, maintenance, among others.

Speaking on the condition of anonymity, a shop owner in the mall told our correspondent that all the reasons given by the mall were valid as it had been witnessing decline from customers’ patronage since the last two years.

“Since the last two years, the entire mall has been witnessing reduction of customers due to the dwindling economic situation in the country.

“It is the elite that mostly buy expensive things from here, and they only form a minority of the customers. Secondly, they don’t come around often. Business can’t go well like that.

“The average Kano resident is struggling with finances and cannot afford to come and spend recklessly here.

“If you study carefully, the place has been reduced to where you come to buy time, take pictures and other things and move out. Averagely, people go into Shoprite to buy drinks, ice cream and chocolate that is not more than N1000. Now, looking at the kind of services they render, how much would they make in a month to pay N66million and get profit?”

Another businessman who owns a place in the mall but asked not to be named revealed that a medium business space in the mall is given out at the rate of N3m and N4.5m quarterly, which he described as too expensive.

“A shop like mine here starts from N3m to N4.5m quarterly, and this is beside electricity provided by the mall. We pay at least N120,000 to N150,000 every month for electricity.

“Majority of the shop owners are just struggling to stay afloat. I don’t think it is hard to say they are making that kind of money to pay their rent. They are just paying rent alone.

“Like the one next to me here, I know that he has other subsidiaries outside, and I believe those ones are the ones keeping the one here. You know some elite class would probably be comfortable coming to the one here than other shops that are much more public.

“Two people have confirmed to me that the mall here is the most expensive in the country compared to the ones in Abuja and Lagos,” he said.

Daily Trust on Sunday further looked at the effect of the development on businesses outside the mall and how it will have a negative influence on them as it is surrounded by plazas filled with different types of business entities.

While it was gathered that some shop owners inside the mall have relocated to these plazas, there is the fear that the exit of Shoprite will affect them negatively.

Bashir Abdullahi also said, “You see, many people coming around here do so because of Shoprite. You can see different kinds of people and I don’t have to tell you.
“Some businesses here get additional customers because of the mall, and 80 per cent of them were coming to Shoprite before they saw us. It will surely affect our businesses here.”

The main reasons

The secretary, National Association of Supermarkets, Umar Habu Ibrahim, also said that while there are a lot of supermarkets that have closed shops in the state recently, the case of Shoprite is different.

He said, “There are a lot of factors responsible for the close down of supermarkets. One is the economic situation and the rate of foreign exchange and cost of transportation. It has affected them seriously.

“Games first exited for almost a year now. The reasons why Shoprite is closing is first, exchange rate because they import wares from abroad; secondly, it is not about patronage but non cordial relationship with Ado Bayero Mall.

“The mall, in my view, has no strategy and policy where the common man can invest. They give out rent based on square metres. We are not used to that, and you have to pay monthly.

Owing to the development, the Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, has moved to set machinery in place to halt the planned exit of Shoprite from the state.

A statement by Senator Barau’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Ismail Mudashir, noted that the Deputy President of the Senate would meet with the company’s management this week in Abuja over the matter.

The statement reads, “The Office of the Deputy President of the Senate has set machinery in place to halt the exit of Shoprite from Kano State.

“Senator Barau I Jibrin, CON, will meet with the management of the company this week, where the issue will be discussed and hopefully resolved.

“Yes, it is a pure business issue, but we will see what we can do to encourage them to rescind their decision and stay in Kano.

“As we all know, there are enormous business opportunities in Kano, the commercial nerve centre of northern Nigeria. At a time when we are scouting for investors, we will not fold our hands and allow them to leave,’’ he said.

https://dailytrust.com/real-reasons-behind-shoprites-planned-exit-from-kano/

8 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Aboks(m): 9:51am On Dec 24, 2023
naija oti lo

even business is striving to survive

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Shellsploit: 10:07am On Dec 24, 2023
Shorite ikeja following next!!!
Imagine paying 1 billion yearly
Hiw much come be there profit after tax?

Haba shocked

79 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Haydens: 10:07am On Dec 24, 2023
Nigeria is not fecund for business.

Politicians are killing everything in their goddamn CUNTry

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by nairalanda1(m): 10:08am On Dec 24, 2023
The naira is falling because we are not earning enough dollars, so imported goods become difficult to buy

We saw this in the 1970's when imported stuff got cheap because of high oil prices meaning more dollars. Then came the oil price crash, and then imported stuff got hard to see.

epainos:

Olodo researcher. grin The same dollar that is killing you is what you want to earn more. Chai!

As you can see the above response, this is how we know the intellectually deficient nairalander from the intellectual and intelligent nairalander. Those who have nothing to say, are abusive.

The above person has been reported approrpiately to the moderators. I do not abuse or insult anyone by my comment, and you can disagree with me without calling me an olodo

Good morning. We had our beloved site taken down because of people like this

And yes, laugh at me, call me a fool for doing this, but i do not go around calling people olodo.

CC Seun, nlfpmod.

Modified
epainos:

Mr researcher, I told you earlier that you are an olodo. Yes....you are. The problem with you is that you follow what your olodo lecturers tell you work....but Buhari refused to pay for your olodo work...lol. he did not fall for their cheap blackmail...and trust me...Jagaban will not too. Lol.

The same thing I told you that time, I will tell you again. You are always doing what you think is smart. Lol. And that you think is smart has not worked for us everytime...and you dont think it is time to look deeper. But you want govt to keep paying you for the olodo result.

By the way...why are you calling mods if you arent olodo? So, they can come bail you out? Olodo rabata. Olodo....grow some balls ...man up....and fsce this sh.it we are trashing out here. It is for the sake of Nigeria. Olodo...we will polish your brains...I am going to start with you. See...you will think out of the box by force. I am starting with you.

Olodo...be creative....why use nair.aland as yoyr moniker? Be innovative na. Olodo rabata. Na copy copy....follow follow you dey do all your life. Zero brain. Lol. grin Akamu brain wey wan chop govt. grin

Anyway...olodo square...go and learn why Russia decided to make her currency the only means to buy her oil. And learn how China refused to depend on dollars anymore...and its impact.

Olodo researcher. grin

Tinubu will not pay you for not using your common sense. A primary school teacher knows that when something doesnt work after many trials, there is need for a change. Only olodos like you snd your friends in the nigerian universities think you can get a different result doing what has been proven to not work. Olodo rabata! grin

You are a goat who wont stop pushing out trashes. And goats are meant to be stopped. Olodo rabata!

If you dont want to be called olodo...then use your head. Olodo raise to the power of infinity. angry Na only kunu you sabi....olodo rabata!!!

Well, I can't do much for this type of cases.

Good morning nairalanders, I have tried for this one.

He has been reported appropriately. I won't sink to his level by the way. cheesy If they ban am, him no like am. if they don't so what?

Modified

Nairalanders, we should be careful what we say here by the way. If you disagree with someone , do it with politeness and with restraint and with reasons. Just don't be calling someone olodo.

Am sure that if I abused the above person back, he would lose his head and start screaming.

Well, at the end, I know that i disagree with people here. But I will not abuse you directly. I am not that peevish. cheesy

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Enddy50ty(m): 10:08am On Dec 24, 2023
In a state like Kano it is better off as a Mosque 🕌 than a shopping center.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:08am On Dec 24, 2023
Empty-Hen should also do us good by exiting Nigeria. They are now a huge load of shit.

5 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by ehissi(m): 10:09am On Dec 24, 2023
G
Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Btruth: 10:09am On Dec 24, 2023
O.pari 😥
Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by madamgrace: 10:09am On Dec 24, 2023
This is crazy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Fcwilly: 10:10am On Dec 24, 2023
Violent region

4 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Alexlalax1(m): 10:10am On Dec 24, 2023
By the time tilumbu is through with una economy, una go get sense by force. "Commenting from Jupiter"

8 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by ecolime(m): 10:10am On Dec 24, 2023
nairalanda1:
The naira is falling because we are not earning enough dollars, so imported goods become difficult to buy

We saw this in the 1970's when imported stuff got cheap because of high oil prices meaning more dollars. Then came the oil price crash, and then imported stuff got hard to see.
Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by StraightGaay: 10:11am On Dec 24, 2023
It didn't favor them afterall
Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by payaseriy: 10:11am On Dec 24, 2023
Leodking what say thou?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by cenaman(m): 10:11am On Dec 24, 2023
Aboki dey do shoping?

1 Like

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Emperormartin(m): 10:12am On Dec 24, 2023
Finally the situation of the country is affecting those who voted for APC PDP an LP...

Economic hardship knows no one

12 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by freemonts87: 10:12am On Dec 24, 2023
They shouldn't go abeg. They're still very much needed.
Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by emoboy4u: 10:12am On Dec 24, 2023
70M per month?....Mad o

10 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by diggindeep: 10:12am On Dec 24, 2023
Another big business loss and unemployment rate looming in 2024.

15 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by MykellOni(m): 10:13am On Dec 24, 2023
A
Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Adasun(m): 10:13am On Dec 24, 2023
That's for those in ShopRite
Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by Geonigga(m): 10:13am On Dec 24, 2023
This is the essence of government subvention to businesses in order to sustain their operations even ensuring that there is reduction in taxes, electricity bill etc in order to sustain their operation considering the fact that if the business no longer in operation alot of persons from the state who form the major employees will be rendered jobless then causing more pressure in the state by adding to the current unemployment rate.

6 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by chrisifeanyi: 10:13am On Dec 24, 2023
The rent is much pls

10 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by seunlayi(m): 10:14am On Dec 24, 2023
Apc
Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by DesChyko: 10:15am On Dec 24, 2023
They can see how things look after this festive period. The highest percentage of luxury goods and what-nots are purchased during this period. They can compare their books to previous years and after factoring in inflation, make their decisions.

I'm not sure what effect the plans of the Deputy Senate President will have on their books though.

5 Likes

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by AbuTwins: 10:15am On Dec 24, 2023
Another thread to bash BAT and the APC government!

This is the drug of the Nigerian opposition!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Reasons Behind Shoprite’s Planned Exit From Kano by nothingspoil70: 10:16am On Dec 24, 2023
The only thriving business in the north at the moment is kidnapping and banditry. Any other form of business activity will fail.
Lagos is the only place in Nigeria at the moment where businesses flourish

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Skye Bank, First Bank Take Over Evans Medical Assets / What Can Five Naira Note Buy Nowadays? / N800 For Stamp Duty Charge? Diamond Bank Sent This Message To Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.