Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,386 members, 7,812,139 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:55 AM

Planning To Resign From Current Job - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Planning To Resign From Current Job (14777 Views)

Why Do Narcissist Get Angry When You Decide To Resign From Their Company / Should I Resign From This Job? Pls Help Me / Can A Soldier Resign From The Force? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Femabol01: 10:51am On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:
Good day friends and trust we are coping with the current state of things

I plan to resign from my current job by the end of February 2024 so that I can go into full time agriculture. That's my discipline from school anyway.

I've been able to raise just 1 million naira within a year and 2 months and the plan is to plant cassava and maize on a 12 acre farmland I'm about to secure.

6k per acre of land

I also plan to use about an acre for planting pepper and tomatoes.

I hope I'm not making a hasty decision by resigning from my job soon.
Start small and learn before taking the next step. That's my own piece of advice.

1 Like

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by ItswellMike: 10:51am On Dec 26, 2023
Decision too hasty...
Am into agric, save more and invest gradually.and watch it grow. Don't resign
kilisi:

I plan to resign from my current job by the end of February 2024 so that I can go into full time agriculture. That's my discipline from school anyway.

I've been able to raise just 1 million naira within a year and 2 months and the plan is to plant cassava and maize on a 12 acre farmland I'm about to secure.

6k per acre of land

1 Like

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Actuarydeji(m): 10:53am On Dec 26, 2023
He is making the right decision. Guy, please life is all about risk. I will advise you go into farming and employ someone to take care of the farm for you.
Skyfornia:
Assuming you planted the cassavas..it will take months for them to be harvested. So how will you feed and take care of your bills during the period of waiting?

So I'd suggest you continue with your job while engaging in the farming till your crops are harvested so you can be able to pay your bills.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Shawlambivert(m): 10:55am On Dec 26, 2023
Pls don't resign just yet. Practical Agriculture can be very dicey especially if you're just starting. It's my discipline as well and that's all I've been doing since after my grad in 2011 but trust me, it takes time.
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by olamike02: 10:55am On Dec 26, 2023
Is it not possible for you to run the two together simultaneously until it demands for your full presence. Then you can ease yourself out of your job. Outside is not smiling 🤔
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by abba190: 10:57am On Dec 26, 2023
i need your former job abeg link me with ur employers
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by benzion72(m): 10:58am On Dec 26, 2023
Agriculture is the toughest job in town. Kindly factor in Fulani marauder they are everywhere. Factor in thieves who don't plant but ready to harvest. My advice to you is to maintain your current job and go into any Agriculture that you can do as side hustle like cat fish farming and smoking. My ten kobo advise

1 Like

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by SavageResponse(m): 10:58am On Dec 26, 2023
MASTAkiLLAh:
you're talking to someone who studied agriculture, what makes you think he'll be a novice like your friend ?

And so what if he studied Agriculture in school?

There is something called "Route-to-market" therefore before you commence any production process you must an established channel for marketing and distribution of your output.

If he goes ahead to plant without having contacts of traders farm agents who will buy from him when it's harvest time most of his farm produce will rot in his hands
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by omoadeleye(m): 10:59am On Dec 26, 2023
LikeAking:
Japa!

Gerraut from this thread.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by aimalohi: 11:09am On Dec 26, 2023
Can't u start it an still be doing ur current job. U know ur business in still in d infact stage so u need other income.e to build it.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by ibrahass: 11:16am On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

Thanks for the reply.

First of all, there is high demand for the produce I intend planting.
Secondly, I'm planning to use workers for the majority of the work. Labour is relatively cheap here and there are plans for post harvest preservation and probably processing.

If you are planning to use workers for the majority of the work, then don't resign.
create little time out of your limited time to monitor your farm till after your first harvest.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Amonijosh1: 11:16am On Dec 26, 2023
why rush to resign, start gradually and learn from experience
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by mamaafrik(m): 11:17am On Dec 26, 2023
Don't resign yet,start the Business while you are working(while you Coordinate it with your trusted wife or family members)if anything goes wrong you have a plan B.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Chicagograduate(m): 11:24am On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

Are you going to use mechanical farm tools or the regular hoes and cutlasses?Also your location matters.If Fulani herdsmen cattle eat your crops you go run at loss.
Farming is not a profitable business at the moment.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by obinna58(m): 11:25am On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

Exactly what I’m budgeting on, specifically maize farming for my poultry journey, don’t know how to go about it yet.

How does this renting land work abeg, I seriously wanna do this
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by LikeAking: 11:32am On Dec 26, 2023
omoadeleye:

Gerraut from this thread.

U people don’t think..

We all know op can’t japa with 1mill plus.

Op focus should be on japaing..

That’s my point..
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Antai123(m): 11:35am On Dec 26, 2023
Please can u refer me to your job, I'm an accountant.

Anyway think about your decision well. But please I need job.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 11:36am On Dec 26, 2023
SavageResponse:

And so what if he studied Agriculture in school?

There is something called "Route-to-market" therefore before you commence any production process you must an established channel for marketing and distribution of your output.

If he goes ahead to plant without having contacts of traders farm agents who will buy from him when it's harvest time most of his farm produce will rot in his hands
s and you just believe he hasn't done his homework abi ? Dr Negative undecided
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Druss(m): 11:38am On Dec 26, 2023
Get the business going before leaving your job.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by kilisi(m): 11:40am On Dec 26, 2023
Wow! Just came back online now and realised that the thread has been moved to front page. Thanks everyone for taking your time to read and comment.

Let me answer the few questions I can remember while going through the comments.

I have practical experience in this field about five years ago until everything went south mostly due to a fault of mine. This time, adequate measures have been taken to avoid a reoccurrence. of such incidence. There is no problem of Fulani Herdsmen in this area. There is a ready made buyer, an acquaintance who buys cassava from farms at bulk for a company he works with.

I hope I've covered some of the questions raised.

Finally, I will consider having the farming business alongside my current job at least until the first harvest. That way, I can save more money and will be better equipped.

1 Like

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Areacleo: 11:41am On Dec 26, 2023
Well not a bad idea may God be with you tho.

Zottons smart homes,
We are dedicated team of smart home providers, let's turn your home to a Smarthome today, an ecosystem synchronise by either a simple touch control or voice commands, from our smart security doors, infotainment systems, smart lighting, smart curtains/blinders, temperature controls system, automated vacuum cleaner, smart toilet, security camera, solar panels and batteries,
We at Zottons will tailor your Smarthome ecosystem according to your needs and your budget. Call us today on 081. 63301////355. Or email Zottonssmarthomes@gmail.com
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by AkhereOkaka(m): 11:42am On Dec 26, 2023
LikeAking:
Japa!

Japa to where with one million naira?? A million naira is less than a thousand dollar.

We rise by lifting others
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by SavageMaster: 11:44am On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

Have you already planted something?

One Million is not big money. Retain your job and test the water first. By middle of the year, if everything is going as planned you can then go full time
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by liver123(m): 11:46am On Dec 26, 2023
Bro with that your 1million look for a Keke napep that it can afford. enter road and operate your thing, you will see how much you be making at the end of the day. That's my plan too this coming year .
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by sulakishop(m): 11:46am On Dec 26, 2023
I can only advise you to start the process before resignation because you need to feed and a means of financial fallback. You will pay workers buy herbicides, control pests, tools etc all will cost money and might go beyond the 1m when you start. Think twice
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by emmyN(m): 11:52am On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:
Wow! Just came back online now and realised that the thread has been moved to front page. Thanks everyone for taking your time to read and comment.

Let me answer the few questions I can remember while going through the comments.

I have practical experience in this field about five years ago until everything went south mostly due to a fault of mine. This time, adequate measures have been taken to avoid a reoccurrence. of such incidence. There is no problem of Fulani Herdsmen in this area. There is a ready made buyer, an acquaintance who buys cassava from farms at bulk for a company he works with.

I hope I've covered some of the questions raised.

Finally, I will consider having the farming business alongside my current job at least until the first harvest. That way, I can save more money and will be better equipped.

If you really did not think about this initially, then you need to reevaluate your whole plan to be sure it is foolproof.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by emerged01(m): 12:01pm On Dec 26, 2023
DrDoc:
One million can never do all these things
Even half a million self will be ok. Do you think it is that expensive to go into agriculture?
Land are idle,even owners are begging people to plant on them for free.
There are a lot of land that can be leased at rate of 50k for many years,it depends on the owners.
There was a time I wanted to plant cassava,I was asked to bring 2k to rent an acre per year and to clear it for 4k per acre.
Security na main issue.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Femisol(m): 12:04pm On Dec 26, 2023
After treating you anyhow they will now say it’s spiritual instead of changing their bad characters .For this singular reason I don’t see why we should marry and give birth.
Westernlove:

I usually look at some of you who said they don't have job.

If you see some Job, You will eventually run. Most jobs in Nigeria are created to take away your peace of mind and make your life more miserable.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by kilisi(m): 12:05pm On Dec 26, 2023
emmyN:

If you really did not think about this initially, then you need to reevaluate your whole plan to be sure it is foolproof.

I actually gave it a thought but dismissed it considering how gruelling and sapping it's going to be combining the two. But more importantly, finding a reliable person to supervise the land preparation and planting work (weeding, making ridges, planting and spraying herbicide) can be a problem. If I can get one, then I will stay on my current job.
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by tnerro1(m): 12:20pm On Dec 26, 2023
Check well if their are heardmen in that area, that’s the first priority with farming these days in Nigeria
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by Kasdat5(m): 12:20pm On Dec 26, 2023
kilisi:

6k per acre of land

What's your location?
Re: Planning To Resign From Current Job by kilisi(m): 12:23pm On Dec 26, 2023
Kasdat5:

What's your location?
Ibadan, close to Ogun state.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Job-seekers: Describe Your Ideal Job! / Should Relatives, Friends Know The Exact Amount You Earn / Career Path To Becoming A Diplomat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.